• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

shanafan

FH3 keeps crashing on me on my laptop. I have an NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, updated with 372.95 release. I have an i7-6820HQ with 32 GB of ram.

I watched some videos, and tried disabling my antivirus as well as my microphone, but it still crashes right at the main menu.

Any other tips out there?

Hmm, well it booted after I disabled the microphone and did this..

Found a solution for crashing on turn 10 transition screen on startup

1.Navigate under your profile to
C:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.OpusPG_8wekyb3d8bbwe\TempState\scratch
2. Create a new folder
3. Move all the files *except the folders into the new folder
4. Click yes if prompted "may be harmful" which some antivirus will state
5. Start the game.
6. The THPSystemRequirementReport will regenerate&#65279;

We'll see if it plays now while in the game.

baconcow

FH3 keeps crashing on me on my laptop. I have an NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, updated with 372.95 release. I have an i7-6820HQ with 32 GB of ram.

I watched some videos, and tried disabling my antivirus as well as my microphone, but it still crashes right at the main menu.

Any other tips out there?

I had constant startup crashes. Don't disable your antivirus, uninstall it. Was able to start, afterwards.

terrible

Banned
Patch Notes:

-Adjusted VIP bonus credits algorithm
-Fixed issue downloading user submitted paint jobs
-Fixed issue with German language pack
-Fixed bug where Xinput devices would not be detected
-Added Microtransactions for liveries

I could see them re-balancing the amount of money you get for selling duplicate HE cars you win via wheelspins before actually fixing the game.

Avtomat

I could see them re-balancing the amount of money you get for selling duplicate HE cars you win via wheelspins before actually fixing the game.

Well when you think about it, these sorts of small fixes take someone about a day to do and another day to to test and go through QA.

The sort of fixes needed to cure stuttering are perhaps weeks worth of work no reason to hold up smaller bugfixes waiting for the big one.

Just had 5 startup crashes in a row after playing it just last night for hours without problem...yeah I'm fucking done.

See you in a few weeks after some heavy heavy patches (hopefully). I really want to love this game, why must it be so hard ;/

aka_bueno

Wait are we expecting a patch tomorrow or something? I've been enjoying the game and dropped out of this thread past couple of days but did they say there's a patch incoming or something why is everyone talking about a patch haha

PatzCU

Do you have two HDD hooked up? I had this exact issue and I noticed the behavior looked like it was confused in where to boot, I unhooked the power/SATA cable to my extra HDD and the update installed fine on the next try. Keep everything but your main unplugged and see if that does the trick.

Thank you!! Just wanted to report back that this worked for me! Anniversary update installed successfully and downloading FH3 now. Bracing myself for the unoptimized clusterfuck.

What's the reason for the tuning and customisation menus stuttering like mad when you try and run 60fps?
Apart from just not working as it should there seems to be an issue pulling the data from memory and displaying it. Whatever is being done requires a large amount of either CPU or memory to get it to work. That or it was designed to run at 30fps which I don't think is the case because the frames drop down to single figures. I wonder how it is on the console version.

shanafan

Finally got FH3 running. I did this.

Reset the game. Go to Apps & Features, find Forza Horizon 3 > Advanced Options > Reset.

shanafan

So now that I can finally play it on my laptop, I tried running in 3840 x 2160. My laptop's screen is 4K UHD, and running it in that resolution - things just feel slow. I adjusted the FPS to 60, but same feel.

But, running it at 1920 x 1080 at 60 FPS feels good.

So I'm getting surprisingly good results with a GTX 970 at 1440p. I'm hovering in the 35-46fps range with everything on high and 4xmsaa. FPS smoothing and dynamic settings both off. Just need to have the stuttering fixed now.

Specs:

Intel Xeon x5650 @ 3.6ghz
GTX 970
24 GB RAM

My Xeon has 12 threads going, I wonder if that makes the stuttering better or worse with this game lol

leng jai

So I'm getting surprisingly good results with a GTX 970 at 1440p. I'm hovering in the 35-46fps range with everything on high and 4xmsaa. FPS smoothing and dynamic settings both off. Just need to have the stuttering fixed now.

Specs:

Intel Xeon x5650 @ 3.6ghz
GTX 970
24 GB RAM

My Xeon has 12 threads going, I wonder if that makes the stuttering better or worse with this game lol

You might as well just lock it to 30fps instead.

This is my first Forza game. I just booted it up and was running smoothly (55-60 fps, 1440p, Ultra preset) but it crashed after 20 minutes. Can't remember the last game I played that did that.

_woLf

How exactly do I get achievement notifications to display in Windows 10?

I have unlocked quite a few in this game but I haven't once seen them pop up. I have notifications enabled...

I have unlocked quite a few in this game but I haven't once seen them pop up. I have notifications enabled...

I think it's just a bug. Someone mentioned before to keep the Xbox app open and that should fix it. Of course it didn't...

Corpekata

Banned

A while ago achievements were screwing up some games (causing a stutter IIRC) so I disabled them in the Notifications and Action Settings section (the one in Windows, not the Xbox App). So make sure it's on in that section too, you might have turned it off in the past and forgotten like I did.

Samaritan

I have a 144hz monitor so the game gives me 36 and 48 fps lock options. The game stays in the 40s enough for me to keep the limit at 48. Surfers Paradise brings me down to 25 though

You can always set the refresh rate down to 120, then cap the in-game framerate to 30, 40, or 60. This is what I do and it works great.

_woLf

I think it's just a bug. Someone mentioned before to keep the Xbox app open and that should fix it. Of course it didn't...

Bah, dang. Well, I'll try that I guess.

A while ago achievements were screwing up some games (causing a stutter IIRC) so I disabled them in the Notifications and Action Settings section (the one in Windows, not the Xbox App). So make sure it's on in that section too, you might have turned it off in the past and forgotten like I did.

Everything is enabled, both in the xbox app and windows. Haven't seen one yet. Granted, I haven't had the Xbox app open.

also...jesus, this game looks so damn good. Took this on the way to a race:

ZIniNu1.jpg

upon seeing this screenshot, it also looks like FPS counter shows up even when they're taking using the photo tool. Huh.

AsianOni

Is the photomode broken or something on the PC version?
Images look blurry for some reason..

Quoting from the OT.
It's denpendent on the window size when you first started the game. Start the game in fullscreen -> the photomode works fine. Start the game in a small window and then resize to fullscreen -> the photomode is stuck in that small window's resolution.

It kinda works for me. Still not perfect but perfectly usable (see the photo thread).

Popsickles

Everything is enabled, both in the xbox app and windows. Haven't seen one yet. Granted, I haven't had the Xbox app open.

I had the same issue it was because I had used a tweak to turn of windows telemetry without it achievements don't work

Quoting from the OT.

It kinda works for me. Still not perfect but perfectly usable (see the photo thread).

Sorry, but how do you start in fullscreen mode?

Edit: Is anyone else having the text in game being super jaggy? I can't even see most drivertars names from a distance, its blurry and jaggy. FXAA is off.

Is there away to remove the input lag at capped 30fps?

Thanks all

seph1roth

Playing on a GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4 and an i7-5820K at 1080p

I got drops below 30FPS yesterday

dear lord please help me.

That's strange, have you tweaked the game with task manager?.

With my brothers PC (GTX 1080 - i7 4770K) the game runs on ultra settings MSAAx8 at 4K between an average of 45fps, some areas at 55-60fps and other rare intensive areas at 35fps.

No stuttering at all, but again...tweaking the game on task manager every time we run it.

I mean, the game runs like crap in modest hardwares but this performance at 4K with a single 1080 for me is ok.

squared

Quoting from the OT.

How do you force it to start in fullscreen/1080p? Mine always starts with a small window, then later on switched to fullscreen. I would love to have a "working" photo mode on PC...

AsianOni

Sorry, but how do you start in fullscreen mode?

Edit: Is anyone else having the text in game being super jaggy? I can't even see most drivertars names from a distance, its blurry and jaggy. FXAA is off.

Is there away to remove the input lag at capped 30fps?

Thanks all
How do you force it to start in fullscreen/1080p? Mine always starts with a small window, then later on switched to fullscreen. I would love to have a "working" photo mode on PC...

I'm basically spamming Alt + Enter so that it goes fullscreen as soon as possible. Preferably before the logos. I'm running the drivers from last month and I've got an "error" message each time I'm launching the game, saying that I don't have the latest drivers and if I want to continue or quit. It stays like this indefinitely and I've got plenty of time to go fullscreen lol.

squared

I'm basically spamming Alt + Enter so that it goes fullscreen as soon as possible. Preferably before the logos. I'm running the drivers from last month and I've got an "error" message each time I'm launching the game, saying that I don't have the latest drivers and if I want to continue or quit. It stays like this indefinitely and I've got plenty of time to go fullscreen lol.

Alright, thanks! I'll try it out :) I also found out about using that Sizer software to help you set the window size to exactly 1080p. Wonder if after a patch we'll be able to take photos running 4k resolution, then downscaling them to 1080p. That would result in nice IQ.

AsianOni

Alright, thanks! I'll try it out :) I also found out about using that Sizer software to help you set the window size to exactly 1080p. Wonder if after a patch we'll be able to take photos running 4k resolution, then downscaling them to 1080p. That would result in nice IQ.

I'm running 4K and taking the screenshots with the Windows 10 GameDVR. But yeah, a downsampling tool would be better.

I feel like my performance on PC is getting worse. I played before launch with the Ultimate Edition and it was largely fine, but now I am getting major stuttering pretty consistently and the screen tearing has really gone up as well

Porcupine

How do you disable audio in this game? There is no option ingame, you can only set all the audio sliders to 1, which is still too loud.
In Windows the game doesn't appear in the sound manager o_O

Patch Notes:

-Adjusted VIP bonus credits algorithm
-Fixed issue downloading user submitted paint jobs
-Fixed issue with German language pack
-Fixed bug where Xinput devices would not be detected
-Added Microtransactions for liveries

im pretty sure they wont have actually have fixed anything in such a short time. its quite clear the pc port is going to require a lot of work to fix. i wouldnt be surprised if its never actually happens

im pretty sure they wont have actually have fixed anything in such a short time. its quite clear the pc port is going to require a lot of work to fix. i wouldnt be surprised if its never actually happens

I agree. It has numerous performance issues and fixes for stuttering in openworld games don't exactly have a stellar track record so far.

O/T - God damn it, I can't even download Netflix from the Win store now. It downloads a meg or so and then errors out. Any tips for fixing screwed up store downloads?

Qassim

Well Arstechnica did have a bit on a spin-off article from their review saying that the dev team were aware of stuttering and had a fix coming.

A Microsoft Studios spokesperson confirmed that the specific hitching issue I noticed in some otherwise smooth scenarios has been replicated by the game's PC development team; "you can expect a game update to fix this issue in the near future," the representative told Ars. Those gains may not come from DirectX 12-related fixes, however, as the representative confirmed that this engine is already built on a DirectX 12 foundation.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/forza-horizon-3-performance-4k-windows-10/

riflen

How do you disable audio in this game? There is no option ingame, you can only set all the audio sliders to 1, which is still too loud.
In Windows the game doesn't appear in the sound manager o_O

Probably because of its UWP nature. It was only April this year that you were able to control volume for individual UWP programmes. It seems the feature is still being developed and not all applications are supported yet. This is a post from an MS developer: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...0_build_14316_you_can_now_control_uwp/d21abp8

Basically because UWP applications don't really close, you would see every UWP programme you'd ever run in the volume mixer, so they just hid all UWP apps from the mixer and shipped like that (lol). Now they're getting around to making it actually usable. Enjoy your experience beta testing for Microsoft. Upvote the feature request on Windows Feedback Hub!

Top Bottom