• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of The Order 1886 wasn't ready for VGX

I'd imagine that these kinds of talks stretch months, not weeks.

The footage wasn't ready? But, if they had a slot, they must've expected it to be ready. In some fashion. And, if it's a matter of "We can wait for it to be really stellar", then I draw the conclusion that a 2014 release might not be carved into stone. From extrapolations, yes, but it's a heck of an opportunity to just miss a deadline for.
Where did he say they had a slot though?

megalowho

Hmm ... ?

I think some level of concern is rational, when a studio gets a chance to show their first 'big' project to the world, and pull away last minute. No, of course the game isn't canceled (
Is it?
), but it does raise questions. Is it a case of "We're not launching in 2014, so it doesn't matter if we miss this deadline?" or just simply a "Oops, we forgot to cut a trailer".
I don't care about the why, honestly. Don't know anyone that was expecting anything from VGX in the real world either. When a developer chooses to focus on development over marketing, they deserve better than snark and baseless speculation.

NeoROCK

Sony needs to show a hell of a lot of stuff in the coming months, Yoshida and co. state how many games are in development (and I believe them), but they need to start showing more stuff.

Already the Order 1886 has a whiff of, at worst, The Last Guardian, something we may never see, or best case scenario, a Gran Turismo, a game that's in development for years, and can't possibly meet expectations.

All very dissappointing from Ready at Dawn.

as much as we all like Yoshida, I have to say he makes a lot of blunders.

GT5 delay fiasco, The Last Guardian fiasco, GT6 releasing on PS3 instead of PS4, etc etc etc.

Marvel

could never
tumblr_milq16NwQg1rbfevao1_250_zps8e80f0cc.gif

This game will be rushed/short or slipped to 2015. I hope it slips, better a game worthy of the RaD at dawn than a game that underwhelms.

Same here. This game is supposed to help fill my Gears void. I figured it would get pushed to 2015 anyway so if that's what it takes to get it right then so be it.

spikex

Banned
Second game not ready for the show heh? At this rate the 3 hours will be too much... I mean, you can have an entire hour dedicated to Cranky Kong, now can you? :p

But overall, it's good NOT to show your stuff if isn't ready. Rushing, even for trailer/footage, is really counter-productive, and can even be hurtful.

What is the first game that isnt ready for the show?

Also you are right. Showing stuff that isnt ready can be even worse than not showing footage at all.

KMS

I wouldn't ever expect footage till 6 months before release from a game that was approved without a vertical slice. The game is almost a year away from being done and people are getting all upset and disappointed that they don't have game play footage yet is kinda crazy. Anything they could of put together would be a poor representation of the final product as is since it's such a strong story driven game it would have to more resemble a trailer and incorporate different plot points to get a positive response. Demos and trailers can do as much harm as good so it's a huge risk to be putting out stuff that is so far from being done.

I thought it was implied. These kinds of things are planned. You don't just send in a trailer for your game the week before, and hope they show it. And you need a segment available for it to be shown.
Implied by who? There was absolutely nothing to indicate RAD had anything planned for VGX....

Hoo-doo

Banned
I thought it was implied. These kinds of things are planned. You don't just send in a trailer for your game the week before, and hope they show it. And you need a segment available for it to be shown.

You are extrapolating a fuckton over a single-line tweet. Maybe RAD declined months ago? How would you know?

Racer1977

Of course, rushing everything to release and making more Knacks is more preferable.
Wait what

Sony are already on the backfoot with the lack of announced AAA titles, now two of the few announced games, Driveclub and The Order 1886, are MIA, and no one at Sony seems particularly concerned about the whole episode.

We buy these consoles to play new, exciting games, with so much of their best stuff released on PS3, even as late as TODAY with GT6, and a barren release list going forward, it's time to start showing the goods.

Harlequin

I'd imagine that these kinds of talks stretch months, not weeks.

The footage wasn't ready? But, if they had a slot, they must've expected it to be ready. In some fashion. And, if it's a matter of "We can wait for it to be really stellar", then I draw the conclusion that a 2014 release might not be carved into stone. From extrapolations, yes, but it's a heck of an opportunity to just miss a deadline for.

They probably have been in talks about this for some time, yes. But we don't know what those talks looked like. It might've simply been "We'll try to get something done till then but we're not sure if we'll be able to make it." from the beginning.

Good to know so many people know what the development cycle and status of The Order 1886 is.

I'd rather get a good solid game demo reel than a rushed trailer or prerendered footage that would just cause more controversy and doubt for no reason.

Alienous

You are extrapolating a fuckton over a single-line tweet. Maybe RAD declined months ago? How would you know?

That's fair. I'm just saying they must have declined. And a game releasing in 2014 might want to make a showing at the VGX a priority, when given the opportunity. Might. It's all speculation. That's what the thread is for, not just to go "Oh, bummer".

Implied by who? There was absolutely nothing to indicate RAD had anything planned for VGX....

"@geoffkeighley: @Aussie_Legend We were hoping to show you The Order but the footage isn't ready."

"the footage isn't ready" seems to imply that there was some footage that was anticipated to be ready. The only way that could be the case is if RAD had a 'pre-agreement'. Even if it was "Yeah, we might have something ready".

But you seem to be saying that Geoff just asked them for footage out of the blue.

Very disappointing. Big loss for Sony. Would have been a great opportunity to show case one of their main titles for the year.

On the other hand, it might get a bit lost among the many games which will be shown at VGX. Giving it its own exclusive demo might be better for getting it noticed in the short term.

I guess the game will drop off the face of the earth like other PlayStation exclusives have.

Uh, examples please? Are you suggesting it won't be finished, or it will get a half-arsed quiet release with no marketing?

"@geoffkeighley: @Aussie_Legend We were hoping to show you The Order but the footage isn't ready."

"the footage isn't ready" seems to imply that there was some footage that was anticipated to be ready. The only way that could be the case is if RAD had a 'pre-agreement'. Even if it was "Yeah, we might have something ready".

But you seem to be saying that Geoff just asked them for footage out of the blue.
RAD simply could have not had footage it felt comfortable putting together for a public appearance. I still see nothing in the tweet that implies they had something ready, were about to show it, and pulled out. Like hoo-doo said, Geoff could have got in touch with them months ago and they declined then and there.

And I don't think they need VGX to make a huge splash. They'll get a shit ton of attention regardless of whether they show it at VGX or decide to debut it on their own.

GameSeeker

It's a fact that Ready at Dawn is one of the smaller studios trying to do a AAA-title. Last number I recall was ~70 employees. That's not a lot in an age when Ubisoft brags about using 1000+ people for Assasin's Creed or Watchdogs.

RaD has a potential hit with The Order: 1886, but you only get one chance at making a first impression. RaD needs to take as much time as needed to deliver an excellent game and if that means a 2015 release date, so be it.

Sony did a smart move delaying both Infamous: Second Son and DriveClub. Both games will be better with the additional development time. A similar principle applies here. I'm looking forward to The Order: 1886, but it needs to "cook" long enough so that first bite is scrumptious.

Jawmuncher

Shame.
Since some new footage is what I need to board this train.
What was shown at E3 didn't do much in hyping me.

NeoROCK

Sony are already on the backfoot with the lack of announced AAA titles, now two of the few announced games, Driveclub and The Order 1886, are MIA, and no one at Sony seems particularly concerned about the whole episode.

We buy these consoles to play new, exciting games, with so much of their best stuff released on PS3, even as late as TODAY with GT6, and a barren release list going forward, it's time to start showing the goods.

E3 came and went - they only showed The Order 1886

Gamescom came and went - they only showed us indies

PS4 Launch party came and went - they showed a very small Uncharted teaser that was basically just confirmation of "yes we are working on another Uncharted". No release date, No trailer, No gameplay, nothing.

Now VGX is here.... and it seems like they have nothing to show once again.

Like you said, no one at Sony seems particularly concerned. They're doing a bad job with reveals if you ask me. With all those 1st party studios and the amount of time some of them have had to work on their new games, there must be something to show.

What are they waiting for? E3? Thats another 7 months away.

iceatcs

They can't show the cutscene trailer again, therefore gameplay not ready yet. Shame.

Sound like VGX will show the gameplay if there is not new announcement title. So be prepare for non-gameplay trailer from any new titles.

Alienous

RAD simply could have not had footage it felt comfortable putting together for a public appearance. I still see nothing in the tweet that implies they had something ready, were about to show it, and pulled out. Like hoo-doo said, Geoff could have got in touch with them months ago and they declined then and there.

And I don't think they need VGX to make a huge splash. They'll get a shit ton of attention regardless of whether they show it at VGX or decide to debut it on their own.

Ok.

I just think it's pretty clear that it wasn't a case of being denied up front. "the game wasn't ready" or "but we were declined" would make more sense. "the footage wasn't ready" indicates that there was footage they expected to be ready.

And they don't need VGX, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't want it. Or that it wouldn't be useful.

I think this, along with other factors, implies that this isn't expected to be a 2014 release. On its own it means little, but the 'evidence' has begun to pile up.

Anyway, you disagree with me, and I understand where you are coming from. I agree to disagree.

daveo42

Banned

The big issue here is that they are looking at a Fall 2014 release and have yet to show anything substantial to anyone but the press at this point. I'm sure the game looks fantastic, but they are hamstringing any hype for it, as we really haven't seen much of anything since February. That fact also doesn't raise much confidence that the game will be able to deliver what we've been told come release.

The other issue is that Game Trailers (and Spike) have hyped up their shows and most recent ones have failed to really deliver anything substantial. VGX is their first step in creating a Fall/Winter E3 press conference with big reveals and such, but I don't see them delivering all that much this year. We might get another 'Phantom Pain', but I'm starting to doubt their ability to deliver anything worth watching.

Ok.

I just think it's pretty clear that it wasn't a case of being denied up front. "the game wasn't ready" or "but we were declined" would make more sense. "the footage wasn't ready" indicates that there was footage they expected to be ready.

And they don't need VGX, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't want it. Or that it wouldn't be useful.

I think this, along with other factors, implies that this isn't expected to be a 2014 release. On its own it means little, but the 'evidence' has begun to pile up.

Anyway, you disagree with me, and I understand where you are coming from. I agree to disagree.
No biggie dude, we can agree to disagree. I just think people are jumping to conclusions way too fast here.

I talked to CDPR recently asking why we haven't seen gameplay of The Witcher 3 yet and they told me they "weren't ready" to show it to the public yet, this after they showed a behind closed-doors demo to the press just like The Order. We know Witcher's coming next year as well. It's pretty typical of devs to do this :)

We'll see though.

Don't put anything out that you aren't willing for people to critique and make judgements on. If it "isn't representative of the final product" then why show it? Alpha footage, 35%, still got months of development mean nothing. Show what you have when you are ready for people to look at it.

dorkimoe

Called it along time ago. This game isn't going to be ready and I would be shocked if it even comes out. It just looked too good to be true. And it was nothing but a CGi video

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony better show Uncharted and that SSM scifi game in that case. Hopefully they are not delussional enough to think that showing a new Drive Club and Infamous trailer is enough. Those games look pretty cool, but we have seen it already.

I have faith in this game, and I have a feeling it'll be great. I want nothing more than to see RAD succeed. I'm going to be honest and say that I am a little disappointed to see there won't be any gameplay footage shown, but I'm still hyped.

Top Bottom