• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Chelsea playing really poorly.

Only three Englishman on the field, two awful, one mediocre. Ugh :(

Want to pay my respects to Tom Finney again as his death is seemingly glossed over in this thread bar 1 or 2. One of the greatest of all time and the best English player there has been in my opinion, just slightly above the likes of Charlton, Moore and Greaves. It doesn't look like we will be getting anyone close to his class any time soon, especially looking at this game. I remember Mourinho talking out of his arse about loving English football and wanting to protect it, has never bothered with English youth. Always forced them out. One our greatest youth talents I have seen in McEachran going through the usual loaning out and benching to death until all his talent shrivels up. City are investing in their academy but so did Chelsea and yet to see them bother with bringing their youth on, so not expecting much. Maybe FFP will help.

I don't think I've ever seen anything of Finney playing to be honest, but I respect his achievements enough to know he was a great player.

I think with the top clubs, you won't see much commitment to British youth at all really, especially when Wenger goes and Moyes loses his job and forces us to go looking elsewhere. Pochettino has done a wonderful job of committing to the youth at Southampton but that's due to circumstance; if he had the players Chelsea had I don't think he'd be turning to McEachran.

Honestly think James Millner gets shit on way too much. Decent footballer.

Sheer idiocy from David Luiz.

I dunno why Ashley Cole is in Mou's doghouse, but there's no way he could be worse than this.

Ashley has had some shameful performances this season and Azpilicueta has been brilliant.

Wilbur

Banned
Maybe Mou should look at moving Ivanovic inside and playing Azpi as a right back? Can't remember how Ivan plays when he's in the centre.

I would follow Augsburg if I was choosing a club this season, but I don't think it will last that much for them, once the coach leaves there it goes the whole project to the trash

I'd imagine Weinzierl won't leave that soon. He's still ridiculously young for a coach, Augsburg backed him up when the team struggled in the beginning and he's got a contract until 2017. Beside that, which bigger club would realistically want a new coach in the next year? Schlacke? loool, he'd be mad to go there.

The problem I see for them is that they're not able to pay great wages. And thus, players joining like any other club in the league will be a step up financially.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd imagine Weinzierl won't leave that soon. He's still ridiculously young for a coach, Augsburg backed him up when the team struggled in the beginning and he's got a contract until 2017. Beside that, which bigger club would realistically want a new coach in the next year? Schlacke? loool, he'd be mad to go there.

The problem I see for them is that they're not able to pay great wages. And thus, players joining like any other club in the league will be a step up financially.

I read an article on Thomas Tuchel being the real deal, but haven't seen you guys praise Mainz as much as Augsburg this season. Any reason for that? Just curious, I read this brief little thing ahah

Linius

sorry dortmund...we need points...so next week you will have to lose...thanks

NUR DER HSV!

hsv-logo-neu.jpg

i need a new team...any suggestions? must be in the bundesliga and definitely not bayern, dortmund, bremen....i'm thinking about gladbach

Schalke is the only right choice. Don't listen to these Dortmund peasants, all they'll tell you is lies.

Maybe Mou should look at moving Ivanovic inside and playing Azpi as a right back? Can't remember how Ivan plays when he's in the centre.

I'm not sure that would make it much better. Ivan is also quite prone to fuck ups in the center and he's also quite important when going forward. I'm happy enough with Ashley on the bench and Luiz in the middle in the lack of better, just need to get Terry back again soon. The problem is the midfield getting stressed way too easily and just booting it forward to Eto'o who then has to try and out muscle that fat headed twat Kompany. Ramires and Mikel needs to get out.

English players are less of a problem imo than English managers. They're fucking terrible compared to the top level managers across the world. Not a single English manager in the top 20, probably more.

We look a bit tired, not really got going. Hazard shown he's got it in him but a lack of support not help.

Also, Rami is pretty ineffective when played out of position and Mikel is offering fuck all, again, as usual.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm not sure that would make it much better. Ivan is also quite prone to fuck ups in the center and he's also quite important when going forward. I'm happy enough with Ashley on the bench and Luiz in the middle in the lack of better, just need to get Terry back again soon. The problem is the midfield getting stressed way too easily and just booting it forward to Eto'o who then has to try and out muscle that fat headed twat Kompany. Ramires and Mikel needs to get out.

Yeah, I can't remember seeing him in the middle much but I'd assume there's a reason for that considering his physical presence alone should make him a candidate.

Ramires is such an odd player, he's so fucking stupid.

English players are less of a problem imo than English managers. They're fucking terrible compared to the top level managers across the world. Not a single English manager in the top 20, probably more.

That's true, all our good British managers aren't English :lol. Thinking about it, Pardew is probably our best coach and that doesn't really bode well for English fucking football.

I read an article on Thomas Tuchel being the real deal, but haven't seen you guys praise Mainz as much as Augsburg this season. Any reason for that? Just curious, I read this brief little thing ahah

Tuchel is great, he's a bit of a nutcase at times and that's in a rather quiet media environment in Mainz. It's possible that he completely cracks and loses it at a bigger club.

Who even is the best English manager at the moment?

Pardew/Pulis probably :s

At this precise moment in time, its Pulis.

Allardyce, Pulis, Pardew

They're the elite English managers aside from Roy fucking Hodgson. Think of that. The word elite being used in conjuction with that lot, without being facetious. Says it all.

Wilbur

Banned
Who even is the best English manager at the moment?

I think Pardew is good even if he's an utter prick. Redknapp is good but overrated by the media. There's a few good young ones around, McClaren is good too.

