• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fourth playable character in DKC: Tropical Freeze probably leaked by Amazon

Cranky will incarnate the opposite-to-super-guide-hard-mode of the game. Once you've released him from the barrel, he steals one heart to DK instead of giving him two, he doesn't let him to glide in the air and he forbids him to roll because back in his days heroes didn't need to roll in order to complete games.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
great news, love me some old kong

and for some reason, i find that boxart absolutely brilliant. Maybe it's just the characters' renders, so well made

Village

I know almost nothing about Donkey Kong, but why would anyone have a problem with this dude as the antagonist?

k_rool_01.png

I don't like him or the cremlings, they felt super generic, well that and everything in banjo kazooie. Conker was interesting though. The kongs i think are great.

Darryl

Banned
This is the best possible 4th character they could've picked. What the hell. Retro is on the god damn ball. I can relate to Cranky Kong a whole lot right now with how much gaming is changing.

If he wasn't just a normal 4th character and was instead his own Nintendo Hard mode, this game is shifting from a will buy when money is available to day #1.

rawktapus

So it seems like Cranky will ride on DK's back? I hope his special ability is to whoop DK's backside with his cane to make him go faster.

Neverfade

I've been out of the loop when it comes to Tropical Freeze.

Are they bringing back the SNES style tag-out character switching, or sticking with the DKC Returns bullshit of Diddy just being a monkey on your back?

D-e-f-

Banned
I've been out of the loop when it comes to Tropical Freeze.

Are they bringing back the SNES style tag-out character switching, or sticking with the DKC Returns bullshit of Diddy just being a monkey on your back?
coulda read the last page at least. answered there twice. same as in DKCR.

You must really love those bees to use them twice to support your opinion. However they are one of my most hated enemies in video game history :p
I couldn't find any other gifs.

Dr. Buni

3D World plus DK Tropical Freeze with the original Donkey Kong as playable character might me push towards buying a Wii U next year >_>
I wanted K. Rool. What happened to K. Rool? Are they getting rid of Kremlings for good?
Seems to be the case. Iirc Retro Studios said they don't want to use Kremlings in their games.

Berordn

I wanted K. Rool. What happened to K. Rool? Are they getting rid of Kremlings for good?

I'm surprised anyone actually expected to see them after DKCR created the Tiki Tak and then decided to show off a whole new set of villains for TF's initial reveal instead of falling back to the reptiles at any point.

WatTsu

Was going to get this game anyway, but the possibility of this new old character means I'm super duper going to get it.

mf luder

I can't believe you can still only play as DK, retro must know we want to play as the other characters. Why not have the tag team system from DKC?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
King K. Rool will be running the item shop from now on.

Dorygrant

I am a die-hard DKC Trilogy fan and only played DKCR on the wii (I should give 3ds a chance since the waggle was one of the things that killed my enjoyment for the game, and I love motion controls). This game has me interested just from the enemy design alone. As a previous poster stated, this one feels more like an evolution of the DKC designs as opposed to the tikis which felt new for the sake of new. Although with all the "3D" cannon shooting views it looks almost like it should be on 3DS.

Cranky just made this game AWESOME though... Hope they make his mode "old-school".

Banned
Meh. I wanna see his special move. Diddy kong and Dixie will be my mains since DKC2 was my main DKC game.

Looks good, the game already has the 3 main characters that most people wanted/hoped for so it's nice to have a more intriguing "nostalgia" character added. It'll be interesting to see what Cranky's unique moves are, assuming he truly is the new 4th character.

On a side note, I hope this isn't all that Nintendo was planning on announcing at VGX. I love DKC as much as the next fan, but it's a game we already know is coming and have seen enough to tide us over until release. It'll be a great game that's better off experienced than shown in trailers, so I hope Reggie is bringing something else.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Cranky Kong to use a analog stick and a single button, has one hit point, and only has at any time one life.

Just a guess

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm surprised anyone actually expected to see them after DKCR created the Tiki Tak and then decided to show off a whole new set of villains for TF's initial reveal instead of falling back to the reptiles at any point.

I'm surprised instead that Retro didn't use them seeing how those things in DKCR were generic and boring as fuck... we got another bunch of boring enemies now.

Very stupid for Retro to not use Kremlings.

Jawmuncher

I was hoping for Rool as well.
Was thinking maybe they were making him a "god" guy in the way that he has to work with DK and co because the threat was to both of them or something.

D-e-f-

Banned
This or 3D world for platformer of the year.

You know DKC is 2014 right? So it can't be platformer of the year ;)

I'm surprised instead that Retro didn't use them seeing how those things in DKCR were generic and boring as fuck... we got another bunch of boring enemies now.

Very stupid for Retro to not use Kremlings.

Snowmads are infinitely better than the DKRC enemies. From what I've seen they are on-par with the Kremlings so far.

Metal B

Cranky's Hardcore-Arcade-Classic-Mode:
You have to carry him around, no special abilities and he complaints all the time. You also have very few lives, no continues and if you lose them all, you have to pay 1$/€ over the eShop to continue. Of course, there are more enemies and less lives now.

tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o1_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o3_r1_400.gif

The original DKC trilogy had impeccable enemy design.
beeweapon.jpg

L~A

Wouldn't be surprised is Cranky Kong was actually the "hardcore" character, bit like the Hero Mode in recent Zelda. You only play as him, and you only got 1 heart. I mean, it would totally makes sense : in DKCR, he just keeps ranting about Donkey needing help, and the good ol' times when games were real tough and all.
No collectable in the levels, since, well, retro hardcore games and all, none of that collectathon (and besides, it wouldn't be possible with just one character).

I personally don't see them having 3 different side-kicks, but who knows?

D-e-f-

Banned
Cranky's Hardcore-Arcade-Classic-Mode:
You have to carry him around, no special abilities and he complaints all the time. You also have very few lives, no continues and if you lose them all, you have to pay 1$/€ over the eShop to continue. Of course, there are more enemies and less lives now.

beeweapon.jpg

oprah-bees.gif

tumblr_mlfbmaNOxI1qggn6bo1_500.gif

This is some revisionary-ass history.

I think someone even made a big-ass wall of shame in an older thread.

Top Bottom