• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee - White people fucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

"How many times do we expect black people to build this country for us?"
"If Muslims have to take responsibility for everyone in their community, so do we."
Samantha is killing it.

Audioboxer

White people almost certainly did fuck up, but white is the majority of America so it's always going to be them that fuck up when a decision doesn't go as wanted, and in this instance what is more damning to see is Democrat turn out

TOGIbcP.jpg

The republican base largely stayed at the same number the past few elections. Democrats have steadily declined. It's not as if MORE republicans than ever went out and voted Red/Trump. This was lost because blue stayed at home or decided Hillary wasn't worth voting for.

Disagree with me if you want, but I assure you getting Democrats to win again in 2020 requires them to find out why their own voters left them, not why the same people who vote republican continue to do so.

Cake Boss

Banned
She's legit the proper John Stewart replacement, maybe even better than him in his early days. Her delivery is always on point.

Enzom21

"Do you ever get tired of having to be the bigger person?'
"As a black person in this country, you always have to be the bigger person."

I know I'm tired of it at this point.

"Do you ever get tired of having to be the bigger person?'
"As a black person in this country, you always have to be the bigger person."

Boy, ain't this the truth. We treated badly, we have to turn the other cheek. But when we call out racism anytime, we get told to shut it down.

SilentRob

Thank god. I saw Conan's and James Corden's (I know, I know) monologues and they were full of the usual "Hey, were are the land of the free, land of opportunity, we just have to believe in our country, USA USA" patriotic bullshit completely ignorant of all the people who can't just say "Heh, yeah, doesn't affect me, I'll just deal with it with ignorance, lol" but are directly influenced by this.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
White people almost certainly did fuck up, but white is the majority of America so it's always going to be them that fuck up when a decision doesn't go as wanted, and in this instance what is more damning to see is Democrat turn out

TOGIbcP.jpg

The republican base largely stayed at the same number the past few elections. Democrats have steadily declined. It's not as if MORE republicans than ever went out and voted Red/Trump. This was lost because blue stayed at home or decided Hillary wasn't worth voting for.

Disagree with me if you want, but I assure you getting Democrats to win again in 2020 requires them to find out why their own voters left them, not why the same people who vote republican continue to do so.
That's ridiculous, and it's not how statistics work, at all. Just because the GOP numbers are similar doesn't mean it's the same people voting again and again and DNC voters are lazy and stayed at home playing with their PS4s.

What you are actually doing is endorsing a voting intention to people that didn't go to vote, and that is just the wrong way to see it. It's not the same people voting, people can change views, there are old voters who die and new voters.

If everyone was forced to vote, maybe the results would be different (and lean on any side), but we have no way of knowing that.

zbarron

I agree somewhat but there's another conclusion to draw from it. Voter suppression is really what won the Republicans the presidency. Granted it was probably both.

Audioboxer

That's ridiculous, and it's not how statistics work, at all. Just because the GOP numbers are similar doesn't mean it's the same people voting again and again and DNC voters are lazy and stayed at home playing with their PS4s.

What you are actually doing is endorsing a voting intention to people that didn't go to vote, and that is just the wrong way to see it. It's not the same people voting, people can change views, there are old voters who die and new voters.

If everyone was forced to vote, maybe the results would be different (and lean on any side), but we have no way of knowing that.

I agree somewhat but there's another conclusion to draw from it. Voter suppression is really what won the Republicans the presidency. Granted it was probably both.

I know people can change, but you win elections through getting enough votes. When not enough Democrats turned out to beat Trump of all people the party most certainly does need to investigate why, and also why they have bled votes since Obama. It is literally their JOB to now do this. Trends in statistics can be looked at, covering your eyes and screaming hearsay at paying attention to stats does absolutely nothing to help. What I said above is true, it's now up to the Democrats to find out why. The Republicans turned out in similar numbers to how they have the last 3 elections, Democrats have been bleeding voters.

No one is getting forced to vote either, so even bringing that up is pointless.

Genuine question.

Looking in from the UK (Remainer) there was a lot of rhetoric that it was uneducated and xenophobic masses who voted against staying in the EU. Reading and watching the news via the BBC I am seeing similar theories being put forward as to why Trump won.

Over 17m UK citizens and 60m US citizens can't all be xenophobic white folk surely? Are we not seeing that the working and middle class majorities are being protectionist about what they have? And by that I mean are they voting the way they are in an attempt to maintain or improve their OWN lot in life rather than all be homophobic and xenophobic racists? Since 2008 the majority have paid more or the same for less and the current populist vote seems to be a product of that.

I genuinely just can't see that many people being anti LBGT or that many being racist?

Genuine question.

Looking in from the UK (Remainer) there was a lot of rhetoric that it was uneducated and xenophobic masses who voted against staying in the EU. Reading and watching the news via the BBC I am seeing similar theories being put forward as to why Trump won.

Over 17m UK citizens and 60m US citizens can't all be xenophobic white folk surely? Are we not seeing that the working and middle class majorities are being protectionist about what they have? And by that I mean are they voting the way they are in an attempt to maintain or improve their OWN lot in life rather than all be homophobic and xenophobic racists? Since 2008 the majority have paid more or the same for less and the current populist vote seems to be a product of that.

I genuinely just can't see that many people being anti LBGT or that many being racist?
We lost because people didn't get out and vote. It's really that simple. Hillary got 6 million+ votes less than Obama did 4 years ago and Trump got less votes than Romney did.

Hopefully studies will give a clear number on how many voters were shut out due any voting laws added.

In the end, we all should probably look inward with this, like with any setback. But:

"How many times do we expect black people to build this country for us?"
"If Muslims have to take responsibility for everyone in their community, so do we."
Samantha is killing it.

Is so true. We all means WE ALL. Not just minorities.

Weckum

TOGIbcP.jpg

This is not a good graph, FYI.

cheezcake

Voter suppression is disgusting but I think we're going to see some evidence that it impacted Clinton to a meaningful scale, it really does just seem like she was a weak and uninspiring candidate.

Audioboxer

This is not a good graph, FYI.

Why not? Numbers were down for voters, you can't exactly hide it. Non voters were at 46.9%, the highest it's been in quite a while.

And yes I know good guy Obama was a legend, and people wanted to turn out for him in larger numbers, but hey, that's part of the parcel the Democrats need to look at with why Hillary maybe wasn't one the best candidates ever like some said. Her legacy has now ended with she lost to Donald fucking Trump.

dramatis

Why not? Numbers were down for voters, you can't exactly hide it. Non voters were at 46.9%, the highest it's been in quite a while.

And yes I know good guy Obama was a legend, and people wanted to turn out for him in larger numbers, but hey, that's part of the parcel the Democrats need to look at with why Hillary maybe wasn't one the best candidates ever like some said. Her legacy has now ended with she lost to Donald fucking Trump.
He means that the graph starts at 52m, so it looks like twice as many people voted in 2008 as opposed to 2016 if you only look at the bars.

Usually there is a swiggle to show that there's a giant chunk of graph missing.

Audioboxer

He means that the graph starts at 52m, so it looks like twice as many people voted in 2008 as opposed to 2016 if you only look at the bars.

Usually there is a swiggle to show that there's a giant chunk of graph missing.

Oh right, yeah, that's ridiculous. I said that yesterday when that graph first popped up. Someone doesn't know how graphs work. Should start at 0.

It shows absolute numbers. Percentages of voting-age population is a lot better. It's also deceiving because the y-axis doesn't start at 0 which makes the difference look a lot worse.

Not saying numbers weren't down (because they definitely were), but the graph itself is bad.

Yeah I agree now that I know what you meant.

Weckum

It shows absolute numbers. Percentages of voting-age population is a lot better. It's also deceiving because the y-axis doesn't start at 0 which makes the difference look a lot worse.

Not saying numbers weren't down (because they definitely were), but the graph itself is bad.

edit: Also, the Samantha Bee segment is awesome.

ogbg

According to the census bureau the last 4 elections had: 49.7%, 44.3%, 44.9%, 45.1% no shows out of the voting population. Since 1972 it's varied between 40% and 50%. It's more or less normal it seems.

Sure if by white people you mean the white people running the DNC.

It was a failure by all of us white people. We all should have done more to prevent this from happening. But those who made the choice to vote for the fascist Trump are the most responsible.

Curufinwe

Sure if by white people you mean the white people running the DNC.

No, the white people in swing states who were dumb enough to think Trump's massive tax cuts for the wealthy and protectionist trade policies will actually help them out of the shitty lives they made for themselves.

edit: Also, the Samantha Bee segment is awesome.

why the fuck would you start a graph with values up to 70 million at 0? This graph shows us that 10 million dem voters are missing from 08 and if dems are going to win in 2020 they have to figure out why they stayed home

Weckum

why the fuck would you start a graph with values up to 70 million at 0? This graph shows us that 10 million dem voters are missing from 08 and if dems are going to win in 2020 they have to figure out why they stayed home

Because at first glance now it looks like the number of Dems voting for Obama in 08 was double the number of Reps, which is not true.

But like I said, percentage of voting-age population would be better anyway because 70 million now isn't the same as 70 million 8 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom