• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Where should I add more meals and could you let me know what to cut out.
Designing this workout I compared some of the better mass gaining exercises I
wanted to hit each muscles with precision along with my compound workouts.
What in your opinion should I cut out ? Thanks for not responding in a condescending/
negative tone.

Apologies for the double post

It doesn't actually matter where you add them because meal timing isn't important. You definitely should add a bunch of calories to your diet. It is hard to say how much because there are many factors but I'd say 1,500-2000 just from looking at the food you posted. If you are bulking you are going to want a lot more meat, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.

Ashhong

1 week off isn't going to hurt, how long have you been doing SL?

I think I'm only at 7 or 8 weeks. Hopefully I can get back to it by Wednesday, should I deload or just continue on? I just got past the newbie gains period and failed a few of my sets the last time I worked out

Man, I wish I had it to where all I had to worry about was making sure I ate enough for a bulk. If I don't hit all the cals and macros just right, I just get fat. Fuck body types.

Yes it's really hard. Luckily I don't need to gain 40lbs but most people think they are eating a lot when they really aren't and could afford to eat more (if their goal is to get big and strong). 6'0 190 is a good ratio. He could probably afford to be 210 actually.

I'm 6'1 and being 180 I'd be happy as fucked. I'd still be cut, but with more pronounced muscles. Oh well. Maybe when I'm 40........

-viper-

Banned
I seemed to have gain fat. Does whole milk make you gain weight? I thought I had high metabolism but my bodyfat appears to have sky-rocketed following my switch to 2% to whole milk for a month.

If I wasn't gaining any weight with semi-skimmed milk while working out, why is it all of a sudden I seem to have gained a ton of belly fat by drinking 3 glasses of whole milk a day?

After all, 3 glasses of semi skimmed vs 3 glasses of whole = extra 200 cals.

My arms, shoulders, and chest have gone bigger too, but my belly has gone huge.

How do I preserve the muscle I have whilst eliminating the fat? I have never done any cardio so far but I feel it's time to start doing it to minimise fat gains.

Would HIIT after working out suffice? I know you can't spot reduce, but is there any exercise that will help me lose belly fat more quickly than others?

gdt

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I just had a sorta sexy time/date and we went out for a bite. Had a huuuuuuuge fucking burger + steak fries, and onion rings/cheese sticks for an appetizer. Hadn't broken my diet in a while, so I went hard as fuck today. It's not gonna be fun getting that out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I like pulling sumo, I've done it exclusively in the past, though I've come to this compromise of using them as an assistance movement since I enjoy doing conventional deadlifts as well. Sumo deadlifts seems to demand significantly more of my hip adductors and glutes than the traditional deadlift. There is an inch or two less ROM but basically it shifts the emphasis of the movement from the back to the legs. If I'd describe the change it might be something like conventional being 60/40 to sumo being 40/60 in respect to back/leg emphasis.

Yeah, that's what I've heard, seems like it would be almost entirely hip/glute.

Thanks!

Enco

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I just had a sorta sexy time/date and we went out for a bite. Had a huuuuuuuge fucking burger + steak fries, and onion rings/cheese sticks for an appetizer. Hadn't broken my diet in a while, so I went hard as fuck today. It's not gonna be fun getting that out.
Sounds so good.

Mmmmmm peanut butter. I'd make my own if my roommate hadn't fucked up my food processor. Almond butter too mmmmmmm.
Never tried almond butter.

How would you rank it in respect to PB?

JB1981

I seemed to have gain fat. Does whole milk make you gain weight? I thought I had high metabolism but my bodyfat appears to have sky-rocketed following my switch to 2% to whole milk for a month.

If I wasn't gaining any weight with semi-skimmed milk while working out, why is it all of a sudden I seem to have gained a ton of belly fat by drinking 3 glasses of whole milk a day?

After all, 3 glasses of semi skimmed vs 3 glasses of whole = extra 200 cals.

My arms, shoulders, and chest have gone bigger too, but my belly has gone huge.

How do I preserve the muscle I have whilst eliminating the fat? I have never done any cardio so far but I feel it's time to start doing it to minimise fat gains.

Would HIIT after working out suffice? I know you can't spot reduce, but is there any exercise that will help me lose belly fat more quickly than others?

Yes whole milk puts on the poundage and HIIT may help. Try to fit it in 2x a week and maybe clean up your diet some or drop down to 1% milk.

balddemon

Banned
squatted 280 today - gonna sit at 280 this week
pressed 120 for 2x5 and then realized there was no way i was completing the 3rd set so i dropped it to 95. deload time

then i went home.

rage1973

I was doing my squats today at 345 x 3 x 5 and on my last set I got a sharp pain in my right knee. So I stopped my squats and didn't do my deadlift for the day. I am going to try to take the rest of the week off to let my knee rest and be back next week. Hopefully my knee holds up the next time I squat but I wonder if I should start wrapping my knee at this weight. Any links on instructions on how to wrap your knee while squatting?

MjFrancis

I've just started doing these GTG style. Initially, I didn't even know I could do them because prior to January I couldn't do them. Thank you heavy squats.
Good to hear - how many are you doing?

And definitely thank heavy squats. From what I've gathered, and experienced, being able to squat 225lbs is approximately where most people will have the strength to squat on a single leg at least once. Balance and flexibility are the deciding factors at that point.

Your story is much like mine, too - tried them once, failed, got stronger, tried again, succeeded. Well, something like six months passed in between attempts, but the principle is the same.

id say take a week or 2 off, and figure out how much he is actually eating during that timeframe. Focus on the diet, then go back to square 1 on SS.

Thanks for all the advice, the workout that I posted was something I wanted to start today. But didn't in because of the overtraining statement that was mentioned.So no need fo rest. Although I only did SS for 8 months I was eating correctly while on it. ( Unlimited dining hall) . But now my financial situation has changed and its hard to get more than 6 meals a day without cash being super thin. Do you guys still think I should do SS over? I was pretty sure I did it right the first time with meals and all. Or is there another program you could recommened?

Petrie

Banned
Thanks for all the advice, the workout that I posted was something I wanted to start today. But didn't in because of the overtraining statement that was mentioned.So no need fo rest. Although I only did SS for 8 months I was eating correctly while on it. ( Unlimited dining hall) . But now my financial situation has changed and its hard to get more than 6 meals a day without cash being super thin. Do you guys still think I should do SS over? I was pretty sure I did it right the first time with meals and all. Or is there another program you could recommened?
You thougt you were eating enough calories now, and definitely arent. Id wager you werent getting enough before, even on your unlimited plan. Milk and eggs can add cheap, good calories if money is tight. Id still say that with those numbers, SS should still be able to take you much further.

You thougt you were eating enough calories now, and definitely arent. Id wager you werent getting enough before, even on your unlimited plan. Milk and eggs can add cheap, good calories if money is tight. Id still say that with those numbers, SS should still be able to take you much further.

And I was sadly mistaken. Only thing worse about that is I eat more than my buddies who workout, wait until I let them know now. I'm unsure if I was eating the proper amount but I made great gains in that 8 months so I'm comfortable with the outcome. Think this time around I should use the creatine? It's already in my possession.

Petrie

Banned
And I was sadly mistaken. Only thing worse about that is I eat more than my buddies who workout, wait until I let them know now. I'm unsure if I was eating the proper amount but I made great gains in that 8 months so I'm comfortable with the outcome. Think this time around I should use the creatine? It's already in my possession.
Yeah but those were noob gains, now eat right and continue the program and watch your numbers keep going up. Id give it at least another 6 months with proper diet.

Creatine is legit. Have at it.

kylej

Banned
i do not. i don't want to start, either. so i'm holding off increasing the weight this week while i do hella core work.

yeah I know the feeling.

btw for people with shaky shoulders or who just want some rear delt/upper back iso or something to warm up with, I tried "Scarecrows" today and they are fantastic. light up your upper back and made my shoulders feel great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZucWO_6M0c0&t=1m17s <~~~ the first exercise he does

Archon473

I can't drink more than 2 beers without getting a hangover anymore.

This started happening to me last year; no matter how little I drank plus eating and drinking water before bed, I would still feel languid and have a headache the next day. Made it real easy to quit drinking. Now it's nice to wake up early on a Saturday, workout and shower before noon and have the whole day ahead of me. If you're going to drink, you've got to be willing to run or do some cardio the next day. Sweat out the devil's water to get back on track.

Sounds so good.

Never tried almond butter.

How would you rank it in respect to PB?

To me, almond butter is superior, but it's more expensive. Plus, you have to get the one with maple syrup in it. The texture and taste is AMAZING:

Justin-Almond-Butter.jpg

Expensive, but worth every penny.

Mr.City

CliqWriter

http://startingstrength.com/articles/novice_effect_rippetoe.pdf
http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-2.html

This is your homework.

squatted 280 today - gonna sit at 280 this week
pressed 120 for 2x5 and then realized there was no way i was completing the 3rd set so i dropped it to 95. deload time

then i went home.

What exactly is keeping the weight the same going to do?

It sounds like there's no structure to your diet. No free meals, no refeeds, just hoping that "eating healthy" will get you there. Of course, I could be wrong, but programming/allowing a free meal might have prevented this binge, although it could have been worse.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
i don't lift enough weight to warrant using a belt imo anyways

Steve-Pulcinella-Do-You-Even-Lift.jpg

In all seriousness though, if you can borrow a good belt, give it a go and see what you think. I used to be like you thinking a belt would only hold me back, but it's the complete opposite. A belt is an important piece of gear any serious lifter should have IMO.

LaneDS

Any good lower back stretches people can recommend? Just started on week 2 of P90X and ow, lower back is not pleased with me currently.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience in this, but I went to look at some dumbbells, wanted to upgrade from my 30lbs cast hex ones.

Saw they had 45lbs. rubber dumbbells, they felt surprisingly light & I really like how they aren't as hard & won't damage the floor by accident or anything like that.

I went around to the cast iron equivalent & it felt noticeably heavier, even though it said 45lbs as well.

Are rubber dumbbells lighter in some way than the iron ones?

balddemon

Banned
What exactly is keeping the weight the same going to do?
i can tell my form is slipping a bit, so not upping the weight this week is good in my eyes, while i get stronger. in theory. do you suggest otherwise?
http://www.allthingsgym.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Steve-Pulcinella-Do-You-Even-Lift.jpg[/MG]

In all seriousness though, if you can borrow a good belt, give it a go and see what you think. I used to be like you thinking a belt would only hold me back, but it's the complete opposite. A belt is an important piece of gear any serious lifter should have IMO.[/QUOTE]

lol

i have used a belt to deadlift before, and it was grand. i just haven't felt it necessary yet (squatting 280, deadlifting 315). although after seeing you post that you use one starting at bodyweight, maybe i will look into getting one.

i'm only 165lbs btw, if that makes a difference

Lately it doesn't feel like my 5x5 setup is enough. Should I add more sets or more weight? (remember, I'm building strength instead of mass)

Steve-Pulcinella-Do-You-Even-Lift.jpg

In all seriousness though, if you can borrow a good belt, give it a go and see what you think. I used to be like you thinking a belt would only hold me back, but it's the complete opposite. A belt is an important piece of gear any serious lifter should have IMO.

Most gyms have communal belts available for use unless you suffer some sort of cleanliness OCD/hypochondria.

Whenever I'd wear belts, I'd get an assortment of spasmodic injuries. Then I figured out I was wearing them too tight. Wear them loose.

kylej

Banned
So I've been trying out this new routine for gaining more gains.

I was wondering though, the system has an off-day between certain days, but I can't go to the gym Saturday or Sunday, but I can go any weekday. I was wondering, does anyone have any tips as to how I should split this up? Should I just go Mon/Tues take Wed off, and then do Thurs/Fri and repeat? Any advice?

What's the most demanding upper body exercise to you? I would put that first, then legs, then rest, then the two upper body days, that way your upper body has a nice chunk of time to recover ie

Chest (if chest is your most demanding day)
Legs
Rest
Back
Shoulders
Rest
Rest

Izick

What's the most demanding upper body exercise to you? I would put that first, then legs, then rest, then the two upper body days, that way your upper body has a nice chunk of time to recover ie

Chest (if chest is your most demanding day)
Legs
Rest
Back
Shoulders
Rest
Rest

Hmm, that sounds good to me. Thanks. :p

Mr.City

i can tell my form is slipping a bit, so not upping the weight this week is good in my eyes, while i get stronger. in theory. do you suggest otherwise?

lol

i have used a belt to deadlift before, and it was grand. i just haven't felt it necessary yet (squatting 280, deadlifting 315). although after seeing you post that you use one starting at bodyweight, maybe i will look into getting one.

i'm only 165lbs btw, if that makes a difference

Getting stronger how? Think with me here. Your body gets stronger by responding to a stress which disrupts homostatitis, aka, your body's ability to keep everything all good in the hood. Greater stressors = a greater demand = a stronger response.

If your form is going to hell, then it may be time to deload, or gasp, use a belt. You may not realize this, but you're very close to a double bodyweight squat as a 1RM and a little ways from a 2.5 bodyweight deadlift 1RM.

If you're still progressing linearly, then it might time to adjust a few things, like having a light day on the squat. Try using a belt; you might like it. Your abs won't turn off, and your dick won't fall off if you use one.

I want bigger pecs. Pecs like that. What did you do?
I am a huge fan of dumbbell exercises when it comes to chest, I may even overemphasize them. I really like how they target my chest. I also like to do a lot of burnouts for chest too. When it comes time to switch things up/shock them, I'll either switch to barbells, or start working in calisthenics for supersets with every lift.

This is just what works for me though

I should note, the strength of my presses really shows my lifting preferences. I have very strong dumbbell presses. (can get up to 100 on incline for reps even after doing flat), but my barbell strength is lacking. I tire out on 225 on flat when I should be able to do much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom