• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Yea, there's something about premier league football that turns grown men into savages. I always find it funny when you see middle aged men in the crowd making the wanker hand signal at 20 year old footballers, even funnier when their child is sat right next to them.

True. The above is weak ass satire, but being semi-serious for a minute some football fans are just outright wankers.

I find it difficult to hate City or feel anything about them. To me they are a big pile of cash, a kind of neutral abstract thing.

When they won the title in 2014, I'm not sure if anyone outside of their fans really cared that much that they won it. To me, people remember it for Gerrard and Liverpool not winning and the narrative seems to be between Chelsea and Liverpool.

I guess Aguero winning the title over United with that last kick was pretty dramatic, but it doesn't really stir up any feeling in me.

I think you'll see more jibes at them in coming times because Pep gets wound up easily and even as an oil club in the EPL it's hard to buy your way to success when you can still lose to Burnley. United isn't an oil tycoon club, just American owners who spend stupid amounts and give the club astronomical debts (people laugh at this more than feel hate). However, look at how much money United have spent and still failed in years gone by.

Timbuktu

We really should run a poll on City vs Chelsea.

I find it difficult to hate City or feel anything about them. To me they are a big pile of cash, a kind of neutral abstract thing.

When they won the title in 2014, I'm not sure if anyone outside of their fans really cared that much that they won it. To me, people remember it for Gerrard and Liverpool not winning and the narrative seems to be between Chelsea and Liverpool.

I guess Aguero winning the title over United with that last kick was pretty dramatic, but it doesn't really stir up any feeling in me.

DBT85

I'd say Chelsea are the most hated, followed by Utd and Liverpool in joint 2nd.

Really? United get hate no matter the result or the performance lol

Even as a United fan I don't hate Liverpool, they've never really been that much of a threat in my 25 odd years of watching. Sure its nice to beat them and to see them slip up, but I honestly can't say I hate them or anyone else really. As I said before, I don't want them winning the league because they might take the record, nobody else will do it any time soon.

United, Liverpool and Arsenal have the history, the prestige, the lure of the name. City are a nothing club without the money.

faridmon

Everton said:
Our new third kit will be worn for the first time tonight at Manchester City.

20953168_10154641510241277_6084275627605936366_n.jpg
20952914_10154641510256277_6327296667717812597_n.jpg

21032711_10154641510251277_6108111660366278407_n.jpg
21034500_10154641510381277_3291819624120207830_n.jpg

I don't know whether I like our third kit or not. I can't be sure unless I see the players wear it while playing a full match

If you have a thin skin but a desire for trophies you pick Man Utd. If you have a thick skin and can take an avalanche of banter along with continual underachieving you pick Arsenal or Liverpool. If you want all of the prior to gang up and hate you for everything you pick Tottenham or Chelsea. Then if you want the whole league to hate you, including all the people who hate each other, you pick Man City.

So, pick Southampton or Bournemouth.

Manchester City is not a likeable club but not one that a lot of people hate. They also don't have any outspoken signature players. Most people feel indifferent towards them. If you held a poll among supporters of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd I am pretty sure Manchester City would come out as the preferred league winner.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If you held a poll among supporters of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd I am pretty sure Manchester City would come out as the preferred league winner.

I could see Spurs winning that hypothetical poll myself.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm surprised you guys think that actually, I always just assumed we were one of the most hated! Although I guess I'm going by the nature of the banter more than anything, like with Utd it's the standard fluff, but with Liverpool it feels like it's less to do with the club, and more to do with Liverpool the city with the bindippers shout and all that crap.

Man City fans are generally sound so that's helped stop them from being as hated as Chelsea I reckon.

Audioboxer

Manchester City is not a likeable club but not one that a lot of people hate. They also don't have any outspoken signature players. Most people feel indifferent towards them. If you held a poll among supporters of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd I am pretty sure Manchester City would come out as the preferred league winner.

Even with Pep at the helm? How can people vote like that...

OR2nz9y.gif

I don't think so. They have Aguero.

For most hated team...

I think Chelsea will be the clear winner. Hated by Arsenal and Spurs for obvious reasons. Hated by Liverpool for ruining their only shot at a title. Hated by City for being the more succesful oil club. Hated by the entire league for players like John Terry and Diego Costa. Hated by the entire world for winning the Champions League '11-'12.

TimmmV

Why would anybody hate Liverpool? They're a genuinely great club with a storied history.

The UK in general has a problem with hating on Scousers/Merseyside imo, moreso than anywhere else in the country

Football wise, Liverpool definitely get a lot of hate. But I think that comes with the territory of being a well supported club, and main rival of another well supported club.

I could see Spurs winning that hypothetical poll myself.

Yeah, the only problem I have with Spurs really is that they are making a mockery of Liverpool by being successful without spending a lot of money.

It's a shame for them that they have become successful at a time when superclubs have become a thing, because for how well run they are they really deserve a trophy

Audioboxer

The UK in general has a problem with hating on Scousers/Merseyside imo, moreso than anywhere else in the country

Football wise, Liverpool definitely get a lot of hate. But I think that comes with the territory of being a well supported club, and main rival of another well supported club.

The Hillsborough disaster coming to its conclusion should really stop some of that. The nonsensical hating because "Liverpool". The club/place has gone through a lot, and hey, it's one area of the country you can count on to vote Labour!

I think some of the Scouse banter is because clubs that end up with long-serving players end up with years of history around said players. The Carragher and Gerrard hate was strong. Now though, all you can really do is laugh at Moreno. Liverpool doesn't really have any of those iconic Scouse players to hate on now. End of an era. Now the premier league is just the dumping ground of all the foreign talent rejects that didn't sign for Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern/PSG or Juventus.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Mediawatch on F365 roasting Garth Crooks as usual:

One thing you can guarantee from Garth Crooks is that he will use his BBC Team of the Week to air his views on every single issue in football. So in making Jack Butland his goalkeeper, Crooks holds court about the refereeing decisions from Stoke…

‘Gunners duo Hector Bellerin and Danny Welbeck had perfectly clear penalties turned down, and how anyone could argue Alexandre Lacazette’s toe was offside is so tenuous it beggars belief.

‘What’s the game coming to? Is this what TV evidence was created for: to examine if a toe is in an offside position or not? What next – forelocks?’

Let’s not linger too long on ‘forelocks’ because that is a worrying insight into the mind of Crooks, but let us remind ourselves that Alexandre Lacazette was actually offside. Not by much, but he was offside.

No Garth, TV evidence was not created for judging if a toe is in an offside position; that’s the assistant referee’s job and he got it absolutely right.

http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-on-uncatchable-jose-and-deserter-ozil

MrS

Banned

I agree with Audioboxer that Liverpool are a banter club. They will always fuck up, like with Gerrard's slip, Crystanbul, Klopp losing 2 cup finals in a season and their comical transfer policy. They're harmless though, aren't they?

Everton are just the Bitter Blues, jealous of their rivals success cause they've won fuck all for years.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Reading's only a short train ride away if you want something a bit more glamorous.

My sincere apologies. I guess Arsenal can end their season now and call it a huge success having won that most prestigious of trophies.

The player's have took this post to heart

Audioboxer

I agree with Audioboxer that Liverpool are a banter club. They will always fuck up, like with Gerrard's slip, Crystanbul, Klopp losing 2 cup finals in a season and their comical transfer policy. They're harmless though, aren't they?

Everton are just the Bitter Blues, jealous of their rivals success cause they've won fuck all for years.

Ottf9Y3.gif

From the reddit topic aptly named What is the one gif that pisses off your rival the most?

edit: Lashley bro, how u feel

8689481350_e676890028_o.gif

Markitron

They have finished above Liverpool a couple of times in the last decade and knocked them out of the FA cup in 2009.

Not even Real Madrid can boast achievements like that lately.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this gif, but it's hilarious all the same.

For some reason I've always hated Liverpool and I've never been able to quite put my finger on why. I think it has something to do with the media constantly talking about them like they're a big shot when, in my life time, they've never won a league title. Never really done anything. One spawny Champions League win, that's about it.

Chelsea and Man City are easy to hate. For obvious reasons.

Strangely, I've always had a soft spot for both Arsenal and Man United. Purely because one of my brother's supports Arsenal and my Dad supports Man United, so I'm always hoping one of those sides win the Premier League (unless a new team somehow enters the fray, like Leicester).

Tottenham is Tottenham. Never really had anything to dislike or particularly like about them.

Audioboxer

They have finished above Liverpool a couple of times in the last decade and knocked them out of the FA cup in 2009.

Not even Real Madrid can boast achievements like that lately.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this gif, but it's hilarious all the same.

I think he was referring to your post as a burn, as it was. That gif looks like applying one of the cold gasses to a muscle problem (but in this instance referring to cooling a burn). It's a pretty hilarious scene, you don't see that often in the PL. Then again most players are diving and feigning injury.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'd agree with this. Chelsea are by far the most generally hated in my experience, and Liverpool/United have large fanbases that really hate each other. Only Spurs fans really hate Arsenal and nobody really gives a shit about City, not even their own fans judging by how empty their medium-sized stadium is at times.
:lol

faridmon

If anything MrS sound like a bitter old fuck.

Man, I wish the ignore feature also extends to when people quote him

This might also be a contender I guess.

jose-morhino-was-pumped-after-chelseas-goal-against-liverpool-a.gif

That game was hilarious, That slip and it was against Mourinho of all managers. Now that his Man United team is flying high, he must be salivating as he looks forward playing Liverpool

cromofo

Man City is to me like a crazy soulless experiment
I like United and Spurs
I hate RS, that's a given
Chelsea are meh
Arsenal became a joke

TimmmV

The Hillsborough disaster coming to its conclusion should really stop some of that. The nonsensical hating because "Liverpool". The club/place has gone through a lot, and hey, it's one area of the country you can count on to vote Labour!

I think some of the Scouse banter is because clubs that end up with long-serving players end up with years of history around said players. The Carragher and Gerrard hate was strong. Now though, all you can really do is laugh at Moreno. Liverpool doesn't really have any of those iconic Scouse players to hate on now. End of an era. Now the premier league is just the dumping ground of all the foreign talent rejects that didn't sign for Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern/PSG or Juventus.

The Hillsborough stuff will take ages to go away, the Murdoch/Tories did a really good smear job with that one. But hopefully it will stop the "always the victims" chant at games at least. I've always thought it was particularly crass to sing that at Anfield, considering people who were at Hillsborough are still regularly going to games

Bit of both - Liverpool definitely get pity bants of the same "lads its spurs" kind. But there is also often real hatred there too (which I think partly comes from people not liking Scousers)

I live in Manchester, and can still remember how United fans were acting the season that Liverpool finished 2nd to City. It was almost a mixture of hatred and pure terror at the idea of Liverpool winning the league.

Honestly, you have to respect the work with that Ferguson gif. As much as watching Liverpool fuck up against Chelsea was hard to watch, that gif is still funny.

The thing that triggers me most on Reddit is a Liverpool fan trying to make a point about something, and just being replied to with the gif of Gerrard slipping instead of a proper reply :lol

faridmon

Man City is to me like a crazy soulless experiment
I like United and Spurs
I hate RS, that's a given
Chelsea are meh
Arsenal became a joke

I hate all top 6 teams, but if I would prefer 1, I would say Its Man City. I really hate Spurs and how cocky they become considering they haven't won anything. Champions League is fine and dandy, but they could have won the league twice and kept chocking, and they boast about that fact.

faridmon

Aresnal should really be ambitious, take a gamble and get a new manager. If he succeeds then he succeeds, if he fails then, at least you will have a fresh perspective and can build on that. Wenger just made the club feel like the exist... thats it.

Beefy

City are dope
Arsenal are dope
Spurs are dope
Chelsea are dope
Utd are dope
Liverpool are dope, but hate how many ex players are commentators etc. It makes for very biased opinions.
Mourinho is annoying

I have no problem with any team.

Audioboxer

The Hillsborough stuff will take ages to go away, the Murdoch/Tories did a really good smear job with that one. But hopefully it will stop the "always the victims" chant at games at least. I've always thought it was particularly crass to sing that at Anfield, considering people who were at Hillsborough are still regularly going to games

Bit of both - Liverpool definitely get pity bants of the same "lads its spurs" kind. But there is also often real hatred there too (which I think partly comes from people not liking Scousers)

I live in Manchester, and can still remember how United fans were acting the season that Liverpool finished 2nd to City. It was almost a mixture of hatred and pure terror at the idea of Liverpool winning the league.

I mean, that would terrify anyone, even the Liverpool fans.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think another reason why Liverpool are disliked is their fans each and every season proclaiming that this is their year. You could argue that it's a minority, but it does happen.

Weirdly, our fans do it too? Like, are they actually fucking mental?

faridmon

Chris Wood to Burnley done.

£15m appparently.

We had him on loan a couple of seasons back and honestly an actual piece of wood would have been better.

One of those players who are plays like class and is amazing in championship only to just be complete useless in Premier League.

But for that price, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom