• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoftware's new project teased (Shadows Die Twice)

Exclusives are the only way developers can be creative without taking risks.
Do you think Quantic Dream or Media Molecule would be making weird games if Sony didn't guarantee their salaries regardless of sales? Remove all exclusives from game lists and see what it's left: generic shooter, generic rpg, generic action game, generic racer, etc. The only innovation would be small indie games.

I removed all exclusives for this gen and I got a list of some of my favorite games this gen?

Witcher 3, overwatch, Arkham Knight, DS3, DOOM, TF2. Am I missing something ?

Bolivar687

Banned
I used to think exclusivity gave studios extra breathing room to push innovation. After so many studio closures and seeing what's left, I'm not so sure anymore. I suppose for third parties, it lets them take their mind off of publishing, marketing, distribution etc., but I don't really see those studios making groundbreaking titles really. On the first party front, Sony's put out some stuff I like this generation, (Uncharted 4 was trash) but it's nowhere near the monster lineups they had year after year on PS3. Not even close.

Vawn

Banned
I removed all exclusives for this gen and I got a list of some of my favorite games this gen?

Witcher 3, overwatch, Arkham Knight, DS3, DOOM, TF2. Am I missing something ?

Mine are Bloodborne, Mario Odyssey, Nioh, God of War, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Resident Evil VII, Persona 5, Dark Souls 3, Cuphead, Witcher 3, Until Dawn and Uncharted 4.

So, yes, there are some great multi-platform games, but I find exclusives are more likely to reach the best of the best status.

Last edited:

Sentenza

>Limiting yourself to one platform
Embarrassing bollocks.
Even if I owned every single platform on the market (which of course I don't, since with the diminishing returns it would simply be an idiotic thing to do, unless your financial situation could allow it comfortably) I'd still vote for being able to pick my favorite version of a software on my platform of choice rather than being force to buy an exclusive.

It's funny how videogames are pretty much the only industry in entertainment where we love to pretend that limiting the potential user base as much as possible and deliberately introducing artificial barriers to the number of people who can potentially access content makes perfect sense and it's something "for the better".

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Embarrassing bollocks.
Even if I owned every single platform on the market (which of course I don't, since with the diminishing returns it would simply be an idiotic thing to do, unless your financial situation could allow it comfortably) I'd still vote for being able to pick my favorite version of a software on my platform of choice rather than being force to buy an exclusive.

It's funny how videogames are pretty much the only industry in entertainment where we love to pretend that limiting the potential user base as much as possible and deliberately introducing artificial barriers to the number of people who can potentially access content makes perfect sense and it's something "for the better".
I see it more of a healthy competition to win their audience over more than anything. Just look at the PC market. Bunch of half assed ports and Steam having a monopoly on things explains the amount of shovelware it has. Or if everything was multi plat EA and Activision would pretty much just buy all the studios only for them to close them down immediately because it didn't sell 10 million copies. You on the other hand could keep voting with your wallet and not buy any console that does exclusives then? Or portables? Yeah!

Furthermore the gaming ecosystem could abandon exclusives and be as shit as the phone games that seem to be selling well because...well everybody has a phone with crappy optimization and not a single game worth playing over actual dedicated game systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar¢tos

Embarrassing bollocks.

Half of the games I like would never have existed if all we had were multiplatform games because they they would be too risky for the investment of releasing on 4 platforms.
So what you want is less and more generic games just so you are not forced to pick a platform.
There would be no way to tell apart consoles apart from their specs, but that wouldn't make any difference since exclusives weren't allowed, forced parity would be mandatory too. It would be the death of gaming, worse than the 80s crisis.

Sentenza

Half of the games I like would never have existed if all we had were multiplatform games because they they would be too risky for the investment of releasing on 4 platforms.
That's a bold faced lie.
There's absolutely no way stuff like Pokemon, Mario or Zelda would be "too much of a risk" as a multiplatform production.
And stuff like Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War (you know, the alleged "blind bets" the industry took) have that immediate, generic appeal (mostly through high production value) that makes them attractive to any market.

I genuinely don't understand how this hilarious pile of crap keeps going around and it's even broadly accepted as insightful by a certain type of users (typically the platform warriors).

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon only existed to push the gameboy just as Mario/Zelda did to push the Nes. Also TIL that the word platform warriors exists. (or term)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when there was no exclusives or quality control and we had like 10 different systems that led to the video game crash? Nah!

Ar¢tos

That's a bold faced lie.
There's absolutely no way stuff like Pokemon, Mario or Zelda would be "too much of a risk" as a multiplatform production.
And stuff like Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War (you know, the alleged "blind bets" the industry took) have that immediate, generic appeal (mostly through high production value) that makes them attractive to any market.

I genuinely don't understand how this hilarious pile of crap keeps going around and it's even broadly accepted as insightful by a certain type of users (typically the platform warriors).
Think whatever you want to think. In the end, your opinion is irrelevant, exclusives exist and are not going away, no matter how much you whine about your dislike for them.
Maybe one day you will learn to accept it, because fighting it will get you nowhere.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Actually BB was a better game for me than DS

Man you are hurting my heart right now.

Bloodborne had some problems that I just can't overlook as a diehard souls fan. DS3 did it best so far.

#1. Customization armor and weapons were dumbed down. I just didn't see as much variety in people's builds.
#2. The Bell Maiden removed the sense of danger from an invading player. The one thing I loved about Souls games is not having a choice of whether someone invaded you or not (other than staying dead, in dark souls 1 and demon souls, which had it's own disadvantages). This was inexcusable.
#3. The magic/ammo system was simply annoying. Magic uses ammo? and guns use Ammo?
#4. The tombstone dungeons outside of the main story was detracting from the actual game but you needed to do them to get different versions of a weapon you wanted. Unnecessary, uninteresting.
#5. Same tombstone dungeons made it very difficult to group with other people. You needed a code that you would share with others...it was just a very confusing system.

Vawn

Banned

Bloodborne had some problems that I just can't overlook as a diehard souls fan. DS3 did it best so far.

#1. Customization armor and weapons were dumbed down. I just didn't see as much variety in people's builds.
#2. The Bell Maiden removed the sense of danger from an invading player. The one thing I loved about Souls games is not having a choice of whether someone invaded you or not (other than staying dead, in dark souls 1 and demon souls, which had it's own disadvantages). This was inexcusable.
#3. The magic/ammo system was simply annoying. Magic uses ammo? and guns use Ammo?
#4. The tombstone dungeons outside of the main story was detracting from the actual game but you needed to do them to get different versions of a weapon you wanted. Unnecessary, uninteresting.
#5. Same tombstone dungeons made it very difficult to group with other people. You needed a code that you would share with others...it was just a very confusing system.

#1 - I missed it at first too, but narrowing down the combat styles helped them achieve the tighter combat. There's room for both styles between the more rpg Souls and more action Bloodborne imo.

#2 - This didn't bother me. Better than people playing offline to avoid invasions

#3 - Magic was very limited overall by design and goes back to #1

#4 - I agree chalice dungeons were uninteresting, but I remember them feeling completely optional and apart from the main game - except for trophies.

#5 - Again, I agree chalice dungeons should probably be ignored by 90% of Bloodborne players.

I absolutely love Bloodborne, but I don't know if I'd rank it higher or lower than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. All three rank high on my favorite games ever.

I do think anyone who spells Bloodborne with a 'u' should be permabanned and Sony should brick their console. But that's just me.

Sentenza

Remember when there was no exclusives or quality control and we had like 10 different systems that led to the video game crash? Nah!
I remember this bullshit revisionist history being debunked dozens of times and people like you ignoring reality and reposing it regularly.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I remember this bullshit revisionist history being debunked dozens of times and people like you ignoring reality and reposing it regularly.
Are you saying a flooded console market and lack of quality control didn't happen?

Vawn

Banned

Calm down. Several of us disagree over the value and significance of exclusive video games. It isn't worth getting so worked up over.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to know how I'm being a history revisionist.

Interesting. I think my ranking goes Demon's Souls>Bloodborne=Dark Souls>Dark Souls 2>Dark Souls 3. Played Dark Souls first.

Armor customization being limited I can see, but then again since armor tends to have to do with weight and BB really wasn't about plated armor or the like in the aesthetic, that what you have left is resistances, which then end up being an armor best for certain resistances. They put the customization on the effect of caryll runes, allowing you to choose your look, instead of putting too much focusing on armor pieces. I can see wanting more customization in terms of runes or and some fun in terms of just having a single large plate armor set, as a joke, like the wooden shield.
However, the trick weapons felt great and you could customize effects on them. I can imagine some like would like to experiment on the various movesets, but I felt like the feeling of trick weapons felt superior. I'd say weapon placement was a bigger problem and kind of makes first runs a bit more boring as some weapons are gotten at different points and since a lot of them are quite different from each other, it hampers your playstyle.

I agree on the invasion mechanic in BB being bad. However, you always have a choice in whether someone invades you. Just stay offline.

I feel like the problem was more the progression system of hunter tools. Made an Arcane build feel pretty similar to everything else, since the hunter tools weren't spread or made to make an arcane build easier. It's not necessarily the ammo that's a problem imo, as you could easily regain bullets in exchange for HP, but rather costs and not customization to regain bullets on hit, either in terms of runes or blood gem customization.

I feel like I'm one of the few who enjoyed the concept of Chalice Dungeons, it's just the implementation I felt had some glaring flaws. Meaning that for it to be less of a drag, you'd have to do them at specific points, so they'd not become too hard or too easy. It ended up easily to be that you ignored them and had to go through a lot of them at once. The variation and mechanics could've been more interesting as well, also it could've been better if PvP encounters became more common as well.

Yeah, I can see that grouping was made hard in Chalice Dungeons.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
According to someone on GAF, it's a multiplatform survival horror game that will premiere at Microsoft's conference.

o_O

Mr Hyde

This is probably my most hyped game announcement. I am a huge fan of Bloodborne and the Souls-series, so I hope that From continues with these types of games for a long time. No other developer who has tried their hand at the formula has done it better, although Team Ninja came pretty damn close with Nioh. I sincerely hope that Shadows Die Twice is not Tenchu, or any other old IP for that matter. I hope it´s a new fresh game, that retains the DNA from BB and Souls, but are free from samurai sword-wielding mad mens and complicated marriages. I also dream of a fourth entry for Dark Souls, directed by Yui Tanimura, that further explores Eleum Loyce. The man has proven himself worthy of taking the reins of the franchise, considering his stellar work on Scholar of the First Sin and Dark Souls 3.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Sees thread bumped, rushes in excited for new info, sees nothing new, gets sad face...

This exact post was removed from here and splitted in a new thread by a mod but after minutes of creating the new thread it was deleted.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/417902596/shadows-die-twice-leaked-information-fromsoftware

The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay -it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm. -the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will take in a dark fantasy world, resembeling ancient Japan.
-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.
-there are no shields, but you can block and counter with your weapon.
-every weapon has a unique counter ability
-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.
-you can climb in the game -some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.
-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later
-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This exact post was removed from here and splitted in a new thread by a mod but after minutes of creating the new thread it was deleted.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/417902596/shadows-die-twice-leaked-information-fromsoftware

The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay -it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm. -the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.
-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.
-you can climb in the game -some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.
-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later
-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot
If that's accurate it sounds great! Thanks

Melo0nFarm3r

Neo Member

Even if it's fake, this is juicy enough to keep me going a week til E3.

Top Bottom