• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoftware's new project teased (Shadows Die Twice)

WaterAstro

Even if it's fake, this is juicy enough to keep me going a week til E3.
Shadows Die Twice is a souls-like Dating Sim where you date kawaii boss monsters from a cabaret. If you pick the wrong dialogue option and piss them off, they will kill you.

Will you be greedy and risk juggling several dates at once? Or will you dedicate your life to the boss monster of you dreams?

Vawn

Banned
Shadows Die Twice is a souls-like Dating Sim where you date kawaii boss monsters from a cabaret. If you pick the wrong dialogue option and piss them off, they will kill you.

Will you be greedy and risk juggling several dates at once? Or will you dedicate your life to the boss monster of you dreams?

Source?

Melo0nFarm3r

Neo Member

Day One.

lifa-cobex

My money is on a new Tenchu.

The Jap writing in the background has me convinced.
I also think that bone rope device is a grapple hook.

That or I just really want a new Tenchu and I'm projecting my wants.

tassletine

Man you are hurting my heart right now.

Bloodborne had some problems that I just can't overlook as a diehard souls fan. DS3 did it best so far.

#1. Customization armor and weapons were dumbed down. I just didn't see as much variety in people's builds.
#2. The Bell Maiden removed the sense of danger from an invading player. The one thing I loved about Souls games is not having a choice of whether someone invaded you or not (other than staying dead, in dark souls 1 and demon souls, which had it's own disadvantages). This was inexcusable.
#3. The magic/ammo system was simply annoying. Magic uses ammo? and guns use Ammo?
#4. The tombstone dungeons outside of the main story was detracting from the actual game but you needed to do them to get different versions of a weapon you wanted. Unnecessary, uninteresting.
#5. Same tombstone dungeons made it very difficult to group with other people. You needed a code that you would share with others...it was just a very confusing system.
Burt it took them 3 attempts to get

Seems like you had a hard time adapting from Souls. I wouldn't exactly call those criticisms, especially as there are lots of odd/broken things in the first 2 games.

I think BB is the most complete souls game personally, just in terms of pace, level design and completeness. DS1 is barely finished and the end game is terrible, just a bunch of empty levels and resued assets. The second game is a bit of mess and has the worst combat but contains some of the best level design and lots of interesting new ideas. The third feels very complete but is mostly a series of long corridors, it's more like a traditional action game. Hardly anything fresh or surprising about it but it's very solid. My favourite apart from BB is DS1 despite those issues as it has the best sense of place -- and is genuinely cruel to the player.

This exact post was removed from here and splitted in a new thread by a mod but after minutes of creating the new thread it was deleted.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/417902596/shadows-die-twice-leaked-information-fromsoftware

The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay -it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm. -the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will take in a dark fantasy world, resembeling ancient Japan.
-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.
-there are no shields, but you can block and counter with your weapon.
-every weapon has a unique counter ability
-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.
-you can climb in the game -some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.
-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later
-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot

I like what I am reading here, The wait is killing me.

Orpheum

This exact post was removed from here and splitted in a new thread by a mod but after minutes of creating the new thread it was deleted.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/417902596/shadows-die-twice-leaked-information-fromsoftware

The game will be souls like in gameplay and atmosphere, but also different by being a lot more open, not having the clear level/Boss design and a more directly told story.

-it will appear at E3 with a full length trailer and some gameplay -it will draw inspiration from both Bloodborne and Fromsoftware's old Ps2 game Kuon

-gameplay is similar to Bloodborne, but more vicious and brutal. It's a bit less wild, but still fast. Kinda like a combination of Nioh/Bloodborne.

-there are skills in this game, including different melee moves, passives and magic. It wont have endless skill trees and the skills wont be big flashy diablo style attacks, just new moves and abilities.

-trick weapons make another appereance, but aren't called trick weapons. Some weapons have 3 forms, others have 2 and there are many weapons that are always 2 handed or 2 part, as there are no side arms or shields.

-the story will be centered around an ancient cult, that has been using farmers for their dark rituals since hundreds of years. As they fear the end of the world, they sacrifice peopla at their shrine of blood and experiment on people. Many of the creatures will be the result of the experiments. It remains unclear for most of the game, whether the cult is really evil or knows more than everyone else. Only a few members are still alive, as the rest has mysteriously vanished.

-you start the game as a heavily maimed and disfigured person at the edge of death. You are saved by a mysterious leader who gives you a new face (character creation) and replaces your missing arm. -the right arm and it will be replaced by an multifunctional device, which serves as a prothetic arm most of the time, but can also be used a some kind of grappling gun to reach higher levels

-the game will take in a dark fantasy world, resembeling ancient Japan.
-the game will heavily draw from Japan mythology with a horror twist. It will not completely based on mythology and still include many original ideas.
-there are no shields, but you can block and counter with your weapon.
-every weapon has a unique counter ability
-enemies will often loose limbs or there heads in combat. Some enemies will spawn parasites from ther beheaded selves, somewhat like Resident Evil 4.
-you can climb in the game -some enemie designs and the atmosphere really resemble a modern Kuon in parts, but it has nothing to do with this game or will play anything like it. Expect one easter egg.
-most of the game will take place in rural places, but there will be a bigger city to explore later
-the game is more open world than the previous titles, but not fully like Skyrim. It offers multiple inter connected levels, that are much larger with multiple possible paths that give the game a lot

if true..I WANT THAT!!!

makaveli60

I like what I am reading here, The wait is killing me.
I'm still hoping for a BB2, but this sounds really good, and as a spiritual sequel to BB in some ways (like DS was for DeS). I just hope the world and enemy design will somewhat resemble BB because that Gothic-Victorian style is amazing.

sublimit

Banned
I wonder if this will be a similar case of going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls where From takes the same concept and gameplay and change lore ,mechanics and setting to be able to justify a change of brand name and basically make a game similar to Bloodborne but this time going multiplatform.

I wonder if this will be a similar case of going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls where From takes the same concept and gameplay and change lore ,mechanics and setting to be able to justify a change of brand name and basically make a game similar to Bloodborne but this time going multiplatform.
ok that would actually be pretty cool. If they could get bloodborne on PC and thus not running at 25fps I'd give it another shot.

DonF

I never believed that a person going up a stair could hype me so much. Damn you, Dorito Pope...

Dontero

Banned
Hopefully it is multiplat. Sold PS4 because there were no interesting games on it and i am to lazy to rebuy it.

Hinedorf

Banned
Bloodborne was fantastic with the exception of the story making little sense in the end, what would be the point of a sequel to that game with how it ends?

I'm honestly curious if people like Dark Souls/BloodBornes utter darkness with complete lack of cohesive conclusion. For game this challenging I expect something to feel less disappointing at the end.

Traxtech

Making little sense? If you put the pieces together the story makes plenty of sense once you hit that final screen depending on the ending you chose

All they'd have to do is have someone else host the nightmare and do new stuff or maybe they'd follow a certain ending and make that part of the story if they did 2.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Bloodborne is the best game I ever played. It was a unique experience for me, blending weird cosmic Lovecraftian horror with great gameplay and level design. And the trick weapons were just too damn cool, with Simon´s Bowblade, Holy Moonlight Sword and Rakuyo being my favourites. I had such a fun time playing it, spending close to 400 hours with a good chunk of that time dedicated to exploring the Chalice Dungeons. BB was so good that I actually became interested in reading H.P Lovecraft stories to see where all the influences were taken from. A spiritual successor to BB would be heaven. If it were a sequel they would have to keep themselves to a certain standard, as to not stray too far off from the original game, but now, they can just take the DNA from BB and improve upon it with even more crazy shit, without any creative restrictions. I hope to god this is true, that it is a spiritual successor like Dark Souls was for Demon´s Souls. Fucking stoked for E3 now.

Bloodborne was an awesome game. This probably isn't the sequel, but there were some recent news/speculations about a true sequel and I'm honestly excited if that's true. But this game only seems like Bloodborne in its trick weapon inspiration, so hopefully it's a new IP.

Bloodborne was fantastic with the exception of the story making little sense in the end, what would be the point of a sequel to that game with how it ends?

I'm honestly curious if people like Dark Souls/BloodBornes utter darkness with complete lack of cohesive conclusion. For game this challenging I expect something to feel less disappointing at the end.

What was wrong with the ending?

Top Bottom