• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh man, another thing that involves spinal flexion... doing the dirty deed under the covers.

"Sorry, baby, but I gotta be straight as a plank. Would you mind being on top?"

Church RvB said:
I workout:
Monday- chest
Tuesday- back/shoulders
Thursday- legs
Friday- arms

I heard recently that you should workout muscle groups twice a week. Would it be wise to double up? Ex:

Monday- chest/back/shoulders
Tuesday- legs/arms
Thursday- chest/back/shoulders
Friday- legs/arms

If any more info is needed, let me know.

a lot of people benefit from more frequency versus more volume, so if you want to work out muscles twice a week you could try a push/pull routine or an upper/lower routine. for an upper/lower routine i would recommend lyle mcdonald's routine as seen here http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5978 . it doesn't use a lot of volume but it does concentrate heavily upon the core lifts and i think it is a very good routine.

perryfarrell said:
Agreed. The OP deserves at least a cardio/endurance section, which I wouldn't mind working on. I do a lotta cycling and have been reading up on interval training, heart rate zones, VO2max, lactic acid and all that. I'll try to whip something up.

It could even be argued that sedentary people who wanna lose weight are better served by a cardio-heavy exercise program than by a program build on muscle gain.
I for one would appreciate that. I haven't read anything on cardio in years and could use a refresher and probably myth debunking. Regardless of what is best for sedentary people, I think the reality is that most casual people will start with cardio and be intimidated by free weights.

Maxim726X

Buckethead said:
Drinking half your body weight in water... tedious shit.
I don't buy that, but trying to drink at least 72.

Downloaded Water Your Body app so that I can keep better track.

I was looking for something like this- Appreciate the heads up.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Getting close to where I want to be on this cut. Weighed in at 179 this morning and my weights are holding strong. I was 208 this winter at my heaviest for reference.

Got 130 flat DB press 5 times today. Other numbers that I'm happy with:

-240 BB incline 6 times....280 flat BB 5 times
-165 Shoulder press 4 times
-295 squat 5 times
-3 sets of pullups at 8 reps with 45lb hanging
-Some solid arm #'s but who cares.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Weight: 160lbs
Height: 5'10

Goal: Basically im getting old now. I am likely to spend the rest of my working life sat on my arse in front of a PC, plus my kids dont let me get a lot of sleep. So my goals really are just to be strong and healthy. More specifically I have been exercising on and off for a few years now but never really followed a strict program it was always more jsut a case of do whatever I felt like.

I dotn have gym access but I do have a barbell, dumbells, chin up bar, bench.

currently my program is this:

Monday

Turkish get up w dumbell 55lbs 10 per side. (If its sunny ill do it with a barbell outside but dont really want to be waving that around in the house)
DB bench 3x5 @ 130lbs total
Deadlift 1x5 @ 170lbs (could do more but need to buy more plates)
Wide grip pull ups 3x8

Wednesday

Turkish get up w dumbell 55lbs 10 per side.
OHPress 3x5 @ 100lbs
Power Cleans 3x5 @ 130lbs (still not entirely happy with my form on these)
Chin ups 3x 10

Friday

Same as Monday.

My glaring omission is obviously squats but Im lacking a rack. The get ups are engaging legs to some degree and I go running a couple of times a week but I do feel that legs are lacking in this routine. Any thoughts on Farmers Walks as a replacement for squats? At the minute I cant quite afford to spring for a squat rack.

MjFrancis

Good #'s Cooter, you have to be feeling pretty solid about now! I'd love to have your pullup strength right about now, lol!

---

My pull-up routine has lead me to 191 total reps this week. Less than last week, but yesterday I went for a 3-rep weighted max. I got up to 55lbs before making a pyramid back down (started with 25lbs and worked my way up in 10lb increments). Since I don't have a belt, it was hard enough to keep the dumbbell between my ankles and maintain form, so I didn't want to push it. It was definitely a lot of work, and it made my 2x10 set this morning feel heavy. My lats were having none of it whatsover!

Max endurance on Monday, can't wait to see how it goes.

---

mr afghan jones - That workout actually looks nice - I would do such a thing were I restricted with the same equipment. Once you're confident that the Form Criticism Brigade™ wouldn't jump down your throat, feel free to add more reps/sets to the deadlift. Add them based on your ability to recover from them - you don't want to screw up your power cleans on Wednesday, but if you're not squatting, you can certainly deadlift more often. I did that before I ever tried a max squat (no gym, no squat rack) but I also never pushed myself as much as I could have with the deadlift. Know your limits, but don't keep yourself down if you are capable of more.

Farmer's walks would be fun! I wouldn't consider them a replacement for squats, though, but as a supplement to your current routine, I'd say give them a try. I've considered implementing them for my conditioning lately. Speaking of, if you have the general goals of being "strong and healthy," take your conditioning seriously, too. I don't know what you do, but get out there and jog. Run. Sprint. Hike. Just walk for miles, if that's all you want to do. Cardiovascular conditioning is very important for all around health, and if you're ever in a situation where you need to sprint from something or someone, not getting winded in 30 seconds might be important to you.

mr afghan jones said:
Weight: 160lbs
Height: 5'10

Goal: Basically im getting old now. I am likely to spend the rest of my working life sat on my arse in front of a PC, plus my kids dont let me get a lot of sleep. So my goals really are just to be strong and healthy. More specifically I have been exercising on and off for a few years now but never really followed a strict program it was always more jsut a case of do whatever I felt like.

I dotn have gym access but I do have a barbell, dumbells, chin up bar, bench.

currently my program is this:

Monday

Turkish get up w dumbell 55lbs 10 per side. (If its sunny ill do it with a barbell outside but dont really want to be waving that around in the house)
DB bench 3x5 @ 130lbs total
Deadlift 1x5 @ 170lbs (could do more but need to buy more plates)
Wide grip pull ups 3x8

Wednesday

Turkish get up w dumbell 55lbs 10 per side.
OHPress 3x5 @ 100lbs
Power Cleans 3x5 @ 130lbs (still not entirely happy with my form on these)
Chin ups 3x 10

Friday

Same as Monday.

My glaring omission is obviously squats but Im lacking a rack. The get ups are engaging legs to some degree and I go running a couple of times a week but I do feel that legs are lacking in this routine. Any thoughts on Farmers Walks as a replacement for squats? At the minute I cant quite afford to spring for a squat rack.

How about weighted lunges? It sounds like you've got access to quite a lot of dumbbell, so you could progress with weighted lunges for awhile.

Cooter

MjFrancis said:
Good #'s Cooter, you have to be feeling pretty solid about now! I'd love to have your pullup strength right about now, lol!

---

My pull-up routine has lead me to 191 total reps this week. Less than last week, but yesterday I went for a 3-rep weighted max. I got up to 55lbs before making a pyramid back down (started with 25lbs and worked my way up in 10lb increments). Since I don't have a belt, it was hard enough to keep the dumbbell between my ankles and maintain form, so I didn't want to push it. It was definitely a lot of work, and it made my 2x10 set this morning feel heavy. My lats were having none of it whatsover!

Max endurance on Monday, can't wait to see how it goes.

You need a belt ASAP Francis. I actually did 10 with 25, 10 with 35, and 3 sets of 8 with 45. This was supersetted with heavy incline BB. It is exhausting. I love pull ups. I remember last summer I did them between every exercise one day and ended up doing 205 in about 2 hours. Fun times.

MjFrancis

I could see how you could get 205 in between sets for a two-hour workout. Impressive number for a single day! Did you do sets of 5 in between every set? Or maybe 10-15? I like sets of five when I superset chins or pulls so I can stay fresh for every set. I'm always impressed by Jim Wendler's pullup routine, in that he does 5x10 as a warmup before he even touches a barbell in the weight room. Then he does sets of ten between every pulling movement, warm-ups included. I've love to be at that place, but 5x10 would be my whole pullup workout right now! One day.

I'll look around and price a good belt to hang weight off of. The dumbbell thing, as stated, just doesn't cut it.

GiJoccin

Height: 6'3
Weight: 172
Goal: 180ish (strength is my main goal - current goals are 235x5 on the bench, 295x5 on squat)

Current Training Schedule: I did 5/3/1 all school year with good results, got much stronger and gained some weight. however the last 3 months i started doing upper/lower and working out a lot less regularly (school became HECTIC). i'd like to get more into eating the right things and focus on building some muscle over the next year.

