• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First User created map for UT3 on PS3 is available - More tomorrow

Tieno

Bootaaay said:
It's a bit of a pain transfering each match seperatly, but even so these new maps are just awesome - heres hoping they release some Assault gametype maps in the future.

Varies from about 7mb-18mb so far.
Wow, I was expecting like 100's+mb.

Regards to transfering maps, Sony should update the PS3 browser (or the XMB, whatever) kind of like how can you download PS3 themes.

FabCam

+2 in sales if these mods work without any hiccups. I thought that they wouldn't be able to do it because of legal issues, but if these new maps start coming I'm getting 2 (1 for me and 1 for a friend :D )

Firewire

Banned
Tieno said:
Wow, I was expecting like 100's+mb.

Regards to transfering maps, Sony should update the PS3 browser (or the XMB, whatever) kind of like how can you download PS3 themes.
they are working on it!

besada

Banned
Dechaios said:
Can someone confirm to me that user-created maps will never happen on 360?

No, no one can confirm that.

Totally stoked about three more new maps. Keep em rolling UT3, and you get all my attention for some time to come.

Firewire

Banned
FabCam said:
+2 in sales if these mods work without any hiccups. I thought that they wouldn't be able to do it because of legal issues, but if these new maps start coming I'm getting 2 (1 for me and 1 for a friend :D )
just played 3 of the 4 maps with no problems at all! you would think Epic made them!

besada

Banned
Ok, well that sucks. I copied the contents of the various PS3 folders into a single folder, but UT3 doesn't appear to like that. It loads the mutator and none of the maps. A little irritating that I'm going to have to do them one at a time.

Oops. It was my fault. The way I copied them overwrote.

Edit: Ok, not my fault. Each mod is pathed using the same path and file names, so you can't move all four in at once. You'll have to move each map one at a time, unless someone else has found a way.

Now I play.

Aeon712

Holy Crap maps, are out... Now I have to look through this thread to download them:D. UT3 just became even more awesome then it already is.

This really is a big step for console gaming. The trouble with what Bungie have just offered with the Foundry map is that all the user content ends up looking the same.

besada

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, it was quicker than I expected, it took maybe 2 minutes max to install 4 maps.

I renamed all four of them so all I had to do was delete one and rename it before reinserting the usb stick. Of course, I have a laptop so I just stood there next to the box.

besada said:
I renamed all four of them so all I had to do was delete one and rename it before reinserting the usb stick. Of course, I have a laptop so I just stood there next to the box.

I just unzipped them all on my desktop and quickly went back and forth from my ps3 to my pc, but there werent any problems at all, the only thing I didnt install is the one that looks like a new game mode or something.

Firewire said:
Elevation is blowing me away! Its awesome!

im gonna jump online and try them all out, but I am actually most excited to try out the new VCTF map, I AM SICK OF CONTAINMENT, I dont get why its always the map for VCTF!

Firewire

Banned
Linkzg said:
I just unzipped them all on my desktop and quickly went back and forth from my ps3 to my pc, but there werent any problems at all, the only thing I didnt install is the one that looks like a new game mode or something.

im gonna jump online and try them all out, but I am actually most excited to try out the new VCTF map, I AM SICK OF CONTAINMENT, I dont get why its always the map for VCTF!
Is the new game mode up?

Firewire

Banned
Linkzg said:
im assuming "4 - Mutator: VASUT3AutoShields by KalCorp" is the new mode, im not sure tho.
no that one is for shields, new game mode should be out soon, but they ran into a problem.

besada

Banned
I love the fact that a) you can vote on the next map, b)every player looks really different, and c)omfg I love the Darkwalker tripodthingee. Vort! Vort!

I also just got my first Monster Kill using dual pistols. I sprinted through the room and everyone just walked into my sights. I felt like Chow Yun-Fat, mofos!

LukeSmith

Pretty excellent first step into getting user generated content from two different platforms. I'd imagine if it does well there will be simpler submission and approval owners for map makers going forward.

dralla

besada said:
I love the fact that a) you can vote on the next map, b)every player looks really different, and c)omfg I love the Darkwalker tripodthingee. Vort! Vort!

I just found out the DW can actually climb the giant area in the middle of Sandstorm. I took the elevator up there only to be greeted by a DW ascending the side of the structure and shooting me in teh face :[

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
dralla said:
I just found out the DW can actually climb the giant area in the middle of Sandstorm. I took the elevator up there only to be greeted by a DW ascending the side of the structure and shooting me in teh face :[
Haha, I love the Necris vehicles, btw what is your PSN Name?

Firewire

Banned
dralla said:
give us some more awesome vids please!

I love these new maps but I wish the distribution model for them on PS3 was not as convoluted as it is. Like people have said, there will be those who know how to do this and then there will be those who will not bother to learn.

What I would like to see is a specific release date for these maps on a weekly or monthly basis but since it's all user generated that will be a problem. I'm worried that with my busy schedule that I will miss some great content because I simply can't keep up with it.

Is it easy to find an online game with people using the new content?

kaching said:
What proof is needed? If someone is doing something "all the time" that doesn't fit the definition of casual and reflects someone with more avid interest. Not surprising though, that the definitions of "casual" and "hardcore" gamers are pretty arbitrary around here, based on what fits the argument of the moment.

so, if someone downloads dlc all the time for the game they like the most, does that make them a hardcore gamer?

are you serious? just cause someone downloads dlc for the games they like to play, does that "Define" them as "Hardcore" ?
I have friends who are far from what anyone would consider a "hardcore gamer" but they download DLC for thier favorite games....all the time...yes (its not like dlc comes out every single day....for most games theres like 1 dlc or 2 dlc packs total in its life span)

i disagree if thats what you are saying, or maybe you are reading too much into what I am saying.

InterMoniker said:
I still don't get why you have to make this process of adding mods sound more complicated than it is. Especially since it sounds like you completely understand it. But hey if it seems that complex then buy all means complain away and buy DLC!!!

I still don't get why you keep trying to bring xbl into this when I personally have not even compared this whole situation to XBL itself.

apparently you have some agenda that you are trying to push and instead of discussing what I am saying, you are ignoring it all and trying to turn this into a system war debate. how old are you?

lol, there's no point in continuing this with you, cause you'll keep ignoring the actual issue like a politician.

DoctorWho said:
I love these new maps but I wish the distribution model for them on PS3 was not as convoluted as it is. Like people have said, there will be those who know how to do this and then there will be those who will not bother to learn.

What I would like to see is a specific release date for these maps on a weekly or monthly basis but since it's all user generated that will be a problem. I'm worried that with my busy schedule that I will miss some great content because I simply can't keep up with it.

Is it easy to find an online game with people using the new content?

"OMG, GTFO TROLL!!!!"

skrew

Banned
are you fucking kidding me? how long before dlc for you favorite games came out? how often?

anyone who downloads dlc often should be ecstatic that maps are coming out so often, and they will be flooding in soon... for free

yes the downloading and install process could be simpler, but they already said they are working on making it easier for user. The endless bitching seems pointless as the positive of this first step to stop this bullshit pay for everything cellphone model FAR outweighs it inconvenience, which should be fixed soon.

Aeon712

OMG I hate shrine, I've never finished negative till playing that map.

Elevation is sick, first time I was shot into the air I was like wtf there was no lift near me. Then while fighting Firewire I was shot up into the air again. That's also how my kill streak ended with me jumping while the lift shot me in the air to launch me in the sky off the map to fall to my doom :lol.

The other map is beyond sick, it even has water that you can swim in :D.

Mrbob

Wow DM17 and Morpheus. May have to get this sooner than later, on ps3.

Epic needs to bring assault mode back. Huge bummer it is gone.

tanod

when is my burrito
LukeSmith said:
Pretty excellent first step into getting user generated content from two different platforms. I'd imagine if it does well there will be simpler submission and approval owners for map makers going forward.

After Epic updates the consumer version of the Unreal editor, every thing is fair game. No approval/checking required.

Top Bottom