• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 - Bathurst circuit debut

eso76

While understandable, it kills the hype a little bit. And Xbox One could use some game media.

You see..T10 basically revealed all major stuff right away with FM4, and had little to announce in the months leading to release to keep the hype from wearing.

It was the community who suggested T10 used a different approach, drop the bombshells near release to have maximum hype around the time the game launches.

I would think that, while frustrating for us, waiting to show Lauda vs Hunt at Spa, or the new laser scanned nurburgring, or 24 cars races etc until closer to release would help sales.
Of course the situation is different here, though, since you probably need to preorder your console like...right now, if you want to play FM5 at launch

And yes, like i stated before, i find it kind of worrying that T10 stil isn't sure what their game is going to look like. It's a bit like FM2 launch when the dev "knew FM2 would be available on -date- they just didn't know what game it was going to be".

p3tran

Banned
Fair call... although I wouldn't have thought that 150MHz would make that drastic a difference to their development plans.
10% cpu - 5% gpu extra is something i would want to tap on if I was t10
its not like they had this BEAST to begin with for 1080/60 ;)

And yes, like i stated before, i find it kind of worrying that T10 stil isn't sure what their game is going to look like. It's a bit like FM2 launch when the dev "knew FM2 would be available on -date- they just didn't know what game it was going to be".
T10 is a lot better than forza 2 era (not that f2 was not fantastic), in the sense that t10 is a more experienced and larger studio, also more established i would say and focused to their business.
also, here we have not the case of forza2, the release is here set in stone and cannot move since the time it was decided that forza would be a day1 game.
you can expect that all the features they have announced until now will be in, and if something changes either in those or the graphics, it will only be for improvement and for nothing else.
of course nobody expects that what we will finally get on day1 is the 100% of capabilities of xbone or the best forza xbone will ever look, but i expect that it will be the best of what they can output day1, having the machine work as close to 100% as they can.

FM2 was the craziest.

I'm expecting FM5 to be the same, if not worse. These guys are really under the gun. Stuff like direct feed gets backburnered until is representative of retail, which is like ten minutes before it has to go gold. BTW, I think that's the right way to go. I fine with that.

Not to say that's not the case for every dev, but T10 seem to end up with their hair on fire pretty regularly.

despite its flaws, i preferred forza 2 to 3

Yeah I do think they took a few steps backwards in some respects, it's still a great drive today, I like the gamyness of the UI and menus, track list left a lot to be desired though.

The Tofu-R leak spoke of nerfing the physics somewhat and the amount of stuff cut made the jump to 3 feel smaller than it could have been.

Really hoping Forza 5 goes back to a more sensible and natural camera placement, in 4 it's facing down so under braking I get a face full of asphalt and can't see shit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
its been a looong time since i've played 2, but didnt it have far less assisted driving then 3 - even with both having all configurable assists set to off? i seem to remember fm3 feeling like the cars had a shit ton more grip, and in that sense i too preferred fm2. but fm3 had rally di positano, so it clearly is the better game. the best in the series in fact.

please be in fm5.

Xanadu

Banned
its been a looong time since i've played 2, but didnt it have far less assisted driving then 3 - even with both having all configurable assists set to off? i seem to remember fm3 feeling like the cars had a shit ton more grip, and in that sense i too preferred fm2. but fm3 had rally di positano, so it clearly is the better game. the best in the series in fact.

please be in fm5.

yea 3 had too much grip, power rwd supercars would hardly wheel spin, it ruined the game for me tbh, and they made the chase came worse. it did have a cockpit view but it was abysmal

Seanspeed

Banned
The only thing Forza 2 did better was the online aspect. Everything else was inferior, including the physics. The changes to Forza 3 were not a matter of adding more grip. It was about how that grip was handled with the weight transfer and tire model.

op_ivy

The only thing Forza 2 did better was the online aspect. Everything else was inferior, including the physics. The changes to Forza 3 were not a matter of adding more grip. It was about how that grip was handled with the weight transfer and tire model.

while i'm sure those physics were improved over 2, there definitely were some odd things in 3 as well. as xanadu mentioned, RWD cars had crazy grip. iirc, they would burn out if you floored it from a stand still (as they should) but if you were just creeping along, they wouldnt.

p3tran

Banned
in forza 2 the loss of grip felt more realistic. be it loosing control and power struggling to re-gain traction, be it what happened with loss of traction in collisions with other cars. (something I have noticed (the only thing that caught my eye in a bad way) that happens in f5 footage is that in high class - high speed races, both your car and AI cars seem to have tremendous/unrealistic amounts of grip when bumping each other :[ )
I agree with those of you that say that it was kind of toned down in f3.

hope what i mentioned gets fixed in forza 5. I mean, I understand "extra grip in collisions" as a feature for rookie/stupid players, but its something I'd want in my sim game to have an option for realistic traction/collisions on/off.

