• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fromsoftware's new project teased (Shadows Die Twice)

DavidGzz

Exclusives are good now? Only to Sony or MS. If this game was exclusive to PC people claiming exclusives are a good thing would change their tune. If Bloodborne was also on PC, we would have 60fps and some good mods, not sure how being exclusive to PS is a good thing for gamers.

brap

Banned
Sad if this isn't a souls based game. Big let down. Maybe they could announce a B team is continuing souls on the side perhaps........ please
Lol. There's a million stale ass souls games. We don't need a new one every year. It's turning into CoD. Hope From does something different for once.

fvng

Lol. There's a million stale ass souls games. We don't need a new one every year. It's turning into CoD. Hope From does something different for once.

Bruh it only feels that way because Souls knockoffs are a thing now

Ar¢tos

I dont think FS will make any exclusive game anymore, they already have a lot of money from dark souls series. They could just invest from their fund to make a whole new independent IP, and most 3rd party developer tend to release game on all platform right now since console and PC architecture mostly almost same right now. Heck even DS remastered also released on Switch, so high chance it is not Bloodborne 2,

Most likely something correlate with japanese culture and horror.
Dark Souls is a Namco IP, I doubt From got a fortune from it.
If they could fund a game themselves they would have done BB multiplat (the ideas behind BB came from From, but because Sony paid for it, it is a Sony IP).
They also have a great relationship with Sony and Sony knows their games are popular now and can offer more funding than Namco.
I wouldn't put the possibility of another exclusive game aside.

Masagiwa

If they could fund a game themselves they would have done BB multiplat (the ideas behind BB came from From, but because Sony paid for it, it is a Sony IP).
They also have a great relationship with Sony and Sony knows their games are popular now and can offer more funding than Namco.

I agree with you. They can fund a BB type game now with giant corporate daddy Kadokawa owning the company. Kadokawa also said in their buyout message that they are happy to lend resources to From in the form of money, developers and publishing if it was necessary and made financial sense. Will be exciting to see if they will self-publish their future games worldwide or if they still need help by other publishers like Bandai etc in the west (I doubt it). I just think it's less likely that a publisher would work with another publisher and share the profits if they can do it themselves. But nothing is impossible especially when the insane demand for a certain title is there.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
i really didn't see much flack when street fighter v didn't come out for xbone as oppose to rise of the tomb raider being (temporary) exclusive to xbone and then pc. Really depends on the system plus the game in hand

It's my understanding Capcom had no intentions on making Street Fighter V at that time until Sony offered to help fund the game.

Tomb Raider (which up to that point was mostly associated as a PlayStation franchise) was funded by SquareEnix. Later, Microsoft came in to pay to keep the game off of PS4 for a then undisclosed period of time. Actually, they attempted it to sound as it may be a lifelong Xbox exclusive.

Achelexus

I'll never understand why IPs belong to publishers and not the developers.

Narroo

It's a near Monopsony; limited publishers and many developers. Worse, most publishers can develop their own games and stay afloat if need be, whereas pure developers need publishers. Hence, publishers force developers to sign rights away.

Masagiwa

It's more complicated than that. It's all in the nitty-gritty of the contracts publishers and developers sign. There are publishers who sign deals where they agree to fund the majority of the project and that way gain more control and receive most of the revenue (this is what a lot of smaller devs have to do, to even get a project made). It also works the other way where u have developers who basically are bigger and sign deals where they want to retain control of the IP but are willing to sacrifice revenue to the publisher. Some devs only wants help with distribution. There can also exist contingencies like "You are not allowed to develop a sequel to this game without us being involved bla bla bla".

I.O Interactive for example made a deal with Square Enix to retain all rights for the Hitman IP when they recently went independent again.

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned

Oh, ok thanks for deciding the games are stale. Millions of us completely disagree. You just have to deal with this fact now. So yes, we need a yearly souls game. I am sorry this angers you. Perhaps you should leave the souls community since you add nothing but hate and negativity?

brap

Banned
Oh, ok thanks for deciding the games are stale. Millions of us completely disagree. You just have to deal with this fact now. So yes, we need a yearly souls game. I am sorry this angers you. Perhaps you should leave the souls community since you add nothing but hate and negativity?
Millions of people also like the big bang theory. Your point? If you want to play the same game year after year with a new coat of paint then be my guest. And it's hilarious you say I add hate and negativity just because I'd rather have them work on something else for once. Some of us enjoy new gaming experiences not the same CoD/Madden/Souls/Ass Creed year after year.

DavidGzz

Souls started in 2009 and we've only had 4 in those 8 years. 5 if you count Bloodborne. No developer has been able to match Fromsoft's quality so far. It's not like we're getting an abundance of these types of games that are good quality. CoD had a yearly game plus a lot of competition in the FPS genre. I for one do not feel burnt out on the formula at all. I would love it if we actually had more from competent devs. Hell, it's been over two years since DS3. Comparing it to CoD is a stretch but unsurprising from someone that says we've had millions of stale ass souls games. lol.

There are many other games out there for you to enjoy from several developers, let Fromsoft work on what they do best.

It's similar to the relationship authors, musicians, and filmmakers have with their respective publishers, record labels, and studios; the latter puts up the funding, production, distribution, marketing, and accounting so that the former can work on the creative content. Game devs (and creative types in general) aren't usually business people. But for whatever reason -- probably because games are such a young industry still -- the game publishers have been able to consolidate and flex their power much more than developers, who don't have unions or groups organizing on their behalf like other artists often do (see: Screen Actors Guild, ASCAP/BMI, various legal defense funds, etc). Developers need to organize, but it will never happen.

brap

Banned
Souls started in 2009 and we've only had 4 in those 8 years. 5 if you count Bloodborne. No developer has been able to match Fromsoft's quality so far. It's not like we're getting an abundance of these types of games that are good quality. CoD had a yearly game plus a lot of competition in the FPS genre. I for one do not feel burnt out on the formula at all. I would love it if we actually had more from competent devs. Hell, it's been over two years since DS3. Comparing it to CoD is a stretch but unsurprising from someone that says we've had millions of stale ass souls games. lol.

There are many other games out there for you to enjoy from several developers, let Fromsoft work on what they do best.
They're making Otogi 3? lol jk. I would love if we had more competent devs too. I don't see From changing up the formula anytime soon. I really gotta play Nioh which looks like a fresh take. Shit, if From made a souls game in ancient japan I'd be happy with it.

Reyziak

Sad if this isn't a souls based game. Big let down. Maybe they could announce a B team is continuing souls on the side perhaps........ please
I've heard that teh new game is a new Kuon, which was a survival horror game in the same vein as the original Resident Evils and Silent Hills. The Two Best Friends Play channel did a brief play through of the game on Halloween. Also Miyazaki said that if in five years an employee came up to him and asked if tehy could make a new Souls game, and that if he liked the idea, they could make a new Souls game.

Masagiwa

Some cool fan art inspired by the teaser.

JUScerc.jpg

Art by: LoneCorkonian

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Exclusives are good now? Only to Sony or MS. If this game was exclusive to PC people claiming exclusives are a good thing would change their tune. If Bloodborne was also on PC, we would have 60fps and some good mods, not sure how being exclusive to PS is a good thing for gamers.
I don't see how this hurts players overall. Everyone knows if you want to play Mario you have to buy Nintendo. Exclusives are a given, more of a treat for fans than a punishment as you make it sound. Also not all gamers are into mods or having to keep up with PC gaming.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Again. Who is this Nibel guy?

IIRC and IMHO, Nibel has been a source of information, an avid gamer, and so forth since I've been on GAF. I've seen his posts a handful of times. And apparently a jokester. :/

I have to wonder if this is a totally new project or something they've done before. It'll be interesting. Lore and languages could transverse multiple titles. The evidence of similarities could be true too.

a true spiritual successor to Tenchu would be nice. Another Bloodborne would be fantastic. Something completely new would also be welcome.

Bryank75

Banned
Highly likely to be exclusive from what I see around. But there is still a chance, however slim.

Edit: Whoops , missed the Not exclusive bit.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I don't want to know how boring the triple a gaming landscape would look without exclusive titles. Exactly these games are often the innovation drivers – in many directions.
That's... incredibly stupid.

Exclusives have NO upsides.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

They kind of do. Most multipaltform games will try to appeal to everyone and they end up being games with no real focus and bland most of the time. This honestly how feel about Ubisoft, EA and Activation games theses days.

Ar¢tos

Exclusives are the only way developers can be creative without taking risks.
Do you think Quantic Dream or Media Molecule would be making weird games if Sony didn't guarantee their salaries regardless of sales? Remove all exclusives from game lists and see what it's left: generic shooter, generic rpg, generic action game, generic racer, etc. The only innovation would be small indie games.

Zaffo

They kind of do. Most multipaltform games will try to appeal to everyone and they end up being games with no real focus and bland most of the time.

I feel that goes double for big first party exclusives due to the big money investment, if you care for your design driven bold games, B tier development and Indie is the place to go.
Nowdays i smell a little bit of Ubisoft aroma even in Nintendo games like BotW and Odissey, in the way they try to include way too many collectables and a bit of gameplay for every kind of gamer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel that goes double for big first party exclusives due to the big money investment, if you care for your design driven bold games, B tier development and Indie is the place to go.
Nowdays i smell a little bit of Ubisoft aroma even in Nintendo games like BotW and Odissey, in the way they try to include way too many collectables and a bit of gameplay for every kind of gamer.
Say what you want about Odyssey and Breath of the Wild having too much collectables but at very least they trust the players to explore themselves and it also one of the things GOW does really well even though it's not full open world.

Ar¢tos

With a studio like FROM the only way they can do something huge and memorable is by doing an exclusive. Bandai Namco isn't a big AAA publisher. They can still do memorable things under Namco, but with a smaller scope.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Nibel didn't write those leaks. Another use on ERA wrote them, Nibel just reported it on Twittee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniffing doesnt seem to translate well for gaming as gaming is visual so im not quite sure how to factor that in. Maybe you have a hunting dog or are a werewolf...the broom weapon also makes zero sense. Cant wait to see it. Even though its not bloodborne 2 it could still be a spiritual successor..

Last edited:

DavidGzz

From Software is now a trusted developer. They can release a 7/10 game and it will still make a profit so they don't need Sony or MS money anymore. I do see what others are saying about exclusives being able to take more risks though.

sublimit

Banned
Sniffing doesnt seem to translate well for gaming as gaming is visual so im not quite sure how to factor that in. Maybe you have a hunting dog or are a werewolf...the broom weapon also makes zero sense. Cant wait to see it. Even though its not bloodborne 2 it could still be a spiritual successor..
.... i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you took that seriously.... -_-

Ar¢tos

Souls have an history of having at least one useless weapon in each game. Broken sword hilt, ladle, etc. A broom wouldn't be far fetched.

Top Bottom