• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

God damn region locked on ps4...bought it on aus store...cant join us lobbies without buying us copy

Sony needs a looking for group fuction instead of the community crap as you can state that its a regional game.

xgre

Neo Member
I almost survived the last 6 mins of a match constantly 1v1ing Jason, but got caught in the last 10 seconds

Stiler

Do we have a GAF private match thread or anything?

Also I've only played as Jason once. But, what does stalk do?

It makes you quiet and the Jason "music" doesn't play when you're near a counselor.

It's useful if you know the counselors are near and you want to trick them into thinking you aren't nearby or such.

It will go away if they see you though.

Also it runs out quicker if you are moving, if you use it and stand still (IE to get them to think it's ok to come out of a cabin) it will last longer.

jeremy1456

Has anyone been killed by a teammate yet?

I had another counselor hunt me down with a machete. It was infuriating because he was laughing the whole time like a hyena.

Jason arrived on the scene, realized what was happening, killed the other counselor and allowed me to go thankfully.

I don't understand why people join games but don't want to play, and instead get joy out of ruining it for everyone.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm in the best game of anything I've ever played. Two assholes came on and continually cheated by glitching under the bridge in Crystal Lake. So the whole lobby is after their ass, Jason included. It's a fucking war party. Jason and 5 armed counselors stalking two cheaters stuck without their crap.

hbkdx12

I had another counselor hunt me down with a machete. It was infuriating because he was laughing the whole time like a hyena.

Jason arrived on the scene, realized what was happening, killed the other counselor and allowed me to go thankfully.

I don't understand why people join games but don't want to play, and instead get joy out of ruining it for everyone.

I don't have the game but i've seen various streams with people doing this. Seems pretty shitty

dolabla

I've been playing this at my friends (along with other friends there) house the last few nights and when it's my turn to play I literally can not stop being Jason. I've rarely been a counselor.

This game is super fun to play with friends. I can't wait to receive my physical copy. I hope we don't have to wait too much longer. I gave my digital download copy to my friend and we've just been playing it at his house the last few nights.

Majora

Does anyone know how the hovering in the air BS glitch is done? I just had a game ruined by some jackass doing that.

Don't necessarily blame the players. It happened to me twice after getting out of a tent and I was getting abusive messages saying I was cheating. The game is buggy as hell, don't assume the worst of everyone.

No, but I have had counselors working with Jason.

One guy played as Buggzy, armed with a pipe, and decided to block me in the kitchen pantry at Padanack. After I told him multiple times to get out of the way, I warned him that I was going to hit him because I could hear Jason outside of the house. I gave him one smack with my bat only to meet a flurry of blows and an actual response from him.

"Why'd you hit me, BRO?!"

I manage to escape the pantry and beeline upstairs in hopes of a recovery item only to have him block the stairs so I can't pass. Finally get by him again and I'm greeted with his buddy who has been running to him to heal his wounds. I end up making it outside, only for Buggzy to follow me and pinpoint my location to Jason. Even smacking me another time to weaken my running speed.

Me and the other guy in the lobby realized what was going on, and they left after the next match. Turns out the three of them had been running around other players when one is Jason to give away their spots.

After all the server issues, this was the thing that pissed me off the most. I've been keeping an eye out for people helping Jason. It's real shitty and takes out the fun.

I was just about to escape to the police and a teammate who had been waiting there shot me in the face with a shot gun which killed me and then escaped.

He got killed first the next game and quit after that.

Xater

Yesterday I learned that on PS4 Europeans can't play together with Americans. Like what the fuck? Why would you do this? Stupid decision to split your userbase like that. Let me decide if the connection is good or not.

ElRenoRaven

Saw the best moment earlier tonight watching Bikeman's stream. He literally had the counselors making deals with him to live. He'd in turn make a deal with another to kill that counselor. It was a laugh riot.

PrinceKee

It makes you quiet and the Jason "music" doesn't play when you're near a counselor.

It's useful if you know the counselors are near and you want to trick them into thinking you aren't nearby or such.

It will go away if they see you though.

Also it runs out quicker if you are moving, if you use it and stand still (IE to get them to think it's ok to come out of a cabin) it will last longer.

Survivors get no audio cue when you are nearby and you can sense them easier.

Thanks guys. This game is such a hilariously good time that it's a shame that it's suffering from so many issues out the gate. I've had so many issues from the database error to weird glitches. I've not been able to use items my character was holding and when I get in the car and try to drive we were stuck in place with a flashing screen. I was close to asking for a refund Saturday, but after playing some games with LFG I've had so much fun with this game through all the issues. The matchmaking and database issues appear to have been better or fixed on Xbox one all day Monday. I hope all of the bad press from the issues the game is going through doesn't hurt sales too much and anyone that was interested in the game before will give it a chance once they've ironed out all the issues...

Hesh

More like 12. Gun Media is 4 people.

I don't think people realize how small the dev team was.

Yeah, a lot of the negative reviews on Steam I've been reading seem to think that this was developed by 100+ people because of the license. This game's history seems to be lost on a lot of people because it originally wasn't a Friday the 13th game at all. Fortunately the rights holders partnered up with the developers to turn it into a full-fledged licensed title, but people seem to think they also dumped millions of dollars into the studio which was definitely not the case. On one hand the price reflects the license and how the developers are likely giving the rights holders a decent chunk of sales as a result, but on the other hand people are going ham on the game's faults because of the $40 price tag. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose. I'm happy with the game, at least, and as long as it sells well enough I have faith in the developers to continue supporting it with patches for bugfixes and content.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah, a lot of the negative reviews on Steam I've been reading seem to think that this was developed by 100+ people because of the license. This game's history seems to be lost on a lot of people because it originally wasn't a Friday the 13th game at all. Fortunately the rights holders partnered up with the developers to turn it into a full-fledged licensed title, but people seem to think they also dumped millions of dollars into the studio which was definitely not the case. On one hand the price reflects the license and how the developers are likely giving the rights holders a decent chunk of sales as a result, but on the other hand people are going ham on the game's faults because of the $40 price tag. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose. I'm happy with the game, at least, and as long as it sells well enough I have faith in the developers to continue supporting it with patches for bugfixes and content.

Yup. Even those that knew were like well you made a shitload of money so hire more people damn it. So you have those morons who seem to think this made like Call of Duty money.

Drahcir

I've had some Quick Play games where people would kill anyone to escape. I initially got angry that people played that way but then I started to think about these players as different scripts to the story, so to speak. You might have that one maniacal guy who goes crazy. Or others who use you to help get the car or boat running and then beat you to death so another can escape instead.

Even so, I'd still rather play with fellow gaffers instead.

Hubble

Just got the game. The excitement of this thread got to me. I'm disappointed I didn't catch this on Kickstarter. TBH, I'm always skeptical by games based on movie franchises so I didn't even give it a look. I'm a fan of Jason and the old franchise, so I am happy to support the title, and perhaps they can add to it.

Any basic tips for someone new? Played 2 games and had some laughs already. There is no way to type chat, right? Just voice? Can you see things like a car on the map when you are a counselor? I found a battery but could not find a car. I was Jason my first match. It was funny because I was saying, man, I better not be Jason my first time. I got 4 out of 6 people my first match, so I guess not too bad. How do you strangle someone as Jason? When I was him, I did not do this but it seems to be popular. Thanks

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
after 12 hours ive yet to see anyone kill another councelor on purpose but i could see it happening

also i think if you queue as a group it should force you to play councelors only letting you be jason and have your friends tell you where everyone is is game breaking and a waste of time for everyone else in the match

I always laugh when someone has the shotgun and tries to save someone being strangled but blasts the shit out of the counselor. Please never switch friendly fire off.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I always laugh when someone has the shotgun and tries to save someone being strangled but blasts the shit out of the counselor. Please never switch friendly fire off.

I've seen this happen on streams. Can you save someone who's being grabbed by Jason? Seems weird if you can't hit/shoot Jason and have him let go of his victim.

I've seen this happen on streams. Can you save someone who's being grabbed by Jason? Seems weird if you can't hit/shoot Jason and have him let go of his victim.

You can but the shotgun spread is wider than the onscreen circle. If you want use it you have to line it up perfectly to only get Jason. Flare gun is the safer option.

voodooray

Seen rescues occur many times using either well-timed firecrackers or melee hits. Jason does appear to have a large number of frames where he is invincible, so timing is definitely everything.

Haven't picked this up yet, but have been enjoying watching various twitch streams of it. I had a question for those who've played it...

Do you think that allowing Jason to combine stalk and shift is too unfair? To keep it inline with movie lore, perhaps Jason should only be allowed to unshift when not in line of sight of any person (behind a tree, rock, cabin, etc). Similar to how Left4Dead enemy spawns happen. Allowing him to just materialise out of nowhere on top of you doesn't feel right.

Definitely looking forward to picking this up soon, and has been the closest successor to 'Damned' I've come across.

Yesterday I learned that on PS4 Europeans can't play together with Americans. Like what the fuck? Why would you do this? Stupid decision to split your userbase like that. Let me decide if the connection is good or not.

This has to be something that they've changed quite recently.

I was playing launch day with Americans, being from the UK there couldn't have been any sort of region locking.

Maybe they did it to stabilise the servers?

They better change it back anyway. It's bullshit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've killed a fellow team mate by running them over. Granted they were standing right behind my car when Jason appeared at my hood.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This has to be something that they've changed quite recently.

I was playing launch day with Americans, being from the UK there couldn't have been any sort of region locking.

Maybe they did it to stabilise the servers?

They better change it back anyway. It's bullshit.

I think it's mainly to do with p2p. You can get some pretty high ping times if you are in CA and your host is in Greece.

Had an epic standoff with 5 counselors trying to start the boat while Jason was in the water. He dragged all of us into the water at least once. 1 was drowned, 2 ran and hid in some cabin and 2 of us managed to drive away and dodge him at the last second in the water.
Server problems be damned. This game is the best.

Varg

Banned
Been having a blast with the pc version . So far I'm lvl 17 with a good amount of games under my belt . Lots of players I'm seeing as well ( even some Japanese players). I hope they add more Jason's and counselors to the game in time . Sucks to hear about the state of the console versions . I'm sure they will iron out the bugs eventually .

Played my first game last night.

Man it's surreal as hell to hear 10 year olds yelling about calling in Tommy Jarvis. Also, why are 10 year olds playing this??

Played my first game last night.

Man it's surreal as hell to hear 10 year olds yelling about calling in Tommy Jarvis. Also, why are 10 year olds playing this??

It's funny. Yesterday, for the first match I logged into because of that ridiculous login database failure error, there was an underage kid in the quick party group talking. I talked on the mic and said "I really do hope you are Jason in this game". I just found it comical. And lo and behold, the kid was Jason.

I haven't been sabotaged by a fellow counselor but I do believe that it offers a unique spin to the game. I was watching BikeMan's stream yesterday where he played Jason and made "devil deals" to members of his party where in order for them to escape freely, they had to betray their party members. It was sick twisted fun.

cr0w

Old Member

I accidentally murdered another counselor when I was trying to save him. Dude was getting chased and I had a shotgun, so I went to shoot Jason to give him some time to escape but he ran in front of him as I shot so I took him out instead. Felt real bad.

Brandwin

Depiste the bugs and launch diaster, the game is a lot of fun. I am not sure how long the shelf life will be, but for the $30 I spent, I thinK I will get me moneys worth.

One thing, I wish I would have known the Savini Jason wasn't just a "skin" and actually one of the, if not the, best Jason in the game.

If they could get "Freddy" as a playable character that could help or fight Jason-jaw dropping awesome!

Highly unlikely, I read that they wanted to include the Jason costume from Freddy vs Jason but couldn't even do that due to some type of licensing issue. Freddy being included seems out of the question.

Voorhees

I accidentally murdered another counselor when I was trying to save him. Dude was getting chased and I had a shotgun, so I went to shoot Jason to give him some time to escape but he ran in front of him as I shot so I took him out instead. Felt real bad.

I had that happen to me yesterday afternoon. I'm running away from Jason, I get caught. However I have a pocket knife. However further, Tommy is trailing us, sees me get grabbed, and then accidentally shoots me with the shotgun. Then he gets grabbed and dies.

Top Bottom