• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox and Microsoft have come to terms over Killer Instinct trademark

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The only good thing that could come out of a new KI game, would be more Orchid and Maya cosplayers.

ikdivznne3phv-7499f6c6-original.gif

it1KvtP6zsfC.gif
i4y6qVOg33DQG.gif

krae_man

This reminds me of when the Leafs didn't suck:

0msHR0i.jpg

I can't remember if this poster was made before or after the game. It was around the same time for sure.

Okay, remember people, this will NOT BE A REBOOT or a sequel. If it's anything, it will simply be a HD port of KI or 2.

The news first broke that Microsoft was doing SOMETHING with the franchise on their official news site for XBLA stuff last year.

DrDogg

I would prefer to see KI1 on XBLA rather than KI3, unless MS actually has a solid dev team behind the new game.

The problem with KI is that most people never properly learned how to play it, so they think it was a bad game. In high-level KI matches, you didn't see combos that were over 7 hits (for the most part), unless it was an Ultra at the end of a match. It was very footsies heavy and you only saw short, unbreakable combos.

I love this franchise.

Fulgore, Glacius, Riptor, Spinal, and Sabrewolf were all my favorites.

Sabrewolf was insanely good. I could destroy people with him so fast.

I remember being so pissed they dropped Riptor in the sequel. Fuck KI Gold.

daninthemix

I would prefer to see KI1 on XBLA rather than KI3, unless MS actually has a solid dev team behind the new game.

The problem with KI is that most people never properly learned how to play it, so they think it was a bad game. In high-level KI matches, you didn't see combos that were over 7 hits (for the most part), unless it was an Ultra at the end of a match. It was very footsies heavy and you only saw short, unbreakable combos.

I don't have that problem - I thought the game was great whilst also being completely unable to master it (oh, how those combos eluded me). But I'd like to have another shot at them with an HD remaster :)

As long as they learn from past mistakes with the game while implementing new and interesting features, I'm all for it. Do it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And this opinion is based on a game that came out almost 20 years ago.

Makes sense. The game would obviously be exactly the same!

idk look at how bad MK9 and SF4 are

KI2 was ok, KI1 was fucking horseshit though who the fuck making a fighting game with no throws?

I'd be happy even if it's just an HD remake like Perfect Dark.

Also note that the official XBLA blog posted an article about the trademark renewal...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I will buy a fucking 720 just for KI3....IF

-It has NOTHING to do with Kinect

-Somehow MS can round up at least some people from the original KI team to work on it

-They put in some type of parry system, but not the horrible one from KI2.

-Bring back Cinder and put in Eagle

-DO NOT bring back Kim Wu or Maya *shudder*

thx MS my monies are waiting

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this is probs one of the 4 ips that are rumored for durango to microsoft it is new. and MS did create some huge ass team recently who is working on two unknown games

BJWanlund

Looks like a next gen KI is on the cards. I'd prefer a new PD personally.

Perfect Dark Zero says "Hi, remember me?"

Perfect_Dark_Zero_Coverart.png

I don't know how likely it is but if there is a KI game coming out, if Rare isn't developing it Starfire Studios could be working on it perhaps?

http://www.starfirestudios.co.uk/about-us

Their first game was a MS exclusive and Chris Tilston was the Lead Designer and Gameplay Programmer for the Killer Instinct series.

Hmm... if this Chris Tilston guy is behind a new KI game THEN I'd be somewhat excited.

Why do people have to be such Debbie Downers regarding Rare nowadays?

In Rare/M$ I trust.

Here's why:

Banjo-Kazooie_Nuts_%26_Bolts_Game_Cover.jpg

Of all the Rare franchises that could be revived, this is one of the few I couldn't care less about.

...a new game could certainly pique my interest based on its own merits, though. And if it's the gateway to future Rare revivals, then bring it the hell on.

nikos

Been waiting forever for this. I'd be happy if they even gave KI Gold the HD + Online treatment. We might actually be better off with that.

Acheteedo

So Skullgirls shouldn't exist?

Only Namco, Capcom, NetherRealm Studios, and Arc System Works can make fighters now?

I just mean - you're Microsoft, you have X number of development teams, one of the last genres you should task one of your limited number of teams with is the fighting genre. You won't expand your audience, you won't create a Halo-like runaway success... it's a waste.

If you're Reverge Labs, then knock yourself out by all means.

Killer Instinct wasn't the best fighting game ever, but it's definitely not as bad as some people are making it out here.

I remember having lots of fun with it back in 1995 on my SNES.

They've got no one of any worth to make this... Should just hand the license to an actual fighting game developer. KI with SNK sprites would have me!

idk look at how bad MK9 and SF4 are

KI2 was ok, KI1 was fucking horseshit though who the fuck making a fighting game with no throws?

MK9 is bad? Everyone i know loves the game and has a blast with it, esp. with the story mode. IMO the game is worth it just for the story and that ladder challenge mode.

Dont let the tournament crowd make you think a game isnt good to everyone else.

Spinluck

Am I the only one that thought KI had some of the coolest looking characters?

Chief thunder has always been a personal fav:

and let's not forget:

orchid-ki2-animation.gif

Looks like Janet Jackson.

This thread reminds me of how underused RARE is in Microsoft's hands.

They reboot KI and turn it into a 4 player brawler.

Top Bottom