• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 - Hotwheels Expansion

samred

The fact that most of the tracks are orange is driving me nuts. Like, was there no way to play with other fun colors or add color gradients/swirls to reflect different tracks?

Also, if you fall off a loop-de-loop in a race event, you better hit rewind ASAP; should the game black out and reload Lakitu-style, you can't rewind back to before your mess-up. This is obnoxious as balls.

I feel like this is a teaser to how good a Forza Kart game could be built from the ground up, but the Hot Wheels license limitations become evident after a few races. Forza's handling just isn't built for the kind of arcadey quick-swerve stuff that this mode's wide, flat tracks really encourage. Good start, Turn 10. I hope y'all put some arcade/kart modes into X.

Noobcraft

^Git gud.
I agree somewhat with the handling being an odd match. There's definitely a learning curve with the new tracks, but the right car makes all the difference.

Castaway

200,000 fans/when you first expand to your third festival site. So wee bit into the game.

The update also moved up the unlock for both expansions - now they both unlock the same time MP unlocks, after you open your second site, not the third. Should take new players about 45 minutes / around 27,000 fans (used to be over 200,000).

taoofjord

Totally loving this. They nailed the feel of Hot Wheels. It's also stunningly beautiful (such as the way the sun shines through the orange track).

And oh man that intro race was PERFECT. The island's design is really good. More variety than you might expect. Killer sound effect for the booster pads too. I love how you can hear them from a distance. Really pumps you up :)

Mohasus

Game glitched and didn't unlock the finale for me.

Yay.

edit: going to the garage and exiting it solved the problem.

Noobcraft

Screenshot dump
4453a7ed-e7db-400f-bch3l9g.png

dfd07519-8aee-465f-95flaeo.png

42765f31-5c95-4c74-b2mplrv.png

b4c38349-4a9e-4a9d-97eea1k.png

9d05207e-82c5-46f3-81vvan4.png

b9ded9bd-c260-41ab-bec2zd3.png

Afrikan

More gifs on the way!
wPHT6tE.gif

I forget what game this reminds me of.. (not Trackmania) but something from a long time ago.

I might be certain tracks in Cruis'n World?

Or maybe San Francisco Rush series? (Alcatraz?)

I guess what makes Horizon so appealing is that it reminds you of so many great games... all in one package.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I forget what game this reminds me of.. (not Trackmania) but something from a long time ago.

I guess what makes Horizon so appealing is that it reminds you of so many great games... all in one package.

Hard Drivin' if you ever visited an arcade during the early 90's.

AEREC

Reminds me of Race Drivin' for some reason

race-drivin-t.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I have an XP board that I smashed but it didn't count and still shows up on the map! Even after going to the festival, it will respawn, and I smash it, and it still doesn't count!

EDIT: OK quitting the game and restarting made it work. Phew! Got a diamond achievement, says 0.05% of gamers unlocked this woo!

Hawk269

Spent a good hour or so and WOW this is impressive. It is a giant Hot Wheel play ground and it is done so well. Lot's of races and events and tons of space. There are some crazy ass track layouts some of which I have not driven, but damn does this look so good. Crazy what Playground is able to do on the Xbox One. One of the best DLC's I have bought and well worth every penny. This game just keeps getting better and better with the Blizzard and this expansion it is just a great overall game.

KAOS

DLC GOTY!!! It's so much fun! As far as what nostalgia itch this game dlc scratches for me it's the old Amiga game Stunt Car Racing. Man I use to love that game and always wanted a modern version. Thanks to this dlc my wishes have been fulfilled. Kudos Playground Games!

Totally loving this. They nailed the feel of Hot Wheels. It's also stunningly beautiful (such as the way the sun shines through the orange track).

And oh man that intro race was PERFECT. The island's design is really good. More variety than you might expect. Killer sound effect for the booster pads too. I love how you can hear them from a distance. Really pumps you up :)
Looks better at night. Going to try night and rain for my next event.

aravuus

Now that people are actually playing the expansions, I'll ask again:

Do they combine hot wheels tracks and the open-world checkpoint based races in this (as in a single race can contain loopy-jumpy parts with the orange HW tracks and 'regular' parts on the fields/forests/cities, with seamless transitions)? Or are all hot wheels tracks on the actual orange track from beginning to end?

Since the game runs alright now, I'm gonna base my purchase decision on this.