Current Training Equipment Available: possible gym access until mid-august, definite gym access after that

Comments: i'm going back to 5/3/1, got great results with it. something about writing down what i'm doing does wonders for me. i'm adding power cleans to the deadlift day, because i really want to do powerlifts and get them down.

what i'd like help with is building a diet... i'm all for making a basic diet plan and sticking to it. i checked out fitday, and i'll probably use it - any recommendations for more food/nutrition resources i could use to build a diet for strength gains? 40% protein a good number to shoot for?

Cooter

MjFrancis said:
I could see how you could get 205 in between sets for a two-hour workout. Impressive number for a single day! Did you do sets of 5 in between every set? Or maybe 10-15? I like sets of five when I superset chins or pulls so I can stay fresh for every set. I'm always impressed by Jim Wendler's pullup routine, in that he does 5x10 as a warmup before he even touches a barbell in the weight room. Then he does sets of ten between every pulling movement, warm-ups included. I've love to be at that place, but 5x10 would be my whole pullup workout right now! One day.

I'll look around and price a good belt to hang weight off of. The dumbbell thing, as stated, just doesn't cut it.
It started out with 10-15 but was down to 6-8 when I made it to the mid 100's.

GiJoccin said:
Height: 6'3
Weight: 172
Goal: 180ish (strength is my main goal - current goals are 235x5 on the bench, 295x5 on squat)

Current Training Schedule: I did 5/3/1 all school year with good results, got much stronger and gained some weight. however the last 3 months i started doing upper/lower and working out a lot less regularly (school became HECTIC). i'd like to get more into eating the right things and focus on building some muscle over the next year.

Current Training Equipment Available: possible gym access until mid-august, definite gym access after that

Comments: i'm going back to 5/3/1, got great results with it. something about writing down what i'm doing does wonders for me. i'm adding power cleans to the deadlift day, because i really want to do powerlifts and get them down.

what i'd like help with is building a diet... i'm all for making a basic diet plan and sticking to it. i checked out fitday, and i'll probably use it - any recommendations for more food/nutrition resources i could use to build a diet for strength gains? 40% protein a good number to shoot for?

I would suggest Intermittent Fasting as a diet. I myself love it as it has made things so much easier.

LeanGains website
IF thread on BB.com
Calculating calories and macros

The main goal is to get at least a minimum of 1g/bw but 1.5 would prolly be better. I would check out those links to get a good start.

reilo

I've plateaued on my weight gain since I started working out 45 days ago. I'm up +15-17lbs (depends on time of day, heh) than I was when I started working out. Although I'm thinking that the weight gains have slowed simply because my body is shifting its resources to building muscles (hopefully) since my waist isn't expanding.

The good news, with my crazy fast metabolism, is that I'm not losing weight.

Cooter

reilo said:
I've plateaued on my weight gain since I started working out 45 days ago. I'm up +15-17lbs (depends on time of day, heh) than I was when I started working out. Although I'm thinking that the weight gains have slowed simply because my body is shifting its resources to building muscles (hopefully) since my waist isn't expanding.

The good news, with my crazy fast metabolism, is that I'm not losing weight.
Up your calories or decrease your cardio. Although 15 pounds in 45 days is huge. I wouldn't expect gains like that as you move forward. Try and focus on your strength gains as opposed to weight gains.

MjFrancis

Speaking of LeanGains, Martin posted another article last night found informative yet entertaining. Par for the course for him.

Is Late Night Eating Better for Fat Loss and Health?
Summary

Dietary epidemiology commonly find associations between certain meal patterns and higher BMI / body fatness. However, this association can solely be attributed to lifestyle-related factors and eating behaviors; snacking in front of the TV in the evening, making poor food choices in general, and so forth. People who eat more in the evening simply eat more calories, which explains why they weigh more.

Calorie-controlled studies looking at the effects of distributing a fixed caloric load differently throughout the day are scarce; I have listed all of them above. These tell a much different story than the one found in dietary epidemiology. While short-term studies (15-18 days) do not find a statistically significant difference between early and late meal patterns, long-term studies (>12 weeks) show that late eating patterns produce superior results on fat loss, body composition and/or diet adherence. This might be explained by more favorable nutrient partitioning after meals due to hormonal modulation.

I understand that these facts might be hard to swallow for some people, given everything we've heard about late night eating being bad, fattening, and so forth. But then again, we hear a lot of strange things in the fitness and health community. Rarely do these old wive's tales mix with reality; think of all the myths about fasting, alcohol and meal frequency, for example.

reilo

Cooter said:
Up your calories or decrease your cardio. Although 15 pounds in 45 days is huge. I wouldn't expect gains like that as you move forward. Try and focus on your strength gains as opposed to weight gains.
I've cut out all of my cardio a month ago once I stopped playing basketball (it's also a good mental measurement for me on my progress to see if I can increase my vert at all with squatting).

And yeah, I've been focusing on my strength, but I still feel like I'm 10-15lbs underweight for my height, but that will come with time so I'm not concerned.

deadbeef said:
I would perform horribly on 5/3/1 if I had fasted the entire day.

I myself do 5/3/1 while fasted. Martin suggests a reverse pyramid of lifting while on this diet. You don't fast all day but rather for 16 hours and eat for 8. Some suggested ways of doing this are working out at noon and then eating after that. Another protocol is to break the fast with a small meal and then lift. There are many different ways to go about this.

The LeanGains guide

reilo said:
I don't think I could fast for 16 hours (that would mean skipping breakfast). My body would drop weight very quickly.

You still eat your required calories, just instead of doing it all day, you do it in 8. So for example, if you need 2600 calories, you eat it in an 8 hour window. Nothing changes in that sense.

reilo

I don't think I could fast for 16 hours (that would mean skipping breakfast). My body would drop weight very quickly.

MjFrancis

Diet adherence is the primary concern here. If you couldn't go 8 waking hours without food (assuming 8 full hours of sleep) then I wouldn't suggest IF. It only works if you stick to it, like any other dietary lifestyle. It's not for everyone.

Sure is fun to bulk on, though. Two half-pound burgers, grilled asparagus and other veggies and a pint of ice cream makes for a wonderful meal/desert combination.

reilo

I see what you mean now.

Breakfast gets moved to noon, lunch gets moved to 3-4pm, and dinner can be eaten after work/workout, and then it's bed time.

So the latest time in that scenario I could eat is at 8pm.

MjFrancis

The LeanGains specific protocol calls for up to 25% of your day's calories pre-workout. Some people train on nothing more than a few BCAA's beforehand, but I eat a small meal about 3 hours before a quick pre-workout snack to get me going. Post-workout is where the fun begins.

deadbeef

deadbeef said:
If we're talking squats, I put mine on when I get near 85% effort.

Speaking of squats I finished the Smolov base mesocycle today. Last workout took me 1 hour 45 minutes. Not fun. I will test next Sunday.

Sunday was no good so I tested today. Not ideal, but this is going to be a crazy weekend so I had to squeeze it in this morning.

After the warmup, it went like this:

405x1
435x1 (30 lb PR)
445xFAIL (Screwed up and let my breath out on the descent)
440x1 (35 lb PR)

So in the Base Mesocycle, I got a 35 lb PR. Not what I wanted, but still very happy with that. Next 2 weeks is the Switching Phase which focuses on speed, plyometrics, speed, a few negative squats at > 100% effort, and speed.

After that will be the Intense Phase, which is an additional 4 weeks where I'll be squatting just 3 times per week instead of 4, but at a higher intensity.

deadbeef

Thanks, hopefully next time I'll know a little better what to expect as far as what it's like warming up to a 1RM. Things get dicey when you're trying to figure out what jump to make in the last set or 2, especially when it's not an amount you've ever lifted before!

JB1981

deadbeef said:
Sunday was no good so I tested today. Not ideal, but this is going to be a crazy weekend so I had to squeeze it in this morning.

405x1
435x1 (30 lb PR)
440x1 (35 lb PR)

So in the Base Mesocycle, I got a 35 lb PR. Not what I wanted, but still very happy with that. Next 2 weeks is the Switching Phase which focuses on speed, plyometrics, speed, a few negative squats at > 100% effort, and speed.

After that will be the Intense Phase, which is an additional 4 weeks where I'll be squatting just 3 times per week instead of 4, but at a higher intensity.
deadBEAST!

MjFrancis said:

I use a dog's leash as a weight belt. It hasn't failed me yet, and I've added up to 90 pounds. If you have a spare one laying around, try it.

Request for Routine
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 215 lbs
  • Goal: Fat Loss
  • Current Training Schedule: It's summer so I can work out just about every day, but I think would like an workout schedule with cardio and weight lifting for six days a week.
  • Current Training Equipment Available: The only weights I have are dumbells, which I have two sets of going from 5 to 25 lbs. I also have a stationary bike and an elliptical machine. I have a regular bike and I can always walk/run.
  • Comments: My goal is to get fit and be at a healthy weight by the time I leave to go to college in mid-September. My biggest problem right now is that I just eat anything wheneverI want, even if I'm not hungry. I believe that once I'm able to get over that, it will be much easier for me to lose weight.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with setting up a routine.

MjFrancis

deadbeef said:
405x1
435x1 (30 lb PR)
440x1 (35 lb PR)

Very awesome numbers, deadbeef! It's crazy that just now you've entered a phase in Smolov that is finally labeled "Intense."

matthewd49 said:
a lot of people benefit from more frequency versus more volume, so if you want to work out muscles twice a week you could try a push/pull routine or an upper/lower routine. for an upper/lower routine i would recommend lyle mcdonald's routine as seen here http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5978 . it doesn't use a lot of volume but it does concentrate heavily upon the core lifts and i think it is a very good routine.

I think i can do something like this. I feel like I should be doing lower/legs twice a week.

mr stroke

deadbeef said:

405x1
435x1 (30 lb PR)
440x1 (35 lb PR)

How much do you weigh?(I recall-180 or so?, if so those are insane squat numbers)

and what is your general warm up on squats? running, stretching?

MjFrancis

Price Dalton said:
I use a dog's leash as a weight belt. It hasn't failed me yet, and I've added up to 90 pounds. If you have a spare one laying around, try it.
Unfortunately, I don't have a dog, so no leash. Actually, I'm begrudging the entire species right now since a neighbor's dog is shitting on my front lawn. I will use the rage of dog shit on my lawn for a better squat training session this evening. :p

MjFrancis said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a dog, so no leash. Actually, I'm begrudging the entire species right now since a neighbor's dog is shitting on my front lawn. I will use the rage of dog shit on my lawn for a better squat training session this evening. :p
Blame the neighbor, not the dog! Any responsible dog owner will have bags with them on walks or go back home and get one if needed. You should return the shit to the owner's doorstep.

MjFrancis

Haha, I would but I never catch the dog(s) in the act. I use the plural since there are four or five houses on my block that have dogs simply roaming the streets. I wouldn't put it on their doorstep if I found out which one did it, but I would throw it on their front lawn.

That's the country life for you. Nearly everyone owns a truck, the only chain businesses are the grocery store and the gas station, Main St closes down on Sunday, confederate flags fly proud and dogs don't run on leashes. At least the nearby hills have spectacular views.

deadbeef

MjFrancis said:
Very awesome numbers, deadbeef! It's crazy that just now you've entered a phase in Smolov that is finally labeled "Intense."

I know! I have squatted more, much more, in the past 3 weeks than I thought I could actually do. If anything, this program has taught me that I haven't really been working that hard at all, all this time (prior to this program) - this is hard work.

mr stroke said:
How much do you weigh?(I recall-180 or so?, if so those are insane squat numbers)

and what is your general warm up on squats? running, stretching?

No that would be a great squat wouldn't it? Unfortunately, I weigh more than that - around 225-228 these days (I'm about 6'0 tall). I really wanted to get 2X bodyweight during the base phase but unfortunately I didn't get it. I expect it will come at the end of Intense Phase.

I have always just warmed up with the bar, and then gradually ramped up the weights when squatting, but that really isn't feasible with this program because my hips got so damn tight after so much squatting

I have mostly been doing static stretches prior to squatting during this program - quads, hips, hamstrings, etc. After the workouts and whenever I think about it, I foam roll my glutes, hips, quads, etc.

mr stroke

deadbeef said:
I know! I have squatted more, much more, in the past 3 weeks than I thought I could actually do. If anything, this program has taught me that I haven't really been working that hard at all, all this time (prior to this program) - this is hard work.

No that would be a great squat wouldn't it? Unfortunately, I weigh more than that - around 225-228 these days (I'm about 6'0 tall). I really wanted to get 2X bodyweight during the base phase but unfortunately I didn't get it. I expect it will come at the end of Intense Phase.

I have always just warmed up with the bar, and then gradually ramped up the weights when squatting, but that really isn't feasible with this program because my hips got so damn tight after so much squatting

I have mostly been doing static stretches prior to squatting during this program - quads, hips, hamstrings, etc. After the workouts and whenever I think about it, I foam roll my glutes, hips, quads, etc.

So your going from stretches straight to 405lb then up?
(for maxing only)

MjFrancis

deadbeef said:
I can only imagine. The mental game that comes with lifting has to mean so much more with a program like Smolov. Keep on truckin' good sir.

I've been really into this book called Convict Conditioning, anyone hear of it? I'm working through it, just started a few weeks ago with the basic six exercises. It's basically a testament to the training of old. Advanced calisthenics and using bodyweight to achieve a strong core.

It's easy, quick, but brutal and really has helped my strength so far. I use to have issues doing 1 pushup, but can do 20 no problem.

Coupled that with a complete overhaul of my diet (Primal, almost) and lost 15 pounds in a month. Feels so good!

It'll be interesting to see the response, not sure what fitness buffs think of training this way...

MjFrancis

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I've been really into this book called Convict Conditioning, anyone hear of it?
Post #5, first book under the "suggested reading" section of the bodyweight exercises OP.

I've never followed the program to a T, but the sheer volume of solid exercise information and proper programming impressed me. He's got a bit of anti-barbell B.S. but ignoring that it's good stuff.

Congrats on the weight loss and feel free to keep us updated.

reilo

deadbeef said:
No sorry if that was unclear

Today I did
135x8
225x5
275x3
315x1
365x1
405x1
435x1
445xFail
440x1
That's nuts. It truly is. Great job. How long did it take you to complete all of that?

X-Frame

Very good acclimation-set progression deadbeef.

It's amazing to me how people these days still think repping out 8-15 for multiple sets is considered a good warm-up.

MjFrancis said:
Post #5, first book under the "suggested reading" section of the bodyweight exercises OP.

I've never followed the program to a T, but the sheer volume of solid exercise information and proper programming impressed me. He's got a bit of anti-barbell B.S. but ignoring that it's good stuff.

Congrats on the weight loss and feel free to keep us updated.
Oh geez I feel like a fool for not checking. My brother sent it to me. I know what you mean by the anti barbell stuff, but his confidence in the program is promising. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll update with more progress later on down the line. Good luck everyone!

Petrie

Banned
I'm looking for some help finding out what, if anything, I need to do different to make sure I see gains being a Type 1 diabetic. My best friend has been lifting for years and has created a beginning routine for me, and I'm definitely noticing progress, however I keep reading online about how insulin response is so important during weightlifting and all that, and well, my body doesn't have its own insulin response. I'm wondering what, if anything, I need to be doing differently to make sure I'm not shortchanging myself in this regard. Maybe it's nothing and I'm giving the internet too much attention, but if anyone knows a bit more I'd be greatful, as google hasn't helped much.

I have a question:

Whenever I do a full body routine to "wake up" my muscles after abandoning gyms for a while, I wake up the next morning with an additional weight of around 1 kgm, is this normal?

Decado

L0st Id3ntity said:
I have a question:

Whenever I do a full body routine to "wake up" my muscles after abandoning gyms for a while, I wake up the next morning with an additional weight of around 1 kgm, is this normal?
Water weight? Can't really see it meaning much. My weight varies by as much as 5 lbs over the course of a day. I stopped weighing myself more than once a week a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom