• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France-GAF |OT| Existentialism, cheese, wine and je ne sais quoi

Diamond

Salut les gaffeurs français !

Ahem I won't get into political discussions, but I just wanted to point out one of my favourite modern French novel ever for gaffers to read : La Nuit des Temps by René Barjavel (it's The Ice People in English I think). I was young when I read it, but it left a strong impression on me.
I'm realizing most of the books I read for my entertainment are in English or from English authors :/

It's a FRENCH thread, I think it was inevitable we'd have a depressing debate about politics sooner or later...
Anyway thanks for the recommendation, I actually have a few books from Barjavel at home but never read them. I'll check them out !

We can have a discussion about local liquors !

I bought a bottle of Élixir de grande Chartreuse when I was in holidays in Savoie, and...it's freaking strong >_<

DrSlek

My wife and I are now planning a trip through Europe for next year. We're starting to book things soon. The plan is to start in Rome, move up to Florence for the Festival of Saint John (and to catch the grand final game of Calcio Storico), and then into Austria, Germany, France and finishing in England. We're probably going to be spending the most time in France. I aim to be in Paris for Bastille Day.

But besides the Palace of Versailles and the regular sights of Paris, we'd really like to check out a bit of the country side and wine regions. Any recommendations?

My wife and I are now planning a trip through Europe for next year. We're starting to book things soon. The plan is to start in Rome, move up to Florence for the Festival of Saint John (and to catch the grand final game of Calcio Storico), and then into Austria, Germany, France and finishing in England. We're probably going to be spending the most time in France. I aim to be in Paris for Bastille Day.

But besides the Palace of Versailles and the regular sights of Paris, we'd really like to check out a bit of the country side and wine regions. Any recommendations?
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to tourism but the Mont Saint-Michel is the second most visited place after Disneyland, you should definitely see it.

Edit: when I was younger I went on a school trip to the D-Day beaches in Normandy and the American military cemetery. I recommend that too.

You could burn cars at the Champs-Élysées.
vandalism is bad, this is a joke.

Mmmm, yes I believe I'll be suggesting those to my wife. Maybe not the burning of automobiles though.

Avoid the Disney, please. But Mount Saint Michelle was one of the places never conquored by anyone (well maybe just the Germans). There are Sheep on the mainland that eat grass saturated with the saline content of the channel there and the meat is naturally flavored, World-renound stuff.
330px-MtStMichel_avion.jpg

edit: go horse-back riding there.

DrSlek

Oh yes. I'll be avoiding disneyworld/land. never really been interested in it.
But Mont Saint-Michelle and the beaches of Normany sound excellent.

Llyranor

I've been to both Mont-St-Michel and the Normandy beaches. The first is really a monumental sight, really a must-see for everyone at least once in your lifetime.

I also went to the D-Day beaches in early June, and it was a great trip of profound historical significance.

Pacbois

If you're in Paris for Bastille day, try to get into one of the firemen's ball. They can be really good fun ! Especially the one on the Canal Saint Martin.

Mael

You are talking as if no opposition existed already. I don't think him coming back would strengthen them as much as you make it sound.
Well...
It's a FRENCH thread, I think it was inevitable we'd have a depressing debate about politics sooner or later...
Anyway thanks for the recommendation, I actually have a few books from Barjavel at home but never read them. I'll check them out !

Hey that's the only thread that this kind of talk would fly anyway :/

You could burn cars at the Champs-Élysées.
vandalism is bad, this is a joke.

cnn-france-riots.jpg

About local liquor...I'd say try Genepi, you'll thank me later.

About local liquor...I'd say try Genepi, you'll thank me later.

I already know it and have a bottle at home alongside with my Chartreuse :) I like herbal liquors but for some reason I don't like Jagermeister as a stand-alone...and the Grand Elixir de Chartreuse...well it's really really too strong for my tastes ha ha.

Mael

Does CNN have Lyon and Toulouse mislabled, or I reading the map wrong?

If that's the only thing you find wrong with that map, CNN is not the only one needing geography lessons...

About that letter from the CEO of Titan, well it's in line with our useless minister.
He's a troll so I won't cry when seeing him get trolled for a change.
Too bad for Amiens' workers but they had it coming if they followed "hot air" Montebourg and the useless unions.

Mael

Also everyone remember YOLO?
No, not that yolo

I mean that onn w9
La-YOLO-attitude-debarque-sur-W9_portrait_w532.jpg

It's the worst fucking thing ever.
Like imagine Les Chti à Las Vegas or some shit reality tv only worse and it's an actual tv show and scripted to boot.
The worst acting this side of La Baie des flamboyant (Google that you will curse me later for that).
With the absolute worst everything I've ever seen, we couldn't stomach more than 5min, the degradation of our brain was that quick.

And it's an adaptation of a german show.

Mael

Worse than Hollywood Girls?

Hollywood Girls is like watching the Simpsons from the golden era in comparison, it's the worst thing I've seen being displayed on a tv screen.
It didn't hurt personnally like Metroid Other M, but it certainly beats the crap out of Sonic 06.
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
I had the displeasure of watching a sequence were a guy in a street of Paris was talking to his friends how he contracted a credit and got plenty of money (with showing bills of 100&#8364;) and the girls were like "How will you pay you have no job" and all that.
And then he meet a bimbo who only watch the bills he still haven't hidden while he only stare at her boobs.
The whole with the most painful script ever.
And the acting, oh god, the acting!

I am glad to see this thread existing as I have a fascinating for French history and culture. I will be trying to learn french soon and hopefully can contribute something to the discussion of this thread in the future.

Worse than Hollywood Girls?
Hollywood Girls is like watching the Simpsons from the golden era in comparison, it's the worst thing I've seen being displayed on a tv screen.
It didn't hurt personnally like Metroid Other M, but it certainly beats the crap out of Sonic 06.
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
I had the displeasure of watching a sequence were a guy in a street of Paris was talking to his friends how he contracted a credit and got plenty of money (with showing bills of 100&#8364;) and the girls were like "How will you pay you have no job" and all that.
And then he meet a bimbo who only watch the bills he still haven't hidden while he only stare at her boobs.
The whole with the most painful script ever.
And the acting, oh god, the acting!
Fortunately I have no idea what you're all talking about.

Mael

Or the tourists.

Yeah, no.
Not even close.
Not to slight tourists but Ch'tis are really, really REALLY nice people.
If you manage to get some friends, even their family will treat you as their own.
They can be shat over by Tv all day long, it won't change the fact that they're the best.

G.O.O.

The CEO of Titan was a republican candidate for the presidency back in 1996. These guys don't like us very much.

I'm ashamed to be ch'ti.
I have a friend from the North, he enjoys playing on the whole proletarian/pedophile/inbred cliché. I don't know many people who would deal with that.

Maiar_m

Yeah, no.
Not even close.
Not to slight tourists but Ch'tis are really, really REALLY nice people.
If you manage to get some friends, even their family will treat you as their own.
They can be shat over by Tv all day long, it won't change the fact that they're the best.
Also, it was a joke. But sure, I haven't met any yet. For some reason they're not often seen in Brittany.

G.O.O.

Hollande probably knew he wouldn't be able to do shit when he made him minister anyway. It was a way to keep a guy he hated in his pocket. Plus Montebourg's de-globalization bullshit made him a perfect candidate for a job consisting in watching our industry collapse.

Mael

Hollande probably knew he wouldn't be able to do shit when he made him minister anyway. It was a way to keep a guy he hated in his pocket. Plus Montebourg's de-globalization bullshit made him a perfect candidate for a job consisting in watching our industry collapse.

The only good thing I see from this is that he'll be burned out by 2017 and we'll never hear him ever again or he can pull a Sarkozy and end up president....
Then we'll be thrown out of the EU.

Mael

Copé VS Montebourg.

The day I'm asking for Belgian citizenship.

If there's one thing this whole 'mariage pour tous' taught me is that I'm never getting into the political field ever, or am I ever taking these jokers seriously ever again.

I heard on France Inter that from the CGT had started some kind of legal action against the Titan's CEO. I must be dreaming, those guys aren't scared of anything :lol

Stealth-edit:

Goodyear: le PDG de Titan en rajoute

Le PDG de Goodyear, Maurice Taylor, a confirmé mercredi à l'AFP avoir envoyé une lettre "pas toute rose" au ministre du redressement productif Arnaud Montebourg dans laquelle il refuse de reprendre des discussions sur un plan de reprise de l'usine Goodyear d'Amiens. "Je lui ai écrit une lettre, ce n'est pas une lettre toute rose, ce n'est pas une lettre à ma petite amie, on parle d'affaires", a dit à l'AFP Maurice Taylor lors d'un entretien téléphonique.

"Il m'a écrit (...) en me disant +nous voulons relancer les négociations+. Je lui ai dit +vous êtes dingue+", a ajouté M. Taylor, affirmant qu'il n'y avait pas de négociations possibles puisque "nous sommes les seuls au monde à avoir voulu mettre de l'argent dans l'usine". "Nous sommes ceux qui avons le carnet de chèque et vous nous dites que nous devons d'abord rencontrer les syndicats? (...). Vous êtes dingues", a-t-il répété.

Tout le monde sera assis à boire du vin rouge

"La semaine de travail pour un travailleur français c'est 7 heures payées par jour. Il déjeune et fait des pauses pendant une heure par jour, travaille pendant trois heures et pendant les trois autres heures il s'assoit et discute", a poursuivi le patron de Titan. Il a fustigé l'attitude du gouvernement français qui "autorise les importations de pneus chinois moins chers mais n'a pas le droit d'exporter de pneus en Chine". "Bientôt, en France (il n'y aura plus d'emplois) et tout le monde passera la journée assis dans les cafés à boire du vin rouge", a-t-il conclu.

Arnaud Montebourg a assuré mercredi qu'il répondrait par écrit au PDG de Titan international, qui a renoncé à reprendre l'usine de pneus Goodyear d'Amiens-Nord après des années de négociations infructueuses. Le représentant de la CGT, majoritaire à l'usine Goodyear d'Amiens-Nord, Mickaël Wamen a dénoncé une "insulte totale", jugeant Maurice M. Taylor proche de l'"asile psychiatrique".
http://www.lejdd.fr/Economie/Entrep...-francais-dans-une-lettre-a-Montebourg-592511

:lol

Edit 2:

Montebourg: 'I don't want to harm France's interests'

What a clown, as if he hadn't done it already.

Kurtofan

I'm not sure how is this funny, this guys is basically asking us to downgrade our lifestyle so he can make more benefits.

Also we're productive already so this guy's letter is just justification to exploit Chinese and Indian workers:http://articles.businessinsider.com/2009-08-20/markets/30087051_1_capita-france-s-gdp-work

Montebourg doesn't feel like he's hurting France's interests to me, he just feels powerless.
I don't have any animosity towards him but I don't feel any empathy either.

G.O.O.

It's just the good old globalization debate, and both Montebourg and Taylor are playing a game that is too convenient to deal with what really matters.

This post is from 2011 and ends like this :

On aura plutôt une de ces querelles de grands concepts déconnectés du réel (levons le tabou du protectionnisme! non, le protectionnisme, c'est pas la solution, retroussons-nous plutôt les manches et affrontons le vaste monde) que nous affectionnons tellement. Sans doute quelques mesures symboliques à l'effet douteux (la TVA sociale semble tenir la corde) pour donner le sentiment au peuple que le gouvernement sait écouter ses inquiétudes. Les vrais problèmes, eux, attendront.

Prez

Is there any reason I shouldn't move to France? I really can't think of any. I'm in Belgium right now, want to move in a couple years.

Top Bottom