DeaDPo0L84

This is now one of my favorite expansions to any game ever. Just a blast to play and they killed it with the hot wheels implementation.

DJ_Lae

Wait until you unlock the Twinmill. :D

Haha, you're not kidding. The interior view is only good if you're turning slightly to the right. Otherwise you're just hitting the gas and crossing your fingers.

There's only 4 hotwheels cars. Rip rod, bone shaker, twin mill, and the mustang

That's kind of disappointing, although I suspected as much once I hit S2 races and no new vehicle unlocked. Even the barn find is a weird choice.

Mr.Fusion

Most races are completely on Hot Wheels tracks. A few of the races I've done did have short sections that went through the sand, water, and city. I've done about 15 races so far, so there could be more off-track sections later. Though the only area that has a sizable open area to drive on is in the shallow waters around a couple of the islands.

Fredrik

The tracks are built out in the sea as a separate festival area, like Blizzard Mountain, so they aren't connected to the normal map. It's still open-world and you drive freely around on the crazy tracks until you choose to start a race as usual.
And it's awesome! Crazy and awesome!

The expansions areas (Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels) are totally separated from the main game's map. The Hot Wheels area doesn't really have any non-hot wheels track areas. There's extremely minimal amounts of "normal" terrain since the main show is the hot wheels style track.

One of the reasons they are separated is partly because the way you progress in the expansions is different than the main game where expansions use a star system and not a fan system. So when you choose to go to an expansion area or the main game, it changes scoring and things like that. In Blizzard Mountain it also does thing like automatically equip/unequip snow tires which are useless outside of the expansion areas (so no point keeping them on when in the outback since other tires are better there).

Wiped89

This is so much fun

And OMG this looks so good on OLED. The bright orange and Blue colours just POP off the screen and really show what the TV can do. Wow.

By the way, I do feel the game is much more difficult since they changed the way you set up for events. Before, you used to be able to quick upgrade your car before a race began so you'd always be super competitive in any car. Now you can't, and it can mean that if another driver has a faster top speed, you can really aggravatingly find yourself overtaken in a straight line and there's nothing you can do.

This is exacerbated on Hot Wheels where straight line top speed is basically the most important thing.

Wiped89

The biggest frustration I have with this game is the barn-yard finds, you could be virtually on top of the spot where the map shows the find will be yet you just can't find the dam garage! Plowing through areas, yet no....drive up to what you think might be the garage but it's not...and it feels like you are missing out on something, just ignoring them....hence why I haven't been too quick to jump back on the game..

The circle on the map only shows a general area. It can be anywhere inside that circle not necessarily the middle. Mind you, I do feel like PG are trolling sometimes with the number of barn-like looking buildings which are nothing.

Gowans

Anyone else feel like there are not enough boost pads ?
I like it so far but I wish it was even more arcade-y.
Get to the faster cars.

Played a bunch before work and I'm loving it, its such a good flip in feel but still being Horizon.

Some of the roads and drift areas are mega.

Forza is such a great franchise. I was definitely surprised by this expansion. I rarely buy DLC, but i have bought two for Forza Horizon.

Easily the best racing franchise for me.

Gestault

[snip]

It's a new archipelago with the tracks set around/through/over, so in freeroam, everything's connected, and you can go on the land as well as the tracks. In races and special events, the blue track sections are swapped out so things are self-contained in the race (and you get to choose the stunt pieces that close in the sections). It's really cool. They talk about it pretty extensively in the launch stream, if you're still curious.

Spasm

The circle on the map only shows a general area. It can be anywhere inside that circle not necessarily the middle. Mind you, I do feel like PG are trolling sometimes with the number of barn-like looking buildings which are nothing.
You know you can search for barn finds with the drone? And when you get close enough, a barn icon will appear on the min-map. Simply quit the drone, and drive to the icon to collect.

Dural

I feel like this is a teaser to how good a Forza Kart game could be built from the ground up, but the Hot Wheels license limitations become evident after a few races. Forza's handling just isn't built for the kind of arcadey quick-swerve stuff that this mode's wide, flat tracks really encourage. Good start, Turn 10. I hope y'all put some arcade/kart modes into X.

I was feeling the same way about the handling, if you haven't already done so turn on traction control and use automatic transmission. With higher powered cars the quick transitions screw them up, the traction control helps a lot. Manual transmission wasn't working for me at all due to the boosts, changed to automatic and works much better. Now I'm loving it!

Top Bottom