• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a huge fan of dumbbell exercises when it comes to chest, I may even overemphasize them. I really like how they target my chest. I also like to do a lot of burnouts for chest too. When it comes time to switch things up/shock them, I'll either switch to barbells, or start working in calisthenics for supersets with every lift.

This is just what works for me though

I should note, the strength of my presses really shows my lifting preferences. I have very strong dumbbell presses. (can get up to 100 on incline for reps even after doing flat), but my barbell strength is lacking. I tire out on 225 on flat when I should be able to do much more.

I'm on the opposite end, I can get 8 reps at 245/250 but my pecs are too small. When you mean burnouts, does that mean you just do them until failure?

How much do steroids affect your recovery time?

Depends what cycle you use.

I've found a support cycle (natural mostly) increases recovery time

On another note, what's everyones cheat meal/day?

I have to have high protein normally, so chicken and chips does it for me, with an additional fillet burger and some wings. But the problem is, I just read Timedog's thread about pizza and just ordered a 12 slice one that I know I'll finish. Normally people say have a few slices, but wtf? I can't just do a few slices!

Anyway, I have a department lunch tomorrow, I was going to have pizza then, but since I'm at home revising (read: browsing GAF), I thought I'd order the pizza now, and have steak tomorrow for lunch..

mmmm fooood

MjFrancis

pint_gt.gif

44294.jpg

Serving sizes are one pint of Häagen-Dazs green tea ice cream and one entire 86% cacao Ghirardelli chocolate bar. Nothing less shall suffice.

I usually reserve consumption of this madness as part of the post-workout feast - usually after I deadlift.

MjFrancis

I don't consider my burger consumption to be cheating, but were I dieting, yeah, eating three burgers and a salad (my Sunday supper) probably wouldn't have been my first choice of meals.

Petrie

Banned
Im with you on pizza. It is definitely the thing i miss having on a regular basis.

That and ice cream. Seriously, this cut is killing me. Mmm

I am a huge fan of dumbbell exercises when it comes to chest, I may even overemphasize them. I really like how they target my chest. I also like to do a lot of burnouts for chest too. When it comes time to switch things up/shock them, I'll either switch to barbells, or start working in calisthenics for supersets with every lift.

I should note, the strength of my presses really shows my lifting preferences. I have very strong dumbbell presses. (can get up to 100 on incline for reps even after doing flat), but my barbell strength is lacking. I tire out on 225 on flat when I should be able to do much more.

Love DBs for chest, too. Only way I got my chest big and sculpted.

But DBs max out at 100s here in my gym. I switched to BB for a couple of months, and the first day I went back to BB I was able to bench 225 for a few reps. Then my last workout I benched 265. That was that.

Szu

For the most part, same for me. However, in recent months, I've noticed a drop in my DB press. I did go through a few bouts with a nasty cold and a stomach virus. I can still do 90 for reps on flat and get up to 85 for incline.

Due to my elbow surgery and numerous shoulder injuries, I hate the barbell. I still try to work a barbell routine back into my workout. On my first day doing barbell after not touching it in over several years, I struggled with 185, but it was due to my joints not being accustomed to the weight.

On a side note, I do notice that I get the best pump from decline DB press at low weight for high reps (50-60 at 12-15 reps).

Glad I'm not the only one with cheat days still! Sometimes I just fall foul of the cravings. Not really a sweets person. Just heavy cream cheese based meals

Oh and Dumbells for shoulders and chest. Barbell for back and legs. All day

Veezy

que?
Looking for the Greyskull LP ebook, anyone got it?

Best LP out there after a month or two of SS, in my opinion.

Is there any difference in doing a push up like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh00_rniF8E, and this

220px-Liegestuetz02_ani_fcm.gif

I'm referring specifically to the way the arms are bent. In the first they bend towards the stomach, in the second, outward.

I do my push ups with my hands facing towards my body and with my arms close in. I find this puts less stress on my shoulders and uses my chest/lats similar to how they work in a bench press.

EDIT: I just did a push up like I normally do and, yeah, it's like an arrow. Hands facing in, not sure why I got it mixed up. I'm dumb and so is my face.

MjFrancis

Is there any difference in doing a push up like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh00_rniF8E, and this

220px-Liegestuetz02_ani_fcm.gif

I'm referring specifically to the way the arms are bent. In the first they bend towards the stomach, in the second, outward.

