• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox and Microsoft have come to terms over Killer Instinct trademark

RetroStu

Banned
Yeah, it wouldn't fly in a lot of threads. Gotta love the stupid "Kinect" jokes too.

I absolutely loved Killer Instinct in the Arcades (and the poor console ports..lol). I would be all over HD remakes or a sort of "Ultimate Killer Instinct" with all the old characters and some new ones.

Of course I would like a new Perfect Dark and JFG too. Heck, I want a new Conker and Banjo to go with it too. I'll take any GOOD/AAA remake/sequel at launch. I suspect RARE is working on Perfect Dark...just based on who they have hired.

A HD remake would be cool but i'd absolutely love a MK style reboot complete with its own amazing story mode. The MK reboot was literaly one of the best games this gen, it was amazing and so packed with content, a similar package for Killer Instinct 3 and we could have a pretty big hit on our hands.

Also i wouldn't be suprised if there is work well underway on the game already, there have been tons of hints about KI3 over the years.

CrunchyB

Are people trying to claim that KI wasn't a massive hit when it came out?

Talk about revisionist history.

Hah, yeah. It was huge in the arcades back in the day. I even recall it being mentioned on CNN's tech report or whatever that program was called at the time. Taste is subjective, but Killer Instinct's commercial success is not.

The SNES game was a hit too, a very impressive port.

The N64 game was a bit of a dud, sadly. It had that patented N64 blur on 2D characters, it hurt my eyes.

I've long given up hope for a KI sequel and without Rare at the height of their game, I doubt it would be any good. But I'm ready to be proven wrong!

Hah, yeah. It was huge in the arcades back in the day. I even recall it being mentioned on CNN's tech report or whatever that program was called at the time. Taste is subjective, but Killer Instinct's commercial success is not.

The SNES game was a hit too, a very impressive port.

The N64 game was a bit of a dud, sadly. It had that patented N64 blur on 2D characters, it hurt my eyes.

I've long given up hope for a KI sequel and without Rare at the height of their game, I doubt it would be any good. But I'm ready to be proven wrong!
Yeah, those sales for the SNES seem impressive.

PSGames

Am I the only one that thought KI had some of the coolest looking characters?

Chief thunder has always been a personal fav:

324922-cheifthunder_stand.jpg

and let's not forget:

orchid-ki2-animation.gif

Naked Lunch

So many haters in this thread - WTF!?!
KI 1 was awesome in the ol arcade days. Would be nice to finally have a proper home port of it.

Oh god, something new must come of it! A reboot with all the characters back! So glad everything is worked out. Sucks that'll be with Microsoft/Rare-Now though.

For 15 bucks id take arcade perfect ports of the 1st 2 games.

I mean we have people buying Sonic The Fighters and crap like that so i dont see why people are hating on something like this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All together no one should be developing new fighting games outside of those already satisfying that niche.
Why not? At what point does satisfaction turn into stagnation?

I don't think it's the most bankable genre you'd want to build a first party title for, but the bankroll from a first party might actually produce a fighting game with some revolutionary features.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The last thing i'm interested in right now is another fighter reboot entering the scene.

I did love KI in the SNES days though. CINDERRRR!!

Alx

Am I the only one that thought KI had some of the coolest looking characters?

I don't think so... I always hated the "dial a combo" gameplay, but the characters had some style and (sometimes) originality. I liked Chief Thunder, "the werewolf", "the skeleton" (and its ability to absorb attacks), "Iceman" and "Fireman"...
I'm not too excited for a sequel, but if they make one, only keep the characters and change the gameplay, I may be interested.

-Eddman-

I loved KI as a kid. The graphics were great, sure, but the main reason was because it was very casual friendly. I also love Capcom and SNK games but being a 6-10 year old kid at the 90's arcade scene was frustrating, at least for me. KI gave me an oportunity to understand the basics of combos and timing while allowing me to win once in a while, which encouraged me to improve and get better at the "serious" fighters.

I would buy an Arcade perfect port of the first game and would gladly accept a KI3 if it was made to appeal to casuals. I think I like variety, not every fighting game needs to be super technical and tournament oriented.

seady

So they killed the Perfect Dark franchise with 360 launch. Now they will do it again with Killer Instinct with the 720 launch.

Shocked that revival of such a beloved franchise is getting this little attention.

I loved the old KI games personally. So much fun back in the day.

Hindle

Banned
So they killed the Perfect Dark franchise with 360 launch. Now they will do it again with Killer Instinct with the 720 launch.

They never killed the PD series. Gears took off for them so it put Perfect Dark on the back burner.

Edit. Not to mention Halo went into the stratosphere popularity wise.

Sanctuary

Killer Instinct was never good. People only liked it because it looked graphically impressive at the time. Bring back Jet Force Gemini instead.

It was the first game that I could literally do a 50 hit combo with my eyes closed. That being said, when all you had at the arcades was SF2 version whatever, Mortal Kombat 2 and Killer Instinct, it wasn't that bad of a game to play as a distraction.

"Available for your home in 1995, only on the Nintindo Ultra 64!"

I saw the posts from people saying it was almost completely ignored in SoCal arcades. Maybe it was a regional thing? KI was shit hot in my local arcade. I don't recall it being so much competitive play as people just standing around watching and then playing themselves because it looked so cool and was fun. Figuring out all the links and what you could bundle into the Ultras to extend the hit count. That machine was also turned up louder than all the others so you could hear the fantastic music and "Ultraaaa Combooooo" from all over the arcade.

To be fair, there wasn't much in the way of tournaments or anything in my area. There was just the one arcade in the whole town.

Sanctuary

I saw the posts from people saying it was almost completely ignored in SoCal arcades. Maybe it was a regional thing? KI was shit hot in my local arcade. I don't recall it being so much competitive play as people just standing around watching and then playing themselves because it looked so cool and was fun. Figuring out all the links and what you could bundle into the Ultras to extend the hit count. That machine was also turned up louder than all the others so you could hear the fantastic music and "Ultraaaa Combooooo" from all over the arcade.

To be fair, there wasn't much in the way of tournaments or anything in my area. There was just the one arcade in the whole town.

Pretty much the same thing in my area. I had forgotten about the music aspect though. It had some of the best (if not the best) music for an arcade game around that time.
Speaking of chracter designs; that game had a lot of really interesting characters aside from T.J. Combo (he was just a stereotypical amalgamation).

Top Bottom