• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France to deport radical Muslim clerics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
So? Saying religion should be abolished is not hate speech and should not be banned. Show me some atheist death threats or hate speech please.
No, r/atheism does not count, although I'd be surprised if you'd find actual death threats/hate speech there.
False equivalencies all up in this bitch.

On a sidenote, I'm pleasantly surprised that there are muslims who think this is a good idea.
In the end, it's in your best interests to get rid of the nutjobs who give all of you a bad name.
Same goes for gun owners and other groups with crazy/dangerous fringes btw.
By anti-clerical I meant political groups in russia (yes in russia, not soviet union, it did continue in USSR and got worse but for other reasons) that were publicly vilifying and humiliating clergy, even going far as destroying churches and beating priests. Btw why r/atheism doesn't count? Even if it doesn't count there intolerant atheists against religion as there are intolerant religious people against atheists. I did fast Google search and first hit was "Should we kill all remaining religious people?" (Bodybuildingforum) 55%% says "kill 'em all".

For many angry atheists religion only causes war and misery and that's reason enough to get rid off them. If you think there aren't people like that then you are delusional.

Dilly

Banned
Is it cool to be openly racist in Europe? Judging by the internet, and what better thing is there to judge a place, it seems like it. Not that it necessarily present here, but the shit I see spewed about Muslims in Europe, particularly France, is stuff you would not be acceptable talking about other cultural groups. It is just bizarre to me.

And yeah, racist, not the right term, etc.

So tired of reading this from Americans in every thread dealing with this subject. I see a lot of shit spewed by Fox in the US, doesn't mean I generalize it to every American.

Kuga

This is yet another grey topic of freedom versus security. Can't blame their government for attempting to proactively mitigate violence, however. (esp. against non-citizens)

By anti-clerical I meant political groups in russia (yes in russia, not soviet union, it did continue in USSR and got worse but for other reasons) that were publicly vilifying and humiliating clergy, even going far as destroying churches and beating priests. Btw why r/atheism doesn't count? Even if it doesn't count there intolerant atheists against religion as there are intolerant religious people against atheists. I did fast Google search and first hit was "Should we kill all remaining religious people?" (Bodybuildingforum) 55%% says "kill 'em all".

For many angry atheists religion only causes war and misery and that's reason enough to get rid off them. If you think there aren't people like that then you are delusional.

Bottom line is: the internet is a cesspool. Seemingly normal, well-adapted people start spouting shit the moment they gain anonymity, mostly for laughs.
A bodybuildingforum poll? Really, that is the best source on militant atheism? The forum where people call each other "brah" and give each other "reps" for not being a "phaggot"? Come on son. Call me when you have an actual hate group with atheists publicly stating that religious people should be killed.

Yes, there are plenty of atheists who are anti-religious, but the majority think that religion should be destroyed, not the religious people themselves. I have yet to meet or hear of anyone who would even remotely fit the definition of a "militant atheist".

ymmv

Banned
This isn't about preserving monoculture. This is about keeping dangerous radical influences away. Moderate muslims should cheer this on.

Indeed.

Another thing: There are violent muslim radicals operating in France for a while now. Last year for instance a French-Algerian islamist who targeted policemen and Jews and killed 7 people in just a few days. He was taken out by the police in a massive shootout.

It's a good thing, a very good thing when France deports radical preachers who inspire people like Mohammed Merah to take up arms against innocent people.

KHarvey16

Indeed.

Another thing: There are violent muslim radicals operating in France for a while now. Last year for instance a French-Algerian islamist who targeted policemen and Jews and killed 7 people in just a few days. He was taken out by the police in a massive shootout.

It's a good thing, a very good thing when France deports radical preachers who inspire people like Mohammed Merah to take up arms against innocent people.

Does speech pay attention to borders?

nOoblet16

Well they are guests in France, and if they choose to shit over their host country by hate remarks then I see no reason why. It does mention it's for radicals so that's one thing, another being they aren't really kicking out their own citizens.
French people in general don't care about religion but if there's a foreigner in their country spreading ill will and bad influence, then it's only fair to do so...beside these people also put the other proper muslims in bad light.

KHarvey16

Impressionable French moslim youngsters are less likely to end up at a Mosque lead by a radical imam when those radical imams are deported.

Yes, it's much better to have impressionable youngsters retreating to their bedrooms and the internet to recite their hatreds in private and out of the public eye. If everyone just ignores it they can pat themselves on the back and pretend it's all better.

okdakor

Is it cool to be openly racist in Europe? Judging by the internet, and what better thing is there to judge a place, it seems like it. Not that it necessarily present here, but the shit I see spewed about Muslims in Europe, particularly France, is stuff you would not be acceptable talking about other cultural groups. It is just bizarre to me.

And yeah, racist, not the right term, etc.

It's the "youtube syndrome"... The dumbasses and the racists are always happy to comment videos and articles, the common guy, not so much. You can also see that in the US.

CiSTM

Banned
Bottom line is: the internet is a cesspool. Seemingly normal, well-adapted people start spouting shit the moment they gain anonymity, mostly for laughs.
A bodybuildingforum poll? Really, that is the best source on militant atheism? The forum where people call each other "brah" and give each other "reps" for not being a "phaggot"? Come on son. Call me when you have an actual hate group with atheists publicly stating that religious people should be killed.

Yes, there are plenty of atheists who are anti-religious, but the majority think that religion should be destroyed, not the religious people themselves. I have yet to meet or hear of anyone who would even remotely fit the definition of a "militant atheist".
I never argued that there were atheist groups calling out for blood outside of the internet, or at least any that would have any kind of authority or credibility. Maybe when people start going to church of Dawkin or Bottas we will start seeing our own loons in the wild.

Joni

Yes, it's much better to have impressionable youngsters retreating to their bedrooms and the internet to recite their hatreds in private and out of the public eye. If everyone just ignores it they can pat themselves on the back and pretend it's all better.
Or you know, they can meet imams who know the real spirit of Islam.

Ikael

ibmuQ6jtQIbj7v.jpg

See, thing is, freedom of expression is a very fragile right, and it must be protected specially when it annoys you. But these guys up there are not expressing an opinion. They are not arguing, like say, Kobashi or Ottoman Scribe that theocracies are somehow great systems of goverment, or that they woud like if society would be more religious or whatever.

They are outright and openly calling for murdering people, mainly people that disagrees with them. Which is not a form of expression, but rather a death treath, a crime punished in every single country on Earth, for one thing is an opinion, as disgusting as it is (people who insult my religion are stupid godless heathens) while the other is a call for action (people who insult my religion ought to be beheaded).

A crime it is, and as criminals they should be treated. Good for France for showing far more balls defending their freedoms than many macho bravado chickenhawk Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom