• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
MWS Natural said:
I tried to do those should dislocations and almost ripped my arms out the socket lol. I have short thick arms that aren't really flexible at all.
Use a wider grip and start out slower.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
MWS Natural said:
I tried to do those should dislocations and almost ripped my arms out the socket lol. I have short thick arms that aren't really flexible at all.
Did you start off by doing them slowly and carefully?

MickeyKnox said:
Use a wider grip and start out slower.
Yeah, I would have to get something longer than my broom.
reilo said:
Did you start off by doing them slowly and carefully?
When I went slow I was able to complete it once. When I get a longer pole or something I will try it again. A coworker recommended to do it with Yoga bands.

reilo said:
Looks like parrotbreak, Mr Snrub, and X-Frame all talked about it, which lead to the link. Thanks fellas. It's a great, easy, yet effective exercise.
Right on, glad people are finding it useful! I dunno when I learned about them, but probably when I first learned bb training at least. I forgot that I actually had a broom in my apartment that I never use, so been doing them regularly again. I used to do them before any bb work but I forgot about them since lately I was focused on my lower back.

MjFrancis

I just do 3x12 whenever, never as a part of my workout. Usually the first two or three are relatively slow, then I speed up.

I have several light cylinder sticks I took out of my wood pile for this express purpose. They're not finished but absent of splinters, thankfully. I don't know what they were supposed to be for, but if I didn't grab them I would have chopped them up for kindling. Just happened to be sorting through the wood shed at the right time.

X-Frame

I started doing the dislocations about 4 years ago. I learned about them from Dante's IntenseMuscle forums (Doggcrapp).

I'm sure the stickied is still there in the DC Q&A forum.

I don't know if I trust them now though seeing as how I had a 2nd shoulder surgery since then. It's like half robotic by now.

Barrett2

Generally, how does riding a stationary bike compare to running for cardio / heart health?

I use to run 2x a week, but jacked up my ankle. I recently began riding a stationary bike almost every day, trying to get my blood pressure down. I ride for 30 minutes, at speed (18) on the bike. After 30 minutes I have burned approximately 300 calories, with a heart rate that is < 140 for first ten minutes, then 140-150 for next ten minutes, then 150-170 for final ten minutes, when I crank the speed up to (25).

To summarize, I ride bike for 30 min, heart rate > 150 for 20 min of that, and burn 300-ish calories. Is that equivalent to running about two miles? It's weird, riding the bike is so much less painful / intense on my body, it just "feels" like im' not getting the same level of workout, if that makes sense.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
lawblob said:
Generally, how does riding a stationary bike compare to running for cardio / heart health?

I use to run 2x a week, but jacked up my ankle. I recently began riding a stationary bike almost every day, trying to get my blood pressure down. I ride for 30 minutes, at speed (18) on the bike. After 30 minutes I have burned approximately 300 calories, with a heart rate that is < 140 for first ten minutes, then 140-150 for next ten minutes, then 150-170 for final ten minutes, when I crank the speed up to (25).

To summarize, I ride bike for 30 min, heart rate > 150 for 20 min of that, and burn 300-ish calories. Is that equivalent to running about two miles? It's weird, riding the bike is so much less painful / intense on my body, it just "feels" like im' not getting the same level of workout, if that makes sense.

I was able to lower my resting heart rate quite a bit, early on in my fitness progress, by using a stationary bike. Eventually though it became kind of a pain in the ass to keep my heart rate up high enough to get a significant cardio benefit.

Your heart rate is in effective ranges, so sure, nothing wrong with biking while you heal up.

MjFrancis said:
@Relio
I remember your knee, I just wasn't sure if you wanted to avoid barbell squats or every weighted leg exercise. Bodyweight squats should be easy on the knees, provided you ease into them, but I am less certain about the pistols. They stress my entire body more or less, and I could see how that could aggravate knee pain.

I'll try BB squats one more time. Narrow it down to that exercise alone and see if my knee still hurts. If I still feel pain, then I'm done with that. I have these brown K-Swiss shoes that are sturdy and flat on the bottom. I think they're good for squatting.

X-Frame said:
I started doing the dislocations about 4 years ago. I learned about them from Dante's IntenseMuscle forums (Doggcrapp).

I'm sure the stickied is still there in the DC Q&A forum.

I don't know if I trust them now though seeing as how I had a 2nd shoulder surgery since then. It's like half robotic by now.
.....you REALLY just made me think twice about doing these.

EviLore said:
I was able to lower my resting heart rate quite a bit, early on in my fitness progress, by using a stationary bike. Eventually though it became kind of a pain in the ass to keep my heart rate up high enough to get a significant cardio benefit.

Your heart rate is in effective ranges, so sure, nothing wrong with biking while you heal up.
He lives!

Parch

Just as a follow up to the questionable supplement advice from Dr. Ann De Wees Allen, the Queen of Arginine, this is the email response I got from the radio station that has her as a guest...

Thanks for the note. Interesting stuff.
I am aware of all of the negative writings regarding Dr.Allen.

But, as we talked with her and checked her science it is, as far as we can see, infallible. Especially when we listened to her address to the United Nations on the arginine research. (Not just anyone gets invited to speak at a United Nations Assembly).

When we checked out Success Magazine calling her work on dietary induced thermogenic Tea the product of the year and the News Week Lecture Series she headlined with 5 other reputable scientists we were intrigued to say the least.

But when, working with some NFL players, who were with the Bucs when they won the super bowl said to us Dr. Allen was a big part of it we were really intrigued. And her work with the US power-lifting association and Olympic Gold Medalists is well documented.

And, for me, when I saw that the claims on the science and products she has researched were backed by FDA CFR 21 guidelines there was nothing left to debate, this stuff is real.

So, I guess there will always be negative press if one is in the spot light, especially, in areas where there is little understanding and in such a cut throat industry as sport supplements and food science.

Bottom line, we'll have her on as often as we can. If you find a hole in her science let me know.
Thanks

So I don't know what to think. They seem to think she's legit, so I'm not going to argue with them. Perhaps her critics are the ones spreading misinformation. Beyond protein and caffeine, I'm not into sports supplements anymore so it doesn't really affect me that much. If there's a lesson learned, it only proves to me how much conflicting information there is.

Anyone with an office job who works out during lunch have tips on not smelling afterward? I barely have time to get a short run in and there's no shower facilities here. I changed my underwear and wiped down with paper towels in the bathroom, but I'm a sweaty bastard, especially now that it's summer. I don't smell myself, but not sure how others feel. Tried Wet Ones before but then I smell like Wet Ones all day.

MjFrancis

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'll try BB squats one more time. Narrow it down to that exercise alone and see if my knee still hurts. If I still feel pain, then I'm done with that. I have these brown K-Swiss shoes that are sturdy and flat on the bottom. I think they're good for squatting.
If you have access to a coach, reliable personal trainer or a veteran gym rat, they might be good sources to shore up any possible form tweaks. I'm guessing you have it down, but if there's a 5% tweak out there that can make it painless for your knee, it'd be worthwhile to try.

reilo

parrotbeak said:
Anyone with an office job who works out during lunch have tips on not smelling afterward? I barely have time to get a short run in and there's no shower facilities here. I changed my underwear and wiped down with paper towels in the bathroom, but I'm a sweaty bastard, especially now that it's summer. I don't smell myself, but not sure how others feel. Tried Wet Ones before but then I smell like Wet Ones all day.
I avoid doing cardio if I go at lunch, and thankfully I barely sweat even if I'm doing big compound exercises, but I will hop into a quick 3-min shower if I feel I need it.

reilo said:
I avoid doing cardio if I go at lunch, and thankfully I barely sweat even if I'm doing big compound exercises, but I will hop into a quick 3-min shower if I feel I need it.
I can't do anything without sweating. I sweat way more during cardio, of course, but even just lifting, my shirt will be sweaty afterward. Anyway, I don't have time to get to the gym, warm up and then lift. I really like a quick 20 minute run at lunch. It's hard to get going at first, but after I feel like my brain is recharged.

JaskoX1

Banned
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of gold standard whey protien isolates? 24g, 5.5g bcaa's - 31 servings. 100% Whey Protein.

My general workout includes biking (usually around 6-9 miles a day); speed rope'n, push ups, pullups - suicides and overall basketball play - that's what I do a day. No weight lifting really.

What would be best for a teen 5'10 weight: 145ish looking to gain some muscle.

Thanks to Copernicus for directing me here. This is the uncharted part of gaf I just discovered.

JaskoX1 said:
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of gold standard whey protien isolates? 24g, 5.5g bcaa's - 31 servings. 100% Whey Protein.

My general workout includes biking (usually around 6-9 miles a day); speed rope'n, push ups, pullups - suicides and overall basketball play - that's what I do a day. No weight lifting really.

Thanks to Copernicus for directing me here. This is the uncharted part of gaf I just discovered.

Does not compute.

You can gain muscle doing body weight, will just take longer and won't be as dramatic. Especially for a teen, you should gain muscle as you get into your late teens, early 20s if you remain active and eat right. I think it's cuz your metabolism slows.

But if you want to lift, check the OP and links. Check the OP for body weight stuff too. Actually just read the whole thing cuz it's awesome and you'll learn a lot.

As for protein supplements, I think most people agree it's best to get your protein from whole foods like chicken, tuna, eggs, milk, fish, etc. Powder is to help top things off or if you can't get real food for some reason. Some people say it's best to drink a protein shake soon after lifting to get the protein into your system fast, but I don't know of any actual studies. Dietary studies are often very difficult to conduct with good control. I do drink a couple scoops of powder after lifting myself, but only because it takes me a long time to get home and cook a meal after the gym.

dentoomw

JaskoX1 said:

One thing that you may consider a con is that it's not a protein mix such as some other brands, which provide you with a more sustained protein release throughout the day by mixing several kinds of protein together (whey, egg, casein).

Other than that though, it is a great brand. Not to many cons I can think of. No "filler" ingredients and it gets the job done. Their non-chocolate flavors taste a little artificial, but other than that it's definitely one of the better brands going around.

reilo

parrotbeak said:
I can't do anything without sweating. I sweat way more during cardio, of course, but even just lifting, my shirt will be sweaty afterward. Anyway, I don't have time to get to the gym, warm up and then lift. I really like a quick 20 minute run at lunch. It's hard to get going at first, but after I feel like my brain is recharged.
I know a friend of mine who sweats like mad no matter what. Then again, he goes full out no matter what workout he's doing.

Just got back to the gym after 6 days off. Feels good man. I'm liking bent over barbell rows and I like that it's a bit of a challenge. I could try to get the same workout out of the bent-over machine, but it just doesn't feel right.

Since I've started doing unassisted chin-ups a couple of weeks ago, my chin-ups are still at a 2-3 max rep per set limit, but the first 2 reps are getting easier and easier. It's just getting over that damn 3rd rep and into a 4th rep that I'm anxiously working towards. It doesn't help that I'm super lanky and 6'4, so I have a ways to travel, but I am doing them right and with perseverance, so I know the rep count will increase.

My arms are definitely my weakest area right now, but I gotta keep at it.

X-Frame said:
It wasn't as a result of these, I can assure you.
Cool I will give them a try. I have been thinking about trying Yoga to improve my flexibility but I need to find a school near me because I wouldn't try doing that stuff on my own.

JaskoX1 said:

Welcome to fitGAF!

There's no real cons to gold standard whey protein other than typical whey protien cons: Whey protien is absorbed fast. Which is good if you're trying to fit it inbetween meals, It won't keep you full long. Others prefer casien shake before bedtime since it will slowly digest overnight.

I'm a little confused about your routine, however, and what difference protien supplements are going to make. If you're doing intensive cardio on a daily basis I'm afraid your body is just going to metabolize your protien into glycogen (energy) to fuel all that activity. People who want to add muscle have to be carefull to leave some fuel in the tank to ensure your body has something to build with.

Ace 8095

What's the best assistance exercise for building size in the glutes? My quads and hamstrings are always worked hard during squats and deads, but my glutes never seem to feel the pain. My butt is starting to look underdeveloped in the process. The barbell glute bridge seems popular.

Ace 8095 said:
What's the best assistance exercise for building size in the glutes? My quads and hamstrings are always worked hard during squats and deads, but my glutes never seem to feel the pain. My butt is starting to look underdeveloped in the process. The barbell glute bridge seems popular.

In addition to the squat, I would suggest good mornings or RDL or still legged deadlifts. All three work your glutes and they are all great assistance exercises for deadlifts and squats.

FallingEdge said:
In addition to the squat, I would suggest good mornings or RDL or still legged deadlifts. All three work your glutes and they are all great assistance exercises for deadlifts and squats.

Or kneeling squats, which are nice because It will help correct your form in regular squat.

reilo

RobertM said:
Has anyone had any experience with dumbbells of ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-105-lbs-set...ltDomain_0&hash=item4aabe7cb25#ht_8433wt_1200

I can't afford a dumbbell rack, and for a $100 a set of 52 lb would be nice.
Looks like the same stuff you can buy in store:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2173649

You can buy additional plates for about a dollar per pound in 2.5, 5, 10, etc increments:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11225575&cp=4406646.4413986.4417718

X-Frame

Shit. I think I tweaked my shoulder Monday. I have full ROM and no pain with overhead movements so I don't think it's impingement, and there doesn't seem to any particular movement that makes it worse - it's just sore but feels like a deep soreness.

I also feel like it is out of my socket a tiny bit and that I need to push on the front delt to pop it in. I have a surgery in 2002 for dislocations so it would be horrible if I did something to damage the stuff in there.

My right shoulder is clearly hanging lower than my left looking in the mirror. Surgeon visit on Tuesday just in case. Gah!!

X-Frame said:
Shit. I think I tweaked my shoulder Monday. I have full ROM and no pain with overhead movements so I don't think it's impingement, and there doesn't seem to any particular movement that makes it worse - it's just sore but feels like a deep soreness.

I also feel like it is out of my socket a tiny bit and that I need to push on the front delt to pop it in. I have a surgery in 2002 for dislocations so it would be horrible if I did something to damage the stuff in there.

Well it's probably damaged if it's hanging lower. I went in a couple weeks ago for some shoulder pain and my doctor said I had instability in it and there wasn't really anything he could do.

MjFrancis

RobertM said:
If you are patient, I would highly recommend buying most fitness equipment secondhand. People like to think that they can displace effort with money, and when that doesn't work they unload the equipment they bought at a fraction of the original price. With a little perseverance you can find amazing deals.

When searching for "dumbbells" on Craigslist, don't forget to use common misspellings, either. "Dumbells" yields a ton of results.

parrotbeak said:
Baby wipes. I live in Vegas and sometimes bike to work about 7 miles. I duck into the bathroom and wipe down when I get there.

Works like a charm.

X-Frame

parrotbeak said:
Oh shit. How'd you dislocate it the first time? You must have been pretty young huh?
Freshmen basketball in high school. I was being a team player and dove for a loose ball .. but so did the other teams Center who missed the floor but landed on my shoulder.

Many times throughout the rest of the season and during baseball next season then JV football the following summer it must've popped out about 20 times. Finally had surgery the following summer.

Fixed it perfectly. In '04 when I started college I first picked up weights and had no pain, just like a 1% weakness compared to my left.

TheWiicast said:
Baby wipes. I live in Vegas and sometimes bike to work about 7 miles. I duck into the bathroom and wipe down when I get there.
Oh duh. Any particular brand that you like? Actually I have a few friends with newborns, I can just ask them. I guess I was just turned off by the Wet Ones smell, I didn't think about other baby wipe products.

reilo

parrotbeak said:
Oh duh. Any particular brand that you like? Actually I have a few friends with newborns, I can just ask them. I guess I was just turned off by the Wet Ones smell, I didn't think about other baby wipe products.
So you're perfectly okay smelling like a baby's ass? Cool!

RobertM

MjFrancis said:
If you are patient, I would highly recommend buying most fitness equipment secondhand. People like to think that they can displace effort with money, and when that doesn't work they unload the equipment they bought at a fraction of the original price. With a little perseverance you can find amazing deals.

When searching for "dumbbells" on Craigslist, don't forget to use common misspellings, either. "Dumbells" yields a ton of results.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I thought 105 lb (total) was a steal and why I asked.

RobertM said:
Has anyone had any experience with dumbbells of ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-105-lbs-set...ltDomain_0&hash=item4aabe7cb25#ht_8433wt_1200

I can't afford a dumbbell rack, and for a $100 a set of 52 lb would be nice.

They look like a decent set of dumbbells. If you don't want to go the secondhand or route, I'd recommend Walmart actually. I assembled a weight set for a decent price by buying the handles and plates from them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Dumbbell-Handle-with-Threaded-Ends/11089965

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cap-Barbell-1-Hole-Weight-Lifting-Plates/11099734

The quality is good and price per plate is awesome. I started with 35 pounds of plates for each handle, and it's been great for getting back into shape.

MjFrancis

RobertM said:
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I thought 105 lb (total) was a steal and why I asked.
Maybe not a steal, but it's definitely not a bad deal. Weights are weights up to a point, but quality is definitely worth something. I've upgraded a few times, buying better standard weights a few times and finally a good set of Olympic weights with a rack and bench. The eBay weights are around $1 a pound, which would be my upper limit for buying used weights. Even if the build quality was absolute crap they would still suffice without breaking the bank.

if you're looking for dumbbells i recommend this site: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0030.html . at most your standard 14 inch dumbbells only hold about 60-70 pounds if your lucky but with 18 inch long bars you can easily put on 100 pounds worth of weight on each, which makes it easier to progress steadily in your heavier lifts like the shoulder press, flat press, rows, etc. and after you get the bars if you look carefully enough through garage sales, smaller stores, or whatever you can get weights a lot cheaper than your standard 1-2d$/pound of weight.

edit: yeah i agree it's more wise to get fitness equipment second hand however, it's hard to come across dumbbell handles larger than your standard 14 inch.

So I put on three more pounds. I don't look any fatter so I'm assuming(hoping) that most of it is muscle. It's been around 10 weeks since I started steadily working out and my body has responded better than I had hoped. My posture is better; back pains from sitting and standing too long are almost completely gone. I've got tons more definition, especially in my back. Most importantly though, I've gotten stronger. I'm not going to enter any "World's Strongest Man" contests any time soon, but progress is progress. I switched my routine this week to since it was getting stale. It's a bit more intense now since I've been at it for a while.

I can do dips and wide-grip pull-ups with relative ease now. A few weeks ago, I couldn't do more than 3 or 4 in a row. I've increased in strength every exercise for my 3 sets of 8 style lifting. Just some quick examples:

One arm dumbbell row: 55(+35 lbs)
Incline dumbbell press: 50(+20 lbs)
Bench press: 125(+30 lbs)
Leg press: 270(+120 lbs)
Deadlift: 195(+60 lbs)
Squat: 205(+90 lbs)

That said, half of my battle at the gym has been mental. When you start off as weak as I did, you put the idea in you're head that you can't lift too much. The idea that you aren't strong enough; that you're going to take for ever to achieve what you're after. I've realized that this kind of mentality holds me back more than my body does. After a couple weeks of pushing myself and having a motivating friend/spotter, I've been gaining strength every week like clockwork. If you're just starting out don't get discouraged. Of course, you aren't me so you won't gain what I have. You might get more; you might get less. Bottom line is: if you stick with it and push your limits, you'll surprise yourself. /cornysoapbox

Hey guys, just wanted to start getting serious about this whole work out thing and had a few questions. Im only about 3-4 week into this after a VERY long time. In hs I was always very skinny 6'2" and 135lbs now after the years i finally gained weight but in all the wrong places (gut). basically even though I dont appear to be a fatass to anyone I really feel like one since I am not used to the weight and I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what they did to coupe with it. Also I would like to gain size in my arms...sorry Im done rambling.

Height:6'2"
Weight:190
Goal: Get cut and bigger arms
Current Training Schedule:

Mon-Wed-fri
Bench, incline bench, curls, pull downs, military press

Tue-thur-sat
run (about 4-6miles) sometimes to p90 plyo

Current Training Equipment Available: gym

JB1981

Thought this might be of interest to fitness-gaf. I am having a lot of back pain lately (i have a disc injury)and have been doing a lot of research and how to best attack and rehab the pain. I came across a website called backprofit.com. The site is home to Stuart McGill, professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON, Canada)

He conducted an interview and one of the more fascinating nuggets is his opinion of spinal flexion exercises, namely ab work like crunches, sit-ups, and how detrimental they are to the back and more specifically, spinal discs. Give a listen when you have a chance, the guy seems very knowledgeable.

http://www.backfitpro.com/media/interview.mp3

lbcyalater said:
Hey guys, just wanted to start getting serious about this whole work out thing and had a few questions. Im only about 3-4 week into this after a VERY long time. In hs I was always very skinny 6'2" and 135lbs now after the years i finally gained weight but in all the wrong places (gut). basically even though I dont appear to be a fatass to anyone I really feel like one since I am not used to the weight and I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what they did to coupe with it. Also I would like to gain size in my arms...sorry Im done rambling.

Height:6'2"
Weight:190
Goal: Get cut and bigger arms
Current Training Schedule:

Mon-Wed-fri
Bench, incline bench, curls, pull downs, military press

Tue-thur-sat
run (about 4-6miles) sometimes to p90 plyo

Current Training Equipment Available: gym

Legs? Upper/Lower Back?

Read up in the first few posts and follow the routine there. Can't go wrong with either StartingStrength or SL5x5

X-Frame

JB1981 said:
Thought this might be of interest to fitness-gaf. I am having a lot of back pain lately (i have a disc injury)and have been doing a lot of research and how to best attack and rehab the pain. I came across a website called backprofit.com. The site is home to Stuart McGill, professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON, Canada)

He conducted an interview and one of the more fascinating nuggets is his opinion of spinal flexion exercises, namely ab work like crunches, sit-ups, and how detrimental they are to the back and more specifically, spinal discs. Give a listen when you have a chance, the guy seems very knowledgeable.

http://www.backfitpro.com/media/interview.mp3

Watch this:

Stuart McGill in action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom