• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget exclusives, the Xbox One has trouble getting MULTIPLATFORM games

Wedzi

Banned
Out of that list Persona 5 is the only one I really care about. The other PS4 Japanese third party elusive exclusives I care about are KH 1.5 & 2.5 HD and KH 2.8. How those games don't make there way over I have no idea. Disney is pretty universal you'd think Square Enix would make the money back form the port and then some. Plus building a base for KH 3 (if that is still planned for Xbox One at all at this point).

Might as well add Final Fantasy X and XII remakes as well.

This is the problem with so many of these "Whats wrong with Xbox" threads. They all assume Xbox owners care about the same type of games they care about. Nothing in your list interest me. The fact that Scalebound is canceled, while disappointing, didn't bother me. I have over 100 game on my XB1 that I have yet to even push the "A" button to start up. I like my FH3, Halo, GOW4, EA Access, and GwG. I'm good.

Couldn't agree more.

Toki767

This is the problem with so many of these "Whats wrong with Xbox" threads. They all assume Xbox owners care about the same type of games they care about. Nothing in your list interest me. The fact that Scalebound is canceled, while disappointing, didn't bother me. I have over 100 game on my XB1 that I have yet to even push the "A" button to start up. I like my FH3, Halo, GOW4, EA Access, and GwG. I'm good.

It's posts like these that make me really sad that the majority of Xbox owners actually feel this way.

If you're truly satisfied with mostly Halo/Gears/Forza, more power to you, but if Xbox was my only console, I would want the most amount of games available as possible, even if I had little interest in them.

Are you atleast interested in the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3? If that one flops on X1, that is probably the last thing to come from Square Enix to an Xbox console. There is no way you can say that is a good thing.

As a Xbox owner I won't miss any of these titles, will I get kingdom hearts and final fantasy? Good that's about all the JRPG I can handle. at my age, I'm Just not interested in that style anymore. Between 12-25 I was really into all those games coming out of Japan, now I'm not.

I mostly play shooters / loot grind games.

It's posts like these that make me really sad that the majority of Xbox owners actually feel this way.

If you're truly satisfied with mostly Halo/Gears/Forza, more power to you, but if Xbox was my only console, I would want the most amount of games available as possible, even if I had little interest in them.
Right, I don't get it. Why are people actively rooting against games being on their platform? It is mind boggling.

opoth

Banned
The truth is, to the average Western gamer, Japanese games have become somewhat niche aside from Square Enix's output, Dark Souls and Nintendo's own little ecosystem.

As long as XB1 keeps getting FF and Souls games, many people who bought into MS this gen won't feel like there's much to entice them elsewhere.

wapplew

Some Xbox owner used to care about those in 360 era, but those who cared force to go elsewhere because MS don't care.

Lkr

Are you atleast interested in the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3? If that one flops on X1, that is probably the last thing to come from Square Enix to an Xbox console. There is no way you can say that is a good thing.

have any previous kingdom hearts games been on any Xbox platform? no. KH3 is doomed on Xbox imo

gtj1092

Most usually focus on the Japanese games not coming to Xbox but there seems to be a bunch of indies that only come to ps4 as well.

This plus the Scalebound cancelation is why I finally sold my XB1. If you primarily play Japanese games, there is no point in owning one. Which is weird, because last gen they had the best version of many multiplatform Japanese games and a lot of their own Japanese exclusives (Ace Combat 6, Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Odyssey. EDF 2017, Culdcept Saga, Virtual On, Project Sylpheed, tons of STGs and lots more). I think it's pretty clear that the 360 had the most well-rounded library last gen, and that the PS4 does right now. And look at how that has correlated to sales.

Grief.exe

Not for long...

C2OemjEVQAAbBt0.jpg

DQH is already on PC, though the port is mediocre.

timlot

Banned

Its not that I don't care. I hope it does well. It wouldn't be a game I would buy I launch though. Maybe on discount months down the line, but it seems a games first month success is the only thing that counts around here.

Rob2K19

This again. lol

Well uh, you have Valkyria Revolution to look forward to on Xbone in the realm of Japanese games ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Still salty that it's coming to Xbone but not PC.

Only because Sega took the "this is a different world from Valkyria Chronicles" joke too far.

The fact that Scalebound is canceled, while disappointing, didn't bother me. I have over 100 game on my XB1 that I have yet to even push the "A" button to start up. I like my FH3, Halo, GOW4, EA Access, and GwG. I'm good.

You sound like MS after they explained the cancellation of Scalebound promising more Western games instead of more JP games. lol

Yeah and it sucks for us who enjoy those types of games. I was lucky enough to get a ps4 and I'd know I would be miserable missing out on some of these titles. Scalebounds cancellation hurt bad on top of it all

I would LOVE to have Nier Automata on my xbox since its the console I prefer to play on. Although the devs did mention it might get ported over if it sold well enough(bleh looks like I gotta buy it anyway)

Heck I'd rebuy Guilty Gear because I prefer my xbox controller

pixelation

Most of those games aren't particularly popular for people who own a xbone.

But MS already has those in the pocket, they should be trying to expand their 1st/3rd party offerings to welcome new users into the fold. I am waiting to see if purchasing an XBO is worthwhile according to my tastes... so far that is a definite no and i don't see it changing anytime soon from what i can tell... prove me wrong MS.

JPS Kai

Koei Tecmo didn't ignore the Xbone. They did release Dynasty Warriors and Bladestorm on it.

Chances are, sales didn't cover production costs, or at the vet least, make enough of a profit to continue to be a viable revenue stream for the company.

I can only assume other companies have looked at the install base and software attach rates and came to similar conclusions in their forecasting.

And this list doesn't even contain multiple games which have/or coming to PS4/PC which were published by XSEED, Aksys, PQube, NIS, Idea Factory International, and many more.

While XB1 owners are like they do not know anything about those games or do not care...well I definitely care because its all I pretty much purchase are games from Japan. That is why I only game on PS4, handhelds, and soon to be Switch.

Isn't one of the reasons some games skip XB1 is because MS requires a certain number of copies to be printed....which is why some smaller publishers have ignored an XB1 version (like Earth Dawn getting a disc on PS4 but not XB1)?

Figments

Right, I don't get it. Why are people actively rooting against games being on their platform? It is mind boggling.

He doesn't sound like he's rooting /against/ anything. The reality of the market is that barely anyone on Xbox buys those kinds of games. The ones who call it sad or unbelievable are hyping up nothing to be something.

Personally, I'd love to have Persona 5 on my Xbox, but if I have the cash and the desire, I'll just pick up a PS4 anyway and use it exclusively for Japanese games. It's what I did with the Vita, and it's what I'll continue to do for non-Xbox platforms.

Gestault

The Japanese publishing market is in a precarious situation because of how console sales have largely collapsed since the PS2 era. When you look at the hard numbers, it's really surprising. Even some of the best selling hardware (and software) in the Japanese market is significantly below numbers from earlier generations. They have less to invest, so they're more stringent with their publishing efforts. Steam and the PC market has slowly built up a reliable buying market, and it requires less money for international publishing. The PS4 is the defacto console brand in Japan. Even though the software engineering would be simple for XB1 ports, the QA process would be just as expensive as for their tent-pole platforms, and it means a whole separate publishing budget for the additional platform. The market on XB1 isn't clearly defined enough for the bean-counters.

Weirdly, it's the same situation Nintendo of America faces in relation to Nintendo of Japan: The domestic focus means even when NOA reports high sales relatively to the home market, NOJ won't give them commiserate financial latitude because management doesn't have the same sort of connection to the market.

Obviously it would be awesome to have these available more places, but the decision makes its own sort of sense. I don't think it's something Microsoft has control over in the way OP implies.

jayu26

Last I heard Nier: Automata was being considered or coming to Xbox One. Anything changed?

Platinum said they would like to do it. Platinum doesn't get to decide that. It is a Square Enix game and their Japanese division has forgotten what Xbox is. After recent events, I don't think Platinum is too keen on it either.

Yoday

I absolutely agree. If having those Japanese games is important to you, then you likely already have a PS4. Those games would be ported over if the publisher felt that the market for them was big enough on Xbox to justify it, but it's clearly not. This isn't some kind of failing on Microsoft's part, it's the result of a different kind of global player base that largely doesn't care about those games.

That title lol

Xbox audience doesn't care about those games unfortunately. What do you honestly expect MS to do to incentivize these devs to put their games on a system for those games to sell 20 copies?

AmuroChan

Most of those games aren't particularly popular for people who own a xbone.

Perhaps, but they need to target people who don't own an X1.

I got a 360 solely because of their Japanese exclusives (Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Vesperia, etc).

Lkr

GamesBeat: Will KH 2.8 only be on PS4?

Yasue: Yes.

GB: But KH3 is coming to Xbox One.

Yasue: Right.

it makes no sense. KH is one of the few non-Nintendo Japanese games with mainstream western appeal. put an HD collection on xbox before KH3 sounds like a no brainer but oh well. honestly at this point they should just cancel it for xbox, i don't see it selling well since the player base is all on the Playstation systems to begin with

When are we gonna get the FFXV split? If it's especially slanted towards PS4 I wouldn't be surprised if KH3 doesn't even come to Xbox

Type-0 HD was roughly 80/20 PS4/XBO. XV will likely be pretty close to that.

I think SE is putting it out because they already announced it and they dont want XBO owners to get pissed at them. Xbox One is still a very important platform for SE because of Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, Just Cause, etc.

timlot

Banned
This again. lol

You sound like MS after they explained the cancellation of Scalebound promising more Western games instead of more JP games. lol

No, I sound like a realist. No sense being upset over something you have no control over. Would have love to see Scalebound release, but its not. Disappointment is part of life. I look at the bright side there are plenty of games I yet to play and many 1st/3rd party games releasing this year. I realize some want to wallow in ,or rather exacerbate, the news or Scalebound. I understand why, but just realize everybody isn't of the same hive mind in that outrage.

He doesn't sound like he's rooting /against/ anything. The reality of the market is that barely anyone on Xbox buys those kinds of games. The ones who call it sad or unbelievable are hyping up nothing to be something.

Personally, I'd love to have Persona 5 on my Xbox, but if I have the cash and the desire, I'll just pick up a PS4 anyway and use it exclusively for Japanese games. It's what I did with the Vita, and it's what I'll continue to do for non-Xbox platforms.
Well, I did say "people" because I have seen that sort of attitude toward the situation and it is somewhat implied in some of the posts here. It is fine if you don't see it the same way but I do.

Head.spawn

It's almost like all those games have something in common.

I guess they assume nobody will buy the games because MS doesn't have a big presence in Japan, so they don't release them... allowing nobody to buy them. It's the whole chicken and egg scenario; you can't get people interested in your titles if you don't release them.

Also, Nier Automata has Sony cash involved, right? It has PS exclusive DLC in it.

Nutter

It is a big problem that they didn't have with the 360.

I mean the 360 got Japanese exclusives over the PS3.

MS needs to fund direct sequels to their games they got in the 360 days like Ninja Gaiden and Lost Odyssey.

Top Bottom