• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

Sapiens

Pretty disappointed by this.

There are so many other games on PSN that you can spend your tenner on.

I was lured by this board to get it, after promises of a transcendent gameplay experience, but it's often frustration.

After one playthrough, that's it. Not much to reflect on or replay.

I'm more of a gameplay kind of guy. I like Street Fighter IV, Warhawk, Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, etc.

Flower just wasn't made for me. It's more geared to the "games are really art, therefore my childish hobby is justified, roger ebert is a jerk" set.

yeah I see what ur saying. I dont see myself playing it over and over again but it's the kind of game you just want in your collection. To play through every once in a while.

it's exactly what I'd want in a game where you're a flower.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Sapiens said:
Flower just wasn't made for me.

That's all it is though. Like yourself I love the games you quoted. Used to be a huge Warhawk player at one stage and Resident Evil 4 is one of my top games of all time. Yet I loved Flower and continue to do so. It just obviously wasn't for you which is a pity as those that really get it seem to come away with an entirely unique experience many games have never evoked from them.

As much as I do agree with many that it does justify gaming as a interactive work of art it was the experience I got from playing Flower that was important to me, not the argument that it would prove gaming can be classed as an art form.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
TTP said:
Hoped for Move support announcement.

(Don't think it's ever coming)

What would be the point, though...? Controlling it by tilting the DS3 works perfectly fine, I don't see how using a Move controller for the same thing would make it any better. Pointer controls...? Nah.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I really liked it. I have no interest in how people choose to define "art", but I enjoyed Flower for it's sometimes uplifting, sometimes melancholy audio/visual combo. The sixaxis controls worked pretty good, for me it was about just relaxing and going with the flOw rather than rushing from A to B. I don't want every game to be like it, but it's a great little diversion from the norm in gaming.

StuBurns

Banned
I've only played thru it twice I think. If I'd have only played thru it once I'd have been happy with the cost, at double even.

thcsquad

Sapiens said:

I was lured by this board to get it, after promises of a transcendent gameplay experience, but it's often frustration.

I'm more of a gameplay kind of guy. I like Street Fighter IV, Warhawk, Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, etc.

Flower just wasn't made for me. It's more geared to the "games are really art, therefore my childish hobby is justified, roger ebert is a jerk" set.

You remind me of people who think that the only reason people listen to jazz or classical is to appear classy. It's fine if you don't enjoy the game, but by the last paragraph you just sound unnecessarily defensive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheJollyCorner said:
I still want a snow level. :(

It would be pretty, but I dunno if a snow level would work with the whole Flower thing. ;)

As much as I liked Flower, there is no need for a sequel. I'd rather see TGC keep experimenting with new idears. Journey seems pretty cool, but for next game I'd like to see something as trippy as flOw.

Snuggler said:
It would be pretty, but I dunno if a snow level would work with the whole Flower thing. ;)

As much as I liked Flower, there is no need for a sequel. I'd rather see TGC keep experimenting with new idears. Journey seems pretty cool, but for next game I'd like to see something as trippy as flOw.

move the pedals, melt snow, make grass grow= magic :D

Journey will be awesome. I can feel it in the fl0w of my penis.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheJollyCorner said:
\Journey will be awesome. I can feel it in the fl0w of my penis.

This could be their next game, you're a sperm trying to flOw to the eggs. Although I'm pretty sure that's what PixelJunk Eden was about...

Sapiens said:

Flower just wasn't made for me.

I'm a pretty stolid, emotionless guy so I totally get where you are coming from. I was swayed by the hype and bought the game. Played through it and yes, it's pretty but it's also simple and boring from a gameplay perspective which is what matters to me. I would rate PixelJunk Shooter much higher than Flower. Like you I apparently don't "get it". But I don't "get" Gran Turismo or other realistic driving games either, and people love those too.

So I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes a game other people love to death just doesn't work for a person, and since that person literally can not understand what's so great about it he thinks that everyone who did was either high at the time or has ulterior reasons for doing so. But really they just love the game, and like a colorblind person guys like you and I are lacking the gene that allows us to do the same. They can't ALL be wrong, so I just shake my head and let them enjoy it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sapiens said:

I think, to be fair, it is geared towards the "I want to experience an exploration of the effects of man on nature from the opposite perspective, to perhaps feel a more emotional connection to it. At least for a little while." set.

It was a powerful experience for me, and definitely one of the most memorable things I've picked up a dualshock for.

Acid08

Banned
Weird bump but I was thinking about this game today and I think I was able to get more people to play this game than any other game. Like, I would show it to my friends and they would be immediately fascinated with it and want to play through it right away. A lot of these people didn't regularly play video games at all, super casual fans. Basically I'm saying this game is brilliant and fuck yeah I'm going to play through it again.

I played it when I had a PS3 for a month at home when a friend went on vacations... I loved this game. So much that I could never dare to start the (what I think it is) the last level. 18 months later I'm still missing the last level, and I still don't have a PS3. When I get one I'll replay the whole game and it'll be just as awesome.

Acid08 said:
Weird bump but I was thinking about this game today and I think I was able to get more people to play this game than any other game. Like, I would show it to my friends and they would be immediately fascinated with it and want to play through it right away. A lot of these people didn't regularly play video games at all, super casual fans. Basically I'm saying this game is brilliant and fuck yeah I'm going to play through it again.
Seems to be quite a special game, this Flower. I even got a friend of mine to play it, who's usually mostly into shooters/space alien shit like Halo, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Metro 2033... Anyway, he was genuinely enjoying Flower when I let him play it, he even tossed in the words genius and beautiful, which I had never expected him to say about Flower.

Haven't played it since I first completed it, because my PSN account was apparently shared too many times when my ps3 died (lost Store games.. smh).

Thinking about rebuying it once Journey hits, a (temporary) prixe drop would be nice then!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
One time, I had a terrible headache coming home from work (testing games).

Then I decided to try out Flower for the first time.

Before I knew it, headache was gone.

Flower improves your life.

Zoibie

The OST is just so incredibly calming and relaxing, I think I'll have to replay this sometime soon.

Can't wait for Journey and I really hope TGC sign on to do more games on PSN.

Top Bottom