• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recipes for flapjacks/granola that doesn't consist of too sugar?

I've basically got a ki of thick rolled oats, and thinking of throwing in some pnut butter and stuff, maybe dried apples. But I had no idea what ingredients!

Izick

Because it's pointless to do them in the rack, and it's a hassle to work in, having to add/drop tons of weight in between each set. Of course, it's necessary if you're working in with someone doing squats and the weights are way different, but having to move the bar up each time, then add/drop a bunch of weight is stupid just because some dude doesn't want to have to reach down and pick up a barbell with super light weights (relative to reaching down and doing a deadlift). There's zero reason for you to be in there as far as I can see, and if you cannot articulate a good reason and you know you shouldn't be in there, you're just being a passive-aggressive., entitled, egotistical, lazy dick

That's a bit ironic that you're calling me that, since you threw in all those digs in at the end.

You do understand that you have to add weight when curling, right? When using the big ass 45 pound par, it's easier to have the weights off the ground. Going from 10's, then to 15, then moving up to 25's. So I'm changing the weight as well. You can say that it's just "relatively light weight" but it's still a pain in the ass, and there's no reason to make it that hard if no one is using the squat rack.

You can call me all the names you like, but I don't care. If nobody is using the fucking squat rack, and no one has for the past 10 minutes or so, I'm going to do 3-4 sets of 8 reps on the thing. I take like a minute break in between each set, so I'm there for, what, maybe 6 minutes? And like I said, if it's that big of a deal, then just ask me if you can work in, or how many sets I have left, and I'll move regardless.

Because it's pointless to do them in the rack, and it's a hassle to work in, having to add/drop tons of weight in between each set. Of course, it's necessary if you're working in with someone doing squats and the weights are way different, but having to move the bar up each time, then add/drop a bunch of weight is stupid just because some dude doesn't want to have to reach down and pick up a barbell with super light weights (relative to reaching down and doing a deadlift). There's zero reason for you to be in there as far as I can see, and if you cannot articulate a good reason and you know you shouldn't be in there, you're just being a passive-aggressive, entitled, egotistical, lazy dick.

Chill out man, you're a pup to the game of working out, let people do as they will.

Dash27

"Curls in the squat rack" is one of those cliches in the fitness community. It's mostly geared towards the guys who only do curls for the girls and want hoyuuuuuge gunz bro but aren't particularly fit or strong. That said, I've done curls in the squat rack as part of my program so it's a case by case basis ;)

Anyway, the warm weather is upon us here in NJ now so it's time to bust out the sprints and get lean again.

Izick

"Curls in the squat rack" is one of those cliches in the fitness community. It's mostly geared towards the guys who only do curls for the girls and want hoyuuuuuge gunz bro but aren't particularly fit or strong. That said, I've done curls in the squat rack as part of my program so it's a case by case basis ;)

I'm not even sure what's wrong with wanting those things though.

Personally, I've wanted to be fit and strong, and I've wanted to look good to boot, but I'm not sure why people have a problem with people who just want big arms or whatever. People go to the gym for different reasons. Some people want to get stronger, some just more athletically fit, and some just want to look good. I honestly don't think one is "better" than the others.

And I still don't see what the problem is. Hasn't anybody here used equipment in a way that may be deemed "inappropriate?" Maybe you've used two benches to do dips, or whatever, sometimes you need different equipment for easier use, does that make you "an entitled dick?" If there are 4 squat racks in my gym, and 2 usually being occupied, am I really being "egotistical" by using one so I don't have to fuck around with the weights and clips, making me lose time in between sets? I don't think my time is more important than anyone else, but I also bought a membership, so I'm going to try and have the best gym experience possible.

kylej

Banned
best workout of the year so far and I had like 4 hours of sleep. Didn't even want to go this morning, go figure. New PR on bench, better, stronger squats than ever before too. Feels good man.

Mr.City

I'm not even sure what's wrong with wanting those things though.

Personally, I've wanted to be fit and strong, and I've wanted to look good to boot, but I'm not sure why people have a problem with people who just want big arms or whatever. People go to the gym for different reasons. Some people want to get stronger, some just more athletically fit, and some just want to look good. I honestly don't think one is "better" than the others.

And I still don't see what the problem is. Hasn't anybody here used equipment in a way that may be deemed "inappropriate?" Maybe you've used two benches to do dips, or whatever, sometimes you need different equipment for easier use, does that make you "an entitled dick?" If there are 4 squat racks in my gym, and 2 usually being occupied, am I really being "egotistical" by using one so I don't have to fuck around with the weights and clips, making me lose time in between sets? I don't think my time is more important than anyone else, but I also bought a membership, so I'm going to try and have the best gym experience possible.

I have never seen such an impassioned argument for curling in the squat rack.

Izick

I have never seen such an impassioned argument for curling in the squat rack.

iE7UI9hDAaCLB.gif

Somebody has to do it!

I'll just say one last time, to be clear, I would/will/have moved if anyone asked to work in, or asked me how many sets I had left. I understand that curling on the rack is a convenience, while using it for squatting is a necessity.

I'm just saying that there's no reason to attack someone because they use a squat rack for something besides actually squatting, but that kind of brings me to something else; does FitGAF just have a hatred for curling on the rack, or is it anything besides squatting? What about doing BB rows? What about doing shoulder press, or incline BB bench? What about chin-ups/pull-ups? I've seen people use it for all those purposes, especially when someone is using the singular rack that is dedicated to those things. (i.e. the incline bench build for incline bench, the shoulder press rack, etc.)

These racks are multi-purpose machines, at least the ones at my gym are. I just don't think that it's a human rights violation to use it for curls if nobody is using it, or looks like they're about to.

kylej

Banned
I don't even really see how curling in the squat rack is a convenience. You save, what, half a second by not bending down to pick the bar up off the floor? To each their own though.

Izick

I don't even really see how curling in the squat rack is a convenience. You save, what, half a second by not bending down to pick the bar up off the floor? To each their own though.

I'd say you save about 20 seconds if you have everything at your disposal. You don't have to fuck around with picking up the bar and fenangling the weight off, and on, the whole time.

That's how I see it at least.

Mr.City

The squat rack/ power cage is a muliti-purpose tool, however I don't put curling in there just because you don't feel like bending down. Neither do I put deadlifting in the rack because you don't sliding a 35lb-er under the plates of the bar. The rack should be used for safety and to position the bar into place so you may grab it from the proper height/position.

BeesEight

Question for Gaf.

Last summer/fall, I completed the P90x routine and really enjoyed it. I had been doing some amateur weightlifting for a couple of years before, but fell off the wagon when I spent a year in Japan since I didn't have any real access to weights. I did do a lot of running, but that basically ruined whatever physique I had built up.

Once I got back, a friend recommended me the 90x and by the end of it I had actually reached my long held goal of 180lbs. Since completing the program, I've cut back on the videos to about 4-5 a week as a pseudo 'maintenance' routine.

What I really liked about the program was the huge variability in routines and the fact I could do it at home.

So, my question, what is a good follow up to it? What do the trainers in here think of the program and its new version?

Here's my info from the OP:

Age - 26
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 186 lbs
Goal - Size/Strength
Current Training: Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun - Mix of weights and cardio on a three week rotation
Current Training Equipment - Pull up bar, adjustable dumbbells up to 27.5 lbs, exercise ball
Comments: I have a hard time putting on weight, though that's probably from poor practices since I got almost thirty pounds since returning home. However, I don't have a lot of money to afford specific diets or a ton of new equipment or a gym membership. Though, I should probably invest in some whey protein right?

Izick

The squat rack/ power cage is a muliti-purpose tool, however I don't put curling in there just because you don't feel like bending down. Neither do I put deadlifting in the rack because you don't sliding a 35lb-er under the plates of the bar. The rack should be used for safety and to position the bar into place so you may grab it from the proper height/position.

Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine, but I personally just don't see the problem with it if you aren't inconveniencing anyone else, and it makes the minutia around the actual lifting itself a bit easier.

Petrie

Banned
Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine, but I personally just don't see the problem with it if you aren't inconveniencing anyone else, and it makes the minutia around the actual lifting itself a bit easier.
But you are inconveniencing anyone else who wants to use the rack for something worthwhile. The "they can ask how long I have left and I'll leave" thing doesn't suddenly make what you're doing less dick.

Izick

But you are inconveniencing anyone else who wants to use the rack for something worthwhile. The "they can ask how long I have left and I'll leave" thing doesn't suddenly make what you're doing less dick.

Okay, say there's 4 stations at the gym, right? Now, let's say 2 of them are being used. I'm doing a 4 set, 8 rep BB curl. I see two are open, so I use one. During the second set, someone else starts using the last one. Does that mean I should just immediately stop, move the bar off, and set it on the ground somewhere and do it there? Am I really being a dick because of that?

I just honestly think the problem is that some people here have some vendetta against exercises that aren't pure compound strength exercises, especially anything curl related.

Aren't you always inconveniencing someone if you use a piece of equipment? Someone could be using that bar for benching or squatting, instead of curling, right?

MjFrancis

Using my wife as a fitness guinea pig I've put together a 90% bodyweight calisthenics routine for her. It's my second time building a regimen for anyone other than myself and the first time I've ever referred to my wife as a guinea pig for any reason.

Day I
Bodyweight squats - 3 x 10-20 reps
Weighted lunges - 3 x 10-14 reps
Planks - 2 x 30-60 seconds

Day II
Negative chins - 4 x 3-5 reps
Flex hangs - 3 x 10-30 seconds
Horizontal pulls - 3 x 10-30 reps

Day III
Push-ups - 3 x 8-20 reps
Crow stand - 3 x 5-30 seconds

Repeat cycle & rest on seventh day. All training begins with Convict Conditioning trifecta (active stretching).

---

My wife was pressing and deadlifting, and while she was getting some respectable numbers she would fall out of it for one reason or another regularly. Since the most important point of any exercise regimen is consistency and adherence, a diet of presses and deadlifts won't work if it isn't steady. So I came up with this program here to fit her schedule and her preferences. Her nondescript goals are to cultivate strength, muscular endurance and generally stay active outside of her cardiovascular pursuits. So a six-day-a-week plan that can be done in approximately twenty minutes a day works for her. That's two hours of bodyweight training a week, very doable for someone who otherwise jogs or hikes two to three times a week.

Everything is set up so that incremental progress in reps or time can be made and when the ceiling is met in reps the leverage of the exercise will be changed to make it more difficult and cultivate strength. More specific goals set up for her are increasing her chin-up and pushup reps; she's currently at 3 and 15 respectively. That's why I don't have her doing chin-ups for reps just yet, but accumulating strength and endurance with other easier movements. Her push-ups are great, though, so I haven't suggested anything other than doing them for submaximal rep schemes and adding reps as she gets better at them. Like the other movements when she hits the maximum reps I've prescribed we'll move on to a more difficult variation.

Incremental progress. She digs it already but we've only just begun. I have high hopes she'll stick to it.

Izick

Question for Gaf.

Last summer/fall, I completed the P90x routine and really enjoyed it. I had been doing some amateur weightlifting for a couple of years before, but fell off the wagon when I spent a year in Japan since I didn't have any real access to weights. I did do a lot of running, but that basically ruined whatever physique I had built up.

Once I got back, a friend recommended me the 90x and by the end of it I had actually reached my long held goal of 180lbs. Since completing the program, I've cut back on the videos to about 4-5 a week as a pseudo 'maintenance' routine.

What I really liked about the program was the huge variability in routines and the fact I could do it at home.

So, my question, what is a good follow up to it? What do the trainers in here think of the program and its new version?

Here's my info from the OP:

Age - 26
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 186 lbs
Goal - Size/Strength
Current Training: Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun - Mix of weights and cardio on a three week rotation
Current Training Equipment - Pull up bar, adjustable dumbbells up to 27.5 lbs, exercise ball
Comments: I have a hard time putting on weight, though that's probably from poor practices since I got almost thirty pounds since returning home. However, I don't have a lot of money to afford specific diets or a ton of new equipment or a gym membership. Though, I should probably invest in some whey protein right?

Well, is size your main goal, and strength a secondary goal?

While it's not impossible for them to go hand in hand, I'm just curious if you're going for one more than the other. Have you ever considered joining a gym?

Using my wife as a fitness guinea pig I've put together a 90% bodyweight calisthenics routine for her. It's my second time building a regimen for anyone other than myself and the first time I've ever referred to my wife as a guinea pig for any reason.

Incremental progress. She digs it already but we've only just begun. I have high hopes she'll stick to it.

Good on you, Francis. I hope she's been enjoying it so far. She's probably very lucky do have someone that knows how to assist her properly towards her fitness goals.

How would you feel about doing a routine for some faceless person over the internet you've never met? :p

I've been thinking about switching up my routine possibly, but not sure if I should try and make something up myself, or find a suitable program.

eissan

Hey again!

I made this diet plan today and was wanting to get critiqued on it!

breakfast: Egg whites+Slice of Bread /w Avocados
First snack: Protein Shake(1 Scoop)/Banana + Yogurt/Yogurt + Almonds
lunch: Chicken Breast + 1 cup rice/Taco salad(less taco shell)/1 Cup Pasta + Beef/1 potato + Beef
second snack: Apple + Orange/Protein Shake (1 scoop)/Pear + Orange
Dinner: Chicken/Beef + salad/Chicken ceasar Salad/Steak Salad/Chicken + greek salad
Lat snack: Protein Shake(1 Scoop)

The items are listed in a way they will be rotated so I dont get too bored. Point of my diet is to lean out/cut but hopefully not lose to much muscle mass.

Opinions?

Izick

Hey again!

lunch: Chicken Breast + 1 cup rice/Taco salad(less taco shell)/1 Cup Pasta + Beef/1 potato + Beef
Dinner: Chicken/Beef + salad/Chicken ceasar Salad/Steak Salad/Chicken + greek salad

The items are listed in a way they will be rotated so I dont get too bored. Point of my diet is to lean out/cut but hopefully not lose to much muscle mass.

Opinions?

That looks really solid.

When do you workout usually, in the morning, afternoon, or what?

Also, I've heard that taking your shake right after a workout is best, but others have disputed it as junk science, either way I thought I'd share that.

eissan

That looks really solid.

When do you workout usually, in the morning, afternoon, or what?

Also, I've heard that taking your shake right after a workout is best, but others have disputed it as junk science, either way I thought I'd share that.

Thanks!

I usually work out right after work around 4-5PM.

I usually like to take the shake after a work out too but I am going to try to have dinner right after work out(pre-prepared) and see how that goes and take the protein shake an hour or 2 before bed.

Hey again!

Opinions?

Seem good to cut. Don't forget water.

MjFrancis

Good on you, Francis. I hope she's been enjoying it so far. She's probably very lucky do have someone that knows how to assist her properly towards her fitness goals.

How would you feel about doing a routine for some faceless person over the internet you've never met? :p

I've been thinking about switching up my routine possibly, but not sure if I should try and make something up myself, or find a suitable program.
Someday I'll throw stuff out there eventually. Given my level of fitness experience and training I'm not entirely comfortable with suggesting anything to anyone just yet. Besides, to date, my best training progress has always been attained through following an expert's program.

Where this fails, however, is regarding bodyweight calisthenics and similar gymless options. There are few programs in this area that are written and cookie-cutter, incomplete or based too much on either strength or endurance with little regard to muscular hypertrophy. Then there's always the problem of building a satisfying yoke with bodyweight calisthenics, which is why if nothing else I'll usually fall back on deadlifts, shrugs and the like.

If my wife is able to make gains on her program like I have with my own cookie-cutter setups, I'll have a better idea of how to put these types of things together. I know what I have done and what has helped me, but actually helping someone who isn't myself is whole new ground. It needs to be addressed properly or not at all; although I wasn't always like this I stay silent on issues of which I'm not knowledgeable. Or refer to an expert's advice. Or at the very least admit my doubt! This needs to be addressed better in the OP, too, my section definitely included. Like, what should we suggest to someone who has a barbell set but no squat rack? What about someone with dumbbells and a pull-up bar? Someone stuck in a hotel room most of the year? All of those are valid scenarios and if the standardized response of "get a gym membership" isn't a option it would be helpful if the next option was already laid out in the OP. There are correct answers in this regard, or at least some more correct than others.

Izick

Thanks!

I usually work out right after work around 4-5PM.

I usually like to take the shake after a work out too but I am going to try to have dinner right after work out(pre-prepared) and see how that goes and take the protein shake an hour or 2 before bed.

Yeah, I really don't know how much truth there is to the whole shake right after workout myth there is, but you'll be fine, especially if you're cutting.

Izick

EDIT: Shit, double post.

Someday I'll throw stuff out there eventually. Given my level of fitness experience and training I'm not entirely comfortable with suggesting anything to anyone just yet. Besides, to date, my best training progress has always been attained through following an expert's program.

Where this fails, however, is regarding bodyweight calisthenics and similar gymless options. There are few programs in this area that are written and cookie-cutter, incomplete or based too much on either strength or endurance with little regard to muscular hypertrophy. Then there's always the problem of building a satisfying yoke with bodyweight calisthenics, which is why if nothing else I'll usually fall back on deadlifts, shrugs and the like.

If my wife is able to make gains on her program like I have with my own cookie-cutter setups, I'll have a better idea of how to put these types of things together. I know what I have done and what has helped me, but actually helping someone who isn't myself is whole new ground. It needs to be addressed properly or not at all; although I wasn't always like this I stay silent on issues of which I'm not knowledgeable. Or refer to an expert's advice. Or at the very least admit my doubt! This needs to be addressed better in the OP, too, my section definitely included. Like, what should we suggest to someone who has a barbell set but no squat rack? What about someone with dumbbells and a pull-up bar? Someone stuck in a hotel room most of the year? All of those are valid scenarios and if the standardized response of "get a gym membership" isn't a option it would be helpful if the next option was already laid out in the OP. There are correct answers in this regard, or at least some more correct than others.

I agree. I think we must adapt our advice for a case-by-case basis. Everyone's situation is different, so we have to give advice that they can actually use. Suggesting a gym membership isn't neccesarily bad but if they don't have access to one, whether due to travel or money, then we should try and help them out as best we can with what they do have.

gdt

Okay, I'm really feeling nervous about my running. As some recall, I have to take a police fitness test from 5/14-5/22 (probably the first day, I was the first application in).

The main thing I'm worried about is running the 1.5 mile run in 15:56. A few weeks ago I ran that (all out) in 17:59 (in the park, not on a track). I could probably do better now (ran this morning 18:06, but that didn't really wipe me out).

So, how do I get that down in 2 months? Should I be running 3 miles every other day? Should I be running 1.5m harder and harder? I just need a little guidance, feeling nervous in terms of what workout I should do.

Also need to do 300 meters in 66 seconds, but that is pretty much going as hard as I can. Any tips for raising pure speed there?

Side note: I'm losing weight pretty fast, so hopefully that will make running easier.

Any advice would be awesome.

Izick

Okay, I'm really feeling nervous about my running. As some recall, I have to take a police fitness test from 5/14-5/22 (probably the first day, I was the first application in).

The main thing I'm worried about is running the 1.5 mile run in 15:56. A few weeks ago I ran that (all out) in 17:59 (in the park, not on a track). I could probably do better now (ran this morning 18:06, but that didn't really wipe me out).

So, how do I get that down in 2 months? Should I be running 3 miles every other day? Should I be running 1.5m harder and harder? I just need a little guidance, feeling nervous in terms of what workout I should do.

Also need to do 300 meters in 66 seconds, but that is pretty much going as hard as I can. Any tips for raising pure speed there?

Side note: I'm losing weight pretty fast, so hopefully that will make running easier.

Any advice would be awesome.

I would say that you should try and push yourself incrementally everyday, in terms of overall distance traveled. Your body should come accustomed to the farther distance, so I would assume that you could more easily do the 1.5 mile run, and thus in less time.

If you have access to a pool, or a bike, try to swim or ride (intensely) once in a while to mix it up and build your endurance.

BeesEight

Well, is size your main goal, and strength a secondary goal?

While it's not impossible for them to go hand in hand, I'm just curious if you're going for one more than the other. Have you ever considered joining a gym?

Yeah, I would rank size higher than strength. I would love to join a gym, but the closest one doesn't have much more than what I have at home and I haven't found any other that's realistically within distance of joining.

Izick

Yeah, I would rank size higher than strength. I would love to join a gym, but the closest one doesn't have much more than what I have at home and I haven't found any other that's realistically within distance of joining.

Doesn't your gym have dumbells, barbells, racks, machines, etc.?

The key (or at least have of the key) to gaining size is eating a lot, more importantly eating the right stuff a lot. If you can do that, and train hard, you should see results.

Ughhh. Boring chest day. Decided to touch my bench press strength test and doubled up on 150 for two. Not too shabby since I haven't flat benched in a whilst.

Also

Bulking makes me shit like crazy. Already my 5th dump of the day mayne

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Does the Deadlift screw up your Chins if you do the Deadlift first? I couldn't reach my previous target for Chins today and it bummed me out. :/

ianp622

I took off for a week because I came down with a cold, and when I started again, I hit new records on my pull-ups and deadlifts. Should I change my workout program (just doing Starting Strength) or just have a rest week every month?

MjFrancis

Does the Deadlift screw up your Chins if you do the Deadlift first? I couldn't reach my previous target for Chins today and it bummed me out. :/
Both hit your lats pretty hard, and it's been my experience as well, so yes, the deadlift will impact your chins when performed beforehand.

I think I might stalled on bench press. Tried 5x5 @ 215 last week, and the last two sets I could barely make 3 reps. This week I tried again and I went up to 4 reps in the last 3 sets. Should I try it once again next week or should I deload?

Izick

I think I might stalled on bench press. Tried 5x5 @ 215 last week, and the last two sets I could barely make 3 reps. This week I tried again and I went up to 4 reps in the last 3 sets. Should I try it once again next week or should I deload?

4 reps with good form? I would say try one more time to see if you can get 5 reps with good form, if not, there's no shame in moving down in some weight.

Form>weight.

Sup Fit-GAF,

Been doing SS since the beginning of the year and shit's awesome. I'm stopping my squat progress at 225 to better my form and give my body time to balance out in other lifts but I really want to get my deadlift to around 280 lbs before I start thinking about doing the same thing for it.

My question is: is shooting for a nearly 300 lb deadlift plausible as a goal for someone my weight/height? I'm 5'6'' and barely knocking on 130 lbs, so am I just asking for trouble for trying to get there without bulking up? I have a hard time keeping weight on as it is, and bulking itself is really difficult for me since I hate eating past the point of satisfaction.

5/3/1 - well after a year+ of progression, looks like I finally have to reset my deadlift. Tried for 460lb and failed spectacularly.

That leaves my bench as the only exercise that continues to increase, but I suspect i only have 1 to 2 more cycle before that has to reset too.

That being said, I absolutely love this programs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom