• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 announced

The rubber build up on the tyre edge in the 'dark and shiny' effect would indicate that 'freshness' is not being represented by dark and shinyness?

I'm only discussing, not really believing at the moment, but a small part of me wonders if it's another sly hint at some feature, (e.g. Tyre Flex in the close up in FM3's E3 trailer)
I see what you mean but I think it was more a case of 'let's show off how much tyre detail we can put into 2 seconds of footage', so the light has been positioned to catch off the surfaces just right.

Unless it happened to hit an unseen puddle, the trailer doesn't suggest that the tyres should be wet at all anyway...

Having said that I would be very surprised if wet weather wasn't in Forza 5.

Odahviing

Banned
There have to be atleast 2 tracks in Prague because at the beginning of the trailer they are showing a hill with lots of green and the only part of the town that I remember which looked like that was near the old castle where the President's residence is, which is a few miles away from the Karl's Bridge.

Either that or the track will be alot bigger.

The rubber build up on the tyre edge in the 'dark and shiny' effect would indicate that 'freshness' is not being represented by dark and shinyness?

I'm only discussing, not really believing at the moment, but a small part of me wonders if it's another sly hint at some feature, (e.g. Tyre Flex in the close up in FM3's E3 trailer)

Wet tires now look like molten in dust? This tire isn't wet, it's dust/sand from the cobblestone ground sticking to the hottest part of the tire. Driving on a sunny day in late August in the alps can leave you with similar wear on the tires.

It would be a catastrophic tire failure if the water would be expelled along the surface of the tire and not the edge. Especially for high performance tires.

This is the kind of detail I expect from next gen racing. Missing out on Forza will hurt me the most but I can't stomach buying an Xbone with all the other shit. Still, I will follow this games progress from the sidelines.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
There have to be atleast 2 tracks in Prague because at the beginning of the trailer they are showing a hill with lots of green and the only part of the town that I remember which looked like that was near the old castle where the President's residence is, which is a few miles away from the Karl's Bridge.

Either that or the track will be alot bigger.

That section is just after the short bridge of the track map I made.

It also goes past said castle bridge and also the town square.

AMUSIX

That section is just after the short bridge of the track map I made.

It also goes past said castle and town square.

Odahviing is talking about Prague castle, which is up on the hill. Your little section past the short bridge is actually a small city park with no elevation, and a narrow walking path, not a road.

ekO3d1y.png

I'd have to go back and look at the trailer again, but I believe the section of road in question is either on the hill leading up the the Hrad or the other hill towards the Observatory (but I'm not sure if the angle works for that).

Odahviing

Banned
So lets take a look at this:

This is the view angle as seen in the Trailer. You can see the Karl's Bridge in the far distance
sdsds4l50rbanpw.png

The same but from above:

efef0p6dleoy7t.png

and here a closer look at the Karl's Bridge and Tower:

dea735823b61e5bc236dbf09d3636636.png

Either there are more tracks in Prague or the track shown in the trailer is bigger than you thought.

EDIT: replaced the screenshots!

This is the view angle as seen in the Trailer. You can see the Karl's Bridge in the far distance
fm51otrdxlq680.png

The same but from above:

fm52q56s7ubld1.png

Either there are more tracks in Prague or the track shown in the trailer is bigger than you thought.

MS Paint all up in this bitch!

:p

Odahviing

Banned
i just stumbled across a mistake i made. Either those blue highlighted building's are wrong or they were placed wrong ingame.

EDIT: I know my mistake!

I will re upload a better pic. The second bridge is the karls bridge and not the third!

AMUSIX

Also, the bridge they're racing under is one bridge north of the one you thought...(the one you have, again, is only a walking path...Chechuv Most is that green steel, arched base bridge, very distinctive in the city:
kfh0DmMm.jpg

sorry, that was for Satan's Reverence

edit: in Odahviing's scribbled image, the green park, leading up to where the statue of Lenin used to be, is most likely the area the cars are racing down...however, the angle is a touch wrong...going by just the angle, it looks closer to the area just to the west of that.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
You're definitely right.

That park shot is looking at the prague metronome I think but I'm struggling to find a section of road in there that suits that corner profile which being close to the metronome.

So it is probably a lot bigger than I first thought or there is a street track and a park track perhaps.

AMUSIX

Gah, how did I not see the metronome there??

Ok, yeah, the road they're on just doesn't exist.

edit: here you can see the metronome in the upper left corner:

the black road in the Forza video leading straight towards it gives you where the road they're on is, and that doesn't quite line up

BADNED

fm51otrdxlq680.png

The same but from above:

fm52q56s7ubld1.png

The ingame shot is from the Letna Park pointing towards Vltava river with its bridges but you're pointing the wrong briges. Karlův most is the secong bridge not the third. The first bridge is Mánesův. ;)

Gah, how did I not see the metronome there??

Ok, yeah, the road they're on just doesn't exist.

edit: here you can see the metronome in the upper left corner:

the black road in the Forza video leading straight towards it gives you where the road they're on is, and that doesn't quite line up
The environment was optimized a bit for the racing action. ;)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So the park section seems to be mostly fictional roads but in a real area.

Also, that under bridge section, they would need to be on that road for quite some time as the only part along there that could turn onto it is right next to the next bridge further east north east.

T10 got some splainin to do.

:|

Because the "optomised" nurburgring was so welcomed.

Please tell me it's only that park section and not other parts of the city aswell.

Odahviing

Banned
The ingame shot is from the Letna Park pointing towards Vltava river with its bridges but you're pointing the wrong briges. Karlův most is the secong bridge not the third. The first bridge is Mánesův. ;)

I know I know, Look back at my original post, i already changed it ^^

I'm fascinated by this track because 2 monhts ago I was there and it was really amazing to see it now ingame :3

saladine1

Firelight Technologies today announced that its cutting edge audio technology has been optimized to support Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft

The high performance processor and dedicated Scalable Hardware Audio Processing Engine (SHAPE) is fully utilized by FMOD Studio to deliver next generation audio for the next generation of games. Authorized Xbox One developers and publishers can download an evaluation today.

“We’re thrilled to be working with Turn 10 on the Forza Motorsport franchise for Xbox One. They’re really pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in game audio.” said Raymond Biggs, lead developer for FMOD Studio. “They’re doing things in Forza Motorsport 5 that just weren’t possible with the last generation of consoles and audio tools. I know gamers are going to be blown away.”

http://www.fmod.org/fmod-news.html

Good days ahead people, jolly good days ahead..

BADNED

:|

Because the "optomised" nurburgring was so welcomed.

Please tell me it's only that park section and not other parts of the city aswell.
The 'Ring decisions were from an old era which survived far too long for obvious reasons.

The city received the standard beauty corrections for city environments in a racing game. Removing some race flow hindering bits like poles, pavements, ..., nothing serious.

AMUSIX

Hey, it's Amusix! Long time no see. We must be getting near the launch of a new Forza title..!

Still got Games On?

heh, I'm here, still read everything, just don't post as much.

Closed up the store at the end of last year because I sort of knew what was coming in the next generation. It was interesting to shut down while it was a success, though...lot of confused people :) Gave me time to move on to other things.

As for Forza...just can't keep away. And with my family's home city now included, there's no way I'm not owning this one. When I first saw the video, I could tell that either we were seeing multiple tracks in Prague, or some liberties were taken. Suppose I could have guessed on that one.

I'm hoping that Prague will be their new 'showcase track' the way Montserrat was for 3 and the Bernese Alps was for 4. However, I doubt that's the case, as the city really wouldn't provide the sort of racing that would be called for. In which case, I hope we get a new flagship track in a new setting (something woodsy, like the Sierras would be cool).

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Damn, call me intrigued.

The 'Ring decisions were from an old era which survived far too long for obvious reasons.

The city received the standard beauty corrections for city environments in a racing game. Removing some race flow hindering bits like poles, pavements, ..., nothing serious.

Nice to know you can be so candid.
Does that mean it's finally been fixed?

And an entirely fictional section of road is a little more than "nothing serious" though you would be hard pressed to find people hating on poles and pavements being altered to suit a race track.

In the end though, is prague going to be another 55 minute a lap track because they only really work in theory and not in practice.

eso76

updated ring ???

Mascot

heh, I'm here, still read everything, just don't post as much.

Closed up the store at the end of last year because I sort of knew what was coming in the next generation. It was interesting to shut down while it was a success, though...lot of confused people :)

Ah, that's a shame. Must have been a tough decision. I heard nothing but good things about that place.

Anyway, welcome back to Forzaland!

Hey Helios, see how easy it is? Just a few little nuggets here and there and we'll love you forever.

Ty4on

I enjoy all this track layout speculation. :)

I'm hoping its a large Positano/Kaido-like track.

Don't make a track with just hairpins!
Make it more Maple Valley than Snake/Positano/Kaido. I want to go full throttle in cars that have more than 100hp as well.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Don't make a track with just hairpins!
Make it more Maple Valley than Snake/Positano/Kaido. I want to go full throttle in cars that have more than 100hp as well.

I really don't get the attraction of hairpin to hairpin to hairpin to hairpin to hairpin to hairpin tracks.

Oh lord, can only find 1 user created race at the moment in FM4. Can't join it because phatom "network problem".

Mascot

I enjoy all this track layout speculation. :)

Yeah, I love it too. Reminds me of the fun we had analysing the early Montserrat footage from FM3 and the shockwaves that ensued when we realised that several separate tracks might link together to form one big behemoth. Good times!

Mascot

Me neither. Fujimi Kaido had some nice sections where you'd hold on for dear life, but Positano was nice scenery and gas-brake-gas-brake-gas-brake...

Don't forget the Crime Against Gaming that was the compulsory R-class races on Positano.

What were Turn 10 thinking?

eso76

when did FM bother to replicate authentic city layouts ?

Maybe Prague was being modeled for PGR5 but the game was scrapped and tracks were absorbed by FM5 :p

Positano and Kaido are great with the right cars.
Kaido in particular, using an old RWD and a decent wheel...probably the most fun i ever had in a videogame ever.

Mascot

when did FM bother to replicate authentic city layouts ?

Maybe Prague was being modeled for PGR5 but the game was scrapped and tracks were absorbed by FM5 :p

Or maybe, just maybe, FM5 has a separate arcade mode which is a thinly-disguised PGR-a-thon?

Ty4on

Positano and Kaido are great with the right cars.
Kaido in particular, using an old RWD and a decent wheel...probably the most fun i ever had in a videogame ever.

Was it just my
controller :(
driving style or did the 914 snap/slide in the most beautiful way when going downhill in Kaido?

Seanspeed

Banned
I really don't get the attraction of hairpin to hairpin to hairpin to hairpin to hairpin to hairpin tracks.
Kaido and Positano had lots of hairpins, sure, but being very vertical/mountain-based tracks, thats inevitable. But you're exaggerating if you say thats all there is. Each has a large variety of different corners, a lot of them really fun.

I think the more time you spend on them and learn them, the more you start to feel the 'flow' of them. You definitely dont need to be a drifter to appreciate them. Driving them has a very nice sense of going somewhere, which is whats great about these sorts of regular road tracks. You're not just on some nebulous, 3 mile track.

They just serve a different purpose that I enjoy. I hate racing on them. I much prefer to just be on my own, driving against the clock or messing around in a Radical or something, having fun.

Yeah, I love it too. Reminds me of the fun we had analysing the early Montserrat footage from FM3 and the shockwaves that ensued when we realised that several separate tracks might link together to form one big behemoth. Good times!
Yea, I remember amar mentioning something pretty early on in the thread about the places in the video being far apart from each other, which made me think of that, too. Maybe the trailer was meant to be dissected like this again, to see if the community could kind of figure it out?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Probably way too hard to do with all the racing lines that have to be calculated, but those overhead shots make me wish this made a comeback:
72600027wg.jpg

could be forza's answer to the gt track creator.

also, since amalfi/positano is being discussed, i have to chime in and say amalfi long is far and away the BEST track forza has ever had. god, i had so much fun time trialing that in B class cars. gave fm3 a distinct asphalt rally type of experience the series was and has been lacking since it was dropped in fm4. i really REALLY hope it returns in 5, or we get something similar.

Snubbers

Wet tires now look like molten in dust? This tire isn't wet, it's dust/sand from the cobblestone ground sticking to the hottest part of the tire. Driving on a sunny day in late August in the alps can leave you with similar wear on the tires.

??? I think you have it backwards, I'm saying the outer part of the tyre is so reflective that it 'looks' like it's wet.. the duller/lighter inner parts could be dust (although it is a streaky pattern, you'd think it'd be very uniform) or to me they look like standard dull dry rubber..

No big deal.. I'm sure it's T10 messing up their shaders again making surfaces look really odd..

Now that's more like some real news!!!! :)

The SHAPE engine has been mentioned on Beyond3D, maybe even BKillian over there worked closely on it, and it is supposed to be some quite hefty audio processing hardware that will take the burden of the main CPU..

Mind you, what can you do in audio that would be 'next gen'???

Yes, and then cry when you realize your $1000+ investment might not be usable for your favorite game......

:'(

.. And there has been tears =(

Either way, MS can either support the wheel, which I will then (most likely) buy an Xbox One with Forza at launch, or they cannot, and I will buy a PS4 which will most likely carry over support (still not 100% sure on this yet) and I'll play their racing games.

I've said it before, but Xbox used to be for Halo, with Halo 4 I'm leaning away from that and I realized I spent more time on Forza 3 and Forza 4 than any other game on the 360. So it is a "system seller" for me.

Your move MS (and Fanatec)!

cbox

could be forza's answer to the gt track creator.

also, since amalfi/positano is being discussed, i have to chime in and say amalfi long is far and away the BEST track forza has ever had. god, i had so much fun time trialing that in B class cars. gave fm3 a distinct asphalt rally type of experience the series was and has been lacking since it was dropped in fm4. i really REALLY hope it returns in 5, or we get something similar.

This, I had some of my most memorable races with friends on this track. Really need more a-b and 10km+ tracks in 5.

p3tran

Banned
??? I think you have it backwards, I'm saying the outer part of the tyre is so reflective that it 'looks' like it's wet.. the duller/lighter inner parts could be dust (although it is a streaky pattern, you'd think it'd be very uniform) or to me they look like standard dull dry rubber..

No big deal.. I'm sure it's T10 messing up their shaders again making surfaces look really odd..

it looks wet on the top side because T10 needs to tone down the "sun reflection" property in ALL assets :)
aaand a little bit of contrast too :)

sneaky77

.. And there has been tears =(

Either way, MS can either support the wheel, which I will then (most likely) buy an Xbox One with Forza at launch, or they cannot, and I will buy a PS4 which will most likely carry over support (still not 100% sure on this yet) and I'll play their racing games.

I've said it before, but Xbox used to be for Halo, with Halo 4 I'm leaning away from that and I realized I spent more time on Forza 3 and Forza 4 than any other game on the 360. So it is a "system seller" for me.

Your move MS (and Fanatec)!

The only hope I have is that since it seems that Xbox One is going to allow usb hard drives to be connected that the usb won't be propietary this time

Seanspeed

Banned
Mind you, what can you do in audio that would be 'next gen'???
Not sure exactly how it works, but there's a pretty big jump in quality from DVD audio to BluRay audio(one of the more impressive things for me about BluRay), so I'm guessing something along those lines.

Top Bottom