• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I eat no sugar, I eat very healthy. In fact, over the past month I've gained more muscle mass, I'm more fit than ever. Not sure what happened really. It almost looks like it's full of air.

I'll do crunches and reverse crunches I guess.

Could be something not muscular related. Having gas, could make you bloated, over hydrating can make you bloated, even a backed up digestive system can make you bloated.

To the point that you "stomach" gets pushed out.

Is it flabby, or is it taut? (your belly I mean) like....if you push on it, does it have resistance, or can you stretch it easily.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Could be something not muscular related. Having gas, could make you bloated, over hydrating can make you bloated, even a backed up digestive system can make you bloated.

To the point that you "stomach" gets pushed out.

Is it flabby, or is it taut? (your belly I mean) like....if you push on it, does it have resistance, or can you stretch it easily.

Yeah there is resistance. It's not rock hard, but basically I can just push my finger a little (like, only the skin goes inward).

Maybe it's some sort of bloating. I noticed yesterday, I think I would have noticed before if it was fat, and there is no reason for my stomach to have gotten fat recently considering I'm bigger/fitter everywhere else (arms, legs, etc.). Hmmm. Maybe it's just temporary.

Did arms for the first time yesterday since last July/August. Surprisingly, my golfers elbows doesn't hurt. Even more surprisingly my biceps aren't sore after giving them a rest for that long.

Gonna try squats this coming week. I'm crossing my fingers they don't work.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah there is resistance. It's not rock hard, but basically I can just push my finger a little (like, only the skin goes inward).

Maybe it's some sort of bloating. I noticed yesterday, I think I would have noticed before if it was fat, and there is no reason for my stomach to have gotten fat recently considering I'm bigger/fitter everywhere else (arms, legs, etc.). Hmmm. Maybe it's just temporary.
This is wrong. As a male, that is the MOST likely place for you to store extra fat, even if you are more "fit" everywhere else.

kylej

Banned
Did arms for the first time yesterday since last July/August. Surprisingly, my golfers elbows doesn't hurt. Even more surprisingly my biceps aren't sore after giving them a rest for that long.

Gonna try squats this coming week. I'm crossing my fingers they don't work.

You try wrapping your elbows to see if heat helps?

Guys what is the best exercise to flatten the stomach? I'm talking about the part under the six-pack. I'm not sure why but I noticed today that my stomach is bulging (yet I'm only 140, so I gained just a few pounds over the past month). I want to flatten that thing pronto!

Is this sudden or something? "Just a few pounds" in 1 month probably means more fat than muscle gained.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is this sudden or something? "Just a few pounds" in 1 month probably means more fat than muscle gained.

It's clearly muscle, I was on vacation and did hiking, among other things. I'm in pretty good shape:p My biceps and legs and calves have all gotten more muscular.

It's clearly muscle, I was on vacation and did hiking, among other things. I'm in pretty good shape:p My biceps and legs and calves have all gotten more muscular.

You lose fat faster than you gain muscle, if you gained JUST muscle when you added those few pounds you still have the fat to take care of. And where do you keep that fat? Right there covering your six pack.

You can lose pounds of fat faster than gaining that weight in muscle. So if you were eating and working out as well as you think you should have actually lost weight if you were gaining muscle and losing fat. That's why people are happy staying at the same weight in this thread, they are gaining muscle while cutting the fat out. This seems contradictory to what I just said about losing fat faster but when you are trying to gain muscle it will be hard to lose fat as rapidly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You lose fat faster than you gain muscle, if you gained JUST muscle when you added those few pounds you still have the fat to take care of. And where do you keep that fat? Right there covering your six pack.

You can lose pounds of fat faster than gaining that weight in muscle. So if you were eating and working out as well as you think you should have actually lost weight if you were gaining muscle and losing fat. That's why people are happy staying at the same weight in this thread, they are gaining muscle while cutting the fat out. This seems contradictory to what I just said about losing fat faster but when you are trying to gain muscle it will be hard to lose fat as rapidly.

