• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four of the top ten pre-orders on US PSN are Xbox ports

Ozriel

M$FT
Because if actual sales aren't that high, the majority doesn't think those games are worth a purchase?

Just going by your logic.

Reviews are made by people who purchased or have used the product. And those who have done so for the four titles really like them.

Your position is as silly as claiming Returnal and Demon Souls remastered weren’t good games because they didn’t sell gangbusters.

Cyborg

I still can't believe that people pre-order (digital) games. Why? What's the point? I understand that you pre-order hardware to be sure to get one but games...........!

Killjoy-NL

Reviews are made by people who purchased or have used the product. And those who have done so for the four titles really like them.

Your position is as silly as claiming Returnal and Demon Souls remastered weren’t good games because they didn’t sell gangbusters.
Reviews are subjective.

But if actual sales aren't particularly high, it's an indication that said games lack enough pull.
Which is in large part why Xbox has to release them on Playstation and Nintendo.

Which in a way, shows they aren't good enough.

Last edited:
What bullshit is this
4 of those pre orders are one game lmao.
I don't think any game ever did something like this
Oh look call of duty is number 1,2 and 4th most pre ordered game of the month

Killjoy-NL

Gaf told US that Xbox games are trash hence why the console does not sell, yet when those games are available on PS they trend, doesn't It sounds suspicious to you?
The question is to what extent there's interest on Playstation for Xbox games.

There will always be people that buy them, if only for the fact that there are lots of former Xbox-owners.

And we also shouldn't ignore the fact that the Playstation installbase is much larger, so 1% of the installbase on Playstation isn't the same as 1% on Xbox.

Ozriel

M$FT
But if actual sales aren't particularly high, it's an indication that said games lack enough pull.
Which is in large part why Xbox has to release them on Playstation and Nintendo.

Which in a way, shows they aren't good enough.

Explain Sea of Thieves, then. Should be over 10 million units sold at this point. And yet it’s getting a port.

What bullshit is this
4 of those pre orders are one game lmao.
I don't think any game ever did something like this
Oh look call of duty is number 1,2 and 4th most pre ordered game of the month

Local man finally understands what SKUs are in a store.
These have different price points, so no sense in collapsing them into one. Haven’t you seen Steam Top Sellers list before?

Killjoy-NL

Explain Sea of Thieves, then. Should be over 10 million units sold at this point. And yet it’s getting a port.
What does that have to do with how much pull the game might have on Playstation irt actual sales?

And the reason it gets ported, is because the Xbox brand is dying. Now why would that be?

Aion002

Good for MS! For Xbox on the other hand....

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

Fredrik

Phil wasn't lying.

The flood gates will burst open.
At what cost? If they keep doing delayed releases it’ll slowly kill the platform since people learn that the console isn’t needed, if they do day 1 releases it’s suicide.

But if they do nothing it’ll slowly kill the platform too.

Whatever they do it’s more or less game over. Sad to see tbh.

I guess if they turn next gen Xbox into a Surface-team designed slick Windows PC box with a Xbox UI mode so you can run regular Steam things could improve. Then ”Xbox” will run Xbox games, Playstation games, emulators and will have mods.
It’s essentially how my living room PC is right now, minus the Xbox UI, and it has changed everything for me regarding my interest in standard consoles.

Killjoy-NL

At what cost? If they keep doing delayed releases it’ll slowly kill the platform since people learn that the console isn’t needed, if they do day 1 releases it’s suicide.

But if they do nothing it’ll slowly kill the platform too.

Whatever they do it’s more or less game over. Sad to see tbh.

I guess if they turn next gen Xbox into a Surface-team designed slick Windows PC box with a Xbox UI mode so you can run regular Steam things could improve. Then ”Xbox” will run Xbox games, Playstation games, emulators and will have mods.
It’s essentially how my living room PC is right now, minus the Xbox UI, and it has changed everything for me regarding my interest in standard consoles.
That's why people have been saying that MS should just go full 3rd party.

Xbox is done for.

Havoc2049

I still can't believe that people pre-order (digital) games. Why? What's the point? I understand that you pre-order hardware to be sure to get one but games...........!
Players who pre-order Sea of Thieves on PS5 will receive access to the Closed Beta, a weapon cosmetic set, an in-game Parakeet pet, and 2 pet outfits. Below is each pre-order bonus: Ruby Viper Weapon Set Scarlet Storm Parakeet Parakeet Kraken Outfit Parakeet Sea Dog Outfit Closed Beta access. Pre-Order Bonuses, Image Credit – Rare

Z O N E

They really need to just go 3rd party. Get Steam and other PC game stores on the Xbox, so people who want a simplistic way of playing their PC game library, can.

I would love to be able to play some of my Steam library from my bed cause my PC is in my other room.

There you go Microsoft. I won't charge you for this idea.

Bond007

I mean it makes sense- there is some hype with regards to Xbox porting over games.
There is naturally an untapped market of people that would have liked to play these games but wont or cant afford an Xbox too. Just like it would be if Sony did the same.
Xbox is sending well reviewed games that people know. Its a safe purchase for Playstation owners.

Last edited:

alienator

what im ultimately really interrested in is, how much money did these games make on xbox with its availability on GP vs how much money will these games make on ps5 stand alone.
ive been in a discussion with some people (not here) on how games on xbox dont sell because of gamepass but they tell me my face looks stupid.

Fredrik

They really need to just go 3rd party. Get Steam and other PC game stores on the Xbox, so people who want a simplistic way of playing their PC game library, can.

I would love to be able to play some of my Steam library from my bed cause my PC is in my other room.

There you go Microsoft. I won't charge you for this idea.
You won’t get Steam and other stores on a Xbox console, nothing on Steam will run on Xbox hardware, everything would have to be ported and the platform is too small for that, would be like Stadia with few and late ports.

What you might get is a Xbox branded PC with a Xbox user interface. That’s what I think they’ll do. Could possibly start Steam games through that UI like you do with games from other launchers on Steam.
And for bed gaming you could get a Xbox branded Windows handheld, with a Xbox UI.

I think Xbox as a traditional console will go away. The brand is kinda dead in that space.

Fredrik

That's why people have been saying that MS should just go full 3rd party.

Xbox is done for.
I don’t think they’ll go 3rd party, as in port everything to every box, but I think they’ll move fully into PC space with branded prebuilds and as said above do some kind of Xbox user interface, a big picture mode of sorts.

StueyDuck

Grounded just jumped up the list today likely due to the PS+ sale price.

#1. Sot Premium ($60 version)
#3. Grounded
#8. SoT standard ($40 version)
#9. SoT deluxe ($50 version)

odkWyUg.jpg
KOkT8HI.jpg
It's cool to see but there also isn't a whole lot coming out in general the next couple of months

StueyDuck

Lets get Starfield and Hellblade 2 on ps5. Then you will really see preorder numbers balloon. A lot of Bethesda fans are on ps5. And the other might as well be made by a sony fp studio.
Oof literally the two worst games to think of.

If I was a PS only owner it'd definitely be the trio, gears, forza (horizon) and halo that would ultimately seal the deal

I could see some situations for it to happen. Some people just don't care and want it ready to download while they are at work. So they preorder, then start the download at work, and then it's ready to go when they get home. One less step for them to do while at work (purchasing the game). Honestly if you're getting the game day 1 what does it matter if you preorder? The chances you get screwed over by some completely broken game is rare. It's never happened to me when I've preordered and I'm sure for casuals it never happens.

Oof literally the two worst games to think of.

If I was a PS only owner it'd definitely be the trio, gears, forza (horizon) and halo that would ultimately seal the deal

I would like Gears for me and my wife to do some coop. Knowing MS though they would somehow fuck that up and decide to remove it.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

what im ultimately really interrested in is, how much money did these games make on xbox with its availability on GP vs how much money will these games make on ps5 stand alone.
ive been in a discussion with some people (not here) on how games on xbox dont sell because of gamepass but they tell me my face looks stupid.
Sea of Thieves isn't a good game to compare, as it came out shorty after Gamepass launched. SoT debued on the sales charts at #2 in the US and #1 in the UK, so the Gamepass effect wasn't effecting sales that much when it launched. I'm an Xbox gamer and I bought a physical copy of SoT at launch in March of 2018, but didn't get Gamepass till like late 2019. SoT is also a constantly updated MMO without a subscription and free updates, so they fund updates with copies sold, micro transactions revenue (like any MMO, there are some major whales in the SoT community that have spent some major bank on cosmetics in SoT) and Seasonal Plunder Passes. SoT is Rare's most successful game ever and it's estimated that between Xbox, Windows and Steam, it has sold between 15-20 million copies + all the money that SoT has generated through digital transactions. Good luck figuring all that out to see if SoT makes more money on PS5 vs XB.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Doubt it, those are the good games. Nobody wants Starfield and Redfall
Starfield would definitely sell a decent amount of PS5. It wouldn't come anywhere remotely close to Skyrim or Fallout 4 levels, but it would instantly generate more revenue for MS on PS5 than it ever has on Xbox.

iHaunter

SoT retention going to drop by 90% after the first week. That game is straight garbage. I couldn't even slog through the first quarter of the Pirate of the Carribean story.

Top Bottom