• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 announced

I'm kind of impressed that all 5 of your posts are negative posts in this thread.

They want attention and that attention derails the thread.

The absolute WORST thing you can do to a troll is ignore them. It burns.

Don't quote them. Don't remind them of their post history. Don't mock them.

Simply act as if they don't exist.

Shaneus

Yep, one of the most exciting things for me in Xbox One.
Pretty much the *only* thing exciting for me. Hopefully they find a way to use the controllers on PC somehow, because I want to experience it but not if it means buying a console with so much negativity surrounding it.

Much better than a touchpad or whatever it was on PS4 that sounds lame and more like a "me too" approach than anything else.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you're not using a wheel you're not doing it right.
I'm more competitive with a controller. I've never had a real nice wheel+pedal setup, so maybe that would change my mind(I'm open to donations), but as it is, I'll have to side with lap times.

m23

I have the MS wheel, but rarely use it. I don't have a set up, so it takes time to pull it out and get comfortable. But it really is a great experience.

ShamePain

Banned
I'm kind of impressed that all 5 of your posts are negative posts in this thread.

Consider this - I actually like FM series, but it has seen hardly any major improvements since Forza 2. And from the looks of it FM5 will be no different, a few new cars, a few new tracks, a "whole new" tire model. Virtually all other racers now have dynamic lighting, there is really no excuse for not having it. GT 5 did it on 256mb of VRAM, while having higher resolution, more cars on track, better AI and a bunch of other things.

nib95

Banned
Not everyone has the room, time or money to have a wheel setup.

Granted, but seriously, it's a game changing addition. Well worth the investment if you have the spare expenditure.

I'm more competitive with a controller. I've never had a real nice wheel+pedal setup, so maybe that would change my mind(I'm open to donations), but as it is, I'll have to side with lap times.

It just takes a bit of adjustment time and practise is all. But I meant more for the experience. For me Sim games are literally a completely different experience altogether using a good wheel and pedals. Takes time to get used to it, but once you do...I mean, hyperbolic degree's of difference. To the extent that I almost don't even enjoy playing GT/Forza with a controller any more.

P.S, I don't mean to come off as condescending or pompous. I completely appreciate that not everyone has the time or money. It is an extreme and expensive luxury at the end of the day.

Revson

The game looks great, that's a given. Hopefully they put more thought into features for more dedicated players like tuning in lobbies, more layers for the paint editor, and the ability to resell locked designs. While Forza 3 and 4 were quite a step up in terms of graphics, they took away a lot of what made Forza special. Forza 5 is pretty much the only game that would persuade me to buy an XB1.

The game looks great, that's a given. Hopefully they put more thought into features for more dedicated players like tuning in lobbies, more layers for the paint editor, and the ability to resell locked designs. While Forza 3 and 4 were quite a step up in terms of graphics, they took away a lot of what made Forza special.

I think MS's whole philosophy with the X1 isn't so much about a graphical upgrade, that's a given. I think they really believe that a next generation features-set is where gaming is going.

That's why you hear so much about the cloud, rumble triggers, multitasking, etc. I think we'll be seeing an improvement in features on par with the improvement in graphics.

E3 will reveal.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I want it to look as good as it can but I really don't care if it's not the best looking racing game out there(It won't be). That's why I own a PC...

Yep, one of the most exciting things for me in Xbox One.

Completely agree, in the gamepad department they are doing everything amazing it seems, with the fixed d-pad the controller was almost perfect but now the even included better trigers with more range and rumble, they look like the Duke triggers and i remember those were the best for Forza 1.

I think MS's whole philosophy with the X1 isn't so much about a graphical upgrade, that's a given. I think they really believe that a next generation features-set is where gaming is going.

That's why you hear so much about the cloud, rumble triggers, multitasking, etc. I think we'll be seeing an improvement in features on par with the improvement in graphics.

E3 will reveal.

You hit the nail on the head. They are focusing on content and the actual overall experience over simply just what kind of hardware is put in the box.

Mascot

Consider this - I actually like FM series, but it has seen hardly any major improvements since Forza 2. And from the looks of it FM5 will be no different, a few new cars, a few new tracks, a "whole new" tire model. Virtually all other racers now have dynamic lighting, there is really no excuse for not having it. GT 5 did it on 256mb of VRAM, while having higher resolution, more cars on track, better AI and a bunch of other things.

How can you possibly deduce ANY of this from a short artistic trailer and some screenshots? Right now we literally know NOTHING about FM5 apart from the likelihood that Prague will feature as a venue and the McLaren P1 as a driveable car.

So the footage pretty much confirms No-time of day and No-weather. Dem static shadows, the infinite power of the cloud. GT5 is still technically superior.

Static lighting. It says it all.
But at least the cars don't look like plastic anymore and have windshields.

Mark my words guys, FM5 will just be an upscaled FM4 with the lighting from the homespaces finally getting it's way into the actual races.

I've heard enough of your mindless squabbles junior.

FM5 has seen only a teaser, of a prototype game that probably hasn't even gone gold yet.

banned to the ignore-list realm.

I've heard enough of your mindless squabbles junior.

FM5 has seen only a teaser, of a prototype game that probably hasn't even gone gold yet.

banned to the ignore-list realm.

Well played.

I do wonder about this shit.

Why do people go into threads with the purpose of talking trash about things that don't interest them or they don't like.

Wouldn't your time be better spent simply enjoying the things you like?!

Not everyone has the room, time or money to have a wheel setup.
Are you one of those people? You'd be able to on the cheap (and relatively well) if MS didn't force propriety bullshit on people.

I'll be pissed if they don't let me use my g27. They better not disappoint me at e3.

You guys really miss out on not having a wheel.

The lines you added were hilariously wrong (as they were entirely dependent on camera angle) but the general premise was correct.
The lines were supposed to be where the shadows would be if it were under the car. -_-

Snubbers

It's probably been discussed, but regarding weather, looking at this GIF,

forzaone9rzq7.gif

The tyre looks distinctly like their is water on that tyre..

Or is that some molten rubber effect from abusing the tyre?

Mascot

It's probably been discussed, but regarding weather, looking at this GIF,

http://abload.de/img/forzaone9rzq7.gif[img]

The tyre looks distinctly like their is water on that tyre..

Or is that some molten rubber effect from abusing the tyre?[/QUOTE]

As much as I'd like to think so, I don't think that's water on the tyre. Doesn't mean weather [I]isn't[/I] in the game of course, just not at that precise moment.

Maybe Helios can pop out from his hiding place behind the sofa and let us know for sure..? Che would have done so.

(I'm gonna keep trying until we get [I]something[/I])

saladine1

Nah, not wet. Just a new tyre look accentuated by the tyre wear..

A little OT but it seems that developers are finally realizing the importance of good audio.
iRacing, RaceRoom, pCars, GRID 2,..etc are games that have their audio drastically improved over previous iterations. It's just so nice to see this happening after so many years of sound languishing behind other areas.

Next gen hardware and techniques should benefit new games even more.
I'm so excited to hear what Wiswell and the Turn 10 audio team have done for FM5...

Mascot

A little OT but it seems that developers are finally realizing the importance of good audio.
iRacing, RaceRoom, pCars, GRID 2,..etc are games that have their audio drastically improved over previous iterations. It's just so nice to see this happening after so many years of sound languishing behind other areas.

Next gen hardware and techniques should benefit new games even more.
I'm so excited to hear what Wiswell and the Turn 10 audio team have done for FM5...

Ask Helios to post some audio clips! Che would have done so.

saladine1

Ask Helios to post some audio clips!

You know, I think it was during Forza 3 development that I asked Che for the same thing. A kind of "Guess the sound" game. He obliged. It was actually quite fun.

I also asked Codies for the same thing back in Toca 3 days,(do you remember that Helios?) They actually posted some teasers online and people tried to guess what the car was.

Helios, I understand if you can't do something like this just yet but how about a little later down the track?
Wouldn't hurt the promotion of the game and would be great fun too!

Mascot

Che was all about dem blurry iPhone pics.

I would kill for some blurry iPhone pics right now.

Actually, I'm getting a little worried about Helios. Do you think he might have had a fall or something? Can someone pop around and see if milk bottles are starting to pile up on his doorstop, maybe have a look through his letterbox and make sure he's not lying at the bottom of the stairs?

I would kill for some blurry iPhone pics right now.

Actually, I'm getting a little worried about Helios. Do you think he might have had a fall or something? Can someone pop around and see if milk bottles are starting to pile up on his doorstop, maybe have a look through his letterbox and make sure he's not lying at the bottom of the stairs?

Isn't he in the UK anyway, che was deep in Redmond country at the time.

eso76

As much as I'd like to think so, I don't think that's water on the tyre. Doesn't mean weather isn't in the game of course, just not at that precise moment.

Maybe Helios can pop out from his hiding place behind the sofa and let us know for sure..?

(I'm gonna keep trying until we get something)

little more than 10 days
i'm 100% sure day/night cycle is in.
weather..i'm sure they had plans to include it in fm4 and i'm also sure that light fog we see in Prague is a hint.

saladine1

little more than 10 days
i'm 100% sure day/night cycle is in.
weather..i'm sure they had plans to include it in fm4 and i'm also sure that light fog we see in Prague is a hint.

Having just plain old rain would be more than enough but imagine if you will PGR4's weather system!
Now that would be quite something..

Snubbers

I initially thought that, and the road is completely dry, but just looking at a frame grab,

You can see the rubber build up at the edge of the tyre, but the streaky effect around the tread blocks doesn't look like any 'wear' I can think of, that looks like drying water that is being flung out the tread..

qaOyNHs.jpg

I will of course remain skeptical, but if that's supposed to represent any kind of tyre wear effect they have missed that by a mile and inadvertantly come up with a great 'drying water' effect..

Obviously news is slow, so I guess scrutinising video frames is a sign of my desperation for more info..

The whole zoomed in on the tyre slo-mo section is just insanely detailed, so even if this is in-engine pre-rendered stuff, it bodes well for photo mode.. I can't believe that could be remotely 'replay' quality, but hey, if I'm wrong, I'll be very happy.

Other things I've noticed in the video,
- Alloys are now properly painted and the surface effect looks as good as the rest of the car (hurray!)
- No sign of suspension being visually modelled (will have to wait for news on if open wheelers are able to be included)
- It definitely is in-engine judging by the slightly off shaders on some plastics.

saladine1

I initially thought that, and the road is completely dry, but just looking at a frame grab,

Obviously news is slow, so I guess scrutinising video frames is a sign of my desperation for more info..

lol, I think that might be the case.

Anyhow, you said it yourself, there's no sign of water on the ground and the skies are clear.

You can see the rubber build up at the edge of the tyre, but the streaky effect around the tread blocks doesn't look like any 'wear' I can think of, that looks like drying water that is being flung out the tread..
It just looks like the lighter shade is where it has experienced most 'slip', and the darker streaks are where the tyre is still fresh (assuming it is a brand new tyre), where imperfections in the road surface have not grazed those parts yet.

Mascot

And banning everyone on FM.net...

To be fair, a lot of people on FM.net deserve to be banned purely for the sycophantic hero-worship they bestow on some of the moderators. In fact, I'd like to ban most of the moderators themselves over there just for abuse of power and thinking their shit doesn't smell.

PS the light grey on the tyre tread image above looks like cement dust from driving over grouted cobblestones to me.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
To be fair, a lot of people on FM.net deserve to be banned purely for the sycophantic hero-worship they bestow on some of the moderators. In fact, I'd like to ban most of the moderators themselves over there just for abuse of power and thinking their shit doesn't smell.

I never had a problem with the moderators.

However, pre and post launch FM3 the amount of people banned by Che for reason "other" (i.e none) would probably be in the hundreds.

Snubbers

It just looks like the lighter shade is where it has experienced most 'slip', and the darker streaks are where the tyre is still fresh (assuming it is a brand new tyre), where imperfections in the road surface have not grazed those parts yet.

The rubber build up on the tyre edge in the 'dark and shiny' effect would indicate that 'freshness' is not being represented by dark and shinyness?

I'm only discussing, not really believing at the moment, but a small part of me wonders if it's another sly hint at some feature, (e.g. Tyre Flex in the close up in FM3's E3 trailer)

Mascot

I never had a problem with the moderators.

However, pre and post launch FM3 the amount of people banned by Che for reason "other" (i.e none) would probably be in the hundreds.

I didn't have any direct problems with any of them*, it was more of a hive-mind attitude they seemed to have, a certain arrogant and patronising attitude.

*except: one did publicly insist to me, in all seriousness, very loudly and very patronisingly, that the flickering car shadows in pre-patch FM3 were a deliberate feature to let you know when you were drafting the car in front. I'd never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. Guy lost all credibility with me in an instant.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
*except: one did publicly insist to me, in all seriousness, very loudly and very patronisingly, that the flickering car shadows in pre-patch FM3 were a deliberate feature to let you know when you were drafting the car in front. I'd never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. Guy lost all credibility with me in an instant.

Oh wow...

That's... That's... wow...

On another note, I'm google mapping Prague and it looks like an amazing city for a track. It's not just 90 degree corners. Lets see if we can guess the layout.

Yo helios, prize for the winner :D

Mascot

Oh wow...

That's... That's... wow...

On another note, I'm google mapping Prague and it looks like an amazing city for a track. It's not just 90 degree corners. Lets see if we can guess the layout.

Yo helios, prize for the winner :D

This is my biggest dislike about city tracks - 90 degree blind corners flanked by tall buildings blocking the line-of-sight. That and barriers right next to the driving surface. If designed on this principle (like a lot of them unfortunately are) then races consist of accelerating along straights, slamming the brakes on, turning 90 degrees, rinse and repeat. There are some well-designed city tracks in racing games but generally I'm not a huge fan of them.

I much prefer 'proper' race tracks with free-flowing sweeping bends, great vistas, and large run-off areas.

saladine1

This is my biggest dislike about city tracks - 90 degree blind corners flanked by tall buildings blocking the line-of-sight. That and barriers right next to the driving surface. If designed on this principle (like a lot of them unfortunately are) then races consist of accelerating along straights, slamming the brakes on, turning 90 degrees, rinse and repeat. There are some well-designed city tracks in racing games but generally I'm not a huge fan of them.

I much prefer 'proper' race tracks with free-flowing sweeping bends, great vistas, and large run-off areas.

To each his own but some variation is always nice isn't it?

I loved Citta di Aria in GT4..

Mascot

To each his own but some variation is always nice isn't it?

I loved Citta di Aria in GT4..

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm all for variety in tracks, but city tracks do not need to consist entirely of 90 degree bends. Having all corners as clones of each other is pretty much the antithesis of 'variation'..!

Top Bottom