But like I said, all our good ones are Scottish and...

no thats it

CNB1W6d.png

Pulis is Welsh you racist Hitch

Yen

I think with the top clubs, you won't see much commitment to British youth at all really, especially when Wenger goes and Moyes loses his job and forces us to go looking elsewhere. Pochettino has done a wonderful job of committing to the youth at Southampton but that's due to circumstance; if he had the players Chelsea had I don't think he'd be turning to McEachran.
Brendanwink.gif

I imagine Chelsea's plans for youth will be to acquire as many great prospects as they can - Bamford etc - loan them out, then sell then for FFP with buy-back clauses in case they come through. There will never be a player that breaks into the Chelsea first team straight from the youth sides. A "homegrown" player may well be 20 at least before they get a chance at Chelsea.

L1NETT

Pulis is welsh

And allardyce/Pardew?

Holy fuck no, or I hope not.

Give me Arry or even Clark/Howe/Hughton over those hacks.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh yeah, forgot about Allardyce. Good man manager and motivator, but clearly not a great tactician. Pardew is probably the best when it comes to all round package, but that's really quite embarrassing.

Tuchel is great, he's a bit of a nutcase at times and that's in a rather quiet media environment in Mainz. It's possible that he completely cracks and loses it at a bigger club.

Ah cool; it was a Honigstein article I think, was interesting.

TeddyBoy

Only three Englishman on the field, two awful, one mediocre. Ugh :(

Want to pay my respects to Tom Finney again as his death is seemingly glossed over in this thread bar 1 or 2. One of the greatest of all time and the best English player there has been in my opinion, just slightly above the likes of Charlton, Moore and Greaves.

There's a big lack of British players on the field, it's a shame but I don't see it changing anytime soon. United traditionally always had a lot of British players but with them faltering now I'm not totally sure who is going to pick up the slack.

I never really knew about Tom Finney until I moved to Preston. There are so many roads and university buildings named after him it's been quite eye opening how isn't talked about that much. I think ultimately playing for only Preston North End hurt his recognition and exposure.

Wilbur

Banned
There's a big lack of British players on the field, it's a shame but I don't see it changing anytime soon. United traditionally always had a lot of British players but with them faltering now I'm not totally sure who is going to pick up the slack.

I never really knew about Tom Finney until I moved to Preston. There are so many roads and university buildings named after him it's been quite eye opening how isn't talked about that much. I think ultimately playing for only Preston North End hurt his recognition and exposure.

Well we still have Rio, Clevgod, Smalling, Jones, Carrick, Rooney, Young and Welbeck, with British players like Giggs, Evans and Fletcher too.

Marc

Is young player of the year elect, Hazard, playing today?

Daniel%2BSturridge%2BLiverpool%2Bv%2BSwansea%2BCity%2Bx5tIIOiTU79l.jpg

:)

Chelsea playing really poorly.

I don't think I've ever seen anything of Finney playing to be honest, but I respect his achievements enough to know he was a great player.

If you get a chance, try reading his autobiography, although he is really modest so plays a lot of it down whereas others autobiographys like Moore and such put him up there as the best.

Agreed, the managers live in fear, although on the flip side of that they end up getting sacked anyway so what difference does it make. That is why I love what Rodgers is doing, ok his hand is being forced to an extent but he does come from a youth team mentality. He likes to bring youth through. And the rewards are even greater as people like Sturridge and Sterling have tripled in value this season, at least. Wenger doesn't care about English youth despite managing an English club, as he says he doesn't look at passports. Moyes is a prime example of how mishandled English youth are. Cleverley is clearly shit, drop him and bring in another prospect. Powell is an outstanding youth talent and despite playing in a massacre league has done well. He has skill and flair which English players can't have so it gets coached out of them, there is no faith in their ability to play with the ball. Because at that age you make mistakes, even the best like Messi made mistakes but were given time. Same with Morrison at united, loads of ability, shit attitude I would agree but that can be coached out of players. Look how shit Balotelli's attitude is, yet was given all the time in the world to succeed at city. Whereas someone like Adam Johnson didn't 'track back enough' so was bench fodder.

Yeah, it seems like it wwill only get worse but I have some small hope the FFP rules will force clubs to look at their youth a bit more. Plus another Hodgson epic failure will force the FA's hand a little. The givernment are starting to get involved and make threats so who knows.

King_Moc

Banned

Liverpool have Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, Flanagan, Johnson, Sterling and Kelly. So that's pretty good, at least. About half the first choice team is English.

TeddyBoy

Well we still have Rio, Clevgod, Smalling, Jones, Carrick, Rooney, Young and Welbeck, with British players like Giggs, Evans and Fletcher too.

I meant you weren't playing as well as you have been in previous seasons, not that you don't have lots of British players :p

Liverpool have Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge, Flanagan, Johnson, Sterling and Kelly. So that's pretty good, at least. About half the first choice team is English.

I'm not quite ready to say Liverpool will pick up the slack yet, once the summer transfer window is closed we'll have a clearer picture of who's part of Brendan's grand plan and not just here temporarily (I'm pretty sure Kelly's dead now :'( )

Wilbur

Banned

I love United having an English core, even if we could do better if we replaced some of the players with foreigners. Makes it feel like an English club still when the majority are from our country. It's always sad for me when I think the likely league winners are going to just have Hart as a starting Englishman.

Arsenal have stepped it up in the last few years after seasons of no British players; Gibbs, Wilshere, Walcott, Ox and Ramsey all part of their team, four of them starters.

Do Liverpool have room in the squad to give Will Hughes enough gametime to develop?

I guess we plan to buy him, and loan him to a midtable team or lower who need CM reinforcements

irwCTgj8oeuxe.png

So, Klopp hasn't trained corners with our team for god-knows-how-long, then he trains them in January and we score 3 goals from corners in 5 games. And look overall much more dangerous with corners.

Makes you wonder why we didn't just train that shit earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom