• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 - Bathurst circuit debut

No unicorns is cool by me, having to jump through hoops to obtain a certain model is a turn off.

Besides if the car count is that much lower, hiding them away would be mental.

Mascot

Xboxygen: How many cars will there be in Forza 5?

Dan Greenawalt: We have not yet provided an exact figure, but there will be many

- Xboxygen: Is there will be more than in Forza 4?
Dan Greenawalt: No, there will be less

- Xboxygen: But all will be available in Autovista mode, right?
Dan Greenawalt: Yes, all cars are available in this mode

Less cars, but all Autovista.

Crazy priorities.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
In an interview, Dan said that not all tracks will be laser scanned. Only the ones that they were not happy with.

Also, FM5 will not have unicorns.

That massive bait and switch...

Starts as all tracks are laser scanned than as soon as they show a track which obviously was not laser scanned it becomes only tracks we aren't happy with...

T10 being T10 again.

Galdelico

Crazy priorities.
On a very personal level I approve it.
I've never been a fan of things like 'premium cars/standard cars', 'autovista/no autovista' and I tend to prefer consistency over sheer quantity. Also, I'm sure the game won't come out with like... 50 cars.

Portugeezer

Added the new track image to the ol' collection.

UjhDvle.jpg

tumblr_mc4wdjnV3b1rp8gz7o1_1280.png

The_Monk

Crazy priorities.

While I liked checking one car here and there in Autovista I really would prefer to have more cars too fellow GAFfer. Nothing wrong with having a bigger choice.

Also, did I miss some gameplay where we can listen the game's Soundtrack? And by soundtrack I really mean the engines screaming not real music (it's the way to play Forza in my opinion). I really hope they do a nice job in the Audio department.

Pallie

Banned
I guess we're not getting any info concerning the Fanatec situation anytime soon, eh? All the DRM drama, the high price and mandatory kinect I was willing to overlook to get my Forza fix, but the prospect of not being able to use my CSR is a dealbreaker. You've inspired me MS- to pick up a PS3 come December to play GT6. At least I know my expensive peripheral will work with it. And most likely GT7 a few years from now.

madmackem

While I liked checking one car here and there in Autovista I really would prefer to have more cars too fellow GAFfer. Nothing wrong with having a bigger choice.

Also, did I miss some gameplay where we can listen the game's Soundtrack? And by soundtrack I really mean the engines screaming not real music (it's the way to play Forza in my opinion). I really hope they do a nice job in the Audio department.

Yeah i did it maybe twice, id take more cars or more tracks and having zero autovista.

p3tran

Banned
so basically its good that gta v drops next week, i guess i will be busy for a little while there, like until forza goes gold or something..

A middle aged video game producer poses for the press having recently invested thousands of man hours and millions of dollars future proofing assets for the next generation console simulator.
9IgxEUQ.jpg

A middle aged video game producer poses for the press having recently squandered thousands of man hours and millions of dollars future proofing assets for the next generation console simulator.
D3YW2hD.jpg

Mascot

I don't think the priorities are making them available in Autovista, but making them all be at the same standard of details.

The kind of meticulous details which are required for Autovista, but are totally unnecessary when actually playing the game.

Don't get me wrong, I've always thought the number of cars in FM (and GT) are too many, especially when more are released behind pay walls every month, and especially when the resources could have gone into producing more tracks (which give any racing game longevity). But to have fewer cars just so those included can be flown around once or twice, if at all... well, i don't subscribe to that philosophy.

What's more important: looking at cars or driving them?

eso76

Crazy priorities.

i don't know, sometimes in the future it will be good to have every car modeled down to their engine and i do think that at this point it is worth it to invest time to work on the definitive model for each car, one that will never need to be touched again, this or next next gen.

Having said that, if that meant cutting the number of cars down to 120 (yeah, BADNED said it's more than that, but more as in 140 ? 180 ? or as in 350+ ?) i would agree that was indeed a bad decision.

But I STILL DON'T BELIEVE AUTOVISTA HERE MEANS WHAT IT MEANT FOR FM4.
I still think it's just doors.

Frankly, cars like, i dunno, the 2008 citroen C4 have no reason of being in the game, unfortunately.
Granted, the lod0 model was absolutely perfect and would have never looked out of place in the game, but if it somehow required additional work, then i can see why they would axe those cars.

saladine1

i don't know, sometimes in the future it will be good to have every car modeled down to their engine and i do think that at this point it is worth it to invest time to work on the definitive model for each car, one that will never need to be touched again, this or next next gen.

Having said that, if that meant cutting the number of cars down to 120 (yeah, BADNED said it's more than that, but more as in 140 ? 180 ? or as in 350+ ?) i would agree that was indeed a bad decision.

But I STILL DON'T BELIEVE AUTOVISTA HERE MEANS WHAT IT MEANT FOR FM4.
I still think it's just doors.

Frankly, cars like, i dunno, the 2008 citroen C4 have no reason of being in the game, unfortunately.
Granted, the lod0 model was absolutely perfect and would have never looked out of place in the game, but if it somehow required additional work, then i can see why they would axe those cars.

There are plenty of duplicates and 'samey' cars in the game. I wouldn't die if they trimmed the fat with those. I will however be a little upset if the quirkier, less used in games kind of cars get lost. Otherwise, we will see the most popular and overused cars feature in the game.

But yeah, it certainly seems that Turn 10 are future-proofing which is a good thing I guess. FM6 should be the definitive FM. But then again, we've been saying things like that for a while now...

Shaneus

That massive bait and switch...

Starts as all tracks are laser scanned than as soon as they show a track which obviously was not laser scanned it becomes only tracks we aren't happy with...

T10 being T10 again.
So... will Laguna Seca be laser scanned or not, given that they initially said all tracks would be, then when we saw LS it was just the old track with some newer assets (why reveal it at all then? Surely some other track must've been more complete?) but with the promise that the laser scanning would be implanted into that track closer to launch, now there's info that only the tracks where it's deemed necessary will have them (probably Bathurst and the other new tracks, maybe not Nurburgring? Or even LS?).

It sucks that there's basically nothing to go on about the contents of the game at this stage. If not actual graphics (which is understandable) I don't think it'd be asking too much to get a ballpark figure of the number of cars or tracks in the game, especially considering those numbers have been massive points of contention over almost the entire series (vs. Driveclub, which has nothing before it for comparison).

There are plenty of duplicates and 'samey' cars in the game. I wouldn't die if they trimmed the fat with those. I will however be a little upset if the quirkier, less used in games kind of cars get lost. Otherwise, we will see the most popular and overused cars feature in the game.

But yeah, it certainly seems that Turn 10 are future-proofing which is a good thing I guess. FM6 should be the definitive FM. But then again, we've been saying things like that for a while now...
I bet the XB gets cut. Love to see it replaced by something like a GTHO Phase III, but lol like that'd ever happen. Gotta make way for dem US muscle cars.

saladine1

So... will Laguna Seca be laser scanned or not, given that they initially said all tracks would be, then when we saw LS it was just the old track with some newer assets (why reveal it at all then? Surely some other track must've been more complete?) but with the promise that the laser scanning would be implanted into that track closer to launch, now there's info that only the tracks where it's deemed necessary will have them (probably Bathurst and the other new tracks, maybe not Nurburgring? Or even LS?).

It sucks that there's basically nothing to go on about the contents of the game at this stage. If not actual graphics (which is understandable) I don't think it'd be asking too much to get a ballpark figure of the number of cars or tracks in the game, especially considering those numbers have been massive points of contention over almost the entire series (vs. Driveclub, which has nothing before it for comparison).

I bet the XB gets cut. Love to see it replaced by something like a GTHO Phase III, but lol like that'd ever happen. Gotta make way for dem US muscle cars.

I certainly hope they don't cut the XB. More Aussie classics the better I say.
But yeah, the XY GT would be amazing to see. Original interior alone is worth the price of a small car these days. Would love to see it in Forza Vista.
Man, still can't believe how much they are going for. There's one in Carsales going for $450,000!

shinnn

Dan mention the friction differentiation between Spa and Laguna thanks to laser scanning, but it is already present in the older tracks, isn't? One thing that I liked a lot in Forza tracks are how distinguishable they are from each other.. track surface, grip, lighting, skyboxes, trees. While the others games usually uses the same assets over all tracks.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yep i'm sure they're not laser scanning infineon, Hockenheim, Indianapolis etc.

also from the same page on fm.net

Xboxygen: How many cars will there be in Forza 5?

Dan Greenawalt: We have not yet provided an exact figure, but there will be many

- Xboxygen: Is there will be more than in Forza 4?
Dan Greenawalt: No, there will be less

- Xboxygen: But all will be available in Autovista mode, right?
Dan Greenawalt: Yes, all cars are available in this mode

Heh, thanks for asking 'more or less' but forgetting to ask if it's "less" as in "150" or "less" as in "450"

Also thanks for not asking if "only old tracks we were not happy with were laser scanned" means all old tracks are included or not :p

it always blows me away how # of cars is such an important thing to media outlets and casual racers with virtually zero talk of number of tracks. i really dont get it. if anything, BOTH should be constantly spammed as talking points.

Shaneus

That is bloody brilliant! I wish I knew someone with a 360 now.
What am I, chopped liver? ;P

from forzamotorsport.fr

The photo mode of Forza 4 is so impressive......
forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-599-gto-par-rokusho009-466568.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-599-gto-par-rokusho009-466570.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-599-gto-par-rokusho009-466572.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-599-gto-par-rokusho009-466567.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-599-gto-par-rokusho009-466569.jpg

forza-motorsport-4-ferrari-599-gto-par-rokusho009-466571.jpg
To an extent, yes... but I'm pretty sure those have had some kind of filter applied in Photoshop before being uploaded. I think, anyway. Dithering on the fence in the first photo I don't think you could ever get directly from photo mode.

G Rom

Speaking of FM4 photos :
mobile.304purc.jpg

mobile.31ils1i.jpg

mobile.32g4ays.jpg

mobile.33gvs19.jpg

Can't wait to take some in FM5 ! :)

Edit : Yeah the 599 GTO ones are definitely edited

I am not buying an XBOX ONE at launch, but I have been a member of the Forza community for four years and am comfortable weighing in about the reduction of cars. I think it's silly.

Autovista was fantastic for the small sample of cars it included. Part of the joy for me, however, was listening to Clarkson talk about each one. Is he recording video for all 160+ cars this time around? I doubt it. I don't understand where T10's priorities are.

Ironically, the reduced car count in Forza 5 reminds me of the XBOX 360's launch with Project Gotham Racing 3. PGR3 featured fewer cars and focused predominantly on super cars. I believe the tagline was "Life begins at 170mph." It was a great game but bested by PGR4 in nearly every way.

Forza 5 will be incredible, but I believe 6 will be the game many of us really want (300+ cars, night/weather, etc).

shandy706

Personally I love (Auto)Forzavista mode. I also love photo-mode.

I like those things almost as much as the racing. Heck, there are people that buy Forza JUST to paint and/or photograph cars.

I'll contribute to the shots with this one I took.

0xru.png

p3tran

Banned
Forza 5 will be incredible, but I believe 6 will be the game many of us really want (300+ cars, night/weather, etc).

yes of course, forza 6 will be better than foza 5, but again i say forza 5 day 1 is the best that could happen.
and forza 5 is a much bigger step up from forza 4, than what 4 to 3 or even 4 to 2 was. ;)

also, 300 cars is not entirely out of the realm of possibility for forza 5.
and if it aint shipping with that many, there better be at least one "car + track pack" per month! or fortnight! (helios write it down dude! :) )

edit:
i see your forza pics, and I raise you a pic and a gif

ibc79TIFETlhqZ.gif

pixlexic

Banned
the number of cars is a dumb selling point. I wish they could add some metrics to these games so we can see the percentage of cars used because I bet it would be the same six cars in the %90.

Seanspeed

Banned
In an interview, Dan said that not all tracks will be laser scanned. Only the ones that they were not happy with.
So we were lied to again by Turn 10 PR.

I really think they need to make some changes to that department. Its pretty bad when we get lied to and its not even unexpected.

the number of cars is a dumb selling point. I wish they could add some metrics to these games so we can see the percentage of cars used because I bet it would be the same six cars in the %90.

Its not dumb at all. More cars is always better.

Just not when it means other important aspects are diminished as a result.

I think having less cars than previously is a big disappointment. I can live with it, but its disappointing still.

So we were lied to again by Turn 10 PR.

I really think they need to make some changes to that department. Its pretty bad when we get lied to and its not even unexpected.

Were we lied to though? I think it's fair to say misled but I can't say I've seen a quote that guaranteed they'd all been scanned.

Not to say such a quote doesn't exist.

But yeah their marketing sucks, unless of course they want to create shitstorms and negative publicity in which case somebody should be congratulated on a job well done.

Seanspeed

Banned
Were we lied to though? I think it's fair to say misled but I can't say I've seen a quote that guaranteed they'd all been scanned.

Not to say such a quote doesn't exist.

But yeah their marketing sucks, unless of course they want to create shitstorms and negative publicity in which case somebody should be congratulated on a job well done.
They said specifically that ALL tracks were scanned. I'm sure somebody else can find the quote. I'm not gonna go looking for it.

eso76

also, 300 cars is not entirely out of the realm of possibility for forza 5.
and if it aint shipping with that many, there better be at least one "car + track pack" per month! or fortnight! (helios write it down dude! :) )

well "hundreds" of cars should mean 3 or more hundreds in my book.
it would be incredibly lame if it meant '2' hundreds and of course simply false advertising if it meant less than 2.

as for dlc packs..well, if every car needs to be autovista I can't see them releasing ten new ones each month.

that is if forzavista is the same as fm4 autovista, which I still don't think is the case. Doors, I can believe: Interiors are there and modeled in great detail already for every car. But going back and modeling the engine in Av detail for "hundreds" of cars..we'll see.

They should make a TrackVista.

Commentary, history, details, the ability to swoosh around the circuits, read the named corners (with little elevation and camber graphics) and driver anecdotes.

That and I've always loved the idea of mastering courses in the Shift games.

m23

They should make a TrackVista.

Commentary, history, details, the ability to swoosh around the circuits, read the named corners (with little elevation and camber graphics) and driver anecdotes.

That and I've always loved the idea of mastering courses in the Shift games.

Oh man, that would be awesome, great idea.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd love track forzavista, but then we'd have all sorts of complaining about wasted resources (which i'd probably agree with).

screenshot time again? heres my exposure-merged beemer. pardon the watermarks.

Top Bottom