• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune Magazine cover story: How Wii won

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
JB1981 said:
And that is all that matters to you people. It doesn't matter that the machine you support is a piece of junk. As long as it sells. As long as it sells. The Nintendo fan mantra.

As long as it sells.

But really, who could blame you after being beaten down for so long.

That's a little funny

Are you suggesting that the other two consoles aren't junk for the entry price one has to pay? 360 would be far better if had kb&M support and online was free. To get enjoyment full enjoyment of the next gen exeperience you need an hd display and xbl if you're into multiplaer titles like me. Display was already locked down, but I already spent 400 on a machine that wouldn't let play pgr2, had limited online that I had to pay for, and just wasn't bringing in the good tills GOW and LP came out. IF 360 didn't have xbla almost all my interest for the system would be gone. Wii is an easier bite in terms of money, granted I think all 3 suck for a variety of reasons they also have some gems that keep my hope alive that consoles won't suck this gen.

Pureauthor said:
No, wait are you actually trying to tell me that it was because that it couldn't be done on the PS1 that it became as 'mainstream' as it was?

Jesus Christ. REALLY?!?

I said it was an easy example of a PS2 game that could not be done on the PS1. THAT'S IT.

theBishop

Banned
ComputerNerd said:
Come to think of it, this thread in and of itself I think lends evidence to the thought that the Wii already "won".

By the level of pissed off people. Same thing happened last gen when Nintendo fans realized that the PS2 had won the generation. There were lots of pissed off people. Same thing when XBox fans realized the PS2 won.

Or when N64 fans or Saturn fans realized that the PSX won.

It appears that we're moving past the denial stage, and into anger. Not a fun stage, I must say.

I'd be a lot angrier if i were an Wii gamer exclusively, waiting for August to play my 3rd game on the system.

dammitmattt said:
Jesus Christ. REALLY?!?

I said it was an easy example of a PS2 game that could not be done on the PS1. THAT'S IT.

Okay. I give up. You tell me what you meant by this sentence.

you said:
Grand Theft Auto 3 wasn't possible on the N64/PS1, and that's about as mass market as you can get.

hyp

JB1981 said:
I remember the days when Ntards used to claim that Xbox games sold well only because of the graphics! Bububu where is the gameplay? No one cares about gameplay anymore!

Now graphics mean nothing because the Wii has enjoyed some succees.

the graphics whore in me LOLd. :lol

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
Oh, that's such a lame argument.

The line of argument as I read it was that theBishop was arguing LAIR was the type of game that would allow us to truly see what "next-gen" could do for games in terms of gameplay and you said that this would not be possible because no one would play it. That's so meen ^_^

What can I say, I'm a realist. :lol

trmas

Banned
The Wii is for casual gamers - that is the target audience by Nintendo's own admission. Also, the thing Nintendo did right is follow the trend. In Japan, portable gaming is the IN thing - hence the success of the DS which stands out from the PSP because of its features. If the PSP had been cheaper initially, it might have won (we'll never know). The Wii differentiates itself from its competitors by being distinctly different - there is nothing else like it available. It is also cheap, and graphics don't mean that much to the casual consumer that doesn't have an HDTV. If I were younger, I might have picked one up just for kicks at that price, but I am your typical 20-30 year old male with an HDTV, who gave up PC gaming and see the new generation as a good alternative. I am also a graphics snob - I want good looking games that the Wii just doesn't provide.

I am not Nintendo's target audience, though. If the PS3 were $200 cheaper it would have captured my audience right out of the gate. Blue Ray, upscaling, PS-brand games, etc... But Sony screwed themselves by becoming arrogant. It happens to all market leaders. Now, Sony is in the unique position of being behind in EVERY region - will it humble them? Who knows.

Price the PS3 at $400 and it sells like hotcakes. I think Sony knows this, but now they have to deal with MS who can and will lower their price with a good lineup of games available. I love my PS3, but mainly as a multimedia player, which will have some great games this Fall. Now? Motorstorm only goes so far...

BTW, Nintendo already won this generation no matter what - they are already profitable. MS will probably come in second, owning the United States PC gaming converts like me.

theBishop said:
I'd be a lot angrier if i were an Wii gamer exclusively, waiting for August to play my 3rd game on the system.

3rd game?

I own 7 Wii games. And 4 360 games. I haven't touched my 360 after getting bored of Gears of War. I only like console FPS's for the single player. I can't stand playing multiplayer on them. That's what my PC is for.

mcgarrett

dammitmattt said:
Jesus Christ. REALLY?!?

Why not? I think what you mean is it wouldn't have been as pretty on the PS1. Hell, you could do a Rogue-like GTA if you wanted. (Hey, somebody get on that... there's a GTA I would play)

mcgarrett said:
Why not? I think what you mean is it wouldn't have been as pretty on the PS1. Hell, you could do a Rogue-like GTA if you wanted. (Hey, somebody get on that... there's a GTA I would play)

The PS1 couldn't handle the size and scope of the environments or the amount of objects in the environments with any kind of visual fidelity without running at 2 fps.

It handled an overhead, pseudo-3D version of the game just fine, though.

JB1981

ComputerNerd said:
3rd game?

I own 7 Wii games. And 4 360 games. I haven't touched my 360 after getting bored of Gears of War. I only like console FPS's for the single player. I can't stand playing multiplayer on them. That's what my PC is for.
heh. gears of war ain't no fps.

mcgarrett

dammitmattt said:
The PS1 couldn't handle the size and scope of the environments or the amount of objects in the environments with any kind of visual fidelity without running at 2 fps.

It handled an overhead, pseudo-3D version of the game just fine, though.
So GTA is defined by its draw-in distance? How exciting.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ComputerNerd said:
3rd game?

You only have 4 360 games? Wow, I'm not even a huge xbox live gamer and I think the 360 has waaaay more than 4 worthy games.

LCGeek

formerly sane
trmas said:
The Wii is for casual gamers - that is the target audience by Nintendo's own admission. Also, the thing Nintendo did right is follow the trend. In Japan, portable gaming is the IN thing - hence the success of the DS which stands out from the PSP because of its features. If the PSP had been cheaper initially, it might have won (we'll never know). The Wii differentiates itself from its competitors by being distinctly different - there is nothing else like it available. It is also cheap, and graphics don't mean that much to the casual consumer that doesn't have an HDTV. If I were younger, I might have picked one up just for kicks at that price, but I am your typical 20-30 year old male with an HDTV, who gave up PC gaming and see the new generation as a good alternative. I am also a graphics snob - I want good looking games that the Wii just doesn't provide.

I am not Nintendo's target audience, though. If the PS3 were $200 cheaper it would have captured my audience right out of the gate. Blue Ray, upscaling, PS-brand games, etc... But Sony screwed themselves by becoming arrogant. It happens to all market leaders. Now, Sony is in the unique position of being behind in EVERY region - will it humble them? Who knows.

Price the PS3 at $400 and it sells like hotcakes. I think Sony knows this, but now they have to deal with MS who can and will lower their price with a good lineup of games available. I love my PS3, but mainly as a multimedia player, which will have some great games this Fall. Now? Motorstorm only goes so far...

BTW, Nintendo already won this generation no matter what - they are already profitable. MS will probably come in second, owning the United States PC gaming converts like me.

I highly doubt your a pc gamer if you think ms is worth converting you over as you give up a lot for a very limiting type of experience that is like a pc. PS3 is going to cost a lot with a BR, Cell, and a high end nvidia card stuck in it.

I wish we could put a hiatus on these stupid threads until the AAA games move en masse to the Wii. I look at the announced games and the AAA traditional games are all PS3 or 360. There is not one single third party sure-fire awesome game for the Wii. Why does anyone care if Wii Health gets more people to buy a Wii? It doesn't expand the traditional audience; it just brings in a new one with different tastes. Fantastic.

JB1981

Y2Kev said:
You only have 4 360 games? Wow, I'm not even a huge xbox live gamer and I think the 360 has waaaay more than 4 worthy games.
I have 18 360 games and that's after a few trade-ins.

JB1981

ComputerNerd said:
Technicalities. It plays just like one. On that thought, what do you call over-the-shoulder FPS-like shooters?
it doesn't play like an fps at all. that's actually part of its appeal.

it's a 3rd-person cover shooter.

i don't think you've played gears of war at all actually

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, everyone is out for Pureauthor's blood I see.

Don't really understand what he's saying that is so awful, but he doesn't need my help to defend himself.

All I will say is this- its a fact of human nature that we are hypocrites, basically every last one of us. It seems inescapable that many GAFers who were Sony fans once trumpeted sales and many Nintendo GAFers trumpeted the quality of the games and hardware. It follows that for many its now the opposite. End of story. This constant pointing out of human nature is growing a bit old to me- it is what it is, and not many people are immune.

Tobor

Joust Williams said:
I wish we could put a hiatus on these stupid threads until the AAA games move en masse to the Wii. I look at the announced games and the AAA traditional games are all PS3 or 360. There is not one single third party sure-fire awesome game for the Wii. Why does anyone care if Wii Health gets more people to buy a Wii? It doesn't expand the traditional audience; it just brings in a new one with different tastes. Fantastic.

Protip: Don't read sales threads unless you want to discuss sales.

mcgarrett

Joust Williams said:
Why does anyone care if Wii Health gets more people to buy a Wii? It doesn't expand the traditional audience; it just brings in a new one with different tastes. Fantastic.
It is fantastic. Traditional genres are nice, but seriously how many first person shooters can one person play? Bring on the variety.

Y2Kev

I've decided I shall take sales threads like bad sitcoms. I have a laugh track open in iTunes and I keep hitting play after every post.

wtf said:
It is fantastic. Traditional genres are nice, but seriously how many first person shooters can one person play? Bring on the variety

Variety doesn't mean anything if it's stupid. Seriously, Wii Health? That's not variety. That's retarded.

wtf2 said:
Protip: Don't read sales threads unless you want to discuss sales.

Cool, is there an "ignore" function that removes the sales threads from the thread list?

koam

Sony Defense Force Has Defeated a Monster!!
Level up!
You are now at level 2.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

Requirements to reach next level:

- If MGS4 gets ported to X360 or Wii, "The game sucked anyway"
- If FF13 gets ported to the Wii or the DS "Waggle and Touchscreen ruined it"
- Bargin that multiplatform games are still better on the PS3
- Express overenjoyment when mediocre multiplaform games get ported to the PS3
- Each exclusive from here on in should be considered the next big thing
- Ask if there are ways to ignore Sales threads on GAF

Razoric

Banned
mcgarrett said:
It is fantastic. Traditional genres are nice, but seriously how many first person shooters can one person play? Bring on the variety.

You mean like sports mini games, Mario Party 8, another Wario Ware, another Zelda (which is an exact copy of OoT), a workout health simulator (go take your blood pressure at walmart, its fun), and third party PS2 ports?

Y2Kev said:

I've grown bored of dual-analog FPS's. I find them too annoying to control.

The games I have:
Perfect Dark 0 (I bought it when I got my 360, no idea why. I never even played it. It's still sealed in it's box)
Gears of War
Madden '07
Saints Row

Games I thought about getting, but decided not to:
Oblivion - Honestly, Morrowind bored me in these types of games. Oblivion should have been an MMORPG. I can't play that kind of game anymore without the other people... being real people.
Dead Rising - I almost bought it, but the thought of a timer drove me away.
Crackdown - I'm not a Halo fan, so the demo didn't interest me. And I already had a GTA-like game in Saints Row.

I've found myself a lot more picky when games are $60.

mcgarrett

Joust Williams said:
Variety doesn't mean anything if it's stupid. Seriously, Wii Health? That's not variety. That's retarded.
iliketogoonmessageboardsandcomplainaboutgamesihaventplayed.gif

Seriously though, nobody said that every Wii game is going to be stellar -- but I'm all for opening up gaming to fresh ideas.

I'm teaching myself kanji via a new DS game and it's really helping, as a game you have extra motivation to keep learning. Not saying I would want every game to be like that, but why are so many people threatened by the notion of some games being like that?

Tobor

Joust Williams said:

Cool, is there an "ignore" function that removes the sales threads from the thread list?

Yeah, actually there is. It's called "not clicking on the thread". you should try it.

theBishop said:
I doubt $50 really affected anyone's decision to purchase a Wii... least of all the fanboys who i suspect make up the largest percentage of current Wii owners.

You really think embattled Gamecube fanboys looked at the Wii and said "$250!? WOAH!... No thanks, Nintendo!"
No. I just don't think a higher price makes it a reasonable theory that the GameCube owners are buying Wii twice as quickly as they did GameCube.

Actually, the price difference is now a bit more than $50, too. GameCube had sold fewer than 2 million in the US before its first $50 price cut, so I guess the GameCube owners who are buying Wii now are those from later 2002 who only paid $150 for their GameCube?

EDIT: For what it's worth, it looks like the US GCN price drop to $99 happened around the 4.5 million userbase point, so that's another milestone that will be interesting to see pass if they're still at $250 or even $200.

mcgarrett

Razoric said:
You mean like sports mini games, Mario Party 8, another Wario Ware, another Zelda (which is an exact copy of OoT), a workout health simulator (go take your blood pressure at walmart, its fun), and third party PS2 ports?
I don't recall saying that the Wii lineup is perfect as is... I said that getting more people involved in gaming, people that aren't necessarily enamored with the traditional genres, can be a good thing if it leads to more variety and experimentation in the long run. The hobby has become far too insular.

Y2Kev

Tobor said:
As long as you play this after your own posts.

My god, that was like getting rickrolled. I saw the URL appear in the title bar and then it sloooowly loaded and it still hasn't loaded. I just have the Quicktime Q in the window!

Wiitard

Banned
Joust Williams said:

Right you are. As far as we know, there is but a very slim chance of Wii Health being a rape sim. Therefore, it will almost certainly be lame.

stuff said:
Seriously though, nobody said that every Wii game is going to be stellar

There are ZERO third-party games that are. Time for Gamerankings-Age. And it says that the PS3 has almost double the number of 80% scorers than Wii, while the 360 has 9 times as many. So again, first get some good AAA games, then make these ridiculous threads.

NPD! MEDIA CREATE! GO GO NINTENDO!

birdchili

trmas said:
The Wii is for casual gamers - that is the target audience by Nintendo's own admission.

actually... nintendo repeatedly states that they're targeting: casual gamers, lapsed gamers, and hardcore gamers.

they do have a handful of "gamer" games coming, but the advertising and general perception of the machine is decidedly not-hardcore. many of the third party games that are coming are trying to appeal to broad demographics and have simplified controls. whether a substantial third party "hardcore games" market shows up on wii seems to still be a up in the air.

ps2 users are buying wii because the controller is nifty. if more games that appeal never show up then they might lapse or become multi-console owners, but i suspect wii game diversity is coming as a result of the installed base.

rayofash

theBishop said:

stressed.gif

Sorry, I was just trying to contemplate the amount of stupid in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom