• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball Thread 2011/2012 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

Messi said:
I honestly don't believe that. sure they would score alot less goals, sure they would win less but winning fuck all? not a chance. messi is not the only world class player on that team. some think xavi is almost as important, i tend to agree. without xavi, messi looks alot more human.

You only have to see the difference in big games when he isn't there. He literally causes defenders to shit their pants before the match even starts.

Xavi is nice and all that jazz for those who want to play football critic but in the end the little Argentinian midget is fucking godlike.

PaulLFC

Regulus Tera said:
This thread is way past the limit. And the season hasn't even started in some leagues!
Do we need an OT2 then? Didn't realise there was a limit. Assume I just copy the OT from here into a new thread and PM a mod to sticky it?

Bungieware said:
Anyone else been following the whole Piers Morgan vs Michael Owen thing?
Has been going for ages, is pretty funny between them. Morgan v Frimpong was quite funny the other day before they became best friends!

Last year Nasri said this about Man City:
It's unfair because we have more merit as a club than those who have built their teams with millions.
Arsenal have brought in young footballers, who have come here to play a certain kind of football and who have developed
Can only think of around 180,000 reasons why he might have changed his views.

Just watched highlights of the barcelona napoli match recently and it reminded me that Fabregas has played 2 matches for barcelona and has won 2 trophys. If barcelona win on Friday he would have won 3 trophys in as many games lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PaulLFC said:
Do we need an OT2 then? Didn't realise there was a limit. Assume I just copy the OT from here into a new thread and PM a mod to sticky it?

Twenty-thousand posts is the limit for most threads, but I don't know if it's the same for SportsGAF.

avaya

Messi said:
lol, keep pretending xavi hasn't grown into a top class player. I can not be arsed pulling out his stats..

Xavi was a grown man for most of the past decade. Barcelona only became the ubermensch when Messi got his shit together. People talking about Xavi are trying to compensate since it is so utterly obvious that Messi is fucking leagues beyond any player on the planet and Barcelona fans will want to big up Xavi since they don't want others to call them a one man team.

Doesn't mean to say Xavi isn't important, but it's obvious Barca would be hurt worse without Messi.

Messi

omgkitty said:
It's okay...you have the greatest player in the world on your team now :)

well obviously xavi will just have to get used to the bench, now that we have a true world class midfielder in fabregas :p

I wonder how much himself above watches barca, because the difference between a barca without xavi and with is night and day. xavi is a large part of why messi is so godlike.

avaya said:
Lol no. Except he was in the team, for many years. They did win fuck all.
The key to Barcelona's game is suffocating the opposition of possession and to do that you need a deep lying playmaker that distributes the ball evenly across the opposition half. If you ever see some passing stats for Barcelona the majority of their passing is between three players, Iniesta, Messi and Xavi but the distribution of Messi's and Iniesta's passing is skewed towards Xavi. He sets the tempo of Barca's play and he is key to them retaining possession, it is no surprise that a midfield of Xavi and Xabi Alonso are able to do the same thing for Spain as well. Xavi's average position is almost always very close to Busquets, he keeps the rhythm of Barcelona's play and without him they would struggle to play their famous style.

JWong

Banned
SunhiLegend said:
Just watched highlights of the barcelona napoli match recently and it reminded me that Fabregas has played 2 matches for barcelona and has won 2 trophys. If barcelona win on Friday he would have won 3 trophys in as many games lol
What match is that?

And is that as many trophies Arsenal has in the past 10 years?

avaya

Messi said:
well obviously xavi will just have to get used to the bench, now that we have a true world class midfielder in fabregas :p

I wonder how much himself above watches barca, because the difference between a barca without xavi and with is night and day. xavi is a large part of why messi is so godlike.

I have been watching Barca since Cruyff was coach. No one is scared of Barcelona when Messi is not playing.

elseanio

WJD said:
Signed it last week but had no idea it reached 100,000! What does it mean in the grand scheme of things? How likely is it that a positive decision might actually be made?

I'm sure it's served its purpose already. The documents will be reviewed by the panel set up 2 years ago, and then the families will decide on what gets made public.

nemesun

PaulLFC said:
Limit is 30k not 20k.

Edit:
Evilore said:
've set the character limit to 24,000 (including spaces) to avoid the post vanishing that occurs around the 25,000 mark. Keep this in mind if you're creating a long official thread or long post in general, and just split it into multiple posts if you hit the cap.
I stand corrected. So yeah Paul just PM a mod when we're couple of hundred off the limit.

Edit: wait, that's just a character limit. 30k is a total post limit.

Messi

avaya said:
Xavi was a grown man for most of the past decade. Barcelona only became the ubermensch when Messi got his shit together. People talking about Xavi are trying to compensate since it is so utterly obvious that Messi is fucking leagues beyond any player on the planet and Barcelona fans will want to big up Xavi since they don't want others to call them a one man team.

Doesn't mean to say Xavi isn't important, but it's obvious Barca would be hurt worse without Messi.

explain why messi cant do shit for argentina then? no matter how hard he tries?

it also does not matter if xavi was a grown man, over the past few years he has become a godlike passer and controller of the barca midfield. i am not saying he is better than messi, he is not and messi is the thing that helps barca most. but to act like barca are crap without messi is just stupid.

avaya

Messi said:

it also does not matter if xavi was a grown man, over the past few years he has become a godlike passer and controller of the barca midfield. i am not saying he is better than messi, he is not and messi is the thing that helps barca most. but to act like barca are crap without messi is just stupid.

He still needs good team mates.

I think Real are more than 50:50 to beat Barca without Messi. Same for Man Utd and Chelsea.

Messi said:

Watching the Rome Champion's League final confirms that Barcelona are not a one man team, Messi apart form his goal was quiet for most of the match. United coped reasonably well when he drifted into the centre as he usually does. Even Xavi didn't play his best as confirmed by how close the possession statistic was, our midfield being unable to cope with Iniesta's movement defeated us that day.

Messi

Champions league final 2011: 148 - Passes that Spanish midfielder Xavi completed during the game, a high for the Champions League this season. He misplaced only seven, giving him a completion rate of 95%.

In South Africa, his statistics clearly showed how great a player he is. He has made the highest number of passes in the FIFA World Cup 2010 and no other player even came close to him. Barcelona's style of passing was clear when Spain played the amazing "possession" football. After Xavi, there were 2 other Barcelona men who played the most passes in the FIFA World Cup 2010. They were Sergio Busquets and Gerrard Pique, who combined amazingly at the back and did not let their opponents score. Sergio Busquets played 555 passes and was able to complete 490 while Gerrard Pique played 506 passes and completed 429.

On the other hand, the "king of passing," Xavi Hernandez managed to impress everyone when the stats were revealed. He was able to play 669 passes, which is the highest number of passes played in the FIFA World Cup 2010 and he actually completed 544 from them. The amount of passes that he completed actually reaches the amount of passes that his team mate, Busquets, played. These statistics put him on the top of the ranking for the tournament.

you dont think any of that affects messi?

JWong said:
What match is that?

And is that as many trophies Arsenal has in the past 10 years?

Its only that as people are counting pointless trophies like the 'Gamper' Trophy given out after the Barcelona v Napoli Friendly the other night.

If your including pointless trophies then Cesc won 1 Community Shields, 3 Emirates Cups and 3 Amsterdam Tournaments while at Arsenal as well as the FA Cup.

Messi

Baconsarnie said:
Its only that as people are counting pointless trophies like the 'Gamper' Trophy given out after the Barcelona v Napoli Friendly the other night.

If your including pointless trophies then Cesc won 1 Community Shields, 3 Emirates Cups and 3 Amsterdam Tournaments while at Arsenal as well as the FA Cup.

People are saying it to wind up arsenal fans for some reason, and it works. same will happen if barca beat porto.

avaya

anonnumber6 said:
Watching the Rome Champion's League final confirms that Barcelona are not a one man team, Messi apart form his goal was quiet for most of the match. United coped reasonably well when he drifted into the centre as he usually does. Even Xavi didn't play his best as confirmed by how close the possession statistic was, our midfield being unable to cope with Iniesta's movement defeated us that day.

Eto'o making a fool of Vidic and getting the early goal was what defeated you that day since you were immediately fucked before you had a chance to get going. Your entire game hinged on them not scoring first

Also Messi being quiet is an amusing thing to say, since he is always taking men away from the ball even when he doesn't have it. He still scored.

K1LLER7

Messi said:
Champions league final 2011: 148 - Passes that Spanish midfielder Xavi completed during the game, a high for the Champions League this season. He misplaced only seven, giving him a completion rate of 95%.

In South Africa, his statistics clearly showed how great a player he is. He has made the highest number of passes in the FIFA World Cup 2010 and no other player even came close to him. Barcelona's style of passing was clear when Spain played the amazing "possession" football. After Xavi, there were 2 other Barcelona men who played the most passes in the FIFA World Cup 2010. They were Sergio Busquets and Gerrard Pique, who combined amazingly at the back and did not let their opponents score. Sergio Busquets played 555 passes and was able to complete 490 while Gerrard Pique played 506 passes and completed 429.

On the other hand, the "king of passing," Xavi Hernandez managed to impress everyone when the stats were revealed. He was able to play 669 passes, which is the highest number of passes played in the FIFA World Cup 2010 and he actually completed 544 from them. The amount of passes that he completed actually reaches the amount of passes that his team mate, Busquets, played. These statistics put him on the top of the ranking for the tournament.

you dont think any of that affects messi?
He is the key player to all of this ;)

Messi

avaya said:
Eto'o making a fool of Vidic and getting the early goal was what defeated you that day since you were immediately fucked before you had a chance to get going. You're entire game hinged on them not scoring first.

first 15-20 mins they were all over barca, they were well and truly going.

Fady K

avaya said:
Lol no. Except he was in the team, for many years. They did win fuck all.

Disagreed. This argument of X succeeds because of Y is way too generalized and can fit for any club.

MPW said:
this gala team is awesome, will be turkish champs

WTF is wrong with this ref?

3 red cards to gs players for what? bs

3 red cards? :S :S :S

K1LLER7

Messi said:
first 15-20 mins they were all over barca, they were well and truly going.
most teams look to score first and then defend/counter the rest of the match. barca always start of slow. Same thing happened in the last CL final. Barca score first and it makes it easier to open the opposing team.

avaya

Messi said:
they were, the same as this past seasons game. they started strong. as was said above, we didnt win in 2009 based solely on messi.

No Iniesta, who strangely looks like he has never been exposed to the sun despite living in Barcelona, was the true reason for your CL success that year.

Fady K said:
Disagreed. This argument of X succeeds because of Y is way too generalized and can fit for any club.

Chelsea succeeds because of Putin threatening to seize Roman's assets.

Fry

Arsenal are through! The only english side I wouldn't bother winning it.

I'm feeling Arsene will make a big signing tomorrow.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I might get a fabregas away kit, saw the kit the other day in person and it looks very nice

Love the fact that the match highlights are on less then an hour after full time. Frimpong had a good first half and was unlucky to be subbed. Song seemed to think he was Fabregas and didn't give him much help. Gervinho had a good game an should get into double figures easily for assists, was skinning the wingbacks for fun tonight.

avaya said:
Eto'o making a fool of Vidic and getting the early goal was what defeated you that day since you were immediately fucked before you had a chance to get going. Your entire game hinged on them not scoring first

Also Messi being quiet is an amusing thing to say, since he is always taking men away from the ball even when he doesn't have it. He still scored.
Who provided the pass to Eto'o?...Iniesta

Individual mistakes cost us for the two goals but our midfield couldn't cope with Iniesta in that match and it was only a matter of time before they scored. Fair point about Messi having to be marked by three players, the plan for Messi in Rome seemed to be to surround him with three players as soon as he drifted into the centre. But I don't think the space opened up by that is as important as it was for United 06-09 when Ronaldo was marked by three players, Barcelona don't counter-attack and their movement off the ball plays a part in how they engineer so much space.

Fady K

Messi said:
Honestly, busi is a terrible diver/actor, but when he is actually playing he is a very capable midfielder. just wish he would stop diving.

Same here man. His diving blinds people to his other qualities unfortunately.

avaya said:
No Iniesta, who strangely looks like he has never been exposed to the sun despite living in Barcelona, was the true reason for your CL success that year.

Chelsea succeeds because of Putin threatening to seize Roman's assets.

Barca's successful because they work as a team.

Messi

avaya said:
No Iniesta, who strangely looks like he has never been exposed to the sun despite living in Barcelona.

foto_463518_CAS.jpg

Iniesta: It’s a really nasty and serious thing…and I don’t mean the wax statues they have done of me and Villa (which are nasty too) but this whole doping issue.

Kweh

I think it's best to just get Sunday over with and hope at best to get a draw at OT. Have the international break, and then our season starts after that!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PaulLFC said:
Yep. Just start a new thread, copy and paste the OP and maybe add something witty/recent/relevant to the title ("Arsene knows best?"?) along with |OT2|. Eventually a mod will notice, lock this one and switch it around.

Messi said:
People are saying it to wind up arsenal fans for some reason, and it works. same will happen if barca beat porto.
I was only commenting on Fabregas finishing every match with a trophy presentation. No disrespect to Arsenal fans, i'm very much a fan of the Arsenal team and playing philosophy.

Messi

Sage00 said:
Yep. Just start a new thread, copy and paste the OP and maybe add something witty/recent/relevant to the title ("Arsene knows best?"?) along with |OT2|. Eventually a mod will notice, lock this one and switch it around.

Gunnersarus knows best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom