• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

shpankey

not an idiot
i get what you're saying, but to be honest, what are we supposed to do in a screenshot thread? what else is there? or do we need to qualify every single post with "subject to change due to the inevitable increase in graphical quality"? this should go without saying, i think.

if like with GRAW, the game jumps up in quality, there will be a ton of us in that [future] thread talking about how it's come a long way and looks so much better and "wow" and "fukin awesome".

"judgement subject to change" <-- just drop this behind every critique in this thread.

i have not seen a single solitary person in here claim this is their final judgement. but just gave their opinion on the screens they were shown. if you take this away from us, might as well not even have screenshot threads ever again.

chespace said:
Then you guys will be happy to know that when you're actually racing in-game, the blur is nothing like these screenshots.
The blur looks just about right to me. It should fill the gaps between frames quite nicely. 60fps w/motion blur is going to be buttery smooth. I have a strong suspicion people will change their minds when they see the results ....well maybe not gek.

hadareud

The Translator
there's no point complaining, it's always the same. It doesn't matter if it's Nintendo, Sony or MS games - once screenshots are released that are disappointing it's an early build (or something else).

I still think the game will improve quite a bit though (visually).

Bebpo

Banned
If the motion blur looks nothing like that in-game then why show it in screenshots of supposedly in-game views?

Why not show gamers what the game will actually look like?

Just seems silly.

puebla

shpankey said:
i get what you're saying, but to be honest, what are we supposed to do in a screenshot thread? what else is there? or do we need to qualify every single post with "subject to change due to the inevitable increase in graphical quality"? this should go without saying, i think.

if like with GRAW, the game jumps up in quality, there will be a ton of us in that [future] thread talking about how it's come a long way and looks so much better and "wow" and "fukin awesome".

judgement subject to change. i have not seen a single solitary person in here claim this is their final judgement. but just gave their opinion on the screens the were shown. if you take this away from us, might as well not even have screenshot threads ever again.
i think you guys have a hard time reading. i don't have a problem with you or anybody else judging the screens. i said I, Me, I will wait until the other effects go in. i think for now the screens look dissappointing as i have already stated. if the final game ends up looking like these screens with just a minimal bump in quality i will call the game out on it. it could look like shit for all i know.

shpankey

not an idiot
Bebpo said:
If the motion blur looks nothing like that in-game then why show it in screenshots of supposedly in-game views?

Why not show gamers what the game will actually look like?

Just seems silly.
ya, what he said... so drop us some videos che :D :) ;)

FightyF

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
You're a funny guy.

Heh, glad someone got it. :)

How can you tell this without seeing the motion blur in... err, motion? :lol

There are different ways of achieving motion blur, I don't know the details of their implementation but I do know you can tell the difference while taking a look at a screen grab.

I'd say its a testament to the quality of PD's artists more than anything (not trying to stir shit, just saying). Diminishing returns is overrated as much as the artistry is underrated.

IMO, it's not really an issue of artistry but rather the process used. I can take a picture of a tree, pop it in a game and slap it on 2 polygons. It would look more realistic than a hand modelled and hand textured tree with 30 thousand polys and self shadowing...when looking at a screenshot. There's a balance between effort (in artistry and technology) and the end result. For realistic games, I think PD has a good process, but I'd like to see how they'd fare with a game engine that has real time lighting and shadowing, different times of day and such.

sp0rsk said:
People who are calling out people about how its wrong to judge these screenshots are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo full of shit.

I dont know if thats directed at me (I did go on a bit of a anti screencap rant there), but I dont think its wrong to judge these or any screens of a game at all. I just think the amount of stock (and reaction) put into screenshots on this forum is increasingly disproportionate to what you get with the actual end product (preferably the game being played on your tv screen), and that goes for both the good and bad impressions. Static media has its limits.

shpankey

not an idiot
puebla said:
i think you guys have a hard time reading. i don't have a problem with you or anybody else judging the screens. i said I, Me, I will wait until the other effects go in. i think for now the screens look dissappointing as i have already stated. if the final game ends up looking like these screens with just a minimal bump in quality i will call the game out on it. it could look like shit for all i know.
i'm sorry, i didn't mean you personally... i just used your post to speak about it. i wasn't talking about you individually. though i see now it looks that way.

puebla

shpankey said:
i'm sorry, i didn't mean you personally... i just used your post to speak about it. i wasn't talking about you individually. though i see now it looks that way.
it's all good my man.:)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
chespace said:
How is this guy not banned yet?

Anyhow, this is the first look at the game. More screenshots will come with more car variety, more tracks... and more importantly, hands-on impressions, etc. I dunno, there's plenty of potential for this game not to suck, especially based on 5 screenshots. :p

Now you get to see how damn near every PS3 developers goes through everyday. Sucks doesn't it? Well at least you know things will get better from here.

Fight for Freeform said:
For realistic games, I think PD has a good process, but I'd like to see how they'd fare with a game engine that has real time lighting and shadowing, different times of day and such.

I think PolyD with a modern day GPU and a healthy batch of ram is going to be completely unfair to every other developer in the genre. :D

FightyF

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If that Vision GT trailer was any sign, you don't have much to worry about. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqSSaHZa84

Well, I have no idea if that's just CG using "in game assets".

Hey Che my bro said he saw a documentary on TV about realism in videogames or something like that, and some racers were playing Forza and were calling it the best racing sim? My bro also said that one thing they would like to see was a working pit stop. They said GT4's was half assed and would like to see a fully functioning one. Maybe you've seen it already and my second hand info isn't correct.

Fight for Freeform said:
Well, I have no idea if that's just CG using "in game assets".

Car models are GT5's (the Evo and Mazda) and the courses are just GT4's. Every other sequence is GT4's cars on GT4's courses with new lighting (HDR) and other little touches.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Last time I checked taking a picture of a moving objected while moving at the same speed will render non-moving objects in the background and foreground blurry.
le-mans-99-race-car-no-1-action

31%20-%20NASCAR%20Winner%20-%20Lowes%20Motor%20Speedway.jpg

The amount of blur present in Forza 2 seems appropriate for replay cameras.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
LuCkymoON said:
Last time I checked taking a picture of a moving objected while moving at the same speed will render non-moving objects in the background and foreground blurry.
le-mans-99-race-car-no-1-action

31%20-%20NASCAR%20Winner%20-%20Lowes%20Motor%20Speedway.jpg

The amount of blur present in Forza 2 seems appropriate for replay cameras.

Pictures arent video games, different rules apply people.

sp0rsk said:
Pictures arent video games, different rules apply people.

Weren't the pics taken with the games photo mode though? I'd agree that if the actual game had that blur it would be a problem but blur in photomode shouldn't worry anyone.

3rdman

I haven't been following this gargantuan bitch-thread. Screenshots look "meh" to me so I'll wait to lay judgment. This is the kind of game where physics will mean more than graphics anyways. Here's hoping for a good showing at X06 as Forza 1 was a real surprise to me.

Ajax said:
Especially since 80% of these people have been judging PS3 games even before the final dev kits were out -let alone release of the games. Hypocrisy at its best.

This board is so ****ed up. I cannot believe the Xbox folks who are claiming the PS3 games look like crap from screenshots are in here defending it and the Sony folks who say that screenshots don't tell the whole tale are blasting these shots.

You guys don't even need to look at the name of the games do you? It's just a matter of knowing which system it's on.

pilonv1

sonycowboy said:
This board is so ****ed up. I cannot believe the Xbox folks who are claiming the PS3 games look like crap from screenshots are in here defending it and the Sony folks who say that screenshots don't tell the whole tale are blasting these shots.

You guys don't even need to look at the name of the games do you? It's just a matter of knowing which system it's on.

Are you only just realising this?

hyp

sonycowboy said:

yea, it's pretty sad. i find myself reading the original post and leaving a thread most of the time. especially when i know it's possible flame bait. gets tiresome after a while. but i think i've got a good grasp of whose posts to filter out.

screenshots look okay, not spectacular. i'm just waiting to see it in motion. i have no doubt it's going to look great even if the graphics arent good enough to overheat my 360.

Vrolokus

Banned
sonycowboy said:

Why does it seem worse lately (i.e., the past few months)? Is it just my imagination? When I first signed up here - not that long ago, by the way - it seemed different. There were threads about favorite video game bosses, threads about the best old Genesis games, LTTP threads - in short, threads about the joy of gaming. Now it's the Xbots and the SDF waging war day after day over a different hill (or screenshot, or PR release, or video).

Gek54

skybaby said:
I really dont understand the blur hate. Even when youre watching an onboard tv camera the damn blur is there! Don't come here and say it isn't "reallistic", cause it IS.

Uh, becuase you dont race through a camera now do you? Camera effects,like blur, no not belong in a sim.

"This is definately the worst it's been, IMO. (Been with GAF since 2000.)"

Meh, not really. Although, this time there's less interesting characters/trolls. These kids these days are friggin pathetic.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Gek54 said:
Uh, becuase you dont race through a camera now do you? Camera effects,like blur, no not belong in a sim.
the only shots we have really seen so far are replay shots. A photomode which simulates viewing the race through a tv camera.

sonycowboy said:

F*ck that, its gotten to the point where you dont even need to see the content of half the posts anymore. Just look at the handle and the console they're posting about and you've got the gist. I mostly read PS3 related threads these days as thats the console Im most interested in at the moment, but this crap obviously goes both ways. Seeing the usual suspects pop up with their bullshit again and again since E3, and now my ignore list is a mile long. It doesn't matter what the actual content is. No, its simply the opposing brand the bots feel the need to posture about for whatever lame ass reason. Usually when it comes to shit I have no interest in I'm ya know... indifferent to it? These f*cking choads have no quit.

FightyF

Banned
Gek54 said:

Blur belongs in sim games, if they mean to simulate a real life experience.

Camera blur is just exaggerated and should only be kept for replays, but it's so apparent in real life and when racing in real life.

GhaleonEB

Teknopathetic said:
"This is definately the worst it's been, IMO. (Been with GAF since 2000.)"

Meh, not really. Although, this time there's less interesting characters/trolls. These kids these days are friggin pathetic.
That's kind of what I meant. Now it seems that ever screen is greeted with the kind of stuff going on here (with a mix of "exclusive?" tossed in).

Gek54

Fight for Freeform said:
Blur belongs in sim games, if they mean to simulate a real life experience.

Camera blur is just exaggerated and should only be kept for replays, but it's so apparent in real life and when racing in real life.

Right well if Forza2 wants to simulate a concusion or driving drunk then I guess blur would be realistic.

Top Bottom