• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

Dizzan

MINI Member
Finally got around to finishing this gem. I hate the game as art crap but what a sensational experience which became more "gamey" as it progressed. Best 5 bucks ive ever spent.

It should seriously be a GOTY contender. That last level felt so liberating!

Dead Man

Alright. Finally got around to getting this. A friend of mine who is not into gaming except a few things like LBP had a go, she was hooked. Played for hours, through dinner, through dessert. It's truly a wonderful game. The mechanics are simple and easily picked up, and the use of environmental cues is awesome.

Gryphter said:
can anyone tell me if the 2nd to last flower is supposed to look wilted over, and if the stage is suppsed to end
right before you reach the actual end point

I wasnt sure if I failed the level or if it's scripted this way

Yeah. Is it supposed to be a sad wilted thing, or did we do something wrong?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just a random thought, but am I the only one who, upon replaying the game, prefers to play the first three levels? There's something so relaxing about them.

STG

Rez said:
Just a random thought, but am I the only one who, upon replaying the game, prefers to play the first three levels? There's something so relaxing about them.
yeah same here

Just got the Pure trophy last night. I collected the last two petals while carefully staying safe through the level. Seeing the end of that collapsing tunnel was a great thing.

Now I just need to grab a huge lot of flowers and (I guess) all the last petals for that final trophy?

SiegfriedFM said:
Just got the Pure trophy last night. I collected the last two petals while carefully staying safe through the level. Seeing the end of that collapsing tunnel was a great thing.

Now I just need to grab a huge lot of flowers and (I guess) all the last petals for that final trophy?

what's your last trophy?..

Rez said:
Whichever the dark level is. Glowing grass is serene and mesmerizing. I just play up until that point and flow through it. Clears my head and occupies it with "ooooh, look at the pretty lights :)" It's a bit like zombies and fireworks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
VibratingDonkey said:
Whichever the dark level is. Glowing grass is serene and mesmerizing. I just play up until that point and flow through it. Clears my head and occupies it with "ooooh, look at the pretty lights :)" It's a bit like zombies and fireworks.
I'd like that one a whole lot more if there was a way to turn off the sections where it takes control away to show an area, but yeah, that's a great level too

Neiteio

I think my favorite stage is a toss-up between the second or the third.

The second stage is probably the best from a "WOW LOOK AT HOW THE STAGE CHANGED" standpoint, since it starts all black-and-white but by the end is practically bleeding with color. (Pink and blue grass? WTF!) The shot of the mountain valley transforming is astounding, and I love the painting mechanic.

But then I love the windmills and warm-winds-before-a-storm feel of the third stage, not to mention its canyon/cave runs with the multiple passes and the sunset windmills at the end. Great, great stuff.

So stages two and three for me. :D

jax (old)

Banned
bought this today. Up to stage 5 or 6 - I didn't like the stages where the game constantly took the control out of your hand to "show the environmental effect" of your flower/petal collection. Still quite beautiful.

but I'm not sure if it was worth $12.95 AUD. maybe about $10? or $8. I know niggling... but compared to something like PJE, this game really isn't so much more game :p

still PSN's continued release of quirky awesome titles has to be supported. I didn't gameshare this. :)

yes.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
U K Narayan said:
I finally beat this last night.

The last level... that was incredible. I was overwhelmed.

I have nothing else to say. I'm speechless.

It's times like these I wish there was a fancy "Selective Memory Deleter" so I could forget Flower and play it again as if it was the first time.

RPS37

Neiteio said:
But then I love the windmills and warm-winds-before-a-storm feel of the third stage, not to mention its canyon/cave runs with the multiple passes and the sunset windmills at the end. Great, great stuff.

There's also TONS of flowers compared to the other stages.
That's why it should automatically be considered the best of the 6.

SnakeXs said:
It's times like these I wish there was a fancy "Selective Memory Deleter" so I could forget Flower and play it again as if it was the first time.

What's funny is that GAF has some members with the most selective memories and eyes I've ever seen on the Internet, so you're probably posting in the right place :D

I'm not aiming at anyone in particular, but I think some will agree with that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
U K Narayan said:

I agree. I wish it had a screensaver mode. I would love an animated XMB theme/Screensaver that is Flower.

AndyD

aka andydumi
epmode said:
But it does. Press select.

I mean a screensaver where it drives around collecting flowers by itself. Like a demo mode. Like auto pilot. Especially once you beat it with 100% its not like there are secrets anymore.

Same, the game could do with a few more levels. Doesn't have to follow the main 'story', just some new areas would be cool. I'd pay like $5 for a 2-3 more levels.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jax said:
bought this today. Up to stage 5 or 6 - I didn't like the stages where the game constantly took the control out of your hand to "show the environmental effect" of your flower/petal collection. Still quite beautiful.

but I'm not sure if it was worth $12.95 AUD. maybe about $10? or $8. I know niggling... but compared to something like PJE, this game really isn't so much more game :p
Did finishing the game make it worth it to you?
U K Narayan said:

UKAV1.png

Evander

"industry expert"
Rez said:
I'd like that one a whole lot more if there was a way to turn off the sections where it takes control away to show an area, but yeah, that's a great level too

yeah, it was really my only gripe, but even then, the reason why just because I wanted to play those parts myself.

When my only gripe about a game is "I want to play more of it, then (assuming the game isn't too short, which I don't think Flower was) that is a pretty good sign.)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I know I am LTTP on this one, but I just bought/played/beat the game today.

Pretty neat game, I grew "uncomfortable" playing on that power lines level haha. Still a fun game, worth $10.

My only gripe would be the motion controls, maybe I just SUCK at the game (a very real possibility) but I had a hard time holding the controller steady and making it go where I want to go. My hands also got cramped tilting it around everywhere. Still a fun game, I can't wait to try and make other members of my family try the game out. I think they will like it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Probably one of the most interesting gaming experiences I've had in quite a while. I loved it. My friend and I took turns with the levels, and both of us were just completely silent for two hours. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Adam Prime said:

Pretty neat game, I grew "uncomfortable" playing on that power lines level haha. Still a fun game, worth $10.

My only gripe would be the motion controls, maybe I just SUCK at the game (a very real possibility) but I had a hard time holding the controller steady and making it go where I want to go. My hands also got cramped tilting it around everywhere. Still a fun game, I can't wait to try and make other members of my family try the game out. I think they will like it.
Fantastic controls imo, I play one handed and it just follows my motions perfectly :)

I use index finger on R2.

Raist

Banned
Adam Prime said:

Easily the best use of the sixaxixaxixaxis, by far IMO. So yeah, you SUCK.

:p

Maybe you're doing it wrong, I dunno. You have to be relaxed and it works very well. You can even hold the controller by the tip of the handles, it can help. Or just use one hand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kaako said:
Where is my Flower DLC level pack? :(
I would easily pay another $10 for 5 new levels. I freaking <3 Flower.
it doesn't need DLC, in my opinion. I'm happy for TGC to move on and do something completely new.

Agent X

Gold Member
If I recall, that patch was released about 2-3 months ago, and fixed some minor bugs such as the sound breaking up on the 6th stage.

Hey guys, did they ever end up releasing the soundtrack? I have been taking a look around the internet for information on it today but can't find anything. Does anyone have any info about it?

Just played through this again tonight because I was in a chillout mood. Still unmatched beauty in this game, and the best implementation of motion controls to date. The piano tracks are soothing and the vistas absolutely stunning with the green field in Level 1, the passage of time from day to dusk in Level 3 and the shimmering blue lights of Level 4.

Definitely hope to see a dynamic theme from thatgamecompany and can't wait to find out what theyre working on next.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Just played through this again tonight because I was in a chillout mood. Still unmatched beauty in this game, and the best implementation of motion controls to date. The piano tracks are soothing and the vistas absolutely stunning with the green field in Level 1, the passage of time from day to dusk in Level 3 and the shimmering blue lights of Level 4.

Definitely hope to see a dynamic theme from thatgamecompany and can't wait to find out what theyre working on next.
The more I think on it, the more I think a Flower theme wouldn't be the same.

Put it on, place the controller down, hit mute. Not nearly the same. Flower needs its audio.

Yeah I'd like to see audio be available to custom themes (the sound of the wind is what makes Flower's audio really pop) but that'd probably bring more problems with it fading in and out whenever you play music or rollover a game.

Also to all the new PS3 owners, you should certainly buy this as one of your first PSN games. Its an experience like no other and really has a wow factor to it.

MvmntInGrn said:
The more I think on it, the more I think a Flower theme wouldn't be the same.

Put it on, place the controller down, hit mute. Not nearly the same. Flower needs its audio.
While I agree, have you ever watched the scenes that show after completing a level? They could do something like that with flowers and grass blowing in the wind, and you could provide your own sound effects. :p

On second thought, would they be able to pull it off? How much processing power for rendering the grass would be pulled away from XMB activities?

Agent X said:
If I recall, that patch was released about 2-3 months ago, and fixed some minor bugs such as the sound breaking up on the 6th stage.

Hmm I guess that patch didn't work because my sound broke up near the end of the game. Anyway I finally got this game the other day and like everyone else has said, it was a unique experience. I've never played anything like this. The ending levels took me by surprise, I didn't expect the game to get that intense. Holy shit. It just shows what's possible in a game if people use their imagination. Gives me hope for gaming, that's what I felt while playing it.

A dynamic theme would be great too, I agree. Maybe I would actually buy that one.

WinFonda

Agent X said:
Argh hell this just happened to me. Haven't downloaded the patch though, but it sucks... totally spoiled the awesome mood.

Top Bottom