• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First White House petition demands Trump release tax returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

Serious question
what if he releases his tax return and it is been cleaned up and basically is "nothing to see here" kind of deal...how do we know if it is fake?

Who knows, maybe this is their tactic...

Heartfyre

I see that it's gone over 100,000 signatures now.

If he doesn't release his tax returns, I hope it haunts him in the same way that he made the long-form birth certificate haunt Obama. It's only right and just.

benjipwns

Banned
Wasn't the WeThePeople thing an Obama initiative? Trump can just ignore this entirely.
No, Trump promised to be different than Obama.

No, they just have to address it.
Do people think that by getting 100,000 sigs that they are forced to release the documents?
In theory: New White House Petition Demands the White House Actually Answer White House Petitions
Mere weeks after it launched, people got so frustrated thousands of people signed a petition (and met the threshold) to get the White House to take the petitions seriously. Years later, the only significant change to the site is that they raised the threshold level from 25,000 signatures to 100,000. And when those petitions meet the threshold, they don’t go answered for months (Justin Bieber still roams free). And now there is a new petition on the White House site to––are you ready for this?––actually get the White House to respond to White House petitions in a timely manner.

Other petitions that have reached the 100,000 threshold and have received no answer to speak of include petitions to pardon Edward Snowden, let Tesla sell directly to consumers in every state, officially deem the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization, and allow Ukrainians 90-day visits in the United States without a visa. That last one was posted in February, the other three were posted last summer. And no response on any of them yet.

Serious question
what if he releases his tax return and it is been cleaned up and basically is "nothing to see here" kind of deal...how do we know if it is fake?

Who knows, maybe this is their tactic...

This is a decent theory because an individual tax return doesn't generally show debt issuance and repayment. So we're likely not going to see who he "owes money to" as people claim.

I think it's more likely he doesn't pay any tax, or gets a refund, likely from Net Operating Losses in past years. Probably hasn't paid for 20+ years.

Karish

These things mean nothing. Us libs needs to spend less time patting ourselves on the back and smirking over shit like this

These things mean nothing. Us libs needs to spend less time patting ourselves on the back and smirking over shit like this

He's said that the people don't care about his tax returns, and that only the press is interested in it. This at least gives the press something they can point to and say "See? The public is concerned about this as well."

Phreaker

He's said that the people don't care about his tax returns, and that only the press is interested in it. This at least gives the press something they can point to and say "See? The public is concerned about this as well."

Exactly why I signed it. Not that I thought getting 100,000 signatures would actually get him to release them. If anything these petitions will probably have them shut the whole We The People petition site down. :)

Gotta do something though. I've been calling senators a lot lately, especially about Trump's terrible cabinet picks, but I admit that it feels equally useless.

"No I don’t think so. I won, when I became president. No, I don’t think they care at all. I don’t think they care at all.”

- President Trump

You're right, they should spend more time going around wagging their fingers telling other libs that whatever it is they're doing is a waste of time instead.

MUnited83

For you.

Yeah, we should spend our time in the internet telling other people what they should be doing, that would be a productive use of time.

No one is smirking. No one is patting themselves on the back. I doubt any one here truly expects DJT to see this and suddenly cave. Most of us suspect this will signal the end to the WH petition site altogether. This is just another avenue to keep his returns in the news and helps reveal what a pretext his excuse for not releasing them is. Demeaning the efforts of everyone signing this is a far greater waste of time.

ianpm31

signed. I doubt this petition will do anything. Trump or the white house will just make an excuse not to release the taxes and his base will eat up whatever they say. Remember what Trump said recently, only the media cares about it

Kellyanne Conway, counselor to President Donald Trump, said Sunday that the president would not be releasing his tax returns, reversing months of repeated campaign-trail promises to do so after an audit is completed.

Conway's comments came in response to a Whitehouse.gov petition with more than 200,000 signatures calling on Trump to release his tax returns. Any petition on the site that receives 100,000 signatures in 30 days receives a response from the White House; this petition reached twice that in two days.

"The White House response is that he's not going to release his tax returns," Conway said in an interview on ABC's "This Week."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...lease-tax-returns-white-house-adviser-n710511

Well, it's up to the hackers now. Get to it, Anonymous.

eagledare

It's at 265k now. I'd love to see this thing go over a million just so the administration's bullshit excuse of 'people don't care' rings that much more hollow.

Dang. I really thought this online petition was gonna be the one thing that worked.

Nothing we try is going to work, as in nothing will be the one thing that breaks Donald Trump.

What will eventually break him is the American people continuing to pound him and his administration on just about everything we possibly can, from all directions.

eagledare

Nothing we try is going to work, as in nothing will be the one thing that breaks Donald Trump.

What will eventually break him is the American people continuing to pound him and his administration on just about everything we possibly can, from all directions.

This. Gotta beat on that fascist bastard day in, day out, using all available methods of protest, until his egotism drives him insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom