• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

Somnia

If they don't get Quick Play fixed quick on consoles I'm fearful the user base will move on to Dead by Daylight which is also out really soon on console.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Brandwin

I wish I would have purchased the Savini Jason. For some reason I just thought it was a skin, I had zero idea he would be maybe the best Jason in the game skills wise.

Ah well, my fault for not paying closer attention.

BTW you can buy a key for the "skin", selling eBay for $500.00 right now.

Highly unlikely, I read that they wanted to include the Jason costume from Freddy vs Jason but couldn't even do that due to some type of licensing issue. Freddy being included seems out of the question.

I can't remember for sure, but I swear there's some issue where one of their rights reverted back to a studio that previously held the license so they're no longer owned by the same company.

If they don't get Quick Play fixed quick on consoles I'm fearful the user base will move on to Dead by Daylight which is also out really soon on console.
I agree that they need to fix their network issues now, but they've also got to address the lack of variety and content on top of generally gameplay-hurting jank. There's definitely going to be some crossover on consoles that doesn't help Friday, but I think DBD offers a different experience that doesn't make the other obsolete. I prefer this game even if it's far rougher and lighter.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where do you get this on disc, I don't see anywhere selling it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Good playing with the crew tonight. Couldn't stay for long due to work, but I'm looking forward to next time.
Yeah, last night was a lot of fun.

I wish I would have purchased the Savini Jason. For some reason I just thought it was a skin, I had zero idea he would be maybe the best Jason in the game skills wise.

Ah well, my fault for not paying closer attention.

BTW you can buy a key for the "skin", selling eBay for $500.00 right now.
I accidentally ordered a Steam code along with a PS4 code, and now I'm kind of glad I did xD

cr0w

Old Member
I had that happen to me yesterday afternoon. I'm running away from Jason, I get caught. However I have a pocket knife. However further, Tommy is trailing us, sees me get grabbed, and then accidentally shoots me with the shotgun. Then he gets grabbed and dies.

I wasn't playing Tommy at the time so it wasn't me, I promise!

I bought this game with five other friends on PS4, and it was pretty much all we did all weekend. We also friended a bunch of people from quick play matches, so we've just been inviting people and running private matches. Which is awesome, because the host can pick Jason and we can take turns instead of having it be random.

We weren't immune from server issues and it is a jankfest, but we are in love with this game. One of the best times I've ever had with a multiplayer game. I think the devs completely nailed the gameplay and atmosphere.

Glad to see other's here are having fun with the game. It's a damn shame all the technical troubles they have been having, but when the game works - it's a blast. I'm confident they'll fix everything too given how hard they worked on everything during the beta. I just hope it's quick enough that the community doesn't dry up.

Sephzilla

This game already seems to be selling above the dev's expectations. I hope this turns into a hit once they resolve the server issues, when it works it's such a fun game

Levito

Banned
This game already seems to be selling above the dev's expectations. I hope this turns into a hit once they resolve the server issues, when it works it's such a fun game

It's already a massive hit, the team said they were expecting about 30,000 players on launch weekend but they are exceeding 80,000; and if the database issues weren't there they'd be over 100,000.

It's a rough start but they're working hard to fix it.

With all the crappy problems this is for sure one of my favorite online games of all time, you can't take away all the tear inducing moments that this game has given my friends and i.

MrBlonde

Xbox is a complete mess still, frustrated and cant play other then I got lucky the other night and got a couple private matches in. Fingers crossed the bugs and server issues are fixed soon because the game is a ton of fun.

norm9

Played with some great randoms yesterday. Had a ratio of 1 good game, 1 disconnect, rinse and repeat, but the host kept inviting everyone back so that was great.

I'm starting to dislike the pressure of being Tommy Jarvis. Especially when I stink so I'm usually the first to die so I'm stuck being Tommy. And then I'm left with half objectives being done, everyone is starting to die off so I don't know where anything is. At that point, I'm just trying to run out the clock which then adds tot he pressure because I know people are watching and critiquing my survival skills.

Any GAFers on Xbone—feel free to hmu. On rn. GT: H2O Disgraced.

I'll add you when I get off of work. Could always use some more teammates.

eta- remembered why I wasnt big with mic always on; took a drag while we were loading up and forgot to mute my mic. Got roasted and felt so embarassed.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Played my first game last night.

Man it's surreal as hell to hear 10 year olds yelling about calling in Tommy Jarvis. Also, why are 10 year olds playing this??
Straight up, it's kinda heartwarming that there's a new generation of 10 year olds who know who Tommy Jarvis is.

Levito

Banned
Straight up, it's kinda heartwarming that there's a new generation of 10 year olds who know who Tommy Jarvis is.

It's nuts running into 10 year olds in this game because that means they were born after every Friday the 13th film save for the remake.

so, is the regionlock confirmed? I'm in a lobby all alone for the last 20 minutes. :(

should've gotten the eu version.

I've run into players from Korea several time so idk if there's a region lock?

norm9

When I get chosen to be Tommy, I don't really try to survive. I just to try to run interference on Jason to help counselors escape.

Ohhhhh. I've never tried that. I did use a counselor getting chased as an excuse for me as Tommy to run to the police exit though, so I did it backwards then.

I'm a huge fan of the old Friday the 13th flicks and this somehow completely went under my radar. I've been watching some gameplay footage but can't really seem to figure out exactly how this game 'works' or what it is to be exact.

From what I gather, it's basically an online hide-and-seek-and-escape type of thing with someone being randomly assigned to be Jason and counselors that have to survive until the cops arrive? Am I sort of on the right track here?

I literally don't play online outside of helping people in Souls games now and then, but this has me really tempted to jump in once it hopefully comes down in price.

PS: Those dumbass facial animations are funny as hell and the overall goofiness and jank of it has actually entertained the hell out of me while watching gameplay vids.

Levito

Banned
Something I really dislike in this game: Coming back as Tommy Jarvis after you've successfully escaped. Like I worked hard to escape but now I've gotta do it again and probably get killed? ugh lol

Sephzilla

Something I really dislike in this game: Coming back as Tommy Jarvis after you've successfully escaped. Like I worked hard to escape but now I've gotta do it again and probably get killed? ugh lol

Think about it this way - you get another chance to rub it in Jason's face

Ohhhhh. I've never tried that. I did use a counselor getting chased as an excuse for me as Tommy to run to the police exit though, so I did it backwards then.

I escaped as Tommy one time, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any extra points for doing it. So I just started playing as Suicide Mission Tommy once I realized this.

norm9

From what I gather, it's basically an online hide-and-seek-and-escape type of thing with someone being randomly assigned to be Jason and counselors that have to survive until the cops arrive? Am I sort of on the right track here?

Pretty much. There are five ways as a counselor to win-
1) survive the 20 min time limit.
2) fix the phone, call the cops, wait for cops, and get to cops
3) fix the boat and boat off
4) fix the car(s) and drive off
5) kill Jason- not sure how this is done.

That's pretty much it. Since items like keys, gas, batteries, etc are randomized, it's really tense when you find 2/3 items for your escape but can't find the last thing. Or someone has a part but gets killed so you have to try something else, usually hide out the remining time. But it plays out differently every single time because you don't know what the other players are doing. That's why coordination when you find a walkie talkie is important. You can tell otheres what you have and they can tell you what they have so you can gather your resources.

And then there's the fact that there's only two seats in the boat and in one of the cars so some people get assed out which is pretty funny. Or someone brings an important battery but gets left behind.

But yeah, it's a hide and seek, cat and mouse game.

I played a match yesterday and found both boat parts within 3 minutes and lured my friend to me without saying a thing about it already being repaired. He's like "let me check this cabin" and I'm like just get over her trust me. As we're riding away we ask on the walkie talkie if anyone found anything and just broke out in full laughter as we rode off into the sunset. Lmao

MrBlonde

Played with some great randoms yesterday. Had a ratio of 1 good game, 1 disconnect, rinse and repeat, but the host kept inviting everyone back so that was great.

I'm starting to dislike the pressure of being Tommy Jarvis. Especially when I stink so I'm usually the first to die so I'm stuck being Tommy. And then I'm left with half objectives being done, everyone is starting to die off so I don't know where anything is. At that point, I'm just trying to run out the clock which then adds tot he pressure because I know people are watching and critiquing my survival skills.

I'll add you when I get off of work. Could always use some more teammates.

eta- remembered why I wasnt big with mic always on; took a drag while we were loading up and forgot to mute my mic. Got roasted and felt so embarassed.

Any Xbox people feel free to add me, I just like to have fun im not one of these people that talks crap or critiques people. Ive barely been able to play so trust me I have no clue what I am doing.

Maybe won't die as quick on Xbox because LFG is totally saving the game on that console right now. I've met so many new people.

SNIKT!

This game is fucking amazing. So much fun. I'm glad to have backed it. If any of y'all players want to add me on PS4, my name's: SACKOPATH

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Female counselor wear Jason's mom shirt and trigger some event that will make Jason get stunned and then fem counselor can hit him with a bat which will get Jason on his knees and Jarvis then with the machete makes the kill based on what Ive seen.

Pretty much. There are five ways as a counselor to win-
1) survive the 20 min time limit.
2) fix the phone, call the cops, wait for cops, and get to cops
3) fix the boat and boat off
4) fix the car(s) and drive off

That's pretty much it. Since items like keys, gas, batteries, etc are randomized, it's really tense when you find 2/3 items for your escape but can't find the last thing. Or someone has a part but gets killed so you have to try something else, usually hide out the remining time. But it plays out differently every single time because you don't know what the other players are doing. That's why coordination when you find a walkie talkie is important. You can tell otheres what you have and they can tell you what they have so you can gather your resources.

And then there's the fact that there's only two seats in the boat and in one of the cars so some people get assed out which is pretty funny. Or someone brings an important battery but gets left behind.

But yeah, it's a hide and seek, cat and mouse game.

A-ha, yeah, some of this was hard to decipher from the videos and/or write-ups. Sounds like a lot of fun honestly and I'm usually not into online-only gaming as I said.

I assume you pretty much need voice for this, right? Would be cool if they made a demo available.

I escaped as Tommy one time, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any extra points for doing it. So I just started playing as Suicide Mission Tommy once I realized this.

Yeah. We had a Tommy on our team that was in cahoots with Jason. Hilarity ensued when they grabbed a guy in a tent after he gave up his position, blocked the door to another, tricked one guy near the boat and told him he had all the stuff to start it only to get grabbed an dkilled. This game is crazy.

norm9

We had one one guy yesterday on the mic telling everyone that jason was after him so everyone was safe in going after the car with our supplies. Turns out, he was trying to save his own skin as Jason shows up at the car and the entire group gets betrayed with batteries and keys left beside our corpses and the car after everyone dies.

Betrayer was surprised after the game that everyone trusted him so easily.

Ensoul

A-ha, yeah, some of this was hard to decipher from the videos and/or write-ups. Sounds like a lot of fun honestly and I'm usually not into online-only gaming as I said.

I assume you pretty much need voice for this, right? Would be cool if they made a demo available.

Pretty much. Unless you're talking with others it can be difficult to escape.

norm9

Man Bikeman was on point this morning. He was calling out this shithead who came into the chat to shit all over the game and those playing it. He spit some mad truth bombs the only way he can.

Truthbomb 1
Truthbomb 2
Truthbomb 3

Anyone with a paraphrase or transcript? I'm at work. Everyone I've played has echoed the exact same thing. Game is fun as heck and it's annoying when it doesn't work so it'll be even better when fixed. Mostly complaints about disconnects and being stuck in closets.

Any other complaints about something not working I usually assume they're trying to trick me.

ElRenoRaven

Lots of truth there. Good for him to say that.

Yup. It's something I've ranted about before. You can be upset that something isn't working but some of these assholes down right wish death, job loss, their children dying on them, etc just because a mistake was made. The sad thing is these devs have been very good at communicating to everyone about fixing it yet they're getting shit like that wished on them and being told how they should fix it or hire a shitload of new people to fix it with the billions they've obviously made. It's absolutely disgusting how some people act.

Anyone with a paraphrase or transcript? I'm at work. Everyone I've played has echoed the exact same thing. Game is fun as heck and it's annoying when it doesn't work so it'll be even better when fixed. Mostly complaints about disconnects and being stuck in closets.

Any other complaints about something not working I usually assume they're trying to trick me.

Basically what I am saying above. You can be upset but to treat the devs like they're not even human when you have no experience what so ever in the field yet trying to tell them what they should do to fix said issue it makes you a complete and utter shithead. More so when they're trying their ass off and communicating with everyone.

Top Bottom