• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Mandelbo

Just hit Code 7 today. How active is GAF on this still? I was hoping that I would be able to find more rooms open with it being a PS+ game right now but I am seeing maybe 2-3 at a given time.

I'll be able to give you a hand if you want, whether or not I'll be of any use is a different question!

Mandelbo

Sounds good, I made a room. Shaz-hot, I really don't know how to get room info.

Edit: my character name is Fyl

Really sorry I didn't show up before, I guess I just didn't realise you wanted help immediately! If you still want any help, I'm available now. My PSN is flippy3007 and is probably a more reliable way of contacting me - that way I shouldn't miss anything :p

Really sorry I didn't show up before, I guess I just didn't realise you wanted help immediately! If you still want any help, I'm available now. My PSN is flippy3007 and is probably a more reliable way of contacting me - that way I shouldn't miss anything :p

No worries, I opened a room and 3 other people popped in almost instantly. I guess its still got a healthy base or I was just lucky. I'll add you on PSN though for future missions.

Zolo

W00T! Never posted in this topic before, but I platinum'd and finished off my sentence for this game! I heard good things about it before I played it, but I had a lot more fun with it then I figured I would.

The TVTropes for the page leaves me a little confused though. I understand it not really having an ending, but it's still more of a sequel hook. I also don't get how it said that Gene's betrayal came out of nowhere when I easily guessed it when engineers were being suspected along with the fact that he was taking risks for no reward.

It was also pretty funny to talk to everyone being so impressed about working off your sentence; especially Simeon and Aries.

Would definitely day one a Freedom Wars 2 if one ever comes out or a spiritual successor.

cyborg009

Banned
W00T! Never posted in this topic before, but I platinum'd and finished off my sentence for this game! I heard good things about it before I played it, but I had a lot more fun with it then I figured I would.

The TVTropes for the page leaves me a little confused though. I understand it not really having an ending, but it's still more of a sequel hook. I also don't get how it said that Gene's betrayal came out of nowhere when I easily guessed it when engineers were being suspected along with the fact that he was taking risks for no reward.

It was also pretty funny to talk to everyone being so impressed about working off your sentence; especially Simeon and Aries.

Would definitely day one a Freedom Wars 2 if one ever comes out or a spiritual successor.

Sequel might not happen.

Zolo

Sequel might not happen.

Yeah. I figured as much. Luckily, I kinda already figured the game would end on a cliffhanger note since when I got to CODE 7, I realized there were too many things to wrap up if there were only 8 codes which put my expectations in check.

cyborg009

Banned
Yeah. I figured as much. Luckily, I kinda already figured the game would end on a cliffhanger note since when I got to CODE 7, I realized there were too many things to wrap up if there were only 8 codes which put my expectations in check.

I can't find the post but it goes deeper than that.

tok9

I can't find the post but it goes deeper than that.

What do you mean?

Anyway I got back into it over the last few days after I stopped playing it. I'm not really sure why I stopped before but as I was on CODE 6 I didn't have much to go to finish off the story. This time round I got a much better understanding of the weapon modding which definitely helped me with the tougher levels and there was still a relatively active online community.

Overall I enjoyed my time with the game but man does it give MGSV a run for it's money with how incomplete the game is. The story is pretty awful and it's even worse due to where they leave it.

I'd love to see a sequel on Vita or even PS4 (like Gravity Rush 2) that could refine on the mechanics, flesh out the world and actually deliver somewhat on a complete story. Sounds unlikely though judging by the post above.

tr00per

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.

I really dig this game but I am stuck in the grind. I keep getting my ass handed to me from the second wave of abductors. I am as upgraded as i can get without rare parts and I use a build specifically for abductors (binding thorn, cutting tool, assault rifle, debilitators, anti-abductor mines).

Am I missing something, or does the game really get this grindy near the end? I think I'm code 6 but I'll have to double check.

I hate leaving games unfinished, especially when I like them. Any tips would be appreciated.

maouvin

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this.

I really dig this game but I am stuck in the grind. I keep getting my ass handed to me from the second wave of abductors. I am as upgraded as i can get without rare parts and I use a build specifically for abductors (binding thorn, cutting tool, assault rifle, debilitators, anti-abductor mines).

Am I missing something, or does the game really get this grindy near the end? I think I'm code 6 but I'll have to double check.

I hate leaving games unfinished, especially when I like them. Any tips would be appreciated.

What mission are you trying to do? If it's an optional mission, they're pretty tough for their CODE.
If it's a story mission... I don't remember having much trouble before the CODE 7 (it's been a long while, though). Have you been upgrading your allies gear via entitlements?

tr00per

What mission are you trying to do? If it's an optional mission, they're pretty tough for their CODE.
If it's a story mission... I don't remember having much trouble before the CODE 7 (it's been a long while, though). Have you been upgrading your allies gear via entitlements?

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently reducing my sentence to reach the CODE 7 test, so I'm doing optional missions (not the downloaded ones). I have upgraded my usual teammates to level 4 or 5. I try to use at least one healer per mission. The only missions I can pass are really old ones that give me bad loot and 200 years off of my sentence

Maybe I just suck? Lol

Edgeward

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently reducing my sentence to reach the CODE 7 test, so I'm doing optional missions (not the downloaded ones). I have upgraded my usual teammates to level 4 or 5. I try to use at least one healer per mission. The only missions I can pass are really old ones that give me bad loot and 200 years off of my sentence

Maybe I just suck? Lol

The optional ones are usually harder than the main missions. Especially when you reach the upper CODEs. The only thing I would say is figuring out the crafting system and get yourself a good weapon. Being able to do as much dmg to the core once its exposed is essential in crowd control.

The teammate AI is fine for the most part until you reach the final boss then they just are awful awful dead weights

tr00per

The optional ones are usually harder than the main missions. Especially when you reach the upper CODEs. The only thing I would say is figuring out the crafting system and get yourself a good weapon. Being able to do as much dmg to the core once its exposed is essential in crowd control.

The teammate AI is fine for the most part until you reach the final boss then they just are awful awful dead weights

How can you tell which are the main missions? I've tried all of the ones available to me and I just can't beat them. I've maxed out my current weapons but maybe I could dry a different combo.

The AI is okay but I wish there were some better commands. I don't know why I am the only one who can seem to revive my accessory.

Thanks for the help.

How can you tell which are the main missions? I've tried all of the ones available to me and I just can't beat them. I've maxed out my current weapons but maybe I could dry a different combo.

The AI is okay but I wish there were some better commands. I don't know why I am the only one who can seem to revive my accessory.

Thanks for the help.

The optional missions are labeled DOxxx. One thing I would suggest, if you don't already have one, is get a Barbara's. They make short work of breaking parts and stunning abductors. Also don't forget to use your thorn charge and stun abductors with the level 2 (blue) on that binding thorn.

Edgeward

Thanks for the help.

Have you been reviving them with your vine/whip? It makes the process slightly less annoying.

A lot of what I did was grapple myself to a specific part when possible and just go nuts with my gun. Jumping away before they swipe me off or retaliate. Focusing on one part to destroy it so it causes a stagger leaving you a chance to hit the core.

tr00per

The optional missions are labeled DOxxx. One thing I would suggest, if you don't already have one, is get a Barbara's. They make short work of breaking parts and stunning abductors. Also don't forget to use your thorn charge and stun abductors with the level 2 (blue) on that binding thorn.

Oh i didn't catch that. Thanks! I have a barbara in reserve I'll try it out.

Have you been reviving them with your vine/whip? It makes the process slightly less annoying.

A lot of what I did was grapple myself to a specific part when possible and just go nuts with my gun. Jumping away before they swipe me off or retaliate. Focusing on one part to destroy it so it causes a stagger leaving you a chance to hit the core.

I used to use a healing thorn but I switched to binding to try to help my situation.

Yeah I usually use a similar strategy but the latching can get janky at times. I'm always grabbing the wrong part accidentally.

I think if they did port this game to ps4 (how likely is that?) they could stand to explain the mechanics a little better.

heringer

I've played for a couple of hours and wanted to know if it gets better? I'm somewhat enjoying it, but the battles can feel a little mindless. I don't really have to worry about the enemies patterns because they are occupied with my teammates anyway...

Edgeward

It gets more challenging at Code 5+. And by Code 7 and the extra ops you won't have that benefit since they will die a lot more and need to be revived.

heringer

Man, this game... In terms of pure gameplay it's the first hunting game I've played to approach the finesse and satisfaction of Monster Hunter. It's awesome.

Sadly, the game is riddled with dumb design decisions. Basically my experience with the game so far (up to code 4):

1 - Talk to someone
2 - Fetch quest part 1
3 - Loading screen
4 - Walk 3 steps
5 - Loading screen
6 - Walk more steps
7 - Loading screen
8 - Fetch quest part 2
9 - More loading screen
10 - Fun battle
11 - Boring story segment
12 - Dumb pointless stealth section
13 - Rinse and repeat
14 - Don't like loading screens? Too bad, here's some more,

Not to mention the needlessly convoluted upgrading system. Ugh.

But I'm sticking to it, because when the game is good, it's GOOD. Game needed more polish and time in the oven.

Edgeward

It needed a sequel because the core gameplay is good but among the design decisions, the lack of variety in enemies and maps is very weak. And an overall of the crafting system.

tr00per

So I switched to a Barbara's and it definitely did the trick! Now I'm just losing at the final mission (which is actually 3 missions in one). I hunkered down in the combat item area and got the final boss down to 20 percent but then my team was overwhelmed. I think I'm going to bring auto resuscitators and use the extended life augmentation next time.

Unfortunately I spent all my good weapons upgrading my other weapons, so I guess I have to farm.

I agree about the lack of variety in enemy and level design, which exacerbates one of the game's other problems which is what feels like an artificially inflated campaign. There are some cool levels in the special operations, however. I would definitely give a sequel a shot.

Before I try it again, does anyone have a good strategy for the last boss? And is it still considered an abductor?

Before I try it again, does anyone have a good strategy for the last boss? And is it still considered an abductor?

It is an abductor - if you keep playing the post-endgame content, this will be far from the last time you fight it.

(Also, remember the boss on the cover? Notice that you still have yet to fight him.)

With this boss you have to break the boxes to prevent the chains from reviving, and kill each chain as soon as you break a box - while dealing as little damage as possible to his lifebar directly to prevent multiple chains being released at once at certain HP thresholds. Set your allies to focus on revival so they attack as little as possible.

Look up the correct order to break the boxes in - my simplified version is to do the bottom row first, then the remaining corners, then the rest.

tr00per

It's been a while, but iirc it's not an abductor augmentations-wise. There are specific augmentations for Oltaltum and Dionaea.

It is an abductor - if you keep playing the post-endgame content, this will be far from the last time you fight it.

(Also, remember the boss on the cover? Notice that you still have yet to fight him.)

With this boss you have to break the boxes to prevent the chains from reviving, and kill each chain as soon as you break a box - while dealing as little damage as possible to his lifebar directly to prevent multiple chains being released at once at certain HP thresholds. Set your allies to focus on revival so they attack as little as possible.

Look up the correct order to break the boxes in - my simplified version is to do the bottom row first, then the remaining corners, then the rest.

Ok thanks guys. I would have never discovered that strategy. No wonder I got bombarded at the end. I didn't realize they revived. I was just trying to defeat it asap

Edgeward

If you need a safe place to hide. you can camp at the entrance. you are mostly safe in that area, although the breath attack from the tentacles might still get you and stun lock you to death.

So I just got to the endgame (8-1) a few days ago and I was wondering what I should prioritize doing. I've read the guides but none of them mention what should be done first. So far I've been farming entitlements to open up companion equipment levels and upgrading my rarity 7 weapons. I plan on getting rarity 8 weapons eventually but I need better weapons to really start farming.

Edgeward

Definitely getting mats for the rarity 8 weapons. Personally, guns are more important than melee since you will be able to use them in many situations.

Hellraider

I've been trying to get mk4 synthetic dampers for hours now with no luck. It keeps giving me fibers again and again and again (and again).

I use a barbara with leg component and I can manage to break both legs before killing it but there is no point if it doesn't freaking drop the god damn damper. Am I missing something or is the desire sensor just messing with me?

I just want three of these to platinum the game dammit!

I've been trying to get mk4 synthetic dampers for hours now with no luck. It keeps giving me fibers again and again and again (and again).

I use a barbara with leg component and I can manage to break both legs before killing it but there is no point if it doesn't freaking drop the god damn damper. Am I missing something or is the desire sensor just messing with me?

I just want three of these to platinum the game dammit!

That's the price of the platinum in this game: absurdly low drop rates for level 9/10 materials.

And it sounds like you've already avoided the trap of going for an advanced-model level 10, so there's not much else you can do to make it easier. (Apparently the SR/42 requires the least rare materials? Not sure if that's already the one you're working on.)

Hellraider

That's the price of the platinum in this game: absurdly low drop rates for level 9/10 materials.

And it sounds like you've already avoided the trap of going for an advanced-model level 10, so there's not much else you can do to make it easier. (Apparently the SR/42 requires the least rare materials? Not sure if that's already the one you're working on.)

Yeah, I stopped bothering upgrading the weapons I use halfway there because I saw where this was going.

I got both a phalanx and a blaster level 9 but they both need dampers now. I wouldn't mind levelling another one from start if I was sure it needed less or (for the love of God someone give me hope) no dampers at all.

maouvin

Can't you get the trophy getting a non-advanced model to lvl 10? I remember you can choose to follow the base path. Materials should be less rare too.

Can't you get the trophy getting a non-advanced model to lvl 10? I remember you can choose to follow the base path. Materials should be less rare too.

That's exactly what we're talking about, but it sounds like there's still a bottleneck with one rare material.

Yeah, I stopped bothering upgrading the weapons I use halfway there because I saw where this was going.

I got both a phalanx and a blaster level 9 but they both need dampers now. I wouldn't mind levelling another one from start if I was sure it needed less or (for the love of God someone give me hope) no dampers at all.

I admit the SR-42/LA advice is just hearsay that I read online - I never personally got close to level 10 with any weapon. And I can't find a wiki page that even lists the full upgrade materials for the SR-42/LA, because no one actually uses it.

If you want to know how bad things used to be in this game: the rarest materials required for the advanced models couldn't even drop in normal missions. You had to farm the missions themselves - Retribution missions, which were assigned to you randomly after doing some number of normal missions. There was savescumming involved, just to get the mission that has a chance to drop the material you needed.

Those missions eventually became more widely available, so now you "just" farm for the actual materials. That's what you avoid by not going to advanced models: long fights against multiple boss abductors at once to farm the rarest materials of all.

Damn Hah. Gravity Rush always makes me naturally think of Freedom Wars for some reason so after the gravity rush 2 demo, I've had the urge to boot up Freedom Wars again. Online lobby dropped me straight into the mission that's 2 of the final boss, while I was still getting a hang of the controls again, talk about trial by fire! We won, game is still awesome. Barely anyone online but enough to play with which is awesome too.

Kind of sad you can't seem to play the campaign again without entirely deleting your save. Really would like to do it again but not keen on losing my guy

Top Bottom