• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.mbp

Seems to me he is motivating Liverpool just as much as Hoffenheim though, invoking a famous Man Utd comeback isn't gonna do him any favours at Anfield.

That Anfield crowd has been known to get a little nervous these past few seasons, especially if they concede.

Yager

Banned
Bartomeu and his buddies are a fucking disgrace. They're ruining the club. Wouldn't suprise me if Messi gave them the big middle finger and left, and nobody would be mad. In fact a lot of people would understand that. We've got years ahead of us of being mediocre until someone competent gets in there.

King_Moc

Banned
Didn't barca say take it or leave it, and that Sunday was the deadline. Worst poker face ever.

If they'd bid this 2 months ago, they'd have gotten him most likely. Why wait until the eve of every Liverpool game? It's just going to piss them off.

Yager

Banned
If Ciy pays 300M for Messi, we'll have money for 7 and a half Paulinhos. Win-win if you ask me.

If they'd bid this 2 months ago, they'd have gotten him most likely. Why wait until the eve of every Liverpool game? It's just going to piss them off.

What's baffling is that he knew months before Neymar left that there was the chance that he was leaving. Why not tie a player then? Even if Neymar wasn't leaving, Barça would still need something more for attack positions. But no, this guys have no fucking clue.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That Anfield crowd has been known to get a little nervous these past few seasons, especially if they concede.

Maybe when were 1-0 down to Stoke on a Saturday afternoon, I'm sure non-LFC fans are sick of hearing this, but it's different when it's European games. The crowd was still well up for it when we were 3-1 down to Dortmund and needed 3 goals.

:lol no

He said, his earliest european cup memory is manchester defeat over bayern in 1999

Because you know... he is young.

Ahhhhh. He's only 2 years younger than me and I can remember AC Milan smashing Barca in the CL final in 94.

Why wait until the eve of every Liverpool game? It's just going to piss them off.

Because it's Barca, and LFC should feel privileged to have a player good enough to play for such an illustrious club. LFC shoud, by all rights, transfer him for free. In fact, Barca are so much better than everyone, they should get both parachutes. Just incase one of them doesn't work.

casiopao

Everytime i watch Napoli play im like "damn i like their style of play". One of my favorite teams to watch besides Bayern.

Surprised a top club hasn't come and acquired Insigne too.

Barca asked for Insigne for 60 mil Euros and ADL said F off lol.

And, many Napoli player seems to be loyal to Sarri and Napoli as they are damn enjoying playing that style of football. There is a reason why Juventus fans often trolled them as saying a beautiful style of football is useless if u cant win a single trophy lol.

Is City really considering paying over 300m for a player?

Unless it's so Messi pays himself out I don't see how City can do it and stay within FFP. FFP is a lot looser but is still there and City have tighter rules than other clubs. The rumours were 300 - 350 million at there disposal this window and they have already come close to that.

Messi apparently approached City last year and they couldn't afford him with the other changes needed. No different this year except PSG have now shown a way around the system.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
We were linked with him way before he went to Madrid. He's literally exactly what we need.

He and Draxler are perfect for the team, and are relatively available, for a likely reasonable price. We should be breaking our backs to get them. Reintegrate Sakho as well and that's a serious squad improvement, with or without Phil. I'm still bitter that we didn't even try for Tielmanns.

Asensio and Kovacic, damn. We're going to have some team.

lol

Don't forget about Mbappe, Keita, VVD and the 1986 version of Diego Maradonna.

Blablurn

Maybe when were 1-0 down to Stoke on a Saturday afternoon, I'm sure non-LFC fans are sick of hearing this, but it's different when it's European games. The crowd was still well up for it when we were 3-1 down to Dortmund and needed 3 goals.

Ahhhhh. He's only 2 years younger than me and I can remember AC Milan smashing Barca in the CL final in 94.

Because it's Barca, and LFC should feel privileged to have a player good enough to play for such an illustrious club. LFC shoud, by all rights, transfer him for free. In fact, Barca are so much better than everyone, they should get both parachutes. Just incase one of them doesn't work.

not everyone started as early as you m8

Orgen

Mannnnn, what's with the Kondogbia hate here lately? Is he so bad as you say? :( hahaha

He is still young, did well at Sevilla and I trust in Marcelino to bring the best out of him (just like with Paulista, another player not liked here). Player's performance could improve/decline drastically depending on several factors (league, coach...) so I'm hoping that Marcelino can bring the best out of all of them (Neto, Paulista, Murillo and Kondogbia).

For example Otamendi and Mustafi were the best defence we had here for a decade and now in the Premier they don't seem to be doing so well :|

It seems we'll have Guedes loaned this year, maybe Pereira from Man Utd and we're interested in Lucas Perez too (even when he seems to want to got to Deportivo).

Markitron

not everyone started as early as you m8

I started watching when I was about 7. Just assumed someone that achieved so much at such a young age would have too. I never even played :(

TimmmV

If Liverpool qualify tonight, we will 100% be put in a group with Barca and Leipzig

Edit: yeah, fuck Barca for doing this again immediately before a game, they need to get the picture and piss off

Dadasch

If we don't give Sakho another chance, we should't give Coutinho another one
I understand the frustration...Dembele is no different - actually even worse after packing his belongings and traveling to France -, but sometimes you need a compromise, as it is a very serious business. You can't really buy loyalty, because there will almost always be another club, who is more prestigious or has even more money.
Clubs have to deal with this. "Echte Liebe" (true love) as Dortmund loves to call it doesn't exist very often.

tim.mbp

Mannnnn, what's with the Kondogbia hate here lately? Is he so bad as you say? :( hahaha

He is still young, did well at Sevilla and I trust in Marcelino to bring the best out of him (just like with Paulista, another player not liked here). Player's performance could improve/decline drastically depending on several factors (league, coach...) so I'm hoping that Marcelino can bring the best out of all of them (Neto, Paulista, Murillo and Kondogbia).

For example Otamendi and Mustafi were the best defence we had here for a decade and now in the Premier they don't seem to be doing so well :|

It seems we'll have Guedes loaned this year, maybe Pereira from Man Utd and we're interested in Lucas Perez too (even when he seems to want to got to Deportivo).

Kondogbia should be okay. Didn't really have the best time at Inter, but he's not alone in that.

Markitron

If Liverpool qualify tonight, we will 100% be put in a group with Barca and Leipzig

Edit: yeah, fuck Barca for doing this again immediately before a game, they need to get the picture and piss off

I saw pot one and two yesterday. The odds of a good draw are extremely long. Getting out of the group will be extremely difficult - if we get through tonight that is.

NHale

You have no idea the pressure that board is feeling right now.

I bet pool could fleece them for 150m+addons before the window ends.

Well the board only has to blame themselves for this shit. They could have easily negotiate with PSG once they knew Neymar wanted to leave so they could do business before PSG bought Neymar which would make prices for their targets a lot lower. Or they could simply not make an official announcement saying Coutinho and Dembele were just a matter of hours until they were closed after the Real Madrid game. What a mess.

And after yesterdays pictures I'm not so sure Messi is signing his new contract anytime soon... it became quite clear that in the same day the board goes to war against Neymar, the most important players in the lockerroom took pictures with Neymar...

If I was a Barça fan I would be fucking scared that Messi is bolting either this year (let's be honest €300M is peanuts for top teams) or for a even bigger fuckery after Bartomeu statements about "Messi is loyal unlike Neymar", Messi doesn't sign a new deal and he's free to sign for anyone else next Summer. Can you imagine the best player in the world in the market for free? Barça fans would be so mad it would be 100x worse than Figo. And at this moment I'm pretty sure they would blame Bartomeu and not Messi though.

casiopao

I wonder which team does u guys would want to avoid at all cost from pot 1 there?

I would love if Juventus does not meet Napoli as i wanted moar Serie A love in the knock off stage.

They'll try to put bids in before every group game, transfer window be damned.

As for pot 1 peeps, Real has a leaky enough defense to fancy our chances. Bayern and Juve would be hard, hard games. Tbh though most of the teams in all the pots are super strong, it's gonna be a fight for everybody.

NHale

I wonder which team does u guys would want to avoid at all cost from pot 1 there?

I would love if Juventus does not meet Napoli as i wanted moar Serie A love in the knock off stage.

Pot 1 is Real Madrid. There is not even a question about it but I think pot 2 is actually stronger overall than pot 1 to be quite honest because it has less "weaker" teams. In Pot 1 you have Benfica, Spartak Moscovo and Shakhtar Donetsk while in pot 2 you have FC Porto and Manchester United.

For teams in pot 3 and 4, the only hope is to get one of those weak links in the group stages. But at the same time you can get a group with Real Madrid, PSG and Napoli....

I want:

Real Madrid
Man City
Napoli
RB Leipzig

All should be good games. Not really fussed if it is a hard group, just want to watch good football.

Markitron

Pot 1 is Real Madrid. There is not even a question about it but I think pot 2 is actually stronger overall than pot 1 to be quite honest because it has less "weaker" teams. In Pot 1 you have Benfica, Spartak Moscovo and Shakhtar Donetsk while in pot 2 you have FC Porto and Manchester United.

For teams in pot 3 and 4, the only hope is to get one of those weak links in the group stages. But at the same time you can get a group with Real Madrid, PSG and Napoli....

There's going to be at least one group of death, and I'm almost certain Liverpool will be in it.

Markitron

We can only hope

I actually won't mind all that much, at least we will be guaranteed some high profile matches at Anfield this season, and they play far better against teams that don't sit deep and rely on set-plays.

We know Chelsea and PSG will end up in one group and same with Bayern and Atletico.

And just like every year, United will be drawn against Kidderminster Harriers, Harchester United and Total Network Solutions.

We know Chelsea and PSG will end up in one group and same with Bayern and Atletico.

Chelsea and PSG usually don't meet until the KO stages. In the group stages Chelsea has had relatively easy draws.

Bayern will meet Atletico in the group stages and, I don't know how yet, Arsenal in the first KO stage.

NHale

Chelsea and PSG usually don't meet until the KO stages. In the group stages Chelsea has had relatively easy draws.

Bayern will meet Atletico in the group stages and, I don't know how yet, Arsenal in the first KO stage.

giphy.gif

Dadasch

Besides Neapel and maybe Liverpool it's a pretty weak third Pot this year. Don't even start with Tottenham...they will be annihilated.

What I want:
Shakthar Donetsk
Borussia Dortmund
RSC Anderlecht
NK Maribor (don't really care)

What we will get instead:
Real Madrid
Borussia Dortmund
SSC Neapel
Celtic Glasgow

I'm expecting a semi-final this year. :p

casiopao

I would love for Juventus to meet with some easy team in group stage first lol so we can focus more on our domestic match lol.

But considering our team current performance, i dont think any team should fear us. Hell, i fear that this year we would probably failed to pass group stage here.

Markitron

To be fair, it's more about Wenger and less about Arsenal themselves.

Maybe 15 years ago, lately the whole Wenger situation has become overly dramatic and funny to me.

MikeBison

What you want is to draw a Real/Barcelona/Bayern and they're free games. But have two lesser teams. Win home and away against them and go through. Then against the big boys you just take a stab at it, but plan to get 0 points out of the two games.

You know, exactly like when we had a group of:

Real Madrid
Ludogerets
Basel

and still couldn't negotiate the group.

Markitron

What you want is to draw a Real/Barcelona/Bayern and they're free games. But have two lesser teams. Win home and away against them and go through. Then against the big boys you just take a stab at it, but plan to get 0 points out of the two games.

You know, exactly like when we had a group of:

Real Madrid
Ludogerets
Basel

and still couldn't negotiate the group.

Or, if you are Brendan Rodgers, just don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom