• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First User created map for UT3 on PS3 is available - More tomorrow

Users shouldn't be serving 20MB maps to dozens of people.
Users shouldn't also be going through complicated processes to get custom maps. You enter a chicken/egg situation where some people have the map, but you don't, and then you're on a server where the next map is one you don't have and you get booted off. Worst experience ever.

Compromise is one like Bungie has setup. A central repository that you can upload your maps to. So if you go to a server that has a custom map, then it downloads the map automatically from the central repository.

Omar Ismail said:
Compromise is one like Bungie has setup. A central repository that you can upload your maps to. So if you go to a server that has a custom map, then it downloads the map automatically from the central repository.

like I said earlier...however...that takes alot of extra work and money....and bungie...can do something like that with the sales and forecasted sales of halo 3...

not sure if epic can in regards to ut3.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
-hey, i want a this new map that wont let me join some games on ut3.
-how do i get it
-oh i gotta goto my pc in my room. how do i put it on my ps3? oh i gotta get a memory stick/usb stick.
-ok bought a cheap one for like 40 bucks.
-so now i gotta unzip it to my usb stick. how do I unzip. let me google that. ok, thats actually easier than I thought.
-ok, now to get this map onto my unreal tournament 3!
-ok, now i gotta go eject this usb stick and goto my living room to install this one map onto my ps3.
-ok in the living room and putting in the usb stick and now i gotta follow these instructions to get it on there.

sorry, its not the same as just connecting ur ipod and transferring files over.
of course its "fucking simple" for you and me.
but its a bit tedious in the console realm these days no matter how you slice it.

when dealing in a casual realm, its gotta be streamlined and intuitive.

but as I said before...it would be alot more work for epic, and I am unsure if the sales will warrant that.

Thats the bit that lets your argument down at this moment, ps3 isnt a casuals machine yet and unreal tournment 3 is not a game the wii fat crowd will be running out and buying anytime soon is it. And tbh it is as simple as updating your ipod, if you have ever downloaded anything off the internet you have delt with winrar and then its a simple thing of poping it on a memory card and putting it in your machine. Could it have been easier ermm yeah more than likely but apart from direct downloading the map on your ps3 i cant see how it could be any easier than it is.

supermackem said:
Thats the bit that lets your argument down at this moment, ps3 isnt a casuals machine yet and unreal tournment 3 is not a game the wii fat crowd will be running out and buying anytime soon is it. And tbh it is as simple as updating your ipod, if you have ever downloaded anything off the internet you have delt with winrar and then its a simple thing of poping it on a memory card and putting it in your machine. Could it have been easier ermm yeah more than likely but apart from direct downloading the map on your ps3 i cant see how it could be any easier than it is.

dont see how it could be easier? look at bungie.

and you are missing the point. you say "ut3" isn't a casual persons game...but the point of putting these games on consoles is to get the casual crowd into them. why would anyone release a game hoping only the hardcore audience buys it? "we don't want to make more money...thats our motto at epic"....uh no

and going off what TheRipDizz said earlier...

If Epic wants this thing to take off on consoles, attain mass appeal and force Microsoft to change their retarded stance, the inconvienence and complexity involved in obtaining the mods means they are going to fail miserably. If they don't want those things, it's a nice little checkmark for their game that a limited number of people will take advantage of.

then you can't go this route...plain and simple.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Hm, okay, so the UE3 editor can't cook for PS3 out of the box just yet and that will be coming in an update soon, which means the floodgates will open. Maybe then I can get my X axis mutator and buy the dang game

Does anyone know (perhaps from experience with the PC version) if enabling mutators has any sort of side-effects if you want to play online? Any restrictions?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doel said:
All I know is that if someone created a kick ass SOCOM 1/2 mod, this game's sales would noticeably go up on the charts.
There's an idea. From now on, anybody that wants to bitch about how long it's taking Sony to get the next iteration of their franchises out, we can just say, "Why don't you cook up a copy in UE3 yourself and show 'em how it's done?"

Grayman

kaching said:
There's an idea. From now on, anybody that wants to bitch about how long it's taking Sony to get the next iteration of their franchises out, we can just say, "Why don't you cook up a copy in UE3 yourself and show 'em how it's done?"
The counter to that is "why doesn't sony?"

squicken

polyh3dron said:
This is awesome. Microsoft would never allow something this free and this cool.

I can't imagine why MS wouldn't want to allow such an elegant and simple process to be available over XBL.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
gcubed said:
thats the problem, with poor pc sales, the mods wont be there for the consoles
Pretty much. The PC Unreal fans seem to be sticking with U3. We don't really know if it will change or not. But it is definitely off to a bumpy start

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
squicken said:
I can't imagine why MS wouldn't want to allow such an elegant and simple process to be available over XBL.

If PS3 could unzip files you wouldn't even need a PC to install these mods. Making them, yeah, but not installing them.

dralla

DM17 COMING SOON. IM GOING TO COME

82c0yn8.jpg

Teknopathetic said:
"some games like Far Cry on Xbox had custom maps you could make using really shitty tools, but they were never at this level."

"Im pretty sure far cry has user created maps on both xbox and xbox360, not like how this is but it was still user created"

What's the point of mentioning it then? Excitebike allowed you to make super limited custom tracks, whoopie?

because they were atleast shared maps online that were created by other people.

and would a usb flash drive let me transfer things also?

Lord Phol

Fixed2BeBroken said:
-how do i get it
-oh i gotta goto my pc in my room. how do i put it on my ps3? oh i gotta get a memory stick/usb stick.
-so now i gotta unzip it to my usb stick. how do I unzip. let me google that. ok, thats actually easier than I thought.
-ok, now i gotta go eject this usb stick and goto my living room to install this one map onto my ps3.
-ok in the living room and putting in the usb stick and now i gotta follow these instructions to get it on there.

but its a bit tedious in the console realm these days no matter how you slice it.

but as I said before...it would be alot more work for epic, and I am unsure if the sales will warrant that.

I for one actually had some hard time figuring out how the hell the Ipod+Itunes thing worked... >.>.
Such as stupid piece of resource hogging shit :x.

dralla said:
DM17 COMING SOON. IM GOING TO COME

Is that one of the other maps coming out today, man im loving this game atm. The added free user made maps if they are the level of this first one then i will be very very happy.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I predict this game will be a slow burner that will gain momentum with every new map that comes out. The fact I downloaded a free map onto my PSP that I then easily passed on to my PS3 and there is more content to come is just awesome. AWESOME.

Chorazin

According to the manual, if you host a game with a new map/mutator, you can distribute the map and it will automatically download unless you cancel the download manually.

Has anyone tried it?

andycapps

This is very cool news. For those complaining that this is too hard for the average user to do, I doubt your average user is going to care about extra maps for the game. The maps that comes with it will probably be just fine for them. Everyone on these boards are hardcore gamers, at least to an extent, and should have no problem going through the simple process of putting these maps on their PS3. But there's always the possibility that Epic could streamline the process later to make it more accessible for casual users (doing the whole process in-game from the PS3).

mandiller

Fixed2BeBroken said:
-how do i get it

Holy crap. If noobs can manage to downgrade their PSP's I'm sure they can copy a file onto a memory stick. Besides, what 'casual' gamer is going to be playing UT3? Honestly.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
-how do i get it
Stop assuming that console gamers have the technical knowledge of an Apple user.

Steroyd

This is just the first little taste of modding on Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3.

Epic didn't make this map. Thomas did and he already released it for PC users of UT3. We didn't do any editing or changes to it. All we did was bring it into the editor and "cook" it into the proper format for the PlayStation 3 and tested it to make sure it ran properly and was good fun. We're waiting on some paperwork from Sony that will allow us to release an editor update so mod creators can do this cook process for themselves. We expect to have that very soon.

Whoa!

I'm torn, with these games getting patches new maps and what have you may, I'm even MORE paranoid importing stuff than I ever did. :|

Can't wait till Feb, should be some nice mods to download by then. :D

"Best MP map ever redone in UT3."

Sorry holmes, that's Deck. Not like you'd really know what the best maps in UT3 are, but there ya go.

Gattsu25

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

Sorry holmes, that's Deck. Not like you'd really know what the best maps in UT3 are, but there ya go.
I actually find it funny that a Q3A map was even labeled the 'best MP map ever' in any context of the phrase.

RoH

Quick question. If I am the host and I have this new map in cycle, will it be downloaded from me by the connecting users?

tanod

when is my burrito
CaptainABAB said:
It's a little disappointing that it has to go through an "approval" process. That will only make Epic/Sony the bottleneck.

It didn't go through an approval process. Since this is the first one to be publically released, they tested it to make sure it worked right.

Borys

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

I know what Deck16 is. Piece of shit. Even Morpheus is better not to mention Facing Worlds :p

The Longest Yard > all of them, though.

Borys

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I actually find it funny that a Q3A map was even labeled the 'best MP map ever' in any context of the phrase.

Sorry Holmes but it's the best map ever to test your skill, aim and agility.

I logged around 200 hours on that single map alone.

You wouldn't even know what fragged you if you'd play me there.

Pachimari

Is Unreal Tournament 3 region-free? So that I can import it from USA and play it online on my european console and account?

besada

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Still, card readers are dirt cheap.

I just used my USB stick. While I did have to get up off my Big Comfy CouchTM, it wasn't too difficult. And I love this game. It gets my adrenaline pumping more than most FPS's. The speed is fantastic, as are the lovely gibs.

I'm a total alt-fire flak cannon whore, though.

Oh, and on Shrine, there's a tunnel that runs under the length of the shrine. In the tunnel? The Redeemer. Ridiculous weapon for this map, as you can literally kill everyone on the field without too much work. But so fun. I just wish I had a headset, so I could hear them curse me.

Top Bottom