• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

Gek54

mrklaw said:
Gek, how did you like Forza 1?
I know you're a bit of a racing game nut - I'm just wondering what you're hoping for from the sequel (ignoring the graphics for now).

I just wanted Forza 1 with 60fps with No F'n blur and 900 degree TFF wheel support.

ypo said:
Hey I guess we can't praise a game's graphics if it's not from the final build either. Right?

Hey I guess you're right!

Or hey maybe the point is that you shouldn't make qualitative judgements on a racing sim based on WIP screenshots!

Hey, maybe!

jax (old)

Banned
Himuro said:
Why is this thread not closed?

why should it be? I don't see how chespace has a right to call for banning because the negative commentary is regarding a product he's behind (and other MS related games).

As for the images, the 1st leaked batch were sort of weak, and then the semi-official released shots aren't that great either. Reading between the lines of the CGI trailers + weak screenshots, who knows what the final product will look like. But considering that they had to plug a leak, they then went on to release samish aka poor looking game stills = :lol

3d grass OMGWTF... um so why don't you get them to grab a couple of those stills?

* btw this is from someone who felt that che had very little need to respond to this thread in the first instance, but he took the bait and responded and now the fallout really isn't pretty.

Gek54

Himuro said:
So you're hating on a game you haven't played because of superficial reasons?

Except graphics are functional.

DenogginizerOS said:
You sure are giving up easily after a few screenshots.

No way am I giving up, I just want some good news.

IJoel

Frankly, this sort of backlash (or negative comments on those images) can be, in part, attributed to an expectation that the game would be released at the end of this year (indicating this graphics' quality would be quite close to final,) and not delayed as Che has mentioned. I called this a month or 2 ago when there still weren't any screens being released (though I still held hope it'd be released by the end of the year.)

Knowing that the game will ship next year (I'm betting March/April,) definitely gives the team time to improve the look of the game.

On another topic, I'm pretty disappointed in the direction Microsoft Games Studios is taking during this console generation. So far they've only released 4 games: PDZ, Kameo, PGR3, and N3 and their overall quality has left much to be desired. I'd categorize only PGR3 as a great title, while Kameo would be a good one, and the other two falling to mediocre and below average (PDZ, and N3 respectively.) Let's hope Viva Piñata and Crackdown are not delayed, and manage to at least to be good titles.

jax (old)

Banned
Himuro said:
So you're hating on a game you haven't played because of superficial reasons?

so graphics = superficial?

NEXT GEN Baby~!

til its released, and people have played it, maybe you should run around GAF and stop people from condemning all those prereleased stills of games for all the consoles.

jax (old)

Banned
IJoel said:
Let's hope Viva Piñata and Crackdown are not delayed, and manage to at least to be good titles.

Viva looks broken.. quite literally, and the concept of a god game for kids + the interface of interacting = :S I thought itd be a platformer. It might do okay though.

Crackdown gives me massive Brute Force vibes. But hey, skip thought it was better than Saints Row

This is really ridiculous. All of a sudden judging screenshots (and screenshots alone, mind you) before the game is done isn't fair? When did that law get passed? Was there a memo?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Jax said:
Viva looks broken.. quite literally, and the concept of a god game for kids + the interface of interacting = :S I thought itd be a platformer. It might do okay though.

Crackdown gives me massive Brute Force vibes. But hey, Luke thought it was better than Saints Row

Fixed. And have you played Viva or Crackdown? Or are you basing your vibes on screenshots and videos?

This game will look good in motion. Why is there so much discussion based on screenshots. I thought we all agreed that screenshots don't really give you an idea of anything, with the exception of maybe art-style.

buckfutter said:
This is really ridiculous. All of a sudden judging screenshots (and screenshots alone, mind you) before the game is done isn't fair? When did that law get passed? Was there a memo?

Gaf celebrity + not on a 600 dollar machine!!!!!!!!!!!!

(the contrast is glaring)

Deezel

DenogginizerOS said:
You sure are giving up easily after a few screenshots.

and his toys are evacuating the pram!

.. Me, i'm completely happy at how it's looking so far, based on what i know about the game and with more tweaks to come, all the better. That's about all i feel i need to say in a thread about the release of a few early screenshots.

Fredrik

I don't know what you all is complaining about, I think the game looks great. Day one purchase. I'm a bit sad to hear that we might not see it on the shelves this year though. I'm over RR6 now and I need my 60fps fix.

IJoel

Moderation Unlimited said:
This game will look good in motion. Why is there so much discussion based on screenshots. I thought we all agreed that screenshots don't really give you an idea of anything, with the exception of maybe art-style.

I don't agree with this. Screenshots can give a reasonable representation of lighting, models (car models in this case, obviously,) and environments. Obviously, they don't provide with nearly as much information as a movie.

The thing here is that MGS announced this game without providing any real-time media, but making sure everyone knew it'd include Global Illumination, 4xAA, AF (I think,) and run at 60 fps. When you set that kind of bar, which hasn't really been done in a next gen title so far, you are essentially setting really high expectations. Couple this with the fact that we all thought the release date would be this year, and thus the game would've been quite close to completion, and you have a recipe for backlash when screenshots look less than great.

Last Hope

Well Che, lots of people are pissed off at the graphics. They don't look so great but I can excuse them so long as the game runs at a solid 60fps. These graphics look similar to the quality of MotoGP and that game had the worst frame rate drops in any racing game I have ever played, worse than NFSMW which is hard to beat.

