• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

I'm BACK!

Though I didn't post much in here before, I am back! Have my garden gloves on and ready to lift some weights!!

It's been over a year since I've hit the gym, and god it feels so good to be back in to it. I'm starting off slow but already feeling good after a nice workout. I'm changing up my routine a bit and focusing on lower weights and higher reps to start. I've also started biking into work 2-3 days a week for extra cardio.

The hardest (and oddest) part is going for that 40kg dumbell for a Bench Press then realizing I can't even come close to lifting that anymore. Have to start back down at ~20kg and work my way up. Mind games, but egh its what happens when you take such a long break.

I'll see if i can find my old pictures from OT4 or 5 and post what I look liked then and what I look like now. I've gained about 8-10kgs. I think in my prime I was about 78kg, but now I'm around 88kg. Most my muscles have shrunk and my mid section got bigger. I spent the last year traveling and then packing up everything and moving across the world. I'm finally settled back in and joined a gym a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to staying around and posting progress pics! (or lack of)

Sadetar

2 months in to lifting

30 lbs down
Brilliant work! Remember to take photos, loads of photos. You also better be ready to share those with us. :p

Finally hit my 405lb front squat. Nice and deep. Followed up with some back squat work and legs were fried.

405x1 front squat. Back squat 455lbs and 345x5. Entire log is in description.

http://youtu.be/5AxmNhFZUFU
Always a pleasure to check what kind of beast you have been lately.

After looking that I am thinking I should man up and go up with the weights. I am just always thinking I would then bother other people who are working with real weights and would need the squat rack "more" while I play around with only lightweight bars. I should somewhat convince myself that they pay the same amount so I have equal right to use the equipments. Damn brains, so stupid.

I'm BACK!

Though I didn't post much in here before, I am back! Have my garden gloves on and ready to lift some weights!!

It's been over a year since I've hit the gym, and god it feels so good to be back in to it. I'm starting off slow but already feeling good after a nice workout. I'm changing up my routine a bit and focusing on lower weights and higher reps to start. I've also started biking into work 2-3 days a week for extra cardio.

The hardest (and oddest) part is going for that 40kg dumbell for a Bench Press then realizing I can't even come close to lifting that anymore. Have to start back down at ~20kg and work my way up. Mind games, but egh its what happens when you take such a long break.

I'll see if i can find my old pictures from OT4 or 5 and post what I look liked then and what I look like now. I've gained about 8-10kgs. I think in my prime I was about 78kg, but now I'm around 88kg. Most my muscles have shrunk and my mid section got bigger. I spent the last year traveling and then packing up everything and moving across the world. I'm finally settled back in and joined a gym a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to staying around and posting progress pics! (or lack of)
Welcome back! I am already looking forward to see some photos! :D

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So is this the lifting thread, or the fitness thread?

Is there a difference? To me this reads like; so is this the strawberry thread, or the fruit thread?

As stated, if you are separating lifting from endurance and body weight stuff this thread heavily leans weightlifting.

BumRush

Anyone in here will answer all fitness questions but it just so happens that most fitness questions can be answered with a solid diet and a good progressive lifting routine (SS, 531, etc).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Listen to this man. Front squats strengthen your quads which will carry over to back squats

Front squats do far more than work quads. They hammer upper back and abs too.

Anyone here ever try Reeves DL? (I'm looking at you Brolic since you're a big fan of snatch grip)

Can't say I have.

Baller.

One of these days we're going to find out you're using those cross-fit bumper plates!

Thanks and that would never be the case. Plus, lookatdat bar bend.

So is this the lifting thread, or the fitness thread?

Fitness is relative. Fitness to one person is different for another be it what you do for work/life and/or the sport you've chosen, the definition of fitness will change. A fit Powerlifter looks far different than a fit swimmer and as such, a swimmer isn't fit for powerlifting, nor should a powerlifter compete in swimming.

So yes, it's a fitness thread.

Brilliant work! Remember to take photos, loads of photos. You also better be ready to share those with us. :p

Always a pleasure to check what kind of beast you have been lately.

After looking that I am thinking I should man up and go up with the weights. I am just always thinking I would then bother other people who are working with real weights and would need the squat rack "more" while I play around with only lightweight bars. I should somewhat convince myself that they pay the same amount so I have equal right to use the equipments. Damn brains, so stupid.

Welcome back! I am already looking forward to see some photos! :D

Thanks, and go heavy, just be sure you're ready mentally and physically for the weight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know, you make it look too easy though. Front squats are incredibly difficult for me compared to regular squats, so it helps to watch smooth form.

They suck for me too. That moment when I grab the bar and lean, I'm waiting for my vision to go not black and the "thumping" in my ears to go away. I'm always a few seconds from blacking out doing heavy FS. Appreciate the form comment as well.

yogloo

Fitness is relative. Fitness to one person is different for another be it what you do for work/life and/or the sport you've chosen, the definition of fitness will change. A fit Powerlifter looks far different than a fit swimmer and as such, a swimmer isn't fit for powerlifting, nor should a powerlifter compete in swimming.

So yes, it's a fitness thread.

Very well said. That's exactly the way I see it when I quote appearance is the consequence of fitness.

Talking of DOMS, this week when I did leg day I also decided to do a hard session on the turbo trainer. Oddly enough, very little in the way of soreness so far.

I'd never want to try that again (was horrifically hard to manage both), but I'm certainly tempted if it means being able to walk for the rest of the week.

entremet

I recently picked Justin Lascek 70's Big LP ebook.

Really solid programming. It's a bit expensive for an ebook-20 bucks. But I got so much free info from Justin over the years.

Lots of progression variations as well.

Mumei

Thought FitGAF might find this interesting

Identical twins in Finland who shared the same sports and other physical activities as youngsters but different exercise habits as adults soon developed quite different bodies and brains, according to a fascinating new study that highlights the extent to which exercise shapes our health, even in people who have identical genes and nurturing.

[...]

But eventually the researchers homed in on 10 pairs of male identical twins, one of whom regularly exercised, while the other did not, usually because of work or family pressures, the researchers determined.

The dissimilarities in their exercise routines had mostly begun within the past three years, according to their questionnaires.

The scientists invited these twins into the lab and measured each young man’s endurance capacity, body composition and insulin sensitivity, to determine their fitness and metabolic health. The scientists also scanned each twin’s brain.

Then they compared the twins’ results.

It turned out that these genetically identical twins looked surprisingly different beneath the skin and skull. The sedentary twins had lower endurance capacities, higher body fat percentages, and signs of insulin resistance, signaling the onset of metabolic problems. (Interestingly, the twins tended to have very similar diets, whatever their workout routines, so food choices were unlikely to have contributed to health differences.)

The twins’ brains also were unalike. The active twins had significantly more grey matter than the sedentary twins, especially in areas of the brain involved in motor control and coordination.

Presumably, all of these differences in the young men’s bodies and brains had developed during their few, brief years of divergent workouts, underscoring how rapidly and robustly exercising — or not — can affect health, said Dr. Urho Kujala, a professor of sports and exercise medicine at the University of Jyvaskyla who oversaw the study.

Of course, the study was small and not a formal randomized trial, although it involved identical twins.

But Dr. Kujala said he believes that the results strongly imply that the differences in the twin’s exercise habits caused the differences in their bodies.

More subtly, the findings also point out that genetics and environment “do not have to be” destiny when it comes to exercise habits, Dr. Kujala said. For these particular twins, whether their genes and childhoods nudged them toward exercising regularly or slumping on the couch, one of the pair overcame that legacy and did the opposite (for better and worse).

Chocobro

I recently picked Justin Lascek 70's Big LP ebook.

Really solid programming. It's a bit expensive for an ebook-20 bucks. But I got so much free info from Justin over the years.

Lots of progression variations as well.

I'm still debating whether or not to get it. Does he explain why weighted dips are the first lift on Fridays?

entremet

I'm still debating whether or not to get it. Does he explain why weighted dips are the first lift on Fridays?

Yes.

He starts all workouts with a pressing type movement. It's a 3x per week split.

Mondays you do Overhead Press.
Wednesdays you do Bench
Friday you do Wtg Dips.

The program tries to address the lack of upper body strength and muscular development that many of the 5x5 programs are weak with.

After the pressing movements you do a LB compound. He has Back squats, Deads and Front squats.

Then some back exercises and then arm work.

blackflag

IMO this is my least favorite row. When I start adding weight it feels like I'm getting the wind knocked out of me during my sets. Overall an extremely uncomfortable exercise.

My favorite 'row' has to be Meadows Rows or briefcase rows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4YjAHcWrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk4jObhffP4

Yeah I can't stand that row. If there's no base I'll stick a bar in a corner and do T-bar rows.

Damn never thought of doing them like those videos....it's so obvious though damn. Been missing out, these look good.

entremet

And then a compound afterward though?

I don't belive so. It's been a while. I can see weighted dips really hurting your bench and OHP but doing squats or DLs after shouldn't be an issue.

Justin only has you do one pressing movement per day. So it should not be an issue.

The website is down but this is the rough template. I might be missing stuff.

Monday:
OHP
Back Squat
Weighted Chins
Biceps

Wednesday:
Bench
Deadlift
Weighted Pull ups
Triceps

Fridays:
Weighted Dips
Front Squat/Back squat
Barbell Row
Biceps

It's just a slight tweak of SS/SL type programs with arm work.

BumRush

Ahhh that makes sense...I thought he was lumping weight dips with a press and I just would never want to do that.

How's the cut going cooter?

Cooter

Ahhh that makes sense...I thought he was lumping weight dips with a press and I just would never want to do that.

How's the cut going cooter?
It's going. Down to about 2200 this week and it's a breeze. Waist is getting smaller already. I should be 10-12% by mid April.

RoeBear

It's going. Down to about 2200 this week and it's a breeze. Waist is getting smaller already. I should be 10-12% by mid April.
Damn that's a fast drop. I was instructed to not go under 3000, and to start weighing my stuff down to the gram. Nofunallowed.jpg

Damn that's a fast drop. I was instructed to not go under 3000, and to start weighing my stuff down to the gram. Nofunallowed.jpg
Yeah that is pretty steep, I think you explained before Cooter, but why they quick cut?

I go about 2800 on a cut and even that seems low to me. Though I admit I do have days where I go as low as 2200-2400.

You'll definitely be shredded soon though.

Cooter

Yeah that is pretty steep, I think you explained before Cooter, but why they quick cut?

I go about 2800 on a cut and even that seems low to me. Though I admit I do have days where I go as low as 2200-2400.

You'll definitely be shredded soon though.
Usually I go straight down to 2000-2200 but this time I took a week to get there. No reason really. Just me knowing myself and my all or nothing disposition. I know how I function and how quickly I shred fat at 2000 so I'd rather get to it ASAP.

SeanR1221

Usually I go straight down to 2000-2200 but this time I took a week to get there. No reason really. Just me knowing myself and my all or nothing disposition. I know how I function and how quickly I shred fat at 2000 so I'd rather get to it ASAP.

It all depends on the person too.

I definitely wouldn't lose weight at 3000 or even 2800.

I know some guys who can lose on that much and some who can only eat 1800 and still lift heavy and maintain a low bf%

Oh of course. I was just curious if you were planning for something or following some kind of special plan. I haven't read this thread much lately.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm a weirdo and love measuring all my shit out, by the gram. Build my dinner plate, weigh the protein, zero it out, and all the other shit. Good to know youved dialed your shit in by the end of the day with a small margin of error.

I'm a weirdo and love measuring all my shit out, by the gram. Build my dinner plate, weigh the protein, zero it out, and all the other shit. Good to know youved dialed your shit in by the end of the day with a small margin of error.

It's all well and good, but in reality unless you're eating artificial food (protein powders etc) all the time there's MASSIVE variability in the nutritional content of what you get. I've seen research that has shown anywhere up to 20% on some foods (and not talking about processed stuff either, which could be far worse).

Doesn't stop me though. lol

Sadetar

I have slept so badly this whole week due to stress and pain. I can't sleep even 1,5 hours without waking up and then spending around the same time trying to fall asleep again. I am at the moment doing my graduating thesis (120 pages waiting to be written), I have awful schedule (under 2 months) to do it and that doesn't help at all. Doctor should call me tomorrow and hopefully I will get better pain medication to help me to sleep. In any case the following two months will be a total nightmare to me. Why oh why I didn't start it earlier...

Thanks, and go heavy, just be sure you're ready mentally and physically for the weight.
Well, my heavy is certainly totally different than your heavy. :p Next time I go to gym I am going to try the heavier bar for sure at least for one set. It shouldn't be that overwhelming if I can bench press anyways double as much. I am still planning to take it easy because of the possible nerve pain.

Did Romanian deadlifts while I waited for the power rack to open for squats. Dem asscheek doms
I miss that feeling.

I honestly also think I managed to fuck up my piriformis muscle when doing those and that is the main reason I am in agony at the moment. At least the pain started basicly after doing those. Sadly it took me nearly three months to get it diagnosed since I was thinking it was the herniated disk acting up again (it is the same nerve that is pinched so easy mistake).

Zoe

So my triathlon friend is getting to get me into relays by saying that most tri people suck at swimming. Is she being humble or is there some truth there?

Speaking casual level, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom