• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 - Bathurst circuit debut

Xanadu

Banned
932731_20070417_screerhu90.jpg

LeBoef

i am glad they dumped the old cars. nothing worse than seeing some great detailled cars and then buying one ingame which has an old model.
you cant do that on a new console.
its like watching football for the first time in HD. you can never go back to SD.

standard/premium in GT was the biggest shit i have ever seen in a game. dont want that in the forza franchise. there will be plenty of dlc and plenty of new forza iterations. we ll get all our cars.

its not about autovista. its about the ingame models

/edit
and you never know what will come with fm6. imagine we ll still had fm2 models in there... horrible

I'm stoked that Spa and Mt Panorama are in, but someone needs to tell the guy taking the pictures for Turn10 that sun flare and god rays are not the only photos you can take.

As for the car models, it's about time they were updated, the developers were informed of the problems years ago, ad infinitum. And as we are posting random pics, here's one of the models that MUST be replaced :-

P.S. Xanadu, you'd make a great tabloid hack.lol

Gestault

Some FM2 shots more indicative of the actual game might be in order. Courtesy of DDMv2 on the GTPlanet boards:

As decent as these looked at the time, obviously they'd be out of place even in F4, let alone a next-generation F5.

Seriously though, I appreciate T10 sticking to consistent detail levels for game content. If GT5 had a few extra cars at the PS2+ detail level, I would have thought of it like a bonus, but no joke, 80% of the cars in that game were at that bar. Since that effected things like playable camera angles and customization/upgrade options, that just felt weak. I hope both companies stick with consistency over raw number wars if it means compromising things like that.

Dead Man

What am I, chopped liver? ;P

To an extent, yes... but I'm pretty sure those have had some kind of filter applied in Photoshop before being uploaded. I think, anyway. Dithering on the fence in the first photo I don't think you could ever get directly from photo mode.

Since you live interstate, yes ;)

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
I'm still not sure if I'll get the Xbone yet, how good (or bad) FM5 will be a decisive factor.
I'm not asking for much, well, apart from the weather and daytime conditions which unfortunately has been cut, probably because the game has be ready at the console launch.

- new and more realistic physics, seems to be the case considering the demo's feedback from those who played it.
- open wheel cars... fuck yeah! let's hope its not only single-seater race cars... Some Caterham/Lotus/Ariel would be nice.
- better tire and fuel wear/consumption, they were so laughable in FM4 that it made endurance race strategies meaningless.
- and some pit animations please, having an invisible crew changing your tires and refuelling your car is annoying, it may be only a small detail but it greatly adds to the 'immersion'.
- updated 'contents' (bodykits and wheels), its 2013 already, stop recycling them from FM3 Turn10!
- updated and accurate car modelling please, F40/S2000/etc...
- balanced PI index! some cars may be clearly faster than others in real life, but having only one or two dominating in each class is a joke.
- better car selection, its a damn racing game, some cars clearly have no reason to be there. Let's hope that the reduction of the number of cars = refined car list.

Fingers crossed...

Majanew

Banned
Some FM2 shots more indicative of the actual game might be in order. Courtesy of DDMv2 on the GTPlanet boards:

As decent as these looked at the time, obviously they'd be out of place even in F4, let alone a next-generation F5.

Seriously though, I appreciate T10 sticking to consistent detail levels for game content. If GT5 had a few extra cars at the PS2+ detail level, I would have thought of it like a bonus, but no joke, 80% of the cars in that game were at that bar. Since that effected things like playable camera angles and customization/upgrade options, that just felt weak. I hope both companies stick with consistency over raw number wars if it means compromising things like that.

900x506 screens with heavy compression? Yeah, that's FM2 alright. :/

p3tran

Banned
I put 100's of hours into FM2 and don't remember it looking like that, even in photo mode.

well, it's been over 6(!) years. maybe your mem needs jogging. :)
graphically speaking, the worst thing this game had was the car reflections, the way they where programmed.
they where slow, overdone and produced a shitload of shimmering.
practically, almost every single edge of a car's surface would glitter in jaggies. especially in thin details.

still, wonderful game, and for its time a pioneer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWW9jUVuhxo

edit: lol, finding HD footage of f2 is harder than i thought :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrCGX_pe6Rk&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8TZnuJrCdE&hd=1

eso76

Watching fm4 replay on road America right now.
The harsh lighting here sort of reminds me of fm2. It's not bad, and you could recreate the same lighting conditions IRL, but you may want to avoid that if IQ is not at least horizon level..

Anyway, doesn't Rush launch in the next few days in the US ?
Considering the strong partnership between the two I would think they may want to release some trailer/tribute to take advantage of the buzz surrounding the movie, right ? I mean, they have been spamming clips from the movie for a while now, they had Hemworth (sp ?) at e3 party, they f'n have lauda's and Hunt's cars in the game ffs, it would only make sense to blow us away with some classic f1 racing on the ring (spa ?) right ????

A new commercial for theatres maybe ??
Man t10 would want to miss the chance, RIGHT ?

p3tran

Banned
If only people didn't see the world through camera lenses that overexpose the what we're seeing.

nah, real life its worse. try staring at the real sun.

what you could say, is that the sun is blinding in the ring for about 15 seconds out of 7 minutes in that video. but then again, sun is kind of low and trees do their job nicely.

I like to think that the gamespot member who took that was playing on a badly calibrated tv and the crushed blacks made it seem better... oh who am I kidding lol.

That photo accompanied Gamespot's preview...written by Brian Ekberg. I'm guessing he probably left that one off the ol' resume.

Gestault

"Turn10, if you could just change the the sun by making it not appear as bright as it does in real life at racing events, a lot of people here would be real happy."

LCfiner

"Turn10, if you could just change the the sun by making it not appear as bright as it does in real life at racing events, a lot of people here would be real happy."

1. turn 10 has control over time of day so they could set it so that the sun is not just peeking out just below the upper part of the window.

2. in real life, you can move your head or put down a sun visor to prevent the sun from blinding you. doesn’t work in the game (but, hey, there’s an incentive for some sort of kinect head tracking support)

3. since it has been present on every single demoed track, I’m not convinced T10 is putting in the sun for any sort of realism. It’s an effect to make things seem more flashy or cool and a lot of people find it obnoxious as it’s not subtle at all.

Gestault

1. turn 10 has control over time of day so they could set it so that the sun is not just peeking out just below the upper part of the window.

2. in real life, you can move your head or put down a sun visor to prevent the sun form blinding you. doesn’t work in the game (but, hey, there’s a reason for some sort of head tracking support)

3. since it has been present on every single demoed track, I’m not convinced T10 is putting in the sun for any sort of realism. It’s an effect to make things seem more flashy or cool and a lot of people find it obnoxious as it’s not subtle at all.

Almost all races take place during daylight hours that cause that exact problem for drivers. You're complaining that the sun isn't subtle, and that it resembles the experience of track racing. I guess all the real-life footage we see of races from the driver's perspective where the sun is in the driver's eyes sometimes are because the race was poorly designed?

LCfiner

Almost all races take place during daylight hours that cause that exact problem for drivers. You're complaining that the sun isn't subtle, and that it resembles the experience of track racing. I guess all the real-life footage we see of races from the driver's perspective where the sun is in the driver's eyes sometimes are because the race was poorly designed?

No, I’m saying Turn 10 isn’t subtle. They’re throwing that shit in our faces to say “look, next gen, folks!”

Trying to make an argument about realism when there are many other aspects of the game, like time-of-day progression and weather that are not simulated isn’t a compelling argument. also, a rewind button.

Plus, the sun also has lens flare in a lot of these shots. as if our eyes were cameras.

Gestault

No, I’m saying Turn 10 isn’t subtle. They’re throwing that shit in our faces to say “look, next gen, folks!”

Trying to make an argument about realism when there are many other aspects of the game, like time-of-day progression and weather that are not simulated isn’t a compelling argument. also, a rewind button.

Plus, the sun also has lens flare in a lot of these shots. as if our eyes were cameras.

Realistic glare from daytime racing has been presented in some of the promo materials for Forza 5, and a visually realistic element of racing has been presented in gameplay when other unrelated elements aren't in place. Your concerns don't seem all that reasonable when you actually spell them out.

p3tran

Banned

I put up a post comparing forza laguna seca to what the "beasts" have, simbin and iracing.

do you mind telling me YOUR opinion? go look at them videos and tell me which version of the track looks better, and which ones look "sterile"

sun was in forza games from the minute they could do it. its not "news" not even five years ago.

about camera effects, I can understand the fact that out of the millions that play forza, maybe a good few thousand have real life track experience. the rest 99.9% follow the sport as a fan of the sport, and not as a race driver.
for those people, "realistic" is how they've seen it on tv. (lens flare)

in real life if you have the sun in front of you while your eyes try to focus on the turns of a 5m wide road ahead while going in excess of 150, the effect in your eyes is worse than lens effect. its pure and all white, and instantaneous loss of bearings if driver not ready to handle it.

did you think that Ari Vatanen for example, in the famous pikes peak video drives with only one hand in 4th gear, holding the other as a shade, because of ...lens flare? or something that is WAY more dramatic for the eye?
real effect is way more pronounced than either tv cameras or games are able to display it.

GDFOJ1Y.jpg

also, rewind button is very useful both for rookies when playing and for experienced players when trying stuff.
if it existing shakes your reality, you can always turn off from the menu...

2SeeKU

...did you think that Ari Vatanen for example, in the famous pikes peak video drives with only one hand in 4th gear, holding the other as a shade, because of ...lens flare? or something that is WAY more dramatic for the eye?
real effect is way more pronounced than either tv cameras or games are able to display it.

GDFOJ1Y.jpg

Thank you! I have no issue with Turn10's implementation as it just adds to the realism in my opinion. I can understand it's not for everyone though...

Emwitus

I put up a post comparing forza laguna seca to what the "beasts" have, simbin and iracing.

do you mind telling me YOUR opinion? go look at them videos and tell me which version of the track looks better, and which ones look "sterile"

sun was in forza games from the minute they could do it. its not "news" not even five years ago.

about camera effects, I can understand the fact that out of the millions that play forza, maybe a good few thousand have real life track experience. the rest 99.9% follow the sport as a fan of the sport, and not as a race driver.
for those people, "realistic" is how they've seen it on tv. (lens flare)

in real life if you have the sun in front of you while your eyes try to focus on the turns of a 5m wide road ahead while going in excess of 150, the effect in your eyes is worse than lens effect. its pure and all white, and instantaneous loss of bearings if driver not ready to handle it.

did you think that Ari Vatanen for example, in the famous pikes peak video drives with only one hand in 4th gear, holding the other as a shade, because of ...lens flare? or something that is WAY more dramatic for the eye?

GDFOJ1Y.jpg

also, rewind button is very useful both for rookies when playing and for experienced players when trying stuff.
if it existing shakes your reality, you can always turn off from the menu...

Turn 1o's glare doesn't even look like that. It's just a blinding white light that fills the screen

p3tran

Banned
Turn 1o's glare doesn't even look like that. It's just a blinding white light that fills the screen
then its more on par with what I described happens irl, isn't it?
the effect in your eyes is worse than lens effect. its pure and all white, and instantaneous loss of bearings if driver not ready to handle it.
now if after the full blinding white, they can also change the bearing of the car by a few(to a lot) degrees relative to where you were if you dont lift your hand a-la Vatanen within a reasonable response time to the sun glare, then that would get full marks for realism from me :) and a good use of kinect

*ps
yeah, xanadu, best news is I might be getting gta tomorrow, so i wont be bugging helios much.
but if you expect BIG FORZA NEWS TOMORROW, then you are trolling bro :D

The_Monk

It seems FORZA 5 will be in TGS fellow GAFfers.

Hope we can see a little more of the game instead the same track or the same couple of cars (or even the same talk in the interview with the same drivatar info).

Seanspeed

Banned
Either that or change the time of day for some of the tracks or something. When there's too much of it, its annoying. Its a video game. They aren't bound by the laws of reality. Do people get upset because the Bernese Alps track wouldn't be possible in real-life because of the lack of safety standards? Realism isn't always better.

Not wanting to start a war here, but is Forza 4's photo mode able to produce those really real realistic snaps that GT6's photo mode often does? Kinda looks as if the shaders and lighting just aren't on par.

derFeef

Not wanting to start a war here, but is Forza 4's photo mode able to produce those really real realistic snaps that GT6's photo mode often does? Kinda looks as if the shaders and lighting just aren't on par.

Not really, Forza is more "stylized" I would say, it never tried to immitate real life lighting. Intentionally or not... I don't know.

...did you think that Ari Vatanen for example, in the famous pikes peak video drives with only one hand in 4th gear, holding the other as a shade, because of ...lens flare? or something that is WAY more dramatic for the eye?
real effect is way more pronounced than either tv cameras or games are able to display it...

Some of this is true, if the camera lens has the aperture set correctly, it can minimize the brightness of the sunlight we see on camera even though with the driver's bare eyes it might be blinding. In that Ari video he doesn't have sunglasses on or a tinted visor and the sun is practically in his face. Whenever I race (in real life) and it's early morning or evening, or any chance of the sun being low and directly in my line of sight I wear sunglasses (my helmet visor has no tint whatsoever). Only on occasion is it still a bit hard to see even with sunglasses. The rest of the time I've never had any issue with the sun being high in the sky and due to elevation change or whatever it might start peaking through the windshield.

But what we see in these Forza 5 videos is the sun just barely showing itself at the top of the windshield and it's absolutely blinding. Maybe that's a legit effect as seen through the camera due to it's settings (if we pretend), but we're supposed to be viewing the race from the eyes of a driver.. and the way they show it there's not a big chance it would really blind you like that. And you can't say "hey Turn 10, when I drive I have really dark sunglasses, so cut out the blinding sun effect!"

It's just next-gen "bling" that looks good in screenshots/video but annoys the player. There has to be a better balance of showing the sun without completely blinding the player.

p3tran

Banned
It's just next-gen "bling" that looks good in screenshots/video but annoys the player. There has to be a better balance of showing the sun without completely blinding the player.
of course it is bling. (the lens flare) but sun was like that (blinding) in forza way before forza 5 video appeared.
and of course there can be better balances for everything.
last time I checked nobody put forza in the "perfect 100%" pedestal here ;)
its just not as game-breaking as some people comment it to be. I think its a good feature. overdone reflections (mainly in past forzas, before 4) bothered me way more than the direct sun glare tbh. but the sun blinding effect was there, only with less ..lens flare effect :)

Top Bottom