My beef with the leaked pictures is the motion blur. You said it would be subtle unlike PGR3 where it is way over the top excessive and looks fake on top of that. Although it looks more realistic, it seems it is being way overused (which most certainly does not help the screens). If this is going to be the way it is, we need a tuner bar for the blur. In my case, I'd probably turn it off completely.

There should be no reason that you can't add this. You may claim time but unless you have some really crappy programming in the engine, it sould be just a matter of changing one or two variables. Since the blur is most likely an after effect, you won't have to worry about frame rates with or without motion blur.

There will be plenty besides me who will be able to excuse the graphics but won't be able to excuse the over the top motion blur. So I think to save face for probably 5-10% of players, the least you can do is add a tuner bar in the options. Should take no more than an hour.

Gek54

Last Hope said:
There will be plenty besides me who will be able to excuse the graphics but won't be able to excuse the over the top motion blur. So I think to save face for probably 5-10% of players, the least you can do is add a tuner bar in the options. Should take no more than an hour.

DO IT!

llTll

Banned
when a launch title like PGR3 look better than this, you will know that the game is still early in development.

The thing here is that MGS announced this game without providing any real-time media, but making sure everyone knew it'd include Global Illumination, 4xAA, AF (I think,)

WTF? I'll assume they mean some kind of mapping hack to approximate some fx, but its pretty silly if they actually said the game will have GI. Did they really say that?

DCX

DCX
Boards of Canada said:
Why release shots then?
So people like you and just about 99.9% of all the intranets can talk and then either:

A) Crow is served
B) bullshots
C) next, next gen game comes and rinse and repeat

DCX

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
llTll said:
when a launch title like PGR3 look better than this, you will know that the game is still early in development.
PGR3 looks better than most games available on the 360 as of this moment. Prior to launch, I'm not so sure that developers knew where to aim (in regards to visual quality). They each set their own bar and it just so happens that Bizarre set their bar extremely high (as they should have). Expectations were different last year and I believe that Bizarre was truly aiming to meet most of those expectations.

PGR3 has some issues (lower resolution, poor texture filtering, load times, and 30 fps), but all in all, it's one of the only titles to truly come close to reaching the lofty expectations people had prior to E3 2005. I think it will take a look of work and a lot of talent to match it (on the racing front).

GhaleonEB

Were NEW screens released? I just read through the last five pages and didn't see new ones posted, just confirmation that the others were real.

New screen? Can anyone confirm or deny this one?

f120065nn6.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Gek54 said:
checryy.gif

Potential? Holy shit, here we go again. Where have I heard that before? Oh right, from Sony. CG trailers, downgraded pics, over priced hardward(wheel) and now mother fuking 'potential'. Reaks of Sony.

If it wasnt for that one non blurred hood view shot I would kill myself now.

Why don't you develop a game? Show us how it's done.

And typhonsentra, SHUT UP

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jax said:
btw this is from someone who felt that che had very little need to respond to this thread in the first instance, but he took the bait and responded and now the fallout really isn't pretty.

Yeah, I know much of it was bait to make me look silly, but oh well. I think Sony fanboys aside, there are an equal number of folks here who are genuinely concerned about this game and I'm more than happy to address them. Lame photoshops of my face are just part of the job description, it seems -- but I'll live. :p

chespace said:
Yeah, I know much of it was bait to make me look silly, but oh well. I think Sony fanboys aside, there are an equal number of folks here who are genuinely concerned about this game and I'm more than happy to address them. Lame photoshops of my face are just part of the job description, it seems -- but I'll live. :p
how any developer can post on these forums is a mystery to me.

you must have really high self esteem.

Speevy

Banned
I think chespace is in a unique position of being level-headed enough to actually understand everything we expect from next generation consoles.

So if the game comes out and isn't all everyone had hoped, we're probably going to blame the 360, and not you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Moderation Unlimited said:

I'm getting tired of 'i'm sure it'll look good in motion' comments whenever anyone criticises a screenshot.

I'm also tired of people saying "I'm sure it'll play well"

People are comment on screenshots. They aren't necessarily making statements about gameplay expectations, or what it'll look like in motion. They are criticising what is in front of them.

Please stop putting words in peoples' mouths everyone.

IJoel

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
WTF? I'll assume they mean some kind of mapping hack to approximate some fx, but its pretty silly if they actually said the game will have GI. Did they really say that?

Yes they did.

FM2's Art Director said:
Q: We’ve announced that FM2 will be 60fps at 720p. Can you talk a bit about some of the other techniques we’ll be employing to make FM2 look next-gen?

JW: "We’re really taking full advantage of the immense graphics horsepower of the Xbox 360 to do some incredible things visually. Of course we’re 60fps at 720p, as you mention, but we’re also adding effects and features such as 4X anti-aliasing (no jaggies!), motion blur, high dynamic range lighting, global illumination and per-pixel car reflections updated at full frame rate. I could go on and on. Really a ton of stuff. Too much to list here."

Q: Actually, we should probably stop here or else we'll get caught by the fuzz. So are all the cars and tracks getting a boost in polygon counts in the models?

JW: "For sure. Nothing is making it into FM2 without significant work to make it truly "next-gen." This includes not only considerably more polygons but also a lot more texture resolution. This meant that we had to go back and recreate a lot of our textures from scratch, no simple “up-scaling” here. I can’t stand it when games combine new content that is of a noticeably higher visual quality and detail with older content that shipped in the last version."

A question for Che: Do you have any say in the media that is released for the game?

BTW, I think it's quite clear who are the trolls in this thread.

Top Bottom