• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Solo royale!
6AECMcp.png

Final circle ended on the big farm in Anarchy Acres. Shotgunned a guy hiding in the rafters, got a better shotgun from him, then used a tire to jump onto the roof. Last guy didn't bother looking up so I waited for him to turn the corner of the barn. Dropped down and hid in a bush and he came back and walked right past me. Ezpz last kill lol.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks! This was actually second solo win, but it's still just as exhilarating haha. :D

I am over double digits in solo wins and still get amped up.

Maybe not quite as much as my first one when I jumped up from my PC chair yelling and having my wife look at me like I lost my mind but still get pretty pumped :)

Hoodbury

Just got my first solo win too and it was possibly the most boring win possible. I didn't get a kill until the very last one, which included a bunch of horrible sniper shots before one finally landed. It also included so much bush hiding, tree hiding, hiding in a building with a shotgun aimed at the door and crouch walking across the hole map while not seeing anyone else.

Can we post youtube videos here or is that considered advertising your own stuff? It's pretty comical how bad that win was and how I did everything the most boring way possible.

I had no idea that's why my parachute is now an umbrella, heh.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Played two games, got 6 kills and ended in the top 20 on my second round.

I think I would like to play with a squad though.

Cat Party

I don't know if I'll ever win a match. I've got a bunch of second places but I can never get the jump on the last opponent.

Still have a lot of fun though.

Wow! they already rebalanced the gun balance!! No nedd for update

We will be pushing a Battle Royal specific update within the hour aimed at adjusting weapon balance. There will be no downtime. Players will not need to update their client.

See you in-game!

Battle Royale Update - Oct 6th

Increased Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle damage by 50%. This weapon was often passed up because of its lower damage. This increase will put it closer in line with its intended effectiveness.

Decreased Scoped Assault Rifle damage by 33%. This weapon was too effective at its current role and needed to be scaled back slightly.

Decreased Grenade, Grenade Launcher, and Rocket Launcher environmental damage to 375 (was 450). Metal forts will now require two explosive blasts (instead of one). Late-game bases are too easily destroyed and we want to promote building diversity.

Increased Rocket Launcher reload time by 20%. It's a little too easy to spam rockets. We want the Rocket Launcher to be a powerful weapon, but it's a little too good right now.

Increased Submachine Gun damage by 10%. The Submachine Gun is underperforming at close to medium range combat. This damage increase will improve its effectiveness slightly. We'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Head over to the official forums to continue the discussion.

Super happy about the Scoped AR nerf and Semi Sniper buff, though it now sounds better than the Bolt. Doesnt it do the same damage now?

Assuming SMGs still suck but Ill try it out

And Im real excited for more base building finishes

methane47

Just got my first win... was in a squad buttt... they jumped out at the first second and died immediatley so i said fk that and jumped out near the end... Basically I lost 80hp from the first circle... running for my life to make it in... And basically spend the next 15 minutes praying i would find a bandage or a med kit...

I didn't... by this time still haven't seen a sole... I get shot at but he misses and i dodge around a hill and he just figures im not worth it... I go around searching from building to building for a bandage while I see pandemonium around me.. rockets going across, grenades, buildilngs going up and getting destroyed Im still crouching with 20health looking for a freaking bandage..

I head around a bluff with 9 ppl left... When i get around the corner... there are only 2 ... me and one other guy... By this time I had picked up 10 grenades, epic bolty, legendary Scar.. So i say fk it.. and start tossing nades into the guy's fort... He bunkers down I build 2 stairs up to get a good vantage... He pops out I duck.. and he rushes me from under my stairs... I drop down ... and boom hit him once in the leg... and I GOT MY FIRST WIN!!! Woohoo..

1 kill.. 1 shot in the leg lol

Weston

Wow! they already rebalanced the gun balance!! No nedd for update

Super happy about the Scoped AR nerf and Semi Sniper buff, though it now sounds better than the Bolt. Doesnt it do the same damage now?

Assuming SMGs still suck but Ill try it out

And Im real excited for more base building finishes

Wow that was quick. All good changes if you ask me.

Yeah, the rocket launcher was the main reason why I never bothered with building much anymore. With the increased rocket count, it's easy to spam them like crazy and just wipe out an entire fort with plenty of ammo to spare.

I'm not sure that was the right change to make to the scoped AR. I would have changed it to be more like a DMR. Maybe give it a slower firing rate and much higher rcoil so it's harder to place the next shot. A 33% damage nerf is a lot, but it will still be my goto gun for long range engagements.

I'll do some playing around with it though and see what I think about it.

Mikey Jr.

I'll check out the smg, but man, I still hate that gun.

A lot of this game is pretty long range. And even if there is close range, I prefer shot guns.

I don't know where smg's fit to be honest.

I'd love it to be more akin to the MP5 of cod.

Low bloom.
Low recoil
Faster rate of fire than the assault (always forget the name of the regular assault gun)
Significant drop off in damage at longer ranges
Not as accurate as assault at long range. The further the bullet travels, the more it deviates from its path.

Bit random, but when the hell did "bloom" become a weird way of saying "bullet spread?" I still think of bloom as the graphical technique.

Gator86

How do you find a gun at the beginning of the game? Fuuuuuuck. I've won one and come in top 5 a bunch of times, but I swear to God half the games I've played it takes like 5 to 10 minutes of frantic searching before I find a single gun.

Magilla

Banned
Just got our first squad win! We are still adjusting from PUBG, but are liking it. It isn't a replacement really, just a change of pace. Similar style, but the arcade feel is a nice change.

They need to upgrade the servers already.

This game is quickly reaching an unplayable state with the amount of teleporting and rubber banding that happens every single match.

StillEdge

I don’t think I’m into the building aspect of this game. So I’ll probably enjoy PUBG when it drops on Xbox. But whenever I am in the final 5 there is one person who builds a tower and I can never hit them from the floor for some reason I always hit their walls.

Cat Party

There is a weird lag that keeps happening on XB1 during combat. They really need to figure this out. The game performs great and then another player shows up and all of the sudden you lag and shots don't register. Anyone else experience this?

Sorry if old but news on cheaters and progression (in-text emphasis theirs):
To start, addressing cheaters in Fortnite is the highest priority across Epic Games. We are constantly working against both the cheaters themselves and the cheat providers. And it’s ongoing, we’re exploring every measure to ensure these cheaters are removed and stay removed from Fortnite Battle Royale and the Epic ecosystem. We don’t want to give too many clues about what we’re doing, but we are rolling out tools and will continue to do so. Thousands have been banned and we have no plans to stop!

Account Progression

In the next several weeks we’ll also roll out progression. Account progression means that you will earn stuff as you play. And it’s not just for fun - it will also help in the war against casual Cheaters and will give them less incentive to simply cheat their progression with a ban around the corner! For those persistent trolls, we’ll be continuing to work on solutions.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/battle-royale-cheaters

Oynox

What do they mean by progression that gives us an advantage against cheaters?

I think they do not mean an actual gameplay-wise advantage but more like a psychological one because we can "earn" stuff whereas cheaters just have it and thus less incentive to play.

This game is amazing. My friends and I never even knew about it until PUBG was like they are copy cats and we gonna sue.

My friends and I went hard on it last night. Such a great game and it's funny how the competition totally told me about the game!

10/10 would play it again

I think they do not mean an actual gameplay-wise advantage but more like a psychological one because we can "earn" stuff whereas cheaters just have it and thus less incentive to play.

It means that it will hopefully de-incentivize people to casually cheat as bans for cheating are account based and perma, so they'll lose anything they've earned when they catch that ban.

IIRC Epic also bans across all their games as well so a Fortnite cheater would lose access to Epic's entire catalogue.

Hoodbury

4 victory royales yesterday. So much fun. 1 solo, 1 with a group of 3 and 2 with a group of 4. Just need a duo win for the umbrella in all modes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I find killing them with kindness works better.
Cg7B8yJ.png

Second time I've been called a camper. :-/

I am an older gamer and 15 years ago I could hang with those who had fast twitch reflexes now a days not so much.

Its one thing I love about this kind of game you can play a camper style as I love stalking my targets and hiding in the shadows/around corners of buildings.

Hi my name is Heisenberg and I am a camper....

There is a weird lag that keeps happening on XB1 during combat. They really need to figure this out. The game performs great and then another player shows up and all of the sudden you lag and shots don't register. Anyone else experience this?

This cost me a win yesterday, I hope they fix it soon!!!

Incoming skins. I'm ready. Wonder how they'll handle these since the models seem to only follow the template of the two in the middle left:
066511.jpg

Well they already have a ton of character variants in PvE that use those models as bases. I think they probably have enough skins to start with.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Bit random, but when the hell did "bloom" become a weird way of saying "bullet spread?" I still think of bloom as the graphical technique.
Halo, specifically halo 3. Bloom is increasing weapon inaccuracy per shot. Usually games with bloom are 3rd person, and don't have recoil, or use recoil animations that don't effect shooting. Mass Effect 1 used bloom for example.

Pants! Just got kicked for being idle hiding in my bush. I was looking around and everything - it wasn't like I put the controller down and left it. Guess I'll have to jiggle about every so often on the movement in the future.

Top Bottom