Xanadu

Banned
in forza 2 the loss of grip felt more realistic. be it loosing control and power struggling to re-gain traction, be it what happened with loss of traction in collisions with other cars. (something I have noticed (the only thing that caught my eye in a bad way) that happens in f5 footage is that in high class - high speed races, both your car and AI cars seem to have tremendous/unrealistic amounts of grip when bumping each other :[ )
I agree with those of you that say that it was kind of toned down in f3.

hope what i mentioned gets fixed in forza 5. I mean, I understand "extra grip in collisions" as a feature for rookie/stupid players, but its something I'd want in my sim game to have an option for realistic traction/collisions on/off.

agreed

eso76

The Tofu-R leak spoke of nerfing the physics somewhat and the amount of stuff cut made the jump to 3 feel smaller than it could have been.

I dont know, 2 felt more 'serious', but the jump to fm3 was huge, the most significant in the series I think. You may think it was a jump in the wrong direction, but the amount of content and work that went into it was remarkable.
2 to 3 saw *every* car remodeled in 10x the polycount. OK, so a few models were mostly smoothed out versions of the originals, but still each had a cockpit and more customisation options, there were many new tracks, including the behemoths Montserrat, Positano and Fujimi, that drove the series to new directions and opened up more possibilities.
3 to 4 in comparison was a much smaller jump, content-wise, it felt like fm3 perfected.
A much better game, thanks to physics mostly, but I can't help thinking a lot of the stuff T10 was working on for inclusion in fm4 was instead saved for a next gen sequel..

No real problems with FM3 but thanks to the barebones FM2 it felt bigger than it was, still plays nice today.

Considering the visual jump from 2-4 (not without compromise) I can't help but wonder just how great the later games will look, crazy having seen next to nothing of 5 yet.

Xanadu

Banned
No real problems with FM3 but thanks to the barebones FM2 it felt bigger than it was, still plays nice today.

Considering the visual jump from 2-4 (not without compromise) I can't help but wonder just how great the later games will look, crazy having seen next to nothing of 5 yet.

i really hope they release a 1080p 60fps direct feed video like driveclub did (well minus the fps)

Be nice wouldn't it.

Maybe for the first ever in a Forza game the tunnel section of Prague made me go 'Wow' and yet they've shown no real direct feed gameplay. They have no problems showing the game off to press or visitors of the shows though.

Edit: sorry eso you're right about both, I'd forgotten.

Neither video was HQ enough to judge really.

Actually take back what I just said, don't think I'd even seen the 12 minute Prague before now, assumed the video with Dan talking in the bottom was the only direct feed from there.

eso76

Be nice wouldn't it.

Maybe for the first ever in a Forza game the tunnel section of Prague made me go 'Wow' and yet they've shown no real direct feed gameplay. They have no problems showing the game off to press or visitors of the shows though.

There is direct feed of Prague, though.
And Laguna seca, actually, although that is plagued by jaggies

p3tran

Banned
I wouldnt expect proper uncompressed direct feed until game is gold or something.

I guess they will release some kind of videos until then though, like the two they already have.
anyways text descriptions will do nice for me until they're done.

that amazon.fr thingy stated something in the lines of "run in the best racetracks AND CITIES".
we saw Prague already. what else could be there?

saladine1

After the Bathurst announce I thought we were already.... :'(
..and then some.

Believe me when I say that Aussies are tremendously grateful and excited about the prospect of racing on Mount Panorama. The auto forums are buzzing with anticipation.

Just need some footage. If not videos, then at least audio. I know that would keep the rabid fans in check...at least for a little while..

Greenawalt, do it.

dPy2HLu.gif

LeBoef

..and then some.

Believe me when I say that Aussies are tremendously grateful and excited about the prospect of racing on Mount Panorama. The auto forums are buzzing with anticipation.

Just need some footage. If not videos, then at least audio. I know that would keep the rabid fans in check...at least for a little while..

Greenawalt, do it.

dPy2HLu.gif

no way.
as soon as we get something we want more!

give us neeeews
-> openwheelers are ingame
which ones... give us neeeeews
-> indy
ok nice, what else. give us neeeeews
-> 2 classic f1 cars
nice. give us news
-> 1080p, 60fps
give us traaaacks
-> spa ingame
give us neeeews
-> laserscanned the tracks
give us detaiiills
-> not now
bashing... give us neeews
-> bathurst ingame
give us neeeews
-> no more fm2 cars ingame. all revamped
give us neeews

p3tran

Banned
Phil Spencer @Forza 5:
https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxP3/status/376760668579303426?p=v
Was down at Turn10 Studios, great progress on Forza 5. Lots of shiny Forza cars on track at 60fps at launch of new generation.

But don´t know what 'Lots' mean for Phil =D

haha, thats at least on par with the indifferent guy that did the t10 interview last week on the event :D
"gee, great, uhm I guess my father will finally get to play.."

well done phil, nice & deep heads up dude 8)

op_ivy

Phil Spencer @Forza 5:
https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxP3/status/376760668579303426?p=v

But don´t know what 'Lots' mean for Phil =D

didnt see this was already posted here (i bumped the other thread). the timing sure is suspect for him to discuss number of cars on track... still holding out for the previously mentioned 24 to be true - maybe its just a matter of ensuring they dont promise something that latter needs to be reduced and it is currently at 24... hope.

Mascot

Look, not even the developers know how many cars will be on track, how many total cars are in the game, or how many tracks are in the game to race them on. It's changing daily. Have patience.

Bobnob

no way.
as soon as we get something we want more!

give us neeeews
-> openwheelers are ingame
which ones... give us neeeeews
-> indy
ok nice, what else. give us neeeeews
-> 2 classic f1 cars
nice. give us news
-> 1080p, 60fps
give us traaaacks
-> spa ingame
give us neeeews
-> laserscanned the tracks
give us detaiiills
-> not now
bashing... give us neeews
-> bathurst ingame
give us neeeews
-> no more fm2 cars ingame. all revamped
give us neeews

Great Post : ) Stingy T10 never give us news lol

op_ivy

Look, not even the developers know how many cars will be on track, how many total cars are in the game, or how many tracks are in the game to race them on. It's changing daily. Have patience.

look, its fun to speculate. turn 10 isnt exactly forthcoming with details and info.

Mascot

look, its fun to speculate. turn 10 isnt exactly forthcoming with details and info.

I know. I was being sarcastic. I love speculation.

The lack of media really make me wonder what state the game is currently in, and what state it will be in on release. Prague might look great because it's the 'crown jewel' track and has been the main focus of development, but there might be serious problems elsewhere in the game. Or not. Who knows? Turn 10 do, and they're not saying.

eso76

pretty sure neither are 60fps

Eh, I remember T10 releasing a 60fps vid. for FM3, but i don't think we're getting 60fps df footage until The Blim gets his hands on a copy, frankly.

Prague might look great because it's the 'crown jewel' track and has been the main focus of development

I don't think so, and i don't think it was their main focus either tbh.
But i can't wait to see a proper trailer of the game : |

Come on, leak something. Anything,

There has to be a video or fact sheet somewhere just waiting to be leaked :p

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think so, and i don't think it was their main focus either tbh.
Sure it is. Its the same thing they did with FM3(Camino) and FM4(Bernese Alps).

Anyways, I think some of the news we've gotten would have filled our appetites more if it weren't just words and maybe a screenshot or two. Got Indycars? Sweet, show us some footage of it in cockpit view! Got Spa? Show us. Got classic F1 cars? Show us.

About 2 months away and we've still only seen two tracks and a handful of cars in action. And no direct-feed video. I like how they showed a constant stream of cars leading up to Forza 4, to keep people coming back all the time.

It does make me worry about what the state of the game is like at the moment. Surely they would show a bit more if they could?

derFeef

Yeah, much telling and not much showing sadly. I would not go as far as saying empty promises - but it's certainly getting dire.

saladine1

Anyways, I think some of the news we've gotten would have filled our appetites more if it weren't just words and maybe a screenshot or two. Got Indycars? Sweet, show us some footage of it in cockpit view! Got Spa? Show us. Got classic F1 cars? Show us.

About 2 months away and we've still only seen two tracks and a handful of cars in action. And no direct-feed video. I like how they showed a constant stream of cars leading up to Forza 4, to keep people coming back all the time.

It does make me worry about what the state of the game is like at the moment. Surely they would show a bit more if they could?
I think that's it right there..if they could.
I'm sure that Turn 10 want to show off the game to the public just as much as we want to see it. Their thinking is that it's best to wait and show it off in the best possible light. If that means the rabid fan must wait, then so be it. I understand that from a business perspective. As a consumer though, it is tough, no doubt.

eso76

i don't know, it was the track they used to showcase the game, but not necessarily their 'main focus', like they didn't put the same effort in other tracks.

Like Camino was FM3 crown jewel, but you also had stuff like Fujimi and especially Positano, which i'm sure required even more work.

Man, an updated positano long would have me fapping to death.

eso76

In an interview, Dan said that not all tracks will be laser scanned. Only the ones that they were not happy with.

Also, FM5 will not have unicorns.

yep i'm sure they're not laser scanning infineon, Hockenheim, Indianapolis etc.

also from the same page on fm.net

Xboxygen: How many cars will there be in Forza 5?

Dan Greenawalt: We have not yet provided an exact figure, but there will be many

- Xboxygen: Is there will be more than in Forza 4?
Dan Greenawalt: No, there will be less

- Xboxygen: But all will be available in Autovista mode, right?
Dan Greenawalt: Yes, all cars are available in this mode

Heh, thanks for asking 'more or less' but forgetting to ask if it's "less" as in "150" or "less" as in "450"

Also thanks for not asking if "only old tracks we were not happy with were laser scanned" means all old tracks are included or not :p

Shaneus

In an interview, Dan said that not all tracks will be laser scanned. Only the ones that they were not happy with.

Also, FM5 will not have unicorns.
But they'll have preorder bonuses. Which are kinda like unicorns.

But I'm glad about that regardless, because unicorn items in any game are a load of shit, especially when they're a selling point. "500 cars! (except the ones you can only get if you are lucky enough to win a competition online, race against a dev in the timezone you aren't in or aren't quick enough to reply to a random tweet from the developer to get)"

Top Bottom