• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: Reviewers Reporting Frame Rate Problems With 'CoD: Ghosts' On PS4

The fact that the Xbox One version running at 720p also has framerate problems has now led me to believe that this isn't so much Xbone vs. PS4 - it's more like Infinity Ward just fucking up.

Jedi2016

I place the technical incompetency on the game devs in this particular case.
Oh, no doubt. There's nothing this game is doing that can cause this much of a hit to performance, compared to what we're seeing in other games.

On the framerate note, I'll be very surprised if the X1 version doesn't have the same problem. And there's just no excuse for that. This game should be running smooth as butter across the board.

So what graphical enhancements does the Wii U version have over PS3 and 360? And what's the res of the PS360 versions? Wii U's is 880x720, PS4 is I think 1920x1080 and Xbox One is 1280x720 right?

Alchemist

All of these issues are on Infinity Ward. 720p on the Xbone, frame rate issues, everything.

The series needs a complete overhaul because this is shaping up to be the third bad game in a row.

Sorry if these tweets were posted already...

OQEXfc9.png

Alex is a freelance writer, he reviewed Ghosts for Gamefront.
https://twitter.com/alexrubens/status/397848282191257600

vAn2uKs.png

Dan is an editor at Game Informer.
https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/397848714116485120

StevieP

Banned
So what graphical enhancements does the Wii U version have over PS3 and 360? And what's the res of the PS360 versions? Wii U's is 880x720, PS4 is I think 1920x1080 and Xbox One is 1280x720 right?

Wii u is the same resolution and performance as 360 (ie 60 frames for the most part). No enhancements that I can see, just more consistent performance.

If they bumped it to a full 720 like xbone it would probably have performance issues as well.

Tablo

Deadbeat

Banned
All you people spelling doom and gloom to the cod franchise, lets wait for Treyarch's offerings. They are the leaders of the franchise now.

Cod aint dead until treyarch fails as well.

StevieP

Banned
It wouldn't be a problem in singleplayer if this is a real issue anyways, waiting on multiplayer observations before I make a judgment on this. I wonder if it has more to with CPU performance since that's more taxed in multiplayer, some things you can't really offload to GPGPU.

If the framerate chugs when lots of stuff is happening such as smoke and explosions (as has been reported) then it could be a CPU issue. I doubt the tech scales well to 6 cores but one would have to get clarification from IW on that

nib95

Banned
It wouldn't be a problem in singleplayer if this is a real issue anyways, waiting on multiplayer observations before I make a judgment on this. I wonder if it has more to with CPU performance since that's more taxed in multiplayer, some things you can't really offload to GPGPU.

All the frame rate issues mentioned were for the SP. Only site that mentioned MP frame rate issues was GiantBomb...

DSix

Banned
Could we ban mentions of forbes contributors? Those are nothing more than random blogs filled with wishful fanboy bullshit.

Dukey

Banned
Could we ban mentions of forbes contributors? Those are nothing more than random blogs filled with wishful fanboy bullshit.

Sometimes, but not this time. He's merely linking to reviews of the game from major sites.

lol @ the Totalbiscuit video. "Infinity Ward in name alone". Hahahaha. The real Infinity Ward will unleash their beast in a few months.

a916

So this latest speculative fiction is right up there with the overheating issues then.

It's not really speculative considering no one with an integrity mentioned the heating problems whereas several reviewers, including IGN, specifically mentioned framerate issues.

fallagin

All you people spelling doom and gloom to the cod franchise, lets wait for Treyarch's offerings. They are the leaders of the franchise now.

Yeah, I think this mostly spells the death of IW as the cod A team.

Very few people, but Gerstmann has never been willfully wrong before.

Yeah he knows his shit. I believe him. If it's SP Campaign though who cares. Did he say the MP had frame rate drops too?

I'd say let's wait and see what Titan Fall does since it can make COD obsolete instantly.

Edit: Sorry forgot its an MS exclusive. Nevermind

viveks86

All the frame rate issues mentioned were for the SP. Only site that mentioned MP frame rate issues was GiantBomb...

Polygon as well

Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

Meh, wouldn't say doom and gloom, but the series has been stale for a long time now. Hardly anything has changed.

a916

Wait... this entire overblown reaction is because the framerate drops randomly (sometimes never for certain reviewers) in SP in certain areas during rare occurrences?

Talk about a an overblown reaction...

viveks86

This is the problem when you have an embargo from MS. Nobody knows wtf is going on. Every version of this game is being talked about except the XB1 version. Does it have frame rate issues or doesn't it? You know, these things are important!

Agreed. As if there isn't enough uncertainty already...

The fact that the Xbox One version running at 720p also has framerate problems has now led me to believe that this isn't so much Xbone vs. PS4 - it's more like Infinity Ward just fucking up.
If you look at the game I think it's clear that there is not a hardware ceiling at play here.

Cyborg

Unless there is a patched version, or they played a PS4 with the newest firmware.

Doesnt make any diffrence, there are no framedrops!
If it is patched or PS4 had a update then you wont have framedrops, so this is all for nothing. People should wait and see.

Do you know what I find disturbin? The fact that MS is using an Embargo and controling the press. Look at the interview with Metro.

The sad part is that the game really doesn't look like it should demand to be in 720p on the XBone hardware or dip on PS4 hardware. Or have such stupid PC requirements.

IW fucked up.

this^^^ after seeing the comparisons between current vs next gen it's hardly an upgrade. in fact it's an embarrassment.

viveks86

So the PS4 is underpowered compared to the 360. Gonna get me a WiiU for next gen.

Good call! After seeing TotalBiscuit's video, it seems that even a dual titan PC is underpowered compared to a 360. Thank God I never bothered building a PC! Phew!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just for consideration, does anyone remember COD2 and 3 at their respective console launches? CoD2 suffered from dramatic slowdown throughout while CoD3 on PS3 was limited to 30 fps. Just a little point of reference. We've been here before.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Just for consideration, does anyone remember COD2 and 3 at their respective console launches? CoD2 suffered from dramatic slowdown throughout while CoD3 on PS3 was limited to 30 fps. Just a little point of reference. We've been here before.

Aye, but the PS3 looked like a series of tubes to devs back then. The PS4 is based on more familiar PC architecture. What gives?

Top Bottom