From T-Nation:
The Best Damn Push-ups Article, Period! [Print Version]

Think performing a push-up should come as natural as peeing your name in the fresh fallen snow? Think again.

There are three common push-up performance errors.

T-Set Up

pushup-setup.jpg

First, when performing push-ups, people often set up with their hand position high and wide. If you took a snapshot from above as in an aerial view, their set up would look like the letter T. People do this to make the exercise easier.

Why is this position easier?

• The alignment of the pec fibers is better suited to produce force from this position.
  • This position requires less muscle activation (as measured by EMG) in the pecs and the triceps.
  • Shoulder horizontal abduction flexibility is limited, so the structures limiting flexibility will contribute much needed passive force in the bottom position.

Of course, conversely, this means doing push-ups for a test for repetitions, where concerns of strength or muscular hypertrophy are nil, taking a "T set up" may be the better bet.

abuC

Love DBs for chest, too. Only way I got my chest big and sculpted.

But DBs max out at 100s here in my gym. I switched to BB for a couple of months, and the first day I went back to BB I was able to bench 225 for a few reps. Then my last workout I benched 265. That was that.

Same here, I've actually been looking for a new gym just so I can use heavier DBs since my gym only has 120s and I can do 3x8 on incline with those. I would love to go back to benching with DB instead of the bar, gives a much better feel and if you want to max out you don't need a spotter.

Oh, and since people are talking about roids, this episode of True Life always made me laugh -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsXOXRtHaA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF4A97D9AF556D086

I can't take gyms without heavy DBs, for shame. My gym back home was even worse. They stopped at 100 except for this one, janky, super old school, 125 lb one. Looked like the scariest thing in the world back when I hit the 100s for the first time. My uni gym goes up pretty high thankfully.

Glad I'm not the only one who tends to DB for chest and shoulders, I like you guys already.

entremet

It really varies. I like to eat out a lot, so my cheat meals revolve around restaurant visits. Last week it was dim sum and thai. This week maybe pizza.

jts

...hate me...
So I popped my deadlift cherry yesterday.

My god. I slept for 10-11 hours last night. I remember dreaming of getting a massage.

Also, it was the first time I realized what grip strength was about.

Can't wait to get to a new gym in May and start SS proper. Finally bought the book on the Kindle Store a couple of days ago too.

Hmm, looks like I should focus more on DB Bench. I think I will use the DB Bench as my main lift with getting more reps with BB Bench to focus on a pump.

Thx.

jacobs34

So I popped my deadlift cherry yesterday.

My god. I slept for 10-11 hours last night. I remember dreaming of getting a massage.

Also, it was the first time I realized what grip strength was about.

Can't wait to get to a new gym in May and start SS proper. Finally bought the book on the Kindle Store a couple of days ago too.

You'll never get better sleep than when you do lifts like squats and deadlifts.

bro1

Banned
I've been doing a psuedo-SS/Crossfit workout recently and have been looking at the CF Workout of the Day (WOD). Is that all you are supposed to do on that day or are you supposed to do additional strength and endurance work after or before the WOD?

Veezy

que?
I've been doing a psuedo-SS/Crossfit workout recently and have been looking at the CF Workout of the Day (WOD). Is that all you are supposed to do on that day or are you supposed to do additional strength and endurance work after or before the WOD?

The CF main site professes that it's workouts are designed such that all you need to do for your fitness, for that particular day, is a warm up and the WOD.

Now, to be completely honest, I highly doubt that any of the big name Crossfitters are actually only doing the main site WOD. In fact, as per videos I've seen, none of them follow the main site. Most of them do strength training and mix in the safer CF conditioning exercises.

bro1

Banned
The CF main site professes that it's workouts are designed such that all you need to do for your fitness, for that particular day, is a warm up and the WOD.

Now, to be completely honest, I highly doubt that any of the big name Crossfitters are actually only doing the main site WOD. In fact, as per videos I've seen, none of them follow the main site. Most of them do strength training and mix in the safer CF conditioning exercises.

That's what I thought. Today I did a circut of Overhead Press (95lbs x21 reps), Freestanding Squats (50 reps), and Pullups (21reps). I did that 3 times in a row without a break, just reducing the reps for the Overhead Press and Pullups to 15 and 9 for the second and third round.

Afterwards, I worked on Power Cleans (155x3 reps) for 5 sets and called it a day. Hope I'm doing it right! Tomorrow is Squats (275x5), weighted Dips (90lbs), and Burpees for 3 rounds.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Decided to cut BBB from both military press and bench press. I think my upper body is big enough and I might actually be overdoing it with the extra work. Instead I'm going to look into other accessory lifts for both.

Great workout today though. 230x2 for military press and 315x15 for 3 sets of shrugs, my traps are on fire!

Oh, and another day of 100 pullups/chins! Plus hills again, I need a fucking nap.

Veezy

que?
That's what I thought. Today I did a circut of Overhead Press (95lbs x21 reps), Freestanding Squats (50 reps), and Pullups (21reps). I did that 3 times in a row without a break, just reducing the reps for the Overhead Press and Pullups to 15 and 9 for the second and third round.

Afterwards, I worked on Power Cleans (155x3 reps) for 5 sets and called it a day. Hope I'm doing it right! Tomorrow is Squats (275x5), weighted Dips (90lbs), and Burpees for 3 rounds.
You seem to be plenty strong to keep that up. Just be careful that you don't do too much volume with your circuits to negatively impact your strength training.

For your pull ups, you kipping your doing deadhangs? High rep kipping pull ups, espically of the butterfly variety, can lead to SLAP tears.

Bealost

100 Chins, brutal, what rep scheme you using to get them in? Just greasing the groove?

Been about a month since I've lifted last, feeling a little lazy lately although I've been trying to progress to harder bodyweight stuff (did my first handstand pushup today). I need to find a good program to get back on, the big compounds just got boring and painful so they stopped being fun (well mostly squats, who doesn't like heavy benching). Anyone know if any big guys have had success with something like convict conditioning? I've pulled a few exercises from it, trying to work up to one arm chins and pushups, but I'm not following his program persay, just using the more difficult variations of the exercises.

I'm not sure how much is too much and how much rest I need between days of doing 150-200 pushups and 80-120 chins. Is 2-3 times a week too much or is it something I can do more often?

NomarTyme

[IM]http://www.haagendazs.com/img_db/pro/pint_gt.gif[/IMG]

[IM]http://www.candy.com/assets/images/44294.jpg[/IMG]

Serving sizes are one pint of Häagen-Dazs green tea ice cream and one entire 86% cacao Ghirardelli chocolate bar. Nothing less shall suffice.

I usually reserve consumption of this madness as part of the post-workout feast - usually after I deadlift.

If you have a World Market near ya I would recommend 99% which taste much better than Ghirardelli and less sugar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
100 Chins, brutal, what rep scheme you using to get them in? Just greasing the groove?

Are you talking to me here? It's hard to tell since I don't read every post (I glance over the ones like the steroid ones and stuff).

In case you are, I do them in 10 rep sets alternating Pullup, Chin up and Parallel grip pull up. It's great, especially since I remember less than a year ago I was struggling with pullups/chins.

Also, what is "greasing the groove?"

Bealost

Greasing the groove is a term used to describe just doing them daily throughout the day. For instance, I'd say I grease the groove for chins to a point because I have a chin up bar outside my bedroom and do a set of 4 or 5 just about every time I walk by it. There are days where I specifically do bigger sets and try to get a ton of reps in as well though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Greasing the groove is a term used to describe just doing them daily throughout the day. For instance, I'd say I grease the groove for chins to a point because I have a chin up bar outside my bedroom and do a set of 4 or 5 just about every time I walk by it. There are days where I specifically do bigger sets and try to get a ton of reps in as well though.

Ah, no. I do 60 before I go to the gym then the remaining 40 when I return home.

abuC

Didn't know that had a name, I do that all the time with pull/chin-ups and push-ups.

JB1981

So wait the workout calls for 63 reps of overhead press at 95lbs? and 63 reps of pullups? OOoooooo kay. I imagine the form breakdown on the overhead press is rather severe. Are we talking about a strick press or push press? Either way that's a lot of volume.

Edit: wait did you decide to reduce the reps on rounds 2 and 3 yourself or does the WOD call for that?

Bealost

What's everybody's opinion on crossfit? I sit next to a CF coach in class and she's been talking about it nonstop, almost has me convinced. I'd try to find a good CF gym though, I've heard some horror stories.

bro1

Banned
You seem to be plenty strong to keep that up. Just be careful that you don't do too much volume with your circuits to negatively impact your strength training.

For your pull ups, you kipping your doing deadhangs? High rep kipping pull ups, espically of the butterfly variety, can lead to SLAP tears.

Strict pullups only. I have tennis elbow already and I think kipping would make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom