• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

Vinci

Danish
LLaMa-Tech said:
I this just a meme of some sort?

This game is not the best by any means imo

See. We're different people. You like X, I like Z. It's nothing for you to fret over or mock with 'meme' suggestions. We don't have to agree.

Vinci said:
See. We're different people. You like X, I like Z. It's nothing for you to fret over or mock with 'meme' suggestions. We don't have to agree.

I apologize for the meme suggestion.

I will give it another chance tonite.

I felt like I should have liked it more. To be honest I think I liked Flow better out of the 2. Still, I'm interested to see what they do next.

Vinci

Danish
LLaMa-Tech said:
I apologize for the meme suggestion.

I will give it another chance tonite.

Do so. But if afterwards, you still don't feel it's the OMGAWSUM game that some of us are suggesting it is... that's cool. I have no issue with you disagreeing with me. For all I know MGS4 is your favorite game ever, meanwhile I don't give a shit about it and think Kojima is nothing special.

LLaMa-Tech said:
I this just a meme of some sort?

This game is not the best by any means imo
Flower is still fun especially after a stressful day. Just fire it up and fly all over the place. Its still one of the most downloaded games on PSN and it won best independent game at spike vga 2009 even though it's a popularity contest. I haven't played any game quite like it. Whatever float your boat I guess.

I need to go back and get my last trophy, the one without getting burned... Probably tonight.

Flower is still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had on the PS3 - such an absolutely beautiful and polished game. :D

Vinci said:
For all I know MGS4 is your favorite game ever, meanwhile I don't give a shit about it...
No problem, that's your prerogative.

Vinci said:
...and think Kojima is nothing special.
Factually incorrect.

On topic, video games don't typically generate much emotion in me (besides joy at playing very good ones, but that's a meta-emotion). Of those that do, Flower has to be the strongest and most consistent at it. I almost don't understand how someone could not be moved by it.

darkwing

Auron_Kale said:
I need to go back and get my last trophy, the one without getting burned... Probably tonight.

Flower is still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had on the PS3 - such an absolutely beautiful and polished game. :D

indeed, best use of the SixAxis ever too

Vinci

Danish
Liabe Brave said:
Factually incorrect.

Eh.

On topic, video games don't typically generate much emotion in me (besides joy at playing very good ones, but that's a meta-emotion). Of those that do, Flower has to be the strongest and most consistent at it. I almost don't understand how someone could not be moved by it.

I've had people watch me play Flower and they weren't impressed. Once they played it themselves, however, that quickly changed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Artex said:
It was pretty sweet, but I always had some trouble with the controls. I tended to overturn too often. That kinda held it back for me from being great to just good.
Well the control is very precise. I almost never did any sharp turns, but maybe that is because I always curved around gradually to wherever I was going.
Just liked playing that way, not a game to play by going in straight lines :D

I felt like I had perfect control and it really improved the experience for me,

darkwing

nice!

Dynamic Theme and OST available soon

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-now-available-original-soundtrack-announced/

So, back to the anniversary. To celebrate Flower turning one year young, and all the success the game has enjoyed since its release, we’ve put together a beautiful and serene dynamic theme, complete with day and night cycles, for all the fans who want to bring the Flower experience to their XMB. This went live on the PlayStation Store yesterday for the low price of $2.99. Go check it out!

Want more than just the dynamic theme? Then you’re in luck! Coming soon, we’ll be releasing the original soundtrack for Flower composed by Vincent Diamante. This soundtrack has been remastered and mixed specifically for this release, and more details will be announced in the near future. So check back on the blog for a release date and pricing!

RavenFox

Banned
darkwing said:
indeed, best use of the SixAxis ever too
and best use of motion control ever
mclaren777 said:
I'm hosting this package as a direct download now. Enjoy. :D

http://www.maximum-attack.com/Flower_Wallpapers.zip

2eykpid.jpg
:D Can't thank you enough.

darkwing said:
nice!

Dynamic Theme and OST available soon

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-now-available-original-soundtrack-announced/

So, back to the anniversary. To celebrate Flower turning one year young, and all the success the game has enjoyed since its release, we’ve put together a beautiful and serene dynamic theme, complete with day and night cycles, for all the fans who want to bring the Flower experience to their XMB. This went live on the PlayStation Store yesterday for the low price of $2.99. Go check it out!

Want more than just the dynamic theme? Then you’re in luck! Coming soon, we’ll be releasing the original soundtrack for Flower composed by Vincent Diamante. This soundtrack has been remastered and mixed specifically for this release, and more details will be announced in the near future. So check back on the blog for a release date and pricing!

Bought and finished the game two days ago, what an amazing experience !

I hope the dynamic theme will makes it to EU...
(tomorrow ? Please...........)

This is a game I have only played sporadically with weeks in-between, in short 10 minute bursts - honestly, only to show off the engine to friends.

but man, what a spectacular "game"

So far there doesn't seem to be anything punitive about it. It's a really relaxing experience.

Provider

_dementia said:
This is a game I have only played sporadically with weeks in-between, in short 10 minute bursts - honestly, only to show off the engine to friends.

but man, what a spectacular "game"

So far there doesn't seem to be anything punitive about it. It's a really relaxing experience.

I think the best way to enjoy it is to go from start to finish in one session. That way the message can really get to you.

Can't believe it's been a whole year!

I actually spoke with someone who in turn spoke with Jenova Chen, and what I got was that flOwer DLC was brought up, but denied, due to the team not being satisfied with flOw's DLC.

Such a shame, there is a lot of potential - my biggest request out of flOwer would have been for a free-roaming stage, free of objectives or pre-determined paths, which combines all the elements of the main story stages ('painting', light, etc). Basically, a huge, endless field of rainbows of flowers. Kind of like a giant canvas encompassing all gameplay elements, to tinker with.

Imagine blowing through these, blooming thouands of petals to create your own unique wind trail blend:
2qkp2z5.jpg
2qaqy3d.jpg
mr4goz.jpg

I hope this idea is noted by more of their team member and considered. This is all Flower needs, I just think they have it in their head that DLC would "cheapen" the product - yes, it would if it was done wrong and was something like "DLC Pack 1 of 20 - New petal color A". Think of Wipeout HD to the Wipeout HD Fury expansion, that is quality.
So maybe I am falling on deaf ears here? I want to know what the team think, perhaps it'd be smarter to post a more detailed version of this on their forum. But I have a guess someone will run into this sometime.

PS - I fully support TGC with the new dynamic theme and upcoming official soundtrack. Can't wait. :D

templeusox said:
Can't wait for thatgamecompany's new game, whatever that may be.
Agreed. flOw and Flower are fantastic games, especially for breaking the monotony of too many genre titles.

The way musical intensity was used in Flower was invigorating. I wonder how the OST will encompass this? The Playstation Blog does mention that the composer has remixed the original compositions. It'll be interesting to see how he has, essentially, reinterpreted the dynamic soundtrack present in the game.

Haunted

Probably my favourite PSN game. Great stuff.

My question is whether the next thatgamecompany title will employ the same basic structure as their previous three, and will distinguish itself by presentation and [control] implementation again, OR whether they'll go in another direction entirely with the gameplay.

loosus

Banned
I really liked the game when it was released, but boy, I went back to it and it's probably the most boring game I've ever played. :lol I can't believe how excited I was about it a year ago! It's one of those "Yeah yeah, I liked it...back then!" moments, sort of like being in love with Donkey Kong 64 when it was first released.

Haunted said:
Oh, I'd love that dynamic theme. But I'm really not fine with paying for this kind of shit. Bummer.

Neither am I but this theme is lovely.

Day to Night cycle, subtle motion in grass, and every so often passing petals/flower bunches and waves of wind.

Doesn't disturb text readability at night/dusk or day and also includes custom sounds.

I bought it now when it's on sale, tried it, but I can´t say I get it. The motion sensor controls just feels awkward, and the games diffuse goals doesn´t do it for me. The goal is for much what defines a game, and when I don´t get any real information about what's going on, then it doesn´t click for me.

teiresias

The only trophy I have left in Flower is the "Bloom X flowers". I can't remember the number off the top of my head. Does that have to be in one game session or is it totalled for your entire save game? I pick it up every now and then and pick a level to play to up my total, but wasn't sure if it had to be in one gaming session or not.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can anyone tell me if the theme has a good sunset?

For the longest time I was thinking the end of level 3 (I think...) would be the perfect dynamic theme. The one with the blazing sunset.

edgefusion

Audioboxer87 said:
Neither am I but this theme is lovely.

Day to Night cycle, subtle motion in grass, and every so often passing petals/flower bunches and waves of wind.

Doesn't disturb text readability at night/dusk or day and also includes custom sounds.

Have you got a link to a video?

teiresias said:
So the day/night cycles within an hour? It doesn't follow your system clock to match the actual time?

It's probably longer mate I wasn't paying attention, I was on the PC, I think it does from like 5-8 or something it keeps getting lower then sets, then becomes night time.

I just kept noticing it when moving around my room the sun was getting lower, then at one point it was like a sunset, then later on it was night time and moon was out.

Agent X

teiresias said:
The only trophy I have left in Flower is the "Bloom X flowers". I can't remember the number off the top of my head. Does that have to be in one game session or is it totalled for your entire save game? I pick it up every now and then and pick a level to play to up my total, but wasn't sure if it had to be in one gaming session or not.

It doesn't have to be in a single session.

I bought the Flower OST today. Everyone would probably think that the PSN store update was pretty weak this week, but this album is gem. Every track brings every emotion I had playing the game. Sounds cheesy, but I played the game when I just wanted to unwind.

Great production, high quality format. Once you download from the PSN store you can transfer it to your computer freely. No DRM needed, but a hard copy would be really cool. Hopefully they'll do some sort of giveaway.

This album has uplifting tracks with serene melodies that will just make you melt away and forget about daily shit, I love it.

Lazy Dream 3:06
Life as a Flower 5:42
Nighttime Excursion 5:35
Peaceful Response 9:24
Purification of the City 12:21
Sailing on the Wind 7:30
Solitary Wastelend 11:40
Splash of Color 9:16

zurra

the soundtrack is so relaxing and peaceful. if you thought the music in the game was beautiful, there's no reason you won't like it - it evokes a lot of memories of playing the game, at least for me. can't believe it was only $2.99!

gonna be looping it quite a bit at work to cancel out the craziness going on. :D

diddlyD

Banned
jett said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HlJjtNSsto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0hWh015ek

Just...great. Perfect. The second link made me as emotional as when I played that level the first time. ;_;

I honestly cannot wait for Jenova Chen's next game.

i love that second one, from the last stage. but i wish they had the budget to use a real orchestra instead of synth. some of the clarinet and oboe parts go out of range from what a real instrument would do and it kind of ruins it for me :(

Top Bottom