• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fourth playable character in DKC: Tropical Freeze probably leaked by Amazon

Lebon14

I CALLED IT

Cranky Kong mode will be the old school mode. Back in my day, you got ONE hit, and that was it! You young whippersnappers with your Super Guides and your DLCs and your health meters and shit

Good one dude! I can totally see Cranky say that!

Gazunta

Oh FUCK yes I've been wanting this for years!

Cranky is my favourite video game character of all time. He's old and bitter and keeps talking about how much better the good old days of gaming were! SOMEHOW I CAN RELATE.

Fucking awesome. Reminds me back when DKCR released how I wished instead of Super Kong they just had Cranky beat the level for you while he berated DK/Diddy for how shit they were at platformers.

Hope as a result Funky THE MAIN MONKEY is the main helper kong this time though, gotta have this groovy track remixed.

But yeah, Cranky's tied with Wario as my favorite Nintendo/Rare character, so glad to see they didn't leave him out of Tropical Freeze.

D-e-f-

Banned
Never understood why the Kremlings are so revered. Did people really not give DKCR a chance because of the lack of Kremlings?

Kremlings are so revered because they had a fitting identity. They were designed along with the entire game concept and the worlds. Their anthropomorphic design let them take on various roles, don various costumes and function well as a united opposing "army."

The tikis of DKCR just seemed so (pardon the pun) faceless and bland. Kremlings were based on crocodiles so they're a natural and obvious enemy (going in hand with Miyamoto's recent quote from the Iwata Asks on Mario 3D World "if the player is supposed to stay away from something make it fire or sharp") to DK and the gang. Added on top were other natural enemies from the animal world (bees, sharks, etc). In DKCR you had weird fantasy animals. It all felt really out of place. (Of course there were also real animals and they mostly fit well so not everything was bad)

In DKCTF you can see they probably agreed that the Tikis needed to disappear into a dark corner because the Snowmads feel like a perfect evolution of the Kremlings with different animal types in different roles with different characteristics. They are anthropomorphic animals once again that fit the role of a baddy much much better than weird voodoo masks putting a spell on fantasy frogs.

This has the potential to be the best game ever if true.

Why "if true?" Look at the box art. Unless someone managed to completely recreate the same exact rendering art style and then match their own Cranky design perfectly with the existing ones and then photoshopped it onto the box art and got it into amazon's hands, there is no chance this isn't real.

mclem

I'd buy a Cranky 2DS. I dare you Nintendo.

Bonus points if it looks like
oQuRNNf.png

Never understood why the Kremlings are so revered. Did people really not give DKCR a chance because of the lack of Kremlings?
I'm apathetic about the Kremlings, but I felt at least in DKC2 they had a neat theme going for them and while maybe not better designed since Retro clearly has a better art department than 90's-era Rare, I still felt they had a lot more personality than the tiki's. The Snomads may be a different story since they're actual living, emotive characters and not magical pieces of wood, I dunno.

K. Rool though was hilarious, 4th-wall breaking and often had excellent boss fights with similarly excellent boss themes. Tiki Tong was awful in an otherwise amazing DKCR and I really would've preferred something like it turning out K. Rool resurrected a bunch of tiki's or something of the sort if they were just going to do that master hand gimmick in a Nintendo platformer for the umpteenth time in a row. Plus he had a motherfucking blunderbuss, that shit was awesome.

Cranky Kong will surely show how much advanced Wii U tech is, since it's not just fur, but fur + beard. And a long one, too!

Maybe they thought he rendered too well to leave in his shop this time around.

Was hoping for Kiddy personally, just to complete the original SNES four.

D-e-f-

Banned
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o1_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o3_r1_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o4_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o5_400.gif

The original DKC trilogy had impeccable enemy design.

Wait, why is there a Nintendo Network logo? Have they ever talked about online capabilities?

Know that there won't be online co-op and let yourself be surprised when they unveil leaderboards or whatever the Miiverse integration will be.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I totally knew it was going to be Cranky Kong, after all since he's always going on how he's the best Kong in the universe so this is just perfect.

Can't wait to see how he plays though.

Zalman

I like Cranky Kong. Great news.

... But seriously, if this is their VGX announcement I'm going to slap someone in the face.

Awesome if this is true and thank god it wasn't K Rool. That garbage character can stay in the trash bin of history.

People who hate K.Rool are always so passionate. I don't get it. He was a really fun character that tried a new gimmick every time he was defeated. Who can hate that? Like, Bowser kidnaps Peach and everyone loves Bowser but K.Rool steals some bananas and everyone treats him like hitler. It's unfair, man.

Evilisk

I thought waggle was the main complaint

(And to be fair, the waggle was a really crappy idea)

Though the enemies in DKCR were very far from memorable (besides that chicken boss)

OT: I am pleased with this result. Cranky or K.Rool were the only acceptable options; Luigi, Cranky/DK with a bandana and everybody else could go and shove off

This cover has been on Amazon.it for at least two months, how comes that no one noticed before? (me included, and I even have the pic saved on my phone since)

Neo Child

Banned
Oh FUCK yes I've been wanting this for years!

Cranky is my favourite video game character of all time. He's old and bitter and keeps talking about how much better the good old days of gaming were! SOMEHOW I CAN RELATE.

That'd be perfect without the last frame

Shufel

I don't really care for the Kremlings themselves so much but I liked K. Rool. I liked the fact that he was pretty much just batshit insane and would dress himself and his minions up in costumes for absolutely no reason. He's like a cosplayer gone wrong. I don't really care if his regular design is fairly poor because he makes up for it with that single gimmick and has enough goofiness to be likable. All of his boss battles were unforgettable. Just compare his boss battles to the blandness that was the Returns final boss, I mean they were far more creative. I don't understand how anybody can claim he was a shit villain.

People who hate K.Rool are always so passionate. I don't get it. He was a really fun character that tried a new gimmick every time he was defeated. Who can hate that? Like, Bowser kidnaps Peach and everyone loves Bowser but K.Rool steals some bananas and everyone treats him like hitler. It's unfair, man.

I assume they just hate 90's CGI and are seemingly unaware that if he came back now he wouldn't look like a render from well over a decade ago.
Well I'd like to say that but when the Paon games came out a few years ago they went and buggered up his redesign but hey there's always next time right? that is if he ever returns.

In any case Kaptain K.Rool exists so boo to them I say.

As mentioned, he seems secondary. Its going to be funny carrying him around on DK's back. Itll look like we're saving cranky kong, in each level.

Also, we shouldn't underestimate his powers. It might be the case with yoda. Yoda would struggle walking around with his cane, then boom, hes swinging his lightsaber around, doing back-flips.

Daingurse

I know almost nothing about Donkey Kong, but why would anyone have a problem with this dude as the antagonist?

k_rool_01.png

This is awesome. They had me at giant crocodile with a crown.

This boxart just made me smile, completely involuntary. Just a natural reaction, ridiculous.

Edit: I didn't even notice Luigi, lol.

tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o1_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o3_r1_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o4_400.gif
tumblr_mfcxiavi011rh1o43o5_400.gif

The original DKC trilogy had impeccable enemy design.

Know that there won't be online co-op and let yourself be surprised when they unveil leaderboards or whatever the Miiverse integration will be.

You must really love those bees to use them twice to support your opinion. However they are one of my most hated enemies in video game history :p

Top Bottom