• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Fox Mulder

Im glad that all the tracks from Forza 5 are in but with only 5 location left in the list I think Forza have too many official tracks and not so many fictional ones.

To me one of the things that make Forza special are the fictional tracks, thats was one of the reasons why Forza 5 was so disappointing, I can race those tracks in almost every other game, having nurburgring, lemans and Spa are must but they are not a distintive element any more.
I want Fujimi Kaido, Mapple Valley, Sedona, Rally di Positano, Camino Viejo, etc.

Forza 4 had a balance in this, I hope we get Suzuka and the rest of the track will be fictional.

i actually prefer the fake suzuka in pcars. Raced the real one a million times in plenty of games, a fantasy take is fresh and fun, while being close enough to the real one.

willbsn13

Few little bits of info

Interview w/Chris Bishop @ Forza Spain press event. Article is in spanish, was a good read though even with google translate lol. Talks about Japanese Tracks (or lack thereof, doesn't rule out there return though),confirms online spectating (if that hasn't already been confirmed) and other stuff.

http://www.forzamotorsport.es/2015/07/entrevista-con-chris-bishop-jefe-de.html

Dan also confirmed the Club configuration of Daytona

https://twitter.com/dan_greenawalt/status/622460026888679428

Man in between these car announcements, there is very little news for this game. I don't know if that should get me more excited or disconcerted.

ShamePain

Banned
Few little bits of info

Interview w/Chris Bishop @ Forza Spain press event. Article is in spanish, was a good read though even with google translate lol. Talks about Japanese Tracks (or lack thereof, doesn't rule out there return though),confirms online spectating (if that hasn't already been confirmed) and other stuff.

http://www.forzamotorsport.es/2015/07/entrevista-con-chris-bishop-jefe-de.html

Dan also confirmed the Club configuration of Daytona

https://twitter.com/dan_greenawalt/status/622460026888679428

Man in between these car announcements, there is very little news for this game. I don't know if that should get me more excited or disconcerted.

They're probably gonna go all out at Gamescom, the game will go gold shortly after so all the content will be polished at that point.

Mascot

The mediocre FM5 reviews would have hurt Turn 10. Being the highest-rated console racing game was a badge of honour for the studio (wasn't it mentioned in promos?) so I imagine Dan will come out swinging with FM6. I wouldn't be too worried if I was you. The biggest danger I guess is how reviewers will react to the static weather and light conditions compared to the dynamic versions available elsewhere.

Lettuce

The mediocre FM5 reviews would have hurt Turn 10. Being the highest-rated console racing game was a badge of honour for the studio (wasn't it mentioned in promos?) so I imagine Dan will come out swinging with FM6. I wouldn't be too worried if I was you. The biggest danger I guess is how reviewers will react to the static weather and light conditions compared to the dynamic versions available elsewhere.

Have they said what weather and lighting presets there are, ie....

Dry
Drizzle
Shower
Down pour
Storm
Wet

Dawn
Morning
Afternoon
Evening
Night

and i take it you can select what you want for every track and what ever combination (Down Pour & Evening)....i mean there wont be a track where it can only be raced in a certain weather condition?? Also have they mention any snow environments??... seems like PGR4 was the last game to have ice/snow

ShamePain

Banned

Most probably don't care as long as there are tons of cars/tracks. Dynamic time/weather didn't help GT/PC get higher scores than 360's Forzas. FM5 was a bit of a misfire because the critics are usually more harsh on launch titles plus the whole Xbone policies controversy, micro transactions, lower amount of cars and tracks. T10 kind of got pulled in the whirlpool of negativity surrounding everything Xbox. Hell, it's even more funny because I haven't seen a single reviewer/player criticize Horizon 2's car list even though the pure numbers were exact same as FM5 - 200 at launch, and there wasn't much negativity towards DLC compared to FM5. Pretty ironic honestly.

AristoCat

That is mostly because a lot of DLC cars for FM5 were cars from past Forza entries and not really new, and carrying some modelisation errors. ( and that continue, as some pointed the door handle on the Challenger)

FH2 was not prone to that critic due to the fact that the game had more content than the first one. And the DLC more novelty than recycled cars.

As a big fan of the franchise, that's how I see it.

Trup1aya

and i take it you can select what you want for every track and what ever combination (Down Pour & Evening)....i mean there wont be a track where it can only be raced in a certain weather condition??

No, you can't pick whatever you want for every track. Some of that boils down to realism (no downpours in places it doesn't rain), but I'm sure a lot of it is due to their technical approach...

Mascot

Most probably don't care as long as there are tons of cars/tracks. Dynamic time/weather didn't help GT/PC get higher scores than 360's Forzas. FM5 was a bit of a misfire because the critics are usually more harsh on launch titles plus the whole Xbone policies controversy, micro transactions, lower amount of cars and tracks. T10 kind of got pulled in the whirlpool of negativity surrounding everything Xbox.

Yeah, all of that probably had some kind of influence but there's no escaping the fact that FM5 was very light on content and features when considered in the historical context of the franchise. And being a launch title is absolutely no excuse for that, despite perpetual claims by apologists to the contrary - the date was imposed by Microsoft onto an in-house studio, so either accept the flak for the lack of content, delay the game until it's feature-rich, or release it as a 'prologue' at a budget price. The consumer really shouldn't have to suffer because of some self-inflicted deadline.

SparksBCN

Neo Member

It says so in one of the loading screens of the E3 demo. Saw it first hand when trying the demo in the Spain press event.

By the way, I'm the one who interviewed Chris Bishop in the link posted by willbsn13. If you have any questions (I know the Google translation is far from perfect and some things get lost), feel free to ask.

ShamePain

Banned
Yeah, all of that probably had some kind of influence but there's no escaping the fact that FM5 was very light on content and features when considered in the historical context of the franchise. And being a launch title is absolutely no excuse for that, despite perpetual claims by apologists to the contrary - the date was imposed by Microsoft onto an in-house studio, so either accept the flak for the lack of content, delay the game until it's feature-rich, or release it as a 'prologue' at a budget price. The consumer really shouldn't have to suffer because of some self-inflicted deadline.

But really, it's only light on content compared to FM4, by itself it's easily the biggest sim racer on currentgen by far still. It has more tracks than Forza 2 had. And if 200 cars is considered light, then what the hell do driveclub, project cars and other racers qualify as? Gran Turismo 5 had 200 cars and that was after 6 years of development. Forza 6 already has more cars than GT6.

0racle

Have they said what weather and lighting presets there are, ie....

Dry
Drizzle
Shower
Down pour
Storm
Wet

Dawn
Morning
Afternoon
Evening
Night

and i take it you can select what you want for every track and what ever combination (Down Pour & Evening)....i mean there wont be a track where it can only be raced in a certain weather condition?? Also have they mention any snow environments??... seems like PGR4 was the last game to have ice/snow

I believe thats the case, I think only some tracks are night and rain

m23

Yeah, all of that probably had some kind of influence but there's no escaping the fact that FM5 was very light on content and features when considered in the historical context of the franchise.

But really, it's only light on content compared to FM4, by itself it's easily the biggest sim racer on currentgen by far still. It has more tracks than Forza 2 had. And if 200 cars is considered light, then what the hell do driveclub, project cars and other racers qualify as? Gran Turismo 5 had 200 cars and that was after 6 years of development. Forza 6 already has more cars than GT6.

He didn't mention GT or DC, he specifically compared it to previous games in the franchise. Forza 5 was very light on content when compared to the previous games, although Forza 3 and 4 had the benefit of being added upon from Forza 2. Granted, Forza 5 was a launch game for a new console. The car count didn't hurt the game for me, but the low number of tracks was very noticeable.

T10 was up front about the new engine and not wanting to bring old content forward.