It's not covering my sixpack, it's below the six pack. My six pack is fine.

edit: Might be a posture issue.

kylej

Banned
for my 5/3/1 people, someone at SA made an excellent Excel spreadsheet for the program

link - http://www.foodisforfuel.com/documents/VG_531_BBB.xlsx

kWVUT.jpg

I really love how it calculates staggered BBB weight, I tried it my last cycle and it's a lot more fun than doing straight sets.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jesus christ. Just mowed the lawn and climbed on the roof to clear the gutters. That just ruined my rest day, lol.

for my 5/3/1 people, someone at SA made an excellent Excel spreadsheet for the program

kWVUT.jpg

I really love how it calculates staggered BBB weight, I tried it my last cycle and it's a lot more fun than doing straight sets.

I assume he used the formula in the book? I'm always wary of these because a lot of "calculators" don't even use the 1rm calculation formula from the book.

Edit: Wtf, that guy scales down his BBB?

3-4 is about right. I do a 4 day per week routine with an extra day (total of 3 days of running) of conditioning on Saturday.

Thanks I think I might do 4, so upper, legs and abs, cardio and abs, and then a full body day. With some running and jump rope thrown in the mix.

I just need to clean up my diet a bit more and eat more consistently.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I eat no sugar, I eat very healthy. In fact, over the past month I've gained more muscle mass, I'm more fit than ever. Not sure what happened really. It almost looks like it's full of air.

I'll do crunches and reverse crunches I guess.

You are bloated, go take a dump. Or eat some salad-based foods for a couple of days.

No problem, do you happen to be using an established routine?

Yea I've got one, made a new one at the beginning of march. Not sure if I've got a full body but I can throw one together.

The only thing holding me back is my diet, but since January I've went from 152 to 168 using gomad(half a gallon). Since I've got a new job I can shop for some better food myself now.

Mr.City

Is it a boy or a girl?

Petrie

Banned
Yea I've got one, made a new one at the beginning of march. Not sure if I've got a full body but I can throw one together.

The only thing holding me back is my diet, but since January I've went from 152 to 168 using gomad(half a gallon). Since I've got a new job I can shop for some better food myself now.

That's not an established routine. An established routine is one designed by a true expert, not something you threw together yourself.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Sorry I missed this earlier. Yeah, that's not an established routine. Did you look at other routines before making your own? I didn't use an established routine for about the first year of my training and did fine (that's not likely to happen with most people), but I also took ideas from multiple programs. If you're not interested in following a routine, I would still advise you to look at some and perhaps keep them in mind in what you're doing. Picking the brain's of the greats can go a long way in helping you progress, no matter what your goal is.

If you're not against using an established routine, pick one based on your goals. Starting strength is a great place to start, and probably a book every lifter should own (I don't own a copy yet, but I've gotten most of it online in piecemeal).

Guys, I'm really excited to share with you today's personal fitness milestone!

I've never been a runner (although I'd say I'm in great shape otherwise), but I decided to sign up for a grueling obstacle course race in the summer with a friend of mine just over a month ago.

Well, I've been doing some intense running, jogging, sprinting, and HIIT the past few weeks to build my lacking cardio and endurance, and today I decided to tackle a 10k with a couple friends (both who are runners). Not only did I keep up with them, I was pretty much completely fine by the end of it. Lungs were fine, legs were good--it was a great moment of revelation for me. All the hard work has paid off. From wanting to die after one mile to coasting six miles in a month. It wasn't a straight run either: we sprinted up hills, ran over obstacles, etc. The entire run took about 50-55 minutes, but we weren't going for time (I mostly just wanted to complete it).

It was the loop around Central Park, btw.

Good shit man!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I've never been a runner (although I'd say I'm in great shape otherwise), but I decided to sign up for a grueling obstacle course race in the summer with a friend of mine just over a month ago.

Well, I've been doing some intense running, jogging, sprinting, and HIIT the past few weeks to build my lacking cardio and endurance, and today I decided to tackle a 10k with a couple friends (both who are runners). Not only did I keep up with them, I was pretty much completely fine by the end of it. Lungs were fine, legs were good--it was a great moment of revelation for me. All the hard work has paid off. From wanting to die after one mile to coasting six miles in a month. It wasn't a straight run either: we sprinted up hills, ran over obstacles, etc. The entire run took about 50-55 minutes, but we weren't going for time (I mostly just wanted to complete it).

That's awesome man, just keep setting goals. Maybe a marathon next ;)

That's a pretty good effort. The CP course isn't easy particularly near Harlem Meer. I'll take a wild guess and say you don't weigh much.

MrOogieBoogie

That's a pretty good effort. The CP course isn't easy particularly near Harlem Meer. I'll take a wild guess and say you don't weigh much.

Yeah, I'm only 150 pounds, but certainly not the "skin-and-bones" type. Have a surprising amount of muscle, but a smaller frame than most.

And yeah, before I started running last month I honestly could not complete a mile without stopping. My lungs would always give out (especially in the cold air). But persistence and a grueling workout schedule have corrected all those issues. The last 0.5 mile back to 59th Street/Columbus Circle was nearly a full-on sprint. Easily the most difficult and painful part of the run. lol

I hate foam rolling my IT bands. It hurts so much. :lol

You mean it hurts so good? I've started to love foam rolling. I'm thinking about getting a lacrosse ball or something similar to do the more hard to reach areas.

kWVUT.jpg

Looking at that and knowing nothing about BBB, do you do your standard set/reps for each main exercise (3x5,3x3,531,3x5 by week), then do 5 more sets of that same exercise? For 3 exercises a day? That's assuming something like SS where the lifts are split out in

A: squat, press, deadlift
B: sqaut, bench, rows

If so, that seems like you would be spending a ton of time in the gym each workout.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You mean it hurts so good? I've started to love foam rolling. I'm thinking about getting a lacrosse ball or something similar to do the more hard to reach areas.

Looking at that and knowing nothing about BBB, do you do your standard set/reps for each main exercise (3x5,3x3,531,3x5 by week), then do 5 more sets of that same exercise? For 3 exercises a day? That's assuming something like SS where the lifts are split out in

A: squat, press, deadlift
B: sqaut, bench, rows

If so, that seems like you would be spending a ton of time in the gym each workout.

No.

1 day for each main lift. Squat, dead, press, and bench.

One thing I've noticed is that since I've stopped trying to gain weight, my strength has increased slightly, but as far as my body goes, I haven't added any muscle at all.

Since that's the case, I don't feel like beating myself up doing presses and rows with 100lb DBs. I'm going to cut the weight in half and increase my rep range.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, goes from 65%-45% 1RM over the 5 sets. It's awesome. Kicks your ass.

Eh, I just do 5x10 50% on everything except bench, which I do 60% on that. Never felt the need to scale down, though admittedly it took me 2 cycles before I got used to it. I could (might) probably bump everything up to 60 next cycle.

Yeah, I'm only 150 pounds, but certainly not the "skin-and-bones" type. Have a surprising amount of muscle, but a smaller frame than most.
lol

That's explains why you breezed through the climb on the northern end of the park. Long distance running is all about the weight you carry. Funny how lighter runners don't complain about hills but the sprints and vice versa. Still, top effort. I did that run in early Feb once and was out with Bronchitis for 3 weeks.

MrOogieBoogie

That's explains why you breezed through the climb on the northern end of the park. Long distance running is all about the weight you carry. Funny how lighter runners don't complain about hills but the sprints and vice versa. Still, top effort. I did that run in early Feb once and was out with Bronchitis for 3 weeks.

Oh damn. Well, if it's any consolation, I'm feeling the soreness now, as I sit here on GAF. :p

balddemon

Banned
cuevas said:
You boys need to learn how to drink, aka dealing with the next day.

First time drinking more than 5 beers... I can take shots all night, but I not good at drinking beer lol

Especially not when I have 3 or 4 different types of beer, plus 2 kinds of hard shit

That takes care of my drinking till summer though lol

First time drinking more than 5 beers... I can take shots all night, but I not good at drinking beer lol

Especially not when I have 3 or 4 different types of beer, plus 2 kinds of hard shit

That takes care of my drinking till summer though lol

How old are you? Wow. That's barely a power hour.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How old are you? Wow. That's barely a power hour.

Before I started working out I drank like 5 days a week. But 5 days a week was too much volume, I was overtrained and had to deload. Last night was my first time back at it in almost a month, and I guess I lost a lot of gut strength during my layoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom