• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flower (PSN)

TylerD

Flower was an incredibly emotional and satisfying experience. It was amazing sober, but I can't wait to play through it high.

Had a brain-popping headache the other night and didn't feel like playing a game at all, but started up Flower's first level just to muck around in for a bit and its so theraputic just flying through that green field. Game remains stunning if only for the incredible rendering of every blade of grass reacting to your movement.

At $5 anyone would be insane to pass it up.

brunoa76

Nintendo Playstation said:
For anyone who wants it, I have taken photos of the window scenes. They're not screengrab quality, but until an official one is implemented, this is as close as I can get. They make great PS3 wallpapers. Each picture is in 1920x1080 resolution.

Thumbnail Preview: http://i41.tinypic.com/34rdegn.jpg

Download "Flower.rar" (8 images, 12341 KB, no password): http://rapidshare.com/files/220657337/Flower.rar

Enjoy :D

There are no more download slots available for free users right now. If you don't want to become a premium member, you might want to try again later.

I must have tried two dozen times :/

mclaren777

I'm hosting this package as a direct download now. Enjoy. :D

http://www.maximum-attack.com/Flower_Wallpapers.zip

2eykpid.jpg

I just started Flower last night, and I can already tell that it's going to be an amazing experience. At first I had a little trouble controlling it with the SIXAXIS, but after a few minutes I got better with it and now I'm flying all over the place.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Those wallpapers are nice, hopefully they'll fit as a background on my PS3. This game really is great, it's probably in my top 10 for the year. I still fire it up every now and then, there's really nothing like it.

bwahhhhh

flower in general reminded me a lot of NiGHTS (original) but without enemies

picking up of the flowers and the music the pick-ups added reminded me of going through rings in NiGHTS, and the entire last level
in the city and the fast pace and busting through the girders and stuff, reminded me SO much of Twin Seeds

the game felt more like NiGHTS to me than the actual sequel to NiGHTS did. loved Flower. i didn't love it the first time i played it (the first level) but the second time, after a restart, i was playing alone at night and that improved the atmosphere incredibly (it's not a game to play when you have friends roommates/friends talking and all the lights on), and it all sank in

Finally got around to playing the game last night... WOW!

I was literally moaning constantly during the first few minutes of playing, because I having an orgasm every second. The visuals, sounds, and controls all blend together so beautifully. It's like going to heaven :lol

I played the first two levels and then switched to Braid, which I had also just downloaded. Another WOW experience. Having these two vastly different and beyond awesome games at the same time, when I haven't gamed AT ALL in months, is so good :D

Flower should be mandatory playing for everyone.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
SecretBonusPoint said:
Had a brain-popping headache the other night and didn't feel like playing a game at all, but started up Flower's first level just to muck around in for a bit and its so theraputic just flying through that green field. Game remains stunning if only for the incredible rendering of every blade of grass reacting to your movement.

At $5 anyone would be insane to pass it up.
Hehe, I had a headache the night I tried Flower for the first time. Before I knew it, I was cured!

Recently played it again and randomly got a couple of missing trophies. So satisfying! I'll go back and try Flow now.

Finally downloaded it and this is by far one of the most beautiful breathtaking games I have ever played.

I may be reading too much into it, but I kind of see the game as a commentary on the current landscape of the industry. The dark city represents all the gritty brown post apocalyptic games overflowing the industry right now while the petal represents the small and colorful indie game trying to bring color back to the soulless world. The telephone poles and broken pylons represent Unreal 3 (which is why destroying them brings color back to that specific area).

I haven't finished it yet, so there might be more stuff I pick up on. Either way, this game is going in my top 10 for 2009.

No, I am not trying to start a flame war about Unreal and/or Epic. It's just my opinion

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
cosmicblizzard said:
Finally downloaded it and this is by far one of the most beautiful breathtaking games I have ever played.

I may be reading too much into it, but I kind of see the game as a commentary on the current landscape of the industry. The dark city represents all the gritty brown post apocalyptic games overflowing the industry right now while the petal represents the small and colorful indie game trying to bring color back to the soulless world. The telephone poles and broken pylons represent Unreal 3 (which is why destroying them brings color back to that specific area).

I haven't finished it yet, so there might be more stuff I pick up on. Either way, this game is going in my top 10 for 2009.

No, I am not trying to start a flame war about Unreal and/or Epic. It's just my opinion
Those actually represent Killzone 2.

kikanny

Wonderful game. I downloaded this during the fall sale. Really really great. The last level was just breathtaking. Best use of the motion controller. Something about this game just made me relaxed and happy. Great graphics, soothing music, fluid controls all contribute to an emotional experience. My favorite PSN game now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
cosmicblizzard said:

Before I say, "I wish there was a non tilt scheme" is there a non tilt control scheme?

kikanny

OuterWorldVoice said:
Before I say, "I wish there was a non tilt scheme" is there a non tilt control scheme?

I don't think so. But the tilt control scheme works so beautifully that I didn't bother to check.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Unfortunately no but it's very easy to use and not really a big deal. I honestly think the game wouldn't be as emotional without the motion controls. Yeah, don't download it if you absolutely hate motion controls and wish they would just disappear from the world in the next 30 seconds, but you'd be missing out.

WEGGLES

OuterWorldVoice said:
No.

But the tilty works perfectly for what they're going for.

I didn't have any issue with it.

ianp622

OuterWorldVoice said:

My friend likes his Wii, but even he said that Flower has the best implementation of motion control he's used.

This was the first game I downloaded when I got my PS3 last week. It's beautiful and all, but I can't seem to get past the first level.

I'm assuming that you have to make every flower in the level 'bloom', but I've flown through dozens of times and can't find anymore, so I just restart and the same thing happens.

What am I doing wrong? :lol

Hero

Got this yesterday out of curiosity and since it was only 4 dollars on eBay due to one seller.

Amazing experience. I don't want to really call it a game, but the presentation, graphics, music and environment are phenomenal. Simply an enriching experience.

peppermints said:
This was the first game I downloaded when I got my PS3 last week. It's beautiful and all, but I can't seem to get past the first level.

I'm assuming that you have to make every flower in the level 'bloom', but I've flown through dozens of times and can't find anymore, so I just restart and the same thing happens.

What am I doing wrong? :lol

You have to bloom a specific group of flowers that'll "bloom" the next section of the level and almost always the camera will pan to the section that opened up.

Can someone explain to me what the whole leaf thing means? I know one of the leaves is supposed to be for finding hidden flowers...

Also, is level 5 supposed to end just seconds before you reach the big petal tornado?

crispyben

Crewnh said:
Can someone explain to me what the whole leaf thing means? I know one of the leaves is supposed to be for finding hidden flowers...

Also, is level 5 supposed to end just seconds before you reach the big petal tornado?
Yes on Level 5. As for the leaves, it's a bit hard to remember, but I think there are three bluish glowing flower hidden in each level. Blooming them all will give you leaves on the potted plants and make them perk up.

Bought it in November last year and played (and finished) it last night. What an amazing experience, I can't really describe what it was that touched me, but the game is absolutely more than the sum of its parts. Especially loved the music by the way.

Fantastic philosophical/emotional experience.

jiggle

Crewnh said:

each level has 3 hidden blue flowers
each one u find gives u a leaf

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I finished all the levels. Nothin happened. I'm guessing I forgot leaves or something?

Final level was a blast though

crispyben

Silicon Knight said:
I'm having some real problems with my last trophy,
the one you get for awakening the city

Any tips?
If I remember right, you need to go everywhere in the city, brighten every corner of it, which means going out of your way in some areas, as there's no flower to bloom.

leroidys

I just need to get the
approach the city without getting hurt
trophy and am getting pretty frustrated. Any tips on the last part with the stuff falling?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
leroidys said:
I just need to get the
approach the city without getting hurt
trophy and am getting pretty frustrated. Any tips on the last part with the stuff falling?
Hold up and try to stay near the top going really slowly.

Maybe it was top left? There was a bit of discussion earlier in the thread about it.

crispyben

Hazaro said:
Hold up and try to stay near the top going really slowly.

Maybe it was top left? There was a bit of discussion earlier in the thread about it.
I think that's how I did it, might take a few tries though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OuterWorldVoice said:
I wasn't kidding. The control scheme works beautifully, I'd just like the option. "Gas" and a stick.
There's no analog stick control option but you can use R2 for 'gas'. It actually gives you more gradual speed control which is useful on one of the levels.

Prothero

Neo Member
Rez said:
Just a random thought, but am I the only one who, upon replaying the game, prefers to play the first three levels? There's something so relaxing about them.

Agreed. I like the first level with the green grass and sunlight -- it's simple and calming.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lord Error said:
There's no analog stick control option but you can use R2 for 'gas'. It actually gives you more gradual speed control which is useful on one of the levels.
Well the buttons are analog too right?

I played mostly one handed with R2 though.

OnPoint

Flower would have been my GotY for 2009 if I had played it before this month.

God damn it, what a moving experience.

Any word on the soundtrack getting a release?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
OuterWorldVoice said:
I wasn't kidding. The control scheme works beautifully, I'd just like the option. "Gas" and a stick.

And I suppose you want a pistil with that flower too, eh? ;)

Artex

Banned
It was pretty sweet, but I always had some trouble with the controls. I tended to overturn too often. That kinda held it back for me from being great to just good.

I bought this last night due to NeoGAF convincing me it was awesome.

Sadly it wasn't the case for me.

Perhaps it was because I had a few drinks in me and only played for about ten minutes, but I just didn't like it.

I will try it again after work and give it another shot.

Top Bottom