Consumers had the choice to skip it and wait for FM6, as some here did. Forza fans who accepted it and chose to play got Long Beach, Road America and Nurburgring added at no charge.

Waiting until 2014 or 2015 to release FM5 may have been an option, but I suspect that the kind of person still playing a Forza game a month after launch is OK with the way this played out.

I don't know if that makes them apologists or just race fans who can see past the issues and appreciate the game because it shines where it matters most.

ShamePain

Banned
He didn't mention GT or DC, he specifically compared it to previous games in the franchise. Forza 5 was very light on content when compared to the previous games, although Forza 3 and 4 had the benefit of being added upon from Forza 2. Granted, Forza 5 was a launch game for a new console. The car count didn't hurt the game for me, but the low number of tracks was very noticeable.

It's kind of a lose-lose situation, if they cut content and redo assets from scratch people complain the numbers are lower, if they port content people complain that they're lazy and aren't taking advantage of nextgen hardware.

m23

It's kind of a lose-lose situation, if they cut content and redo assets from scratch people complain the numbers are lower, if they port content people complain that they're lazy and aren't taking advantage of nextgen hardware.

Yeah, I understand that. I honestly wouldn't know what to do in their situation. The game was phenomenal in almost every other way, and was the reason I bought my Xbox at launch at it was well worth it.

I'm just happy Forza 6 seems to be filled with content....just a couple months to go!

Yeah, I understand that. I honestly wouldn't know what to do in their situation. The game was phenomenal in almost every other way, and was the reason I bought my Xbox at launch at it was well worth it.

They made the right choice, quality over quantity and I think they would make the same decision every time.

Re scanning/doing all the tracks for Forza 5 also probably helped them for Forza 6 as well, it was a good trade off and we got the other 3 tracks as DLC later too.

In retrospect, I think MS and T10 made the right decisions. The final FM5 product is a strong Forza title, and it set the stage for FH2 and FM6.

Synth

In retrospect, I think MS and T10 made the right decisions. The final FM5 product is a strong Forza title, and it set the stage for FH2 and FM6.

Yea, I think the idea that the customer "had to suffer" due to FM5 is ridiculous. I've played FM5 for longer than any other game on XB1, and my idea of suffering as a Forza fan would actually be having a GT like scenario, where the series is simply absent for multiple years of the console's life.

Lettuce

No, you can't pick whatever you want for every track. Some of that boils down to realism (no downpours in places it doesn't rain), but I'm sure a lot of it is due to their technical approach...

Errrr....it rains everyone at some point otherwise nothing would live!!

I believe thats the case, I think only some tracks are night and rain

How quaint!!!!, Project Cars allows you to select what environment effects you want what ever the track and does it dynamically and your leisure!!!......if they cant give as dynamic weather and time of day/night at least let us select what 'pre-baked' environment settings we want for ALL tracks!!....its like going back to GT3 on the PS2!!!!

ShamePain

Banned
Errrr....it rains everyone at some point otherwise nothing would live!!

How quaint!!!!, Project Cars allows you to select what environment effects you want what ever the track and does it dynamically and your leisure!!!......if they cant give as dynamic weather and time of day/night at least let us select what 'pre-baked' environment settings we want for ALL tracks!!....its like going back to GT3 on the PS2!!!!

Some tracks don't get much rain in real life or don't hold races when it rains.

Yea, I think the idea that the customer "had to suffer" due to FM5 is ridiculous. I've played FM5 for longer than any other game on XB1, and my idea of suffering as a Forza fan would actually be having a GT like scenario, where the series is simply absent for multiple years of the console's life.

Yep Forza was a constant for me as I A,B,X,Y'd my way through Ryse in 2 sittings and did Battle with BF4 not working and deleting my single player progress not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 times.

SparksBCN

Neo Member

Yeah, also Project Cars doesn't reach 1080p and can't mantain a rock solid 60 fps. Aaaaaaand also you haven't seen rain in any game as well recreated (physics wise) as in Forza 6.

I think it boils down to space on disk. Having multiple variants for each track (different levels of rain, different times of day) would take too many GB's, considering they should prepare a different prebaked version for any variable, since they aren't using a dynamic system.

I can live with that seeing that they are offering the best night and weather recreation I've seen in any racing game up to this day. The night really looks like night and you can feel the tarmac being colder and having less grip (specially on a wheel), and the rain, with the puddles and the aquaplaning it's just astonishing. I take that over having dynamic conditions which don't affect the driving too much, as pCARS, like most sims, just reduces the grip level when raining and that's all, but you can mantain the same racing line.

I wish Kaz would see the light and do the same for GT7.
If I'm driving non-premium car in GT6, I immediately ask myself, how much dev-time went into refitting the car to the newest physics and suspension engine and how thoroughly the data it's based on was researched and once I'm thinking that, I'm starting to question "is that realistic, would its 4WD handle like this" etc. and then I can't enjoy the car as much as a premium car even if I get over it not looking as great.

I love both, GT and Forza, but Turn 10 made the right decision with dialing down the car and track count in FM5 to give us next-gen racing in a day-1 launch title. I doubt Polyphony Digital will do that or IF then only because Sony put some pressure on them because they want Playstation 4 represented as the platform with the best graphics.

Im glad that all the tracks from Forza 5 are in but with only 5 location left in the list I think Forza have too many official tracks and not so many fictional ones.

I liked the balance in FM5, I just wish for more super-long tracks that feel like I drove somewhere just because I want to enjoy the roads there... Highway 1 in California, Furka Pass in Switzerland or the serpentines of Tianmen mountain in China for example. Stuff that feels like "real road" instead of circuit race track.

Gek54

The mediocre FM5 reviews would have hurt Turn 10. Being the highest-rated console racing game was a badge of honour for the studio (wasn't it mentioned in promos?) so I imagine Dan will come out swinging with FM6.

FM5's metascore is ridiculous. It is still the most polished and enjoyable sim driving. Metacritic is broken, it has the same amount of merit as the Nobel Peace prize.

Mascot

I think Daytona is a mistake, it's gonna be another track which will get old fast. What's the point of another oval.

Wasn't Sunset Peninsula a homage to Daytona anyway, but with a far, far superior infield? I've no idea why the time and effort went in to adding Daytona when Sunset already provided a far better fix.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm personally fine with only some locations having rain, I just hope the Nordschleife has both rain and night. Three times as hellish!

eso76

Considering they are not allowed longer dev cycles, yeah, it was the right decision.
They would never be able to get rid of the old assets otherwise, they just had to cut those old branches at some point

Porsche9146

Neo Member
Wasn't Sunset Peninsula a homage to Daytona anyway, but with a far, far superior infield? I've no idea why the time and effort went in to adding Daytona when Sunset already provided a far better fix.

Rolex-24h-Logo.jpg

Second biggest endurance race in the world, bigger than Sebring or Petit Le Mans, which both have tracks in solely for hosting those two races.

Ohmygod, they still haven't fixed the door handles on the Challenger? smdh.
I know, it would take 30 minutes by someone half competent to fix that. Looks like those handles are from the 2009 version and didn't get updated with the rest of the body. But apparently the priority is to release more games versus polished games.

FM5's metascore is ridiculous. It is still the most polished and enjoyable sim driving. Metacritic is broken, it has the same amount of merit as the Nobel Peace prize.

While a 79 is too low I can understand where it comes from. Forza 5 was quite disappointing for me, especially compared with Forza 4 which is in my oponion the best racing game out there.

The car list went from the best ever to just decent, 700 vs 200 , we lost lots of great cars and the DLC was not enought and composed of cars we already had in Forza 4 (all past Forza had great DLC)

The track was absolutly mediocre, almost all the fantasy tracks were lost and we also lost many real life tracks, including Nurburgring at launch.

We lost public custom lobbies, Storefront (I dont feel the new system is good enought), Auction house and clubs.

The soundtrack is the absolute worst, its forgetable and after Forza Horizon I was expecting that Turn10 would learn and make the soundtrack something especial, but no, they did the worse soundtrack of any Forza game.

The AI is way too agressive (and love to drive in clusters), combined career mode with 2 or 3 laps per event makes most of the races a pure paint tradding madness which I detest. The only way I can enjoy races in Forza 5 is making a custom race with 5 o 6 laps to take my time and avoid those aggressive idiots.

Anyways, Im a huge Forza fan that hopes Turn10 can deliver a real Forza 4 sequel, Forza 5 did damage Forza´s impecable reputation.

Fox Mulder

While a 79 is too low I can understand where it comes from. Forza 5 was quite disappointing for me, especially compared with Forza 4 which is in my oponion the best racing game out there.

The car list went from the best ever to just decent, 700 vs 200 , we lost lots of great cars and the DLC was not enought and composed of cars we already had in Forza 4 (all past Forza had great DLC)

The track was absolutly mediocre, almost all the fantasy tracks were lost and we also lost many real life tracks, including Nurburgring at launch.

We lost public custom lobbies, Storefront (I dont feel the new system is good enought), Auction house and clubs.

The soundtrack is the absolute worst, its forgetable and after Forza Horizon I was expecting that Turn10 would learn and make the soundtrack something especial, but no, they did the worse soundtrack of any Forza game.

The AI is way too agressive (and love to drive in clusters), combined career mode with 2 or 3 laps per event makes most of the races a pure paint tradding madness which I detest. The only way I can enjoy races in Forza 5 is making a custom race with 5 o 6 laps to take my time and avoid those aggressive idiots.

Anyways, Im a huge Forza fan that hopes Turn10 can deliver a real Forza 4 sequel, Forza 5 did damage Forza´s impecable reputation.

I agree with much of this, but it was still a solid, shiny racing game for launch that git greal support wit free tracks. I'm glad they made the hard choice to cut content for a new generation, it'll only make the games better going forward.

Mascot

Wonder if they've reached a standard where the models won't have to be done again from scratch next gen.

If they are all Autovista quality as claimed, then they should be good for a few generations yet. The FM car models have amazing detail and quality, best in the business no doubt.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wonder if they've reached a standard where the models won't have to be done again from scratch next gen.

If they are all Autovista quality as claimed, then they should be good for a few generations yet. The FM car models have amazing detail and quality, best in the business no doubt.

Well, they can always increase polygons. They could use full tessellation, or maybe next gen it will be ray tracing, so I don't think these models will last longer than Xbox One's lifespan, but I guess we are very, very close to the point of diminishing returns. The only issue I can see with the current models is any oval/circular edge still has some visible corners, so there is room for improvement in the polygon department.

Considering they are not allowed longer dev cycles, yeah, it was the right decision.
They would never be able to get rid of the old assets otherwise, they just had to cut those old branches at some point

It sounds silly, but I'm just glad I can drive an NSX, F40, or Enzo without recoiling in horror. It was great to finally see those FM1 monstrosities finally exorcised. The recaptured Nurburgring was a similarly long time coming, and thus that much more worth the wait.

There's IMSA cars (Though, admittedly, none of the current prototypes) and Daytona. That's pretty much all you need.

The C7.R is still conspicuously absent, (a wink and a nod will suffice, BADNED), but with the Glen and Daytona, we've got a decent slice of the Tudor Championship track roster. I recall rumors of Lime Rock Park being scanned a while back, and if we could only get VIR and CTMP as well, I'd be all set.

Well, they can always increase polygons. They could use full tessellation, or maybe next gen it will be ray tracing, so I don't think these models will last longer than Xbox One's lifespan.

Tessellation needs an existing model to tessellate and ray tracing is a method of rendering light, with little relation to models. Not sure why they would scrap the models after the Xbox One.

Top Bottom