• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France-GAF |OT| Existentialism, cheese, wine and je ne sais quoi

G.O.O.

Mont Saint-Michel is a bit further away from Omaha beach, so is it worth it to visit? It looks quite spectacular. Thank you
Oh god yes, yes it is.

About Normandy, the beaches are much appreciated by people from Paris since it's closer than the South and easy to reach by car. I go to Trouville myself from time to time, it's a nice place. I don't know much about museums though.

Diamond

Mont Saint Michel is a very touristic location but for good reasons. The place is quite spectacular to behold and there are very interesting guided tours, you should go if you can.

Concerning Omaha Beach there's a big Memorial Cemetary in Colleville-sur-Mer, just above the beach. There are plenty of german bunkers left but I don't know if there are good organized visits.
Edit : found this museum, but I never went there. Looks interesting though !

Bonjour. This summer i go with my girlfriend to Paris and Normandy. Paris is easy to find information on. So i wonder if anybody can help me with the Normandy part. Im big on history and would like to visit Omaha beach, i readed however that it is used as normal beach with people sunbathing and so on. For some reason in my mind i always thought it would be forbidden to sunbathe out of respect. So is it true that especially in the summer the beach looks like any other popular beach?
I suppose nothing's forbidding you from sunbathing (it'd be a nice symbol of life regaining its rightful place after so many deaths, though) but Omaha Beach isn't exactly the first place I'd think of when I want to go sunbathe, so no, I don't think it'd look like any other popular beach.

Secondly we would like to visit some museums about the landing. I founded it difficult to find some good museums, any recommendations?
You might want to visit the Caen Memorial. It's quite famous but it's more about the history of the 20th century (from WW1 to the fall of the Berlin Wall) than just the landings. It does, however, have a dedicated space about D-Day and the Battle of Normandy.

You can also visit the D-Day Museum, the Utah Beach Museum and the Omaha Beach Museum.

Mont Saint-Michel is a bit further away from Omaha beach, so is it worth it to visit? It looks quite spectacular. Thank you
The Mont Saint-Michel alone is worth a special trip. It's a unique sight to behold and, if you're interested, there's a lot to learn about it history-wise (the village was founded in the year 709).

Edit: here's a preview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7sWeyLqQY

Fred-87

I suppose nothing's forbidding you from sunbathing (it'd be a nice symbol of life regaining its rightful place after so many deaths, though) but Omaha Beach isn't exactly the first place I'd think of when I want to go sunbathe, so no, I don't think it'd look like any other popular beach.

Try the Caen Memorial.

The Mont Saint-Michel alone is worth a special trip. It's a unique sight to behold and, if you're interested, there's a lot to learn about it history-wise (the village was founded in the year 709).

Edit: here's a preview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7sWeyLqQY

hehe, i only played assassins creed 1 and 2. First time i learned about Mont Saint-Michel was in children tv show, for the Dutch people here: Bassie en Adriaan where Bassie en Adriaan got stuck in the castle because of tide haha.

The museum at the Omaha beach looks small but nice, anyone visited? The Caen one looks very interesting. i am thinking to visit that museum and then drive from the city of Caen on small roads to Omaha beach, to see the landscape where they fought the day after D-day. Hopefully the landscape is still the same in the countryside with many hedges and so on.

Llyranor

Bonjour. This summer i go with my girlfriend to Paris and Normandy. Paris is easy to find information on. So i wonder if anybody can help me with the Normandy part. Im big on history and would like to visit Omaha beach, i readed however that it is used as normal beach with people sunbathing and so on. For some reason in my mind i always thought it would be forbidden to sunbathe out of respect. So is it true that especially in the summer the beach looks like any other popular beach? Secondly we would like to visit some museums about the landing. I founded it difficult to find some good museums, any recommendations? Mont Saint-Michel is a bit further away from Omaha beach, so is it worth it to visit? It looks quite spectacular. Thank you

When I was there in June, it was too cold, so I didn't really see anyone bathe in it. There were a lot of veterans for the anniversary.

Remember that Omaha was not the only beach! Don't forget Utah, Juno, Gold, Sword! All meaningful historical sites.

