• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First User created map for UT3 on PS3 is available - More tomorrow

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fixed2BeBroken said:
im sure he wants to attract more people to his game...hence...casuals who havent played his game yet because most hardcore gamers have already tried UT at least once.
or are you denying this too?
All evidence points the fact that they're trying to attract more people to buy the game (not just have played it) by putting it on as many platforms as is feasible, where there are audiences that would be interested in this type of game. It's not about altering the fundamental game to attract a wider audience, it's about putting the game in more places where the audience that matches the game might be.

noobs can get in and get a frag or two easy and feel like they did something and walk away happy.
Someone like that isn't very likely to bother with DLC in the first place.

skrew

Banned
well let the "casuals" download official dlc from psn

its sad when the same people that defend paying for p2p gaming will bitch about how hard it is to unzip and install a free user created map, if it bothers you that much then filter those servers out and wait till sony forces epic to release their dlc for money, then go buy the dlc and play it

i don't need console gaming to regress to the cell phone model of being complete closed off and expensive for the sake of "casuals"

itxaka

Defeatist
dralla said:
DM17 COMING SOON. IM GOING TO COME

[]http://i5.tinypic.com/82c0yn8.jpg[/IMG]

oh no....fuck, time to buy a PS3. I just cannot let this game pass...I´ll wait two months maximun...

OH GOD, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!

Now give me some Unreal Tournament maps and I´m sold.

Firewire

Banned
Ok I downloaded it, Stuffit Expander opened it. Now I have a folder on my desktop thats labeled PS3, do I just take this folder onto my USB stick and onto the PS3? Or do I take something from inside the folder?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Firewire said:
Ok I downloaded it, Stuffit Expander opened it. Now I have a folder on my desktop thats labeled PS3, do I just take this folder onto my USB stick and onto the PS3? Or do I take something from inside the folder?

lol see Wollen

Put it in a usb stick and your all set.

Firewire

Banned
OverHeat said:
lol see Wollen

Put it in a usb stick and your all set.

I thought so! Its just I can't open that 1up page that had the instructions on it, and I just wanted to be sure.

Also is Epic releasing more stuff today? I thought that 1up article yesterday said something was coming today!

Finally got the 1up page opened!

Tomorrow we're planning to release some more user-created content: a mutator, a couple more maps, and a new game type!

Awesome!

Slavik81

theBishop said:
I tried out the left-analog+mouse combo last night for the first time. it takes some getting used to, but its far more convenient for the livingroom than a full-on KB/M setup. And I found the Enforcers are suddenly useful when you can aim more precisely.
Does anyone know if the splitfish controller any good? I've been eyeing it for a little while because I want mouse support, but I'm not too concerned about having a keyboard too.

UT3 seems to have all the right options. Keyboard and mouse support, custom maps, mods... I'm on the verge of buying it just for how awesome their console implementation is. So many games these days are PC-centric games running on consoles (See: Orange Box, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Oblivion), but the console versions are always so gimped. It's nice to see that someone finally is giving console owners more options.

skrew said:
i don't need console gaming to regress to the cell phone model of being complete closed off and expensive for the sake of "casuals"
Buying a cellphone is probably the worst experience I've ever had. Dear god, I hope not.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
[sigh]

I wish public schools would be more strict on thier comprehension/reading exams.
Oh really? I'm done with you asshole.

It's their not thier :lol Asshat.
kaching said:
How the hell is someone casual if they download dlc "all the time"?
There not.

It's some really flawed logic or maybe even bias? I guess it's easier to pay right off xbl
_leech_ said:
If you explain things like that you can make anything sound hard.

"Well, to brush my teeth i'll have to get out of bed, walk to the washroom, turn the faucet to the right or middle (but not the left!), grab the right tooth paste, put the tooth paste on the tooth brush (assuming I know where my tooth brush is), open my mouth, and then start brushing."
I love the facet part.
turn the faucet to the right or middle (but not the left!)
:lol

FFChris

God damn I hope MS and Epic somehow to come an agreement so 360 players can get this kind of stuff. It's a pretty big step for console owners!

Firewire

Banned
Dante said:
Cool, I plan on playing a bunch of Unreal over the break.

I can't stop playing this because its just so much fun. I keep meaning to get back to Resistance clan nights, but I just get into UT3 so much I either forget or can't pull myself away!

RavenFox

Banned
Wollan said:
Late to this thread but are people seriously complaining about the difficulty of transfering this user (pc) created material to the PS3?
How much fucking easier can it be than this!? You put it on a USB dongle or a HDD and connect it to your PS3. Blatant trolling.
2007 man and people seem to lack basic computer skills. Mind you the very ones in this thread posting on this forum.

Chemo said:

0_0 Nuff said

InterMoniker said:
Oh really? I'm done with you asshole.

It's their not thier :lol Asshat.

There not.

It's some really flawed logic or maybe even bias? I guess it's easier to pay right off xbl
I love the facet part. :lol

you know what's great? first you call me a troll when you had no right to...then you flame me and call me an "asshat" while trying to correct my mistake with the spelling of "their" as if each post is an english essay being turned into a composition course instructor.
and in the very same post, you misuse the word "there" when you should be using "they're"
if you are gonna be a grammer prick...at least get your own grammer right in the same post.

lastly, its funny how you ignore all the points brought up, and even ignore the example of someone actually unsure about the process in this very same thread...

instead of trying to actually continue the discussion and trying to provide some counter points like kaching...all you do is flame and talk shit.

grow up

<edit>
oh and a casual downloading dlc isn't flawed logic. it happens. if you have proof that says otherwise...then...by all means.....

Firewire

Banned
Pics of the three new maps added today!

Deathmatch - Elevation
DM-Elevation_01.jpg

VCTF - Slax
2006109212153905569_rs.jpg

Deathmatch - Krodan
krodan5.jpg

4 New maps in about 24hrs & 1 Mutator! Awesome!

Darth Sonik said:
How long before there are 'Gears of War' maps on PS3? :D
That would be pretty cool actually. I remember playing UT2004 on a Super Mario map with pipes and everything. I would like to see something like that in UT3.

Firewire

Banned
^^^ Can't wait to try the new maps out a bit latter.

General Question about mods, are they all pretty well DM? Can they be used in TDM?

Forsete

Gold Member
Darth Sonik said:

Actually that shouldnt be so hard once the patch for UnrealEd is released, correct? The maps should be on the PC version.

Darth Sonik said:

You'll see all sorts of stuff once epic doesn't have to cook them and people get their hands around the editor. There are all sorts of zany UT and UT2k4 maps people have made...

About mods...theres a spectrum. Most of my favorite happen to be DM mods, such as jailbreak, but there are mods that are completely different than anything that came with the game. One such that we used to play in 2k4 (we being gaffers) is called carball. It's like soccer, but with cars. It was fun, though it was really hard. There was also a top down shooter called alien swarm that was quite good. If you're talking about mutators, which fit ontop of existing game modes to change various parameters, theres a spectrum of them. Some are only for DM, some can be used in any game type.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
you know what's great? first you call me a troll when you had no right to...then you flame me and call me an "asshat" while trying to correct my mistake with the spelling of "their" as if each post is an english essay being turned into a composition course instructor.
and in the very same post, you misuse the word "there" when you should be using "they're"
if you are gonna be a grammer prick...at least get your own grammer right in the same post.

lastly, its funny how you ignore all the points brought up, and even ignore the example of someone actually unsure about the process in this very same thread...

instead of trying to actually continue the discussion and trying to provide some counter points like kaching...all you do is flame and talk shit.

grow up

<edit>
oh and a casual downloading dlc isn't flawed logic. it happens. if you have proof that says otherwise...then...by all means.....
Yeah it should have been they are or they're. I'm not afraid to admit a misteak ;)

I still don't get why you have to make this process of adding mods sound more complicated than it is. Especially since it sounds like you completely understand it. But hey if it seems that complex then buy all means complain away and buy DLC!!!

grendelrt

Adding the maps now. Does anyone know if it auto downloads maps you do not have when playing online and you connect to a custom game, like the old versions of unreal. That would be badass :D

grendelrt said:
Adding the maps now. Does anyone know if it auto downloads maps you do not have when playing online and you connect to a custom game, like the old versions of unreal. That would be badass :D

I beleive it doesn't. They don't want to make the assumption that the user has the bandwidth. I suppose it's not an option because the number of people who think they have the bandwidth and would ruin the connection for the people they're playing with probably outnumber the number of people who actually have the bandwidth. That, and it would be an easy way to get a HUGE host advantage if you did, which wouldn't be fair.

grendelrt

Just an FYI, you have to put each map individually on the stick and transfer them. A moderator on the Epic forums said it is possible to make it so you put all the maps in one mod file, but they kept them seperate so people could pick and choose which ones they wanted.

Firewire

Banned
grendelrt said:
Just an FYI, you have to put each map individually on the stick and transfer them. A moderator on the Epic forums said it is possible to make it so you put all the maps in one mod file, but they kept them seperate so people could pick and choose which ones they wanted.

I but them all on my memory stick. I just re-named them PS3-1, PS3-2!

I hope it works when I upload them to the PS3!

CBal2424

Banned
Krogan is awesome, I hope epic is putting sometime into a patch so this fucking game stops freezing when I try to join a dedicated server sometimes, it just happend three times in a row, its sad that when I join a server I have to pray for the fucker to not freeze

So do epic have to give the green light to any mod or map that wants to run on the ps3, or will there be an option to pack up any ut3 extra you want and install it on the ps3 version?

"So do epic have to give the green light to any mod or map that wants to run on the ps3, or will there be an option to pack up any ut3 extra you want and install it on the ps3 version?"

It generally won't go through epic at all. However since the PS3 cook tool isn't yet in Unreal Ed (for the public), these first few were converted by Epic.

OldJadedGamer said:
I found an interesting quote from Phil Harrison that seems rather funny in light of these mods requiring a PC to install:

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC"

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9547
Wow thats old some grudge you have there! :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fixed2BeBroken said:
What proof is needed? If someone is doing something "all the time" that doesn't fit the definition of casual and reflects someone with more avid interest. Not surprising though, that the definitions of "casual" and "hardcore" gamers are pretty arbitrary around here, based on what fits the argument of the moment.

M3Freak said:
I have to play with you, Bob. Sutdawg and I both want to play more, but the mic problem is really screwing shit up. I want to whine about my crappy skills to all of you!
I'm still confused about 'mic issues' I can talk to anyone fine, is everyone mad that you have to press the talk button instead on open chat? It hasn't bothered me at all but then again i'm just playing random people and don't really want to talk to them anyway.

Basch

Firewire said:

Deathmatch - Elevation
DM-Elevation_01.jpg

VCTF - Slax
2006109212153905569_rs.jpg

Deathmatch - Krodan
krodan5.jpg

*GULP* These are user created? Looks like I might need some practice before I put something out. :lol Those are sexy pics, though. Lame wireless connection, why do you have to prevent me from having all these goodies?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dechaios said:
Can someone confirm to me that user-created maps will never happen on 360?
I don't think that's a certainty at all. Epic have commented that they are working with MS to figure out how they'll be able to offer the downloadable content, just like for the PS3. It's just a matter of when that will happen.

Bebpo

Banned
Firewire said:

Damn those look nice. I'd probably be content even if UT3 was the only game I had available to play over this winter holiday.

It's a bit of a pain transfering each match seperatly, but even so these new maps are just awesome - heres hoping they release some Assault gametype maps in the future.

Tieno said:
How big are these maps? Probably going to get this if this keeps up.

Varies from about 7mb-18mb so far.

Top Bottom