• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 - Hotwheels Expansion

Pulling this out into its own post:

PC Update Improvements
Alongside the release of the Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels expansion we are pleased to announce numerous critical improvements included in the Windows 10 PC version of the game. These improvements are included in today’s automatic update, and do not require the Hot Wheels expansion to take advantage of.

Expanded Driving Wheel Support
With the most recent update of Windows 10, Windows Creators Edition, we have expanded our list of officially supported steering wheels for PC. The full list of newly supported wheels:

· Logitech Driving Force GT
· Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel
· Logitech G920
· Logitech G29
· Logitech G25
· Logitech G27
· Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V1
· Fanatec CSV2
· Fanatec CSR
· Thrustmaster TS-PC
· Thrustmaster T150
· Thrustmaster T500 RS
· Thrustmaster TMX V1
· Thrustmaster TMX V2
· Thrustmaster T300RS
· Thrustmaster TX 458 Edition
· Thrustmaster TX 599 Edition
· Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition
· Thrustmaster TX F1 Edition
· Thrustmaster TX GTE Edition
· Thrustmaster RGT

Improved CPU Performance
We have observed that a large portion of players are CPU limited when trying to run Forza Horizon 3 at high frame rates, including locked 60 FPS and unlocked. By analyzing telemetry, we have developed targeted optimizations for this group of affected players by increasing the number of concurrent threads used by the render architecture. We have taken further advantage of DX12 capabilities to allow the visuals to be processed out of order during the frame, in order to reduce synchronization stalls and decrease CPU execution duration. These changes result in a significant CPU performance gain on High or Ultra settings when running on PCs of Recommended spec or better.

Updated Thread Model
We have updated our threading affinity model to make better use of all available cores. Along with this change, we have added a new graphics option to disable the new model, should you prefer. This option can be found in the Video Settings menu under “Threaded Optimization”.

More Graphical Options
We have also added some additional graphical options to improve framerate for those playing on lower specification PCs. These include:

· Dynamic Geometry Quality now has a Very Low option
· World Car Level of Detail now has a Very Low option

These are combined with some existing options to create a new “Very Low” preset that can be used with dynamic optimization.

Additionally, all options have had their descriptions updated to include information on how each setting affects the CPU performance, GPU performance, and available VRAM, so that players can better understand the performance impact that tweaking each setting will have.

Updated Minimum Specification
Along with the performance improvements coming with this release, we are lowering the minimum specification to reduce the CPU requirement and the NVIDIA GPU requirement.

Minimum Specification
CPU
i3-4170 @ 3.7Ghz
GPU
NVIDIA GT 740 | AMD R7 250x
VRAM
2GB GDDR5
RAM
8GB
Hard Drive Type
HDD
Resolution
1280 x 720

Wait this is out today? Why am I still at work?
Wow this news dropped on 4/26 and didn't see it till today. Probably got buried in switch threads. My hype levels are high.

Got the PC patch installed and the performance increase is real. In the parts of Surfer's Paradise where I would consistently go from 60 FPS to hanging around to the mid 50's and dipping into the mid-40's now mostly run at 60 FPS. It's not quite perfect as I did see a couple of big dips into the 40's, but it was hard to reproduce them unlike pre-patch.

GPU utilization also seems improved as well as CPU utilization, I used to be incapable of running 4K/60 FPS on my GTX 1070 at all with max settings, it now consistently hits 60 FPS. I'm not sure if this totally on the game update or if some of it was due to NV's recent round of DX12 driver fixes, but I feel like I can play this game at 4K/60 now where before I could only do 2880x1660 at 60.

E: PC is a 6700K @ 4.7ghz, GTX 1070 running @ 2ghz or so, 16GB of PC3000 DDR4

FYI

If you drive manual, the first car they give you has 8 gears. Really screwed me up for the first event, only put it up to 6th :/

MouldyK

The part where the girl goes "I asked the Hot Wheels guys how they do all this...they asked how Horizon "Rewinds Time"...do you know what they are on about?"

I do not know of this.

Well, if I never get a new F-Zero game, I might as well get one that plays similar to them from one of the best racing game franchises right now.

DJ_Lae

Really enjoying it so far, although I'll have to get over it being so many fixed tracks - I already miss being able to offroad wherever I want, as there are only a handful of small places to do so.

But the overall playground feel is pretty great.

I also wish you could adjust camera position for interior view - the Bone Shaker's roof is in an incredibly bad spot for visibility.

Theorry

Really enjoying it so far, although I'll have to get over it being so many fixed tracks - I already miss being able to offroad wherever I want, as there are only a handful of small places to do so.

But the overall playground feel is pretty great.

I also wish you could adjust camera position for interior view - the Bone Shaker's roof is in an incredibly bad spot for visibility.

Wait until you unlock the Twinmill. :D

dLMN8R

Patch just went live on PC. 3.41GB.

Edit: I've already got the expansion installed, so this is what... 5 or 6 total gigs?

Edit 2: God damn! 90mb/esc. Has MS finally turned the corner on their slow-ass store transfers?
kiQ6K1G.jpg
You might be surprised to learn that these speeds have always been fast since the Anniversary Update last year. It's just that the UI did a really poor job showing you how fast your downloads were :)

Glad it's working well for you and others!

Fredrik

This gives me serious Hard Drivin' vibes. Never cared for Forza, but this looks great.

1181242121368.jpg
Oh the nostalgia! Thanks for reminding me! :)
Can't buy the DLC anyway, servers are getting spammed I guess, might as well start up the Amiga and play some Hard Drivin, Stuntcar Racer and 4D Sports Driving while waiting :)

Spasm

I called my wife down to watch me go through a loop, cackling the whole way through. She just shook her head and left.

I feel like such a kid.

U2NUMB

My god the latest updates in the preview builds have taken FOREVER to install.. so frustrating... Want to get my hot wheels on damn it.

MaLDo

not quite perfect as I did see a couple of big dips into the 40's, but it was hard to reproduce them unlike pre-patch.

[...]

E: PC is a 6700K @ 4.7ghz, GTX 1070 running @ 2ghz or so, 16GB of PC3000 DDR4

Dips to 40 fps in your rig is not pefect.

I really hope people are not overreacting because the improvement, talking about perfect performance while being only way better than before but not perfect.

Dehnus

I called my wife down to watch me go through a loop, cackling the whole way through. She just shook her head and left.

I feel like such a kid.

This quote alone shows that MS should make a stand alone game just like this. But with multiple environments from arctic to tropic with weather effects. Courses people can build and share with eachother :D... just one big fun game :). :p.

U2NUMB

We should really have a post at the top of every page for this. Expansion Pass is not part of the Ultimate Edition, which included the Car Pass and VIP.

I think next time they should just charge $130 and include the damn pass... would get it over with. I understand why people are confused as it says Ultimate but it was very clear in the store what you got with it...

Edit: Finally back up and of course.. xbox live log in is messed up... twitter full of people complaining. I swear MS has their timing down perfect with everything I really want to play..

DirtyLarry

I saw some people wondering if you can fall off the side of the track.
You can fall off the side of the track. Absolutely can. LOL

Noobcraft

The minute or so I've gotten to play so far have been great. My 3 yr old took my controller away and is currently utilizing the track edge quite well. He managed to navigate from the festival to a loop-de-loop.

Fredrik

OMG this is soo awesome! :D
It's kind of a Mario Kart and Trackmania mix but the Forza way. Crazy mix. Totally unrealistic tracks but still with the Forza car realism intact. Don't let yourself be fooled by the pretty colors though, this is no forgiving kids racer, that's for sure, I probably drove off the track 5 times at my first race, finished 12th lol

I have to say though, 30fps feels slow in this type of racer. I'm usually maxing out the screens at 144fps on Trackmania on PC, Mario Kart 8 is 60fps, modern Wipeout's are 60fps, Fast RMX is 60fps, etc. 30fps with loops, jumps, boost patches and crazy turns just doesn't feel quite right at 30fps. Hopefully Scorpio can push this up to 60fps, it really deserves it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Larger than I had expected. I sort of expected a small landmass with maybe a few stray "Orange" rails and loops to recycle with events. Instead it's like a massive pretzel city hovering over the water and beach. Events all over the place, its own progession, unlocks, rewards, etc... I still haven't booted up the Blizzard Mtn pack, so I suppose my expectations were just smaller.

Love that it has boost pads too. It really kind of is Hard Drivin' in a sense.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I might wait until I get a the new X900E to play this with HDR on.
Saving so many other games until then as well.

Top Bottom