Other points of interests:
- Pointe du Hoc: the steep cliff that the Rangers had to climb. Crazy!
- Arromanches: you can still see the remnants of the Mulberry harbors from the war!
- Pegasus Bridge: which the 6th Airborne Division captured

As for museums, I don't remember which ones were the best - I misplaced my guide (the Holt one)
The one I remember wanting to see but not having time to was the Musée des Épaves Sous-Marine du Débarquement (Museum of Underwater Wrecks of the Invasion), which sounds like a nice concept for a museum.
If you see the museum at Caen, there is a nice 11th century castle in the town, too!
If you have the spare time, also visit the Bayeux Tapestry at Bayeux, which is very close to the beaches. I love it.

Mont-St-Michel is definitely worth a visit. It is grandiose and amazing.

Mael

If you remember a few years ago the tv show Lucky Luke,
With the most awesome theme song :
coworker said:
In the poussière oh Ohio
Wearing his beautiful chapeau
But who's this caballero ?

On his cheval y craint personne,
Les rattlesnakes, y s'en tamponne
Like the Peaux-Rouges or the Dalton

(Refrain)
Lucky Luke
Il a pas peur de personne
Lucky Luke
Pas surtout des Dalton

He rides in le soleil couchant
With his fidèle Rantanplan
Who is pas très intelligent,

He's the empereur of the Far-West
When he dégains his revolver
He can shoo a fly d'un seul geste

Give my sincères condoléances
To all the gibiers de potence
He'll kick you exactiy où j'pense

(au Refrain)

He always gives a coup de main
To the veuve or the orphelin
He's a real good américain

In the désert there is personne
Never a coup de téléphone
He's a cowboy, poor & lonesome

When he enters the saloon
Nobody wants to make the clown
You don't rigole in this cartoon !

Pacbois

If you remember a few years ago the tv show Lucky Luke,
With the most awesome theme song :

Produced by Marc du Pontavice, like Studpid Ivaders, Oggy and the Cockroaches and pretty much every good French cartoon made in the 00's

While we're talking about French cartoons, I hate hate hate Totally Spies! and Martin Mystère (same studio) visually. It's clean, but no identity and way way too many reaction faces, urgh.

Mael

While we're talking about French cartoons, I hate hate hate Totally Spies! and Martin Mystère (same studio) visually. It's clean, but no identity and way way too many reaction faces, urgh.

To be fair it's primary aim is the US market (the makers even said that in a convention American professionals were surprised to learn that it wasn't made in the US!).

It's good for what it is, but I can't say I can stomach the thing at all.
The world of French cartoon is way more vast than most people would give it credit.
I mean Les triplettes de Belville, Pixels, Logorama, Kirikou, Le Chat du rabbin, Lascars, Moot Moot...
Seriously plenty of talented people and awesome works.

As an aside Gumball is absolutely fantastic(but that's more british).

keuja

To be fair it's primary aim is the US market (the makers even said that in a convention American professionals were surprised to learn that it wasn't made in the US!).

It's good for what it is, but I can't say I can stomach the thing at all.
The world of French cartoon is way more vast than most people would give it credit.
I mean Les triplettes de Belville, Pixels, Logorama, Kirikou, Le Chat du rabbin, Lascars, Moot Moot...
Seriously plenty of talented people and awesome works.

As an aside Gumball is absolutely fantastic(but that's more british).

A least they can export the serie and make money off of it. On the other hand, I don't see how they can sell Les triplettes de Belleville to a large audience abroad... Shit was so creepy. If I had seen this as a kid I'm sure I would have be traumatized.

Mael

A least they can export the serie and make money off of it. On the other hand, I don't see how they can sell Les triplettes de Belleville to a large audience abroad... Shit was so creepy. If I had seen this as a kid I'm sure I would have be traumatized.

Actually triplettes didn't do so bad abroad, it's a weird little film and was taken more like Amélie Poulain than anything I guess.
But yeah Spies and what not are exploitative stuffs, nothing wrong with that.

Oh and if we're talking cartoons, the mother and father of all French cartoons that you must watch at all cost :

Il était une fois la vie,
Il était une fois l'homme.
You will thank me later.

Alx

Shit was so creepy. If I had seen this as a kid I'm sure I would have be traumatized.

You want a creepy and trauma inducing anime ? Try "la Planète Sauvage"... *shudder*

affiche.jpg

Diamond

Who here used to watch the Minikeums?

Of course I watched the Minikeums, and C'est pas sorcier right after (or before ? Can't remember) ! The french animated series weren't necessarily my favourites but there are some gems. Albert le 5ème mousquetaire was rad. And yeah, Il était une fois... of course.

In terms of awesomeness, Moi Renart is difficult to beat, I can't exactly make up my mind about it, it's bad or it's genius.

Rahan (inspired by the comic) was cool too. Love the opening.

keuja

Oh and if we're talking cartoons, the mother and father of all French cartoons that you must watch at all cost :

Il était une fois la vie,
Il était une fois l'homme.
You will thank me later.

yep both are brilliant cartoons and have memorable opening themes
hot naked lady amirite

You want a creepy and trauma inducing anime ? Try "la Planète Sauvage"... *shudder*

Never heard of that one but the graphical style of the poster reminds me of the horror manga Spiral / Uzumaki.

Wazzy

Banned
Glad to see this thread exists! I've just currently started to learn French(took it in highschool but completely forgot everything)and I've been using a couple sites from the language learning thread while also having a friend help out with my word conjugation to learn.

I'm hoping to become fluent in at least my understanding and writing and I don't expect to become fluent in speaking for years.

[/IMG]

Well it was written by Roland Topor... but it's a masterpiece. Another very good one from the same director (and somehow a tad less traumatizing) is "Les Maîtres du Temps" (with Moebius).

Also "Comment Wang Fo fût sauvé" (adapted from Yourcenar) and Gandahar (with Caza).

And my favorite French dessin animé :

Alx

Well it was written by Roland Topor... but it's a masterpiece. Another very good one from the same director (and somehow a tad less traumatizing) is "Les Maîtres du Temps" (with Moebius).

I don't doubt it, even as I watched it as a kid, I felt it was something special and deep. Still disturbing at the time, but I haven't watched it since then. :p I did watch "Gandahar" though, from the same crew, it wasn't bad at all. And I remember seeing those images from "les Maîtres du Temps", but I wonder if it wasn't in a comic book/magazine made from the movie. I should try watching it too, there is a "les Mondes Engloutis" vibe to it.

Diamond

And my favorite French dessin animé :

Such a good pick !

Le roi et l'oiseau is a real masterpiece. Very special atmosphere, dreamy and poetic thanks to Jacques Prévert script.

"Allô ! Allô ! Forte récompense. Allô ! Allô ! Une charmante bergère et un petit ramoneur de rien du tout… De rien du tout ! …sont recherchés par la police de Sa Majesté le Roi Charles 5 et 3 font 8 et 8 font 16 de Tachycardie."

Kurtofan

I used to but I was never a fan. I'm from the generation who grew up watching Club Dorothée.

I think I watched the later years of CB but I was too young to remember anything except Saint Seiya.

Minikeums was more my era.

Thanks, now the minikeums song is stuck in my head.

This one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR6_zRyRSgE

Fuck yeah, damn shame it ended on a cliffhanger :(

It's looping on Mangas.

Bossun

Such a good pick !

Le roi et l'oiseau is a real masterpiece. Very special atmosphere, dreamy and poetic thanks to Jacques Prévert script.

"Allô ! Allô ! Forte récompense. Allô ! Allô ! Une charmante bergère et un petit ramoneur de rien du tout… De rien du tout ! …sont recherchés par la police de Sa Majesté le Roi Charles 5 et 3 font 8 et 8 font 16 de Tachycardie."

My favorite french animation movie too.

But I find the atmosphere very heavy and unhealthy.
I saw it really young and it really did a number on me.

sup French-GAF, I've been taking my first French lessons and holy shit, it seems like there are no consistent pronunciation rules in this language, it is worse than English. This is coming from a native Spanish speaker, where pronunciation rules are consistent as heck. You pronounce it the exact same way that you write it (most of the time).

Anyways, enjoying it so far :). Hopefully I'll be able to post things in french ;)

keuja

Glad to see this thread exists! I've just currently started to learn French(took it in highschool but completely forgot everything)and I've been using a couple sites from the language learning thread while also having a friend help out with my word conjugation to learn..

sup French-GAF, I've been taking my first French lessons and holy shit, it seems like there are no consistent pronunciation rules in this language, it is worse than English. This is coming from a native Spanish speaker, where pronunciation rules are consistent as heck. You pronounce it the exact same way that you write it (most of the time)

French is hard, more than spanish (and much more than English) in my opinion due to all the weird exceptions and the pronunciation. But you speaking English (a lot of common vocabulary) and especially Spanish (same subjonctive rules, similar conjugation) should help a lot already.

sup French-GAF, I've been taking my first French lessons and holy shit, it seems like there are no consistent pronunciation rules in this language, it is worse than English. This is coming from a native Spanish speaker, where pronunciation rules are consistent as heck. You pronounce it the exact same way that you write it (most of the time).

Anyways, enjoying it so far :). Hopefully I'll be able to post things in french ;)
Whenever I try learning a new language (other than English), the manual always says it's easy because the pronunciation is consistent or words are pronounced the same way they're written.

Speaking of the Mont Saint-Michel, its mayor was declared guilty of this, today:

Mont Saint-Michel mayor prosecuted for tricking tourists

Latest update: 04/02/2013

mont-mayor.jpg

French prosecutors called for the mayor of Mont Saint-Michel on January 30 to be handed a six-month suspended jail sentence and a fine of 30,000 euros after his political rival accused him of making a tidy profit by purposefully misguiding tourists.

The mayor of the world-famous Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy faces a suspended jail sentence and a hefty fine for positioning a bus stop so that millions of tourists would pass by his shops and restaurants.

Prosecutors at his trial on Wednesday called for Eric Vannier to be handed a six-month sentence and a 30,000 euro fine on conflict of interest charges. Vannier, who has been mayor of the historic district since 1983 – save for between 2001 and 2008 – owns around 80% of the businesses on the mount and 20% on the adjoining coast, earning him some 29 million euros a year. Mont Saint-Michel is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the world.

The lawsuit came about through a longstanding rivalry between the 60-year-old mayor and his predecessor, Patrick Gaulois, also 60, who filed a complaint against Vannier for unfair competition.

In 2012 the local tourist board – of which Vannier is a member – closed down a car park at the foot of the mount and opened 4,000 parking spaces on the mainland as a way to “improve the appearance” of the tourist sight, which attracts between 2.5 and 3.5 million people per year.

A shuttle service was put in place to ferry tourists between the inland car park and the mount, but instead of placing the bus stop at the car park, it was built almost a kilometre away, forcing tourists to walk past a number of shops and restaurants owned by Vannier before getting on the bus.

Patrick Gaulois, former mayor and political rival of Mayor Vannier.

Vannier said the decision was made for economic reasons, arguing that building the bus stop closer to the peninsula would save the council 10 million euros and each tourist €1.50 per fare. “I was acting purely in the public interest,” Vannier told the court on Wednesday. He had said previously that the claims against him “made no sense” because he also owns establishments by the new car park.

The trial was closely watched by Vannier’s commercial and political rival, Gaulois, who filed the initial complaint. Gaulois was mayor between 2001 and 2008, and owns three restaurants and one sandwich shop on the mount, making him Vannier’s main competition.

His complaint against Vannier was the fifth of its kind. Speaking about the case in an interview with AFP, Gaulois said that nobody dared confront Vannier. “There’s a code of silence on the mount. Nobody dares talk about it,” he said.

In September, Vannier filed his own complaint against Gaulois, counter-accusing him of unfair competition by trying to have the bus stop moved closer to his own establishments.

Vannier’s lawyer described the prosecutors' recommendations on Wednesday as “extremely heavy”.
http://www.france24.com/en/20130130...yor-fined-tourists-france-corruption-politics

nOoblet16

Quoi de neuf GAF?
J'apprends le français depuis sept derniers mois maintenant. Je pense que je peux lire et écrire bien, mais je ne sais pas ce que je peux faire pour améliorer mes habiletés de conversation parce que je trouve qu'il est très difficile de comprendre quand quelqu'un parle. C'est juste très frustrant. I just feel like I've hit a fuckin' wall here, everytime I watch something I just get disappointed because I can't make out shit other than maybe one word in an entire sentence (which usually happens to be just a noun or verb) and eventually I just end up looking at the subtittles rather than looking at the video and trying to hear whatever they are saying.

Alx

Maybe you could try watching a movie with French dialogs and French subtitles at the same time (if they're available of course). It helps a lot to catch all the words you missed.